Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

Hi Jon ! How does your SM compares to your #3 ? I just ordered two of them yesterday. I hope that they'll fall between my #2 and my #3. My goal would then be a double no set close with both of them (i don't expect to be able to do that with #3s within a few years :laugh ).

Train Hard !

Amaury.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Amaury,

From my brief use of it I'd say it definitly falls somewhere between my #2 and #3 grippers...now which gripper it's closer to is hard to say at this point as it's beyond my abilities to close. I haven't bothered trying to read it on my bathroom scale as I find I get different readings everytime with grippers above a #2. I'm going to eventually get around to putting one in a vice and hang weight's off the free handle to get a more consistent read.

Jon@han

Tuesdays training:

Tried some thick bar (2") powercleans and presses haven't touched these since Jan. or Feb?.

75x2, 95x1, 115x1, 135x1, 155x1, 175x1. I don't know if this was a pr or not but it sure felt like one.

Wristplate curl: (10x2)x5, 25x2, (25+5+2 c-clamps-total 35lbs)x5 singles!!! Have to watch the form though some of these the rom was decreased. 25+c-clamp x9 reps left, 7 right

Plate pinch: (25x2)x40 jogging steps in place, 25+35x1 deadlift, (35x2)x3 singles deadlifts

Coin pinch 0.25$: 7.5 x10 singles between thumb and finger pad

sidefinger pinch 17.5lbs x4 singles

Thumb clamp x10 negatives

Todays training:

2.5" thick bar farmers: @102.5lbs x90 feet without put down. Return trip turned into a deadlift session having to put them down 5 times on the way back!!

Bending:

Doubleoverhand: 40d's x3, 60d's x5 most of them required some bracing of arms off hip/thigh

Hand over hand: 40d x1, 60d x1, -.5"x1, -1" x2

Underhand: 40d x1

Also took one of the crappy tire nails the Straub brother's gave me and bent the thing over my power cage to the 90 degree mark and chest crushed it the rest of the way. Man these things are monsters!!!! Some day...some day!!

Jon@han

Thurs, todays training:

Moderate gripper work.

T: x1

A: x1

#1:x1

SA RH@15lbs: held for 5 count x10 sets.

T: 7 reps close rom, 7 reps mid rom, 7 reps full rom as one set.

Blockweights:

20's x5 straight arms to overhead

30's x1 " "

35 x1 clean and press

35+2.5lbs x5 deadlifts two were only partial lifts couldn't stand straight with them

40 x5 negatives

thumb clamp x10 negatives

Jon@han

Gm, yes they are one mighty piece of steel.

Friday's training:

One arm barbell deadlift: 45x10, 95x8, 115x3, 135x1, 185x6 singles.

Tried some lockouts with the pins set on 2nd position was able to get 225 off the pins but it ROLLED out of my hands very quickly...ughh! this ain't thick bar work.

So I did some Jefferson squat (or whatever you call a two hand deadlift with the barbell between your legs)

225x1, 275x1, x1, 375x1, x1, x1, x1

Plate curl: 25x5, 35x3, 35+2.5lbs and c-clamp x2 reps for five sets, 35x5 reps.

Block weight underhand catches: 20x10, 30x5, 35x8

Jon@han

Training for BFGS II already I see.

:mosher

Rick Walker :rock

Yes Rick, if I don't start training now I'll embarass myself especially in the medley. I'd appreciate any tips on training for the one arm barbell deadlift, I'm hoping the Jefferson lift lockout will help me a little bit with the akwardness of the lift.

Jon@han

That's a prodigious plate curl weight you're using, Jonathan.

Speaking of the contest, do you have Fat Bastard's iron shot device? (I forget the name of it)

And by the way, didn't I read in the past that your back has been seriously injured at some point. I thought of it when I noticed your were pulling 375 on the Jefferson lift. Nice progress you're makin all around!

Thnaks Eric,

Ya I have a chronic bad back so I do have to watch the training a bit. It's the main reason why I started to get serious with strength training as it was the only thing that helped but like a double edged sword I tend to re-injure the back training. The Jefferson was off the 2nd pin on my rack BTW, first time I tried the movement.

Thanks for noticing the plate curl, I'm hoping to hit a semi strict 45 around the new year mark. I've got a pretty smooth 45 cheat curl.

The Bomb dude, It's the Bomb!!!

I haven't started training for the shot lift yet. I think the shipping up here would kill me for the loadable one so I figured I would try training with a softball and ducttape. The other thing I could do is get an 8lb shot locally and drill and tap it so I can put an eye bolt on it.

Jon@han

Practice it often is my only advice.

Also-no hook grip is allowed so dont use that!

Only other thing that may help is double overhand homds with a loaded barbell for time-

Rick Walker :rock

hey jon, while we're on the topic of plate curling i finally swung that 45lbs plate up, tough stuff. My bending is improving, so far those crappy tire nails are good training, i have to take it easy on my left wrist though, a little too much torque for that wrist. Since i'm in a hurry to close the #4 i really need to get down to business, my sweep isn't that good on the #4, so i'm working on no sets with the #3, I'm getting there too, on a good day I'm around Parallel, i can bring it in with 2 hands and get around 3/8 and hold it with one hand.

My post on the weekend got lost with the memory reboot, but thanks for the no hook reminder Rick. Although to be honest I wouldn't have considered using it anyways can't take the pressure on the ol' thumb.

Amaury, when I get a stricter 45 curl I'll be sure to mail in a video to wanna.

Stefan,

Damn, your progress is scary!!!! Wish you'd start a training log on your grip routines! Those bloody Crappy Tire nails are still beyond me!!!

Today's training heavy gripper work:

T,A,#1,SA,M, all x1

Filed #2: pinned for 10 count

SM: solid negative

#3: 8 negatives all were solid except 3.

GM: 5 negatives ok sets

E: my hands were pretty toast by this point so it was pretty pathetic x1 negative

ISG@181(8,5) pinned for 10count, 185(11,1) pinned for 10 count

Outerlimit loops: 20lbs x10 high pulls, x7 high pulls, x 5 bent over rows, held for 10 count

Jon@han

Did an extra bending session last night focusing on the double overhand style.

40d's x5

easy 60d's x1, -1/2" x1, -1" x1, -1.25"x1, -1.5" x0 all were with a touch of bracing

The more I play with these 60d's the more I'm convinced that these maybe the timber ties I have sought for so long. They are so much easier then my other 60d's there's just no comparison.

Today's training:

2" barbell deadlift double overhand: 75x10, 125x3, 165x3, 255x3,x3,x3,x3

Wrist plate curl: (10x2)x10, 25x5, (25+5+2 c-clamps)x1, x1 wrists were toast had to drop the weight -(25+5+c-clamp)x3 singles, (25+c-clamp)x9 reps

0.25$ pinch: 10lbs x10 singles alternating until completed

side pinch: 17.5lbs x10 singles alternating until completed

Plate pinch: (25x2) both hands at once jogged in spot x60 steps, (35x2) x10 alternating deadlifts with assisted lift

barbell rollups: 45x10, 85x10, 115x10, 135x8, x8

block weight deadlifts:

35x1

35+2.5lbs x10 singles!!

I'll get my 40lber up yet!!!!!

Jon@han

Today's training:

Shut a #2 right out of the package at the store where I bought my first coc. Also bent one of my easy 60d/possible timber tie for the owner as well. He thought it was great so he hung it on his wall. :laugh So to put it in perspective for him I told him about all the crazy things I've seen fellow grip board members do!!!

Got home late from present hunting, pitch dark and -2 celcius outside but it was thick bar farmers walk day. Instead of playing it sane and doing some stationary marching I took them out for their walk> Got the 90 feet with 105lbs on each bar!!! But that was it, donno if it was the cold leaching in through the cooling metal or my grip was fatigued from yesterdays thickbar deadlifts but that was all I managed.

Bending hand over hand style:

TT?x1

grade 2 1/4" bolt x5" x1 PR as the only bolts I've bent before were all threaded

galvanized 60d x2

1/4" threaded rods x6" x2 taped together.

Metal Super market 1/4" x6"

Elbow started complaing so this was it

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Good job with the two John... would you consider that #2 being around the same strength as your other #2's??

Edited by gripmaster316

GM,

I find the grippers always feel tougher brand spanking new, it was one of the newer ones with the coc label in the middle.

Jon@han

Last nights training moderate gripper work and block weights

T: x1, A: x1, #1:x1,

SA RH@20lbs xheld for 5 count x 10 sets!!!

21's with #1: 7reps close rom, x7 reps mid rom, x6 full rom one set

Block weight:

20x3 swings to overhead

30sx1 clean and press

deadlifts

35x1

35+2.5lbs x1

35+5 x1

40x3 negatives

Hope to get one more workout intoday before I leave for holidays

Jon@han

Todays workout:

1 arm barbell deads: 45x10, 95x6, 115x1, 135x1, 190 x6 singles

Jefferson from #1 pin: 135x3, 225x2, 315x2, 385x1 Woah! A lot harder with the increase in rom only got one done with my left hand in front couldn't even budge it off the rack with my right in front so all be walking sideways the rest of the day !!! :laugh

Plate curl: 25x5, 35x1, 35+2.5lbs c-clampx3 reps for 5 sets, 35x7 reps

Had to try one last ruler hold before the hollerdaze:

SA RH@22.5lbs held for 10 count

Now it's time to pack and get some sleep for the early flight to Miami cruise bound for a week so expect to hear me weighing in over 220lb when I get back (they have a 24hr pizza shop on board)

Jon@han