Nockowt1 Grip Training Log

nockowt1

1/24

Grip

Grippers (CCS)

-left hand: #1x20 singles

-right hand: #1.5x20 singles

-right hand: #2.5x5 singles (choked to parallel)

-left hand: IMTUG4x2x10 (ring and pinky), IMTUG4x2x10 (index and middle)

-right hand: IMTUG4x2x10 (ring and pinky), IMTUG4x2x10 (index and middle)

Hub Lifting

-left hand: 35x3x5 seconds

-right hand: 45x3x5 seconds

-left hand: 40x5 seconds

-right hand: 50x5 seconds

Card Tearing (lengthwise)

-13x2

-26x1

-56x1

Bending (reverse)

-1/4"x6" Grade 2 Bolt (triangle) 200lbs

-1/4"x6" Grade 5 Bolt (TY FNL) 375lbs PR

Everything about this workout was great. I was able to use a harder gripper than the last the workout and with a few more workouts I'll be to able to go up again. My goal of doing a CCS close with the #2.5 is getting much closer. My goal of a double 45 hub lift is also getting much closer. I was smart enough to get my lengthwise card tear on video this time. I didn't do it as fast I wanted to so I'll be working on that. Originally I wasn't planning on bending, but as good as my workout was going I decided to see what I was capable of. After bending a grade 2 bolt to 90 degrees in 3 seconds I convinced myself that I would be able to bend a grade 5 bolt. This bend was just as hard as I expecting it to be, but I was successful. I was a little sloppy at the end, but I'll work on that.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nockowt1

• David_wigren

• matthcarl

• MalachiMcMullen

congrats on the reverse G5! :rock

are you focosing more on reverse now?

Thanks David. Yes, reverse is the only kind of bending I'm doing right now because my wrists are still too weak to bend DU effectively (I can't keep them straight). I prefer reverse anyway because I feel that if I haven't bent something in 30 seconds that it's not going to get bent.

congrats on the reverse G5! :rock

are you focosing more on reverse now?

Thanks David. Yes, reverse is the only kind of bending I'm doing right now because my wrists are still too weak to bend DU effectively (I can't keep them straight). I prefer reverse anyway because I feel that if I haven't bent something in 30 seconds that it's not going to get bent.

Kevin, your wrists will bend doing DU, sometimes to a frightening degree. David Ostlund, who did the Red with this style prior to becoming a pro strongman, was scary to watch. All I could think was, "OUCH!"

Just go slowly and supplement with some hammer levering to the nose.

1/29

Grip

Grippers (CCS)

-left hand: #1x20 singles

-right hand: #1.5x20 singles

-right hand: #2.5x5 singles (choked to parallel)

-left hand: IMTUG4x2x10 (ring and pinky), IMTUG4x2x10 (index and middle)

-right hand: IMTUG4x2x10 (ring and pinky), IMTUG4x2x10 (index and middle)

Hub Lifting

-left hand: 25, 35, 40

-right hand: 35, 45, 47.5

Card Tearing

-13x4

-26x2

-65x1

Nothing too special about this workout because my left forearm was a little sore.

Good workout, Kevin.

re: grippers, that's a lot of singles, have you considered some overcrushes instead ? Also, are you able to close the 2.5 unchoked ?

re: hub...nice hubbing. Is this the IM hub or similar or are you using actual plates with weight added as needed ?

Stay strong .. neilkaz ..

Good workout, Kevin.

re: grippers, that's a lot of singles, have you considered some overcrushes instead ? Also, are you able to close the 2.5 unchoked ?

re: hub...nice hubbing. Is this the IM hub or similar or are you using actual plates with weight added as needed ?

Stay strong .. neilkaz ..

Thanks Neil. I actually do a 2 second overcrush with each single. As I start to use more difficult grippers I will do less singles. The last time I tried the #2.5 unchoked I got it about 1/4" from closed.

I've used the IM hub in the past and I don't like it. It's too slippery (with or without chalk) and it's alot deeper than the hubs on my plates. I like using actual plates much better. In far away future I would like to do a double 60lb hub lift (a 45 plus 3-5s in each hand). My best hub lift so far was a 45 in the right and a 25 in the left.

tearing 65 cards, nice job dude.

Thanks Sam. They were cheap cards. I hope to tear 112 of the cheap cards by the end of the year. I also want to tear a Bicycle deck by the end of the year.

1/31

Grip

Rolling Thunder

-45x5

-90x5

-100x3

-115x3

-125x1

-135x1

Hub Lift

-left hand: 25, 35, 37.5, 40

-right hand: 35, 45, 45, 50

-45 right, 35 left hand

My grippers needed to be oiled so I didn't do any gripper work today. All of the rolling thunder lifts were easy so I may be able to do 150 in the next workout. The hub lifting went pretty well. I'm hoping to lift a 45 with the left (full deadlift) in the next workout.

2/2

Grip

Rolling Thunder

-45x5

-90x5

-100x3x3

Hub Lift

-left hand: 25, 35, 40, 45 (2" of air)

-right hand: 25, 35, 45, 50

Plate Pinch

-2 25sx2

Bending (reverse)

-3/16"x7" sq

-3/16"x6"sq

-1/4"x7" round

-1/4"x6" round

-1/4"x7" sq (fail)

-1/4"x7" hex (fail)

-1/4"x5.5" Grade 5 bolt (TY/FNL) PR

This workout didn't start off too special, but it ended up being pretty good. My hub lifting is definitely getting better. I hadn't done pinch in a while so I wanted to see if I could still do 2-25s. They were no problem. I still had some energy left so I decided to do some bending. I tried the 1/4"x7" sq and it didn't budge. I'm definitely not there yet. I then tried the 1/4"x7" hex and it also didn't budge. I couldn't believe it. I figured I would try one more hard bend so I went for a 5.5" grade 5 bolt. This was easier than the 6" grade 5 bolt I bent before. I'll probably try a 5" grade 5 bolt in a week or two.

2/5

Grip

Rolling Thunder

-45x5

-90x5

-105x3x3

Hub Lift

-right hand: 35, 45, 45

Plate Pinch

-50 (2-25s)

-55 (2-25s, 2-2.5s)

-60 (2-25s, 2-5s)

Bending (reverse)

-3/16"x7

-3/16"x6

-3/16"x5

-1/4"x7

-1/4"x6

-1/4"x5" grade 2 bolt

-1/4"x5" FBBC grade 5 bolt PR:

-1/4"x6" FBBC grade 8 bolt (fail)

I wasn't going to bend today, but decided to do a few easy pieces to see how I felt. I was able to bend all the easy stuff to at least 70 degrees in 5 seconds. Since I was feeling kinda good I wanted to see if I could get a 5" grade 5. This bend took everything I had. I don't know how Booyah does it with the short pieces of steel because there's nothing to hold on to. Once I got the grade 5 I figured that the grade 8 would be no problem. I was wrong. It didn't budge.

good work. The gr8 is a hard one mate. It took me about a week to get from my first grade5 to a grade8. With the grade8 just put everything you have into the kink. It will go eventually if you keep hitting it. Watch the crushdown on it though it is very springy.

You'll get that G8 Kevin! You where just tired from all the stuff you did before it

good work. The gr8 is a hard one mate. It took me about a week to get from my first grade5 to a grade8. With the grade8 just put everything you have into the kink. It will go eventually if you keep hitting it. Watch the crushdown on it though it is very springy.

Luckily I won't have to worry about the crush because I'll doing the bend reverse. Eventually I will start training my crush because I want to cert on the red sometime in the future (the far future).

You'll get that G8 Kevin! You where just tired from all the stuff you did before it

I really hope that's true.

Oh ok i thought you bend reverse half way and then crush it from there to get it to 2''. I must admit i'm not an on expert on bending rules for different styles etc... You should start doing a bit of crush work if you want the red!

Eventually I will start training my crush because I want to cert on the red sometime in the future (the far future).

You might surprise yourself. You have some strong wrists to reverse a G5. I can't, that's for sure.

Great job Kevin! First 6" G5 reverse on January 24...and already hitting the 5" G5 is great progress. Keep roaring through it. I'd definitely say the 6" G8 is easier reverse than a 5" G5.

Thanks for the support everyone. After some much needed rest (my hands are still sore) and after I get some more steel I'll be going for the grade 8 again. I may also convince myself to try the 1/4" square.

Thanks for the support everyone. After some much needed rest (my hands are still sore) and after I get some more steel I'll be going for the grade 8 again. I may also convince myself to try the 1/4" square.

Rest up and kill 'em, Kevin !!

Rest up and kill 'em, Kevin !!

I ag :D ree!!!!!!

2/7

Grip

Rolling Thunder

-45x5

-90x5

-105x3x3

Hub Lift

-right hand: 35, 45, 50

Plate Pinch

-50lbs (2-25s)

-60lbs (2-25s, 2-5s)

I strained my left bicep during the rolling thunder lifts somehow and it got worse as I continued the workout. It really hurts now so I'll be taking some time off.