Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

9 Nov 06

Another great workout today.

1. First off tried a 7" x 8mm bar left by Big Steve (he said it was like a red - I think it was a FBBC Bastard bar) and bent it to 5 degrees. This was harder than a Red.

2. Secondly I bent the Red I bent to 10 degrees the other day, another 2 degrees up to 12 degrees.

3. Bent a Grade 8 x 5" bolt to 15 degrees.

4. Finished by easily bending two 6" nails taped together to about 60 degrees then finished them off.

Rest of the training followed.

David

GREAT bending David!!! :rock Even moving a 5" Grade 8 Reverse has got to be about as hard as moving the Red.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

Last nigth I warmed up and took a shot at a 5.5 G5. I didn't have anything here to get the degrees of the kink ,but I will pick that up this week and try another one soon. I think I had enough of a kink befor I crushed it down. It looked like it was around 45. I got it on video and will link it from the farmstrength page as soon as we can get it up. You guys can judge for your selves. It is the first one I have done RS.

Excellent bend Nick! Is this the first 5.5" Grade 5 you've done, or did you mean the first Reverse bending you've done? I thought you bent Reverse at the BBB2 but I can't remember for sure. Great work man. And how long have you been bending?

jay threw a G8 at me today and said go for it........it definitely moved 10 deg kink........

just to show how weak the left is........let's just say I am way off from a 60d

someone please lend me a left wrist and hand!!

Great news Burner! Glad to hear you're getting that dang Grade 8 to move...at least someone is! :cool You'll get it soon it sounds like. Like David said, 10 today and 45 the next time.

Excellent bend Nick! Is this the first 5.5" Grade 5 you've done, or did you mean the first Reverse bending you've done? I thought you bent Reverse at the BBB2 but I can't remember for sure. Great work man. And how long have you been bending?

Thanks Ben. I did bend RS at the BBB. IT has how I have always bent. This is the second 5.5 G5 I have done but the first I have done RS. The other one I did DO.

Edited by nickr104

On my video at the time I didn't think about pulling it out of the wraps to show the kink. I think you can kind of tell where it is at when I go to crush i down. I will do a better video he in the next week or so. I will still post it anyway.

Edited by nickr104

Is 1/4" FBBC Square harder than a Grade 8, but easier than a Red?

If so this could be a good stepping stone.

Would it be grouped with a G8 x 5"?

Anyone?

In the kink a 7" x 1/4" square is easier than a Red and harder than a G8, yes.

I refer to FBBC stock only.

Check my progression list in this thread (Post #29).

Can't compare that to a 5" G8 though.

Today I witnessed my buddy Florian killing a G8 reverse style to more than 45°. :mosher

As a side note:

Flo still doesn't train bending at all.

Very impressive Flo. :bow

That means, we have one Level 9 bender: Flo and one Level 10 bender: David.

You are the guys to be chased now. :D

Well, to explain that a bit:

Flo is an armwrestler and has tremendous strong wrists.

So, even if the reverse style is a bit technical, his wrists are strong enough to compensate the technical 'details'.

Edited by FrankyBoy

Franky,

I told you he would do well - strong wrists!

Well done Flo!

Thanks for the info in Post #29, I will possibly get some to work on, and test how they 'feel'.

Once again, great to see you doing well Flo.

David

I am glad to see that people now recognises reverse bending as the excellent test of wrist strength it really is, something I have pointed out for years.

And yes there is definitely a correlation between reverse bending and armwrestling ability.

Mikael,

Yes this style of bending is very similar to the armwrestling feeling. I went on the a/w table the other day and felt quite strong even though I hadn't armwrestled for ages. My wrist feels strong and thick, this type of bending will only help the DO benders who are participating in this.

David

Franky,

I told you he would do well - strong wrists!

Well done Flo!

Thanks for the info in Post #29, I will possibly get some to work on, and test how they 'feel'.

Once again, great to see you doing well Flo.

David

Thanks Franky and David! It was no easy bend and I think I have to train bending now to make more progress and go for the Red.

12 Nov 06

Worked on the bent Red again and put another 3 degrees bend into it, up to 15 degree bend now.

Then workload with the machine.

David

Here is the video I had of the 5.5 G5 I did the other day.

Like I said befor I am not sure if it was at 45 befor I started to crush it, but I think it was close if it wasn't. I will do another one this week or next and show the kink.

Nick,

It certainly looked in the area of 45 degrees, and looked nice and easy. May as well get one done (or something bigger) next week and put it on a protractor. G8's here you come!

David

16 Nov 06

Worked on the bent Red again and didn't bend it anymore, still at 15 degree bend.

Finished by easily bending two 6" nails taped together to about 60 degrees then finished them off.

Then workload with the machine.

David

just for kicks I went after a 7" piece of round HRS............

to those of you that can move this stuff or better reverse :bow:bow

wow........I'm nowhere near a wabble :whacked

Edited by burner

I'm at the 2 year mark for grip and I have to admit if I could start all over I would have of course started sooner but the wrists would have been my highest priority

burner,

I've been lucky enough to have always trained my wrists hard right from my first serious grip training in about 1985.

David

Would you guys say that the wrist is like the stomach during a squat, aiding the stability so the power can be transferred?.......If so then the red will be the goal for reverse , both sides of course. I wonder how pat knew to train reverse before he went bezerk with DO.......

Piling up the 60d's.....

Burner

Burner,

I would say that the wrists get a helluva workout through reverse bending, but so does my fingers (very similar to using a gripper on my holding hand), and also my brachioradialis gets a hammering (just like when I armwrestle).

David

Great info David...keep it coming!

Yesterday I bent all 3 styles for fun. Nothing very special on any of them but did okay.

All Reverse:

Timber tie. Easy.

Then jumped to my goal of a 1/4"X6" Grade 8. That was dumb. :blink A micro kink in it. And by micro I mean so tiny that the only way I could tell it was kinked was by lying it flat on the countertop. The middle of the bolt was touching the counter top, but technically there was no way to measure the penny kink because the head wasn't off the ground when measuring that way. Tiny kink. Still a first though.

Tried a 1/4"X5" Grade 5. 1 penny kink. Dang!

Then a 1/4"X6" Diamond Grade 5, which is a lot harder than my other Grade 5s at any length. Got a 20 degree kink in it. New PR because it's close to the Grade 8.

At this point my elbows were starting to hurt, reverse bending is the only thing that does that to them. But I went ahead and bent a few more.

Hard 60D Nail. Moderately hard at that point.

Easy 60D Nail. Melted it.

Bencrush,

Keep working on them, they will get easier, and the angles will grow.

Armwrestling can flair up elbows as well, but neither a/w or reverse bending agrivates my elbows.

David