Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

bencrush,

There's also a video around of me using the reverse style somewhere. The reverse bending style is a lot kinder on my shoulder and enables me to bend still. I now have my surgery date for my shoulder which is Dec 12th, so no doubt I'll have time out after this to recover from the op.

burner,

You can just reverse the bending by using the other hand to front lever, just remember to take it easy as you'll probably be weaker. I train both sides on my machine, and this machine should be ready soon. I'm training with the second prototype right now. I'll keep all posted soon.

David

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

Great bending guys! :rock Can anyone point me to some videos of a clearly visible Reverse style bend?

I love the two clips of Steve Weiner that can be found on www.cyberpump.com

Not sure if I wanna put the link to the video here, in case it's against the rules or whatever.

Weiner is the man!

Edited by Mats Erik

bencrush,

There's also a video around of me using the reverse style somewhere. The reverse bending style is a lot kinder on my shoulder and enables me to bend still. I now have my surgery date for my shoulder which is Dec 12th, so no doubt I'll have time out after this to recover from the op.

David

Thanks David. I appreciate the comments. I'll find that video of you bending to clear up any form issues that I'm sure I have. I don't plan on making any huge bends this way but do want to see what's possible with a little training. Did a Yellow Nail last night with a bit of difficulty but it was the bizarre method that I thought was Reverse. So I might be a bit stronger or I could be weaker with the actual Reverse style.

Do you guys use a protractor to measure the angle of the bend? Or do you just kind of eyeball it until you hit @45 degrees and then go to the crushdown?

That video is way different than how I've been bending "reverse", much harder.

I keep my arms straight out in front of me, basically parallel to the ground. The nail is perpendicular to the ground. The bottom arm pushes, the top arm pulls. At the same time, I'm using wrist strength to apply the force from my back and chest into the nail to bend it. It's definitely much less reliant on wrist strength than what Pat is doing in the video above.

Ben,

Yes we use a protractor.

Scott,

I've looked for my bending video on here with no luck, it was quite a few years ago. My bending is similar to Pat's, just my hands are a touch higher. This technique 'Terminator style' I learnt from Pat.

David

The style Pat is using in the video is very very much the same as my style. I like to keep my hands at waist level.

That's how I did the first nails when I started bending. Started using reverse style, then learned myself the DO style half a year later

I appreciate all the form help and tips along with the link to the video of Pat bending! I polished up my crappy style (and it's still crappy I think) and did some Reverse Style bending out in the garage today.

So...my best bend with my old style of Reverse bending was a very ragged Yellow Nail bend.

Today I warmed up with a timber tie. Melted it.

Then cut 1/4"X7" CRS and got that pretty quickly to about 90 degrees RS.

Then cut a piece of 1/4"X6" CRS and that was hard but I got it to at least 60 degrees in less than 30 seconds. New PR. :cool

I rested a bit and skipped directly past the Easy and Hard 60D Nails that I have to the 1/4"X6" Grade 5. Got a 45 degree kink in it in the 30 second time limit RS! BIG new PR for me.

Walked in the house and wrapped up another 1/4"X6" Grade 5 to video. Figured taping it might push me over the edge enough to get it done. I was right.

Got it to 65 degrees in 28 seconds! :rock

Thanks a lot for all the help. I will reread all the posts here and see what else I can learn and improve a bit more. Tried the 1/4"X6" Grade 8 and didn't even budge that bad boy. :rolleyes

I would like to send my RS video to someone to post so that everyone could critique my form though. I am trying to get some feedback so I can make sure that I'm doing it in acceptable style. If it's wrong then I want to find out about it at the beginning, not when I'm 6 months into it. < <

Awesome bending Ben! I am continually in awe of your ability to bend at such a high level nearly every day! I'm pretty sure you do more bending in a week than I can in a month.

- Aaron

That video is way different than how I've been bending "reverse", much harder.

I keep my arms straight out in front of me, basically parallel to the ground. The nail is perpendicular to the ground. The bottom arm pushes, the top arm pulls. At the same time, I'm using wrist strength to apply the force from my back and chest into the nail to bend it. It's definitely much less reliant on wrist strength than what Pat is doing in the video above.

I bend exactly like Pat in that video.

Scott,

That is basically the same technique except you have your arms straight. Looks fine.

David

Looks fine to me too.

Bencrush,

Well done! I'll get this bend on the list.

As you get stronger and used to the style you'll climb the ladder real quick.

David

Bencrush,

Well done! I'll get this bend on the list.

As you get stronger and used to the style you'll climb the ladder real quick.

David

Thanks David! I'm enjoying it already. Just makes me sorry that I was using such bad technique before that it might have prevented me from making some progress. But no time like the present to get stronger, right? :cool

I want to join you freaks on the Grade 8 list. :rock

A big thanks to Scott Styles for hosting this! Please give me feedback on this RS bend guys. I need all the help I can get. Any tips/pointers are helpful. I've got the goal of a 1/4"X6" Grade 8 bend before the end of the year. Might even do some more bending today once I get warmed up a little.

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20061108BenReverse.WMV

Nice video Ben.

Cool soundtrack too! :rock

Style looks pretty good to me.

Ben,

All looked good - well done!

Here's the rules for the angle needed, which of course you were well over - For reverse bending you must attain a 45 degree plus angle of bend for bars/bolts from 6 inches upwards, and 40 degree plus angle of bend for bars/bolts below 6 inches.

Your name is on the list.

David

Nice video Ben.

Cool soundtrack too! :rock

Style looks pretty good to me.

Thanks Franky. Couldn't tell if my style was legit or not even after viewing all the RS bending videos I can find, which isn't many. Now if only I could develop some forearms and the strength to match it like yours... :cool

Ben,

All looked good - well done!

Here's the rules for the angle needed, which of course you were well over - For reverse bending you must attain a 45 degree plus angle of bend for bars/bolts from 6 inches upwards, and 40 degree plus angle of bend for bars/bolts below 6 inches.

Your name is on the list.

David

Thanks David! Good info on the degree of bends I'm going to need. I put it to use right after lunch and did a few warmup bends. Then hit my short term goal of a 5.5" Grade 5 to @55 degrees in 25 seconds. :rock Got it on video and boy my left elbow was sore for a few hours. Also have a question regarding switching hands within the 30 seconds. I noticed (don't remember consciously making the choice to do it though) that I switched from my right hand to my left hand after hitting it once. This was within the 30 second time limit but it might disqualify it for the challenge. Just wanted to know if it does. And if it doesn't then I could send the video in for proof. I still can't load anything up because of dialup. But today I've been shopping around for a good DSL deal and may be able to upload anything under the sun by this time next week. :D

Thanks for adding me to the list!

Ben,

Wow, you're coming on fast. No problem about shifting hands, as long as it's all done in 30 secs. I'll send your bend to Franky for insertion onto the list.

Well done!

David

9 Nov 06

Another great workout today.

1. First off tried a 7" x 8mm bar left by Big Steve (he said it was like a red - I think it was a FBBC Bastard bar) and bent it to 5 degrees. This was harder than a Red.

2. Secondly I bent the Red I bent to 10 degrees the other day, another 2 degrees up to 12 degrees.

3. Bent a Grade 8 x 5" bolt to 15 degrees.

4. Finished by easily bending two 6" nails taped together to about 60 degrees then finished them off.

Rest of the training followed.

David

Last nigth I warmed up and took a shot at a 5.5 G5. I didn't have anything here to get the degrees of the kink ,but I will pick that up this week and try another one soon. I think I had enough of a kink befor I crushed it down. It looked like it was around 45. I got it on video and will link it from the farmstrength page as soon as we can get it up. You guys can judge for your selves. It is the first one I have done RS.

jay threw a G8 at me today and said go for it........it definitely moved 10 deg kink........

just to show how weak the left is........let's just say I am way off from a 60d

someone please lend me a left wrist and hand!!

Nick,

Will be good to see the video. Well done!

Burner,

10 degrees today, 45 degrees tomorrow!

Try to increase the amount of degrees you bend it. You'll soon have it.

This reverse bending has strengthened my wrist a lot again after it was injured, and also I can do it with my shoulder problem. Which is getting surgery on Dec 12th. So I presume I'll be out of action for a while then.

The feeling in the forearm, wrist and arm is quite similar to armwrestling, and has actually brought me back to the table a little. Maybe after the surgery I can pick the a/w up again.

I use my machine as the main workload trainer (it's the second prototype), and it is excellent. It will be available soon hopefully. You guys will love it.

David