Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

Yesterday's bending workout. Pulling with left hand (I alternate between left and right hand in order to avoid uneven development of tendons etc.; still much stronger when I pull with the right hand).

HRS 1/4'' @ 5 1/2'' - 47° PR, 56° PR, 44°, 37° (this steel is easier than IM's 1/4'' stock)

CRS 1/4'' @ 7'' - 27° PR, 36° PR, 30° (stock harder than IM's 1/4'' but a bit softer than G5's at the same length)

I alternated between the 5 1/2'' HRS and the 7'' CRS

All bends with cloth and in a single motion.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

Got a 6" Grade 5 bolt tonight - PR for me.

On a side note, I got a line on 6" Grade 5 bolts for $.19 cents ea ( .69 cents for G8's) - seems like a fair price to me (considering I paid .75 cents at the hardware store).

Wow,

you're shooting through the roof Morgan. :mosher

Thats tells me my todays workout: B-E-N-D-I-N-G. :D

Didn't get the 60 deg. But I got a wabble out of a G8......my right wrist is swollen.......just going with ice for now and my fingers are tingly.Probably inflamed something around a nerve.

This is brutal!!

I am humbled....

How far did you get the G8?

around 5 deg.

Mikael,

Interesting that you work both pulls, right and left hand. My shoulder couldn't take it.

Burner,

At least you have a 5 degree benchmark, now to improve on that.

David

My best with a G8 is 12 degrees in a single motion with a cloth, about a year ago. At that time I also did G5's to 60-70 degrees in a single motion. Got some from Frank.

25 Sept 06

Failed with;

Grade 8 bolt x 6" to 18 degrees.

Snapped a 7 7/8" (198 mm) x 7mm thick nail, sent from Arne (George Christen nail) in 4 min 15 secs.

David

Bent 2 yellows ea hand then barely kinked a 6" grade 8. On a side note, bending like this really fries the tops of my forearms - anyone else experience this? No other bending style does this to me. Maybe its just the newbie blues, but my arms never seem to fully recover.

Bent 2 yellows ea hand then barely kinked a 6" grade 8. On a side note, bending like this really fries the tops of my forearms - anyone else experience this? No other bending style does this to me. Maybe its just the newbie blues, but my arms never seem to fully recover.

oh yea, this kills!!

None of us is able to bend a G8??

Are we all wussies? :D

Franky,

It was tough, I was pleased with the 18 degrees bend. Unfortunately I have no more G8's left. I will try and get some for a later attempt. I'm pretty sure you will do one soon.

David

Not that you guys think I'm lazy:

Yesterday and today I did some levering:

Back (ulnar flexion) for the left and Front (radial extension) for the right.

Yesterday sth scary happened,

no clue why but I lost a 4kg sledge with my left and it dropped to the left, I tried to catch it (doing a supination) and suddenly was remembered on my arm break (big torque --> Ouch).

But nothing happened even if I caught about horizontally with my right while fully fighting with my left. Not smart.

Today I did the same exercize with my a 5kg sledge and it was easy ...

Now I'm going to hurt some 60Ds.

To be continued ...

Should I do video ? :tongue

Ok, ok

another lesson learned

60D = easy

5.5" 60d = easy

G8 = hard :whacked, only a litlle kink (<10°) and my thumb is peeled and my elbow hurts. :mosher

Well,

here's my bend of the 5.5" 60D:

Video

Hope you like it ... :erm

Franky,

Well done on the G8 kink, it is a tough one all right.

Wonder who'll get the 45 degree bend first? :blink

David

could our inability to kill this bolt a result of poor form. What is the best way to gain leverage on this form?

Good job Franky - I tried a 5.5" 60d yesterday and it whooped me. Thanks for the video, it clears up some form issues we had going in my form thread. The main difference I see is you seem to have more space between the pads and bend more on the ends - I'll give it a shot when my hands heal up - reverse bending is killing my arms :(

Well,

Video

Hey frank, you try a 60d the way heslep does it? out in front.gonna try one today

Well,

Video

Hey frank, you try a 60d the way heslep does it? out in front.gonna try one today

Burner, I've done a couple 60d's and a few Blues Heslep style. It's pretty fun. You should have no trouble with what your doing reverse style.

- Aaron

:kiss guys :)

Sean,

I have the slight feeling that the G8 has a slight slope in the required force to bend it, i.e. the force increases slightly when bending it further.

I gain 'leverage' by fully focussing on two different movements of my hands.

My left isn't only anchoring it is also trying do a dynamic movement towards the floor, both hands actually actively try to bend the nail.

Not sure if that makes sense though. :erm

Well,

Video

No,

I would be exceptionally weak with that style since its a supination movement and so its radialis invoked and therefor a no no for my lefty. In a case of a radialis paresis no one tells you to train the supinator, you only get some wrist extensor and finger extensor exercizes to do.

Thats also the reason I'm not that good in the reverse style when switching hands.

That's what is great about David, all of his acomplishments and titles have not gone to his head. If he honestly feels he is not strong enough to do something he admits it straight away. This is an extremely revealing thread, doesn't it jump out to people that many on the top 10 list can't manage a kink reverse style on a 6" Grade 8 bolt? Guys like Steve Weiner were melting those as well as Reds (when properly rested) reverse style several years ago but got bumped off the list. Why do you think it took almost two years for me to bend my first Red reverse style? You guys are finding out what working and taxing the wrists are all about....and that much more recovery is required. When new benders ask me for advice, I always tell them to not get caught up in a race to find a technique to bend a certain bar to get on a certain list...spend the time developing the strength patiently through reverse style. If you pay your dues you will reap the rewards later.

Burner,

Don't think our technique is to fault just not strong enough.

Yes Franky's forearms have come on - well done!

Pat,

Nice to see you looking in at this little bit of fun. There are many benders who are way stronger than me, and with you on top of the pile. How you guys do what you do is beyond me, and especially beyond my shoulder joints. I suppose we'd expect nothing else from the King of Bending but for you to be good at all styles. Pat is the strongest and most all-round bender there is!

David

That's what is great about David, all of his acomplishments and titles have not gone to his head. If he honestly feels he is not strong enough to do something he admits it straight away. This is an extremely revealing thread, doesn't it jump out to people that many on the top 10 list can't manage a kink reverse style on a 6" Grade 8 bolt? Guys like Steve Weiner were melting those as well as Reds (when properly rested) reverse style several years ago but got bumped off the list. Why do you think it took almost two years for me to bend my first Red reverse style? You guys are finding out what working and taxing the wrists are all about....and that much more recovery is required. When new benders ask me for advice, I always tell them to not get caught up in a race to find a technique to bend a certain bar to get on a certain list...spend the time developing the strength patiently through reverse style. If you pay your dues you will reap the rewards later.

Burner,

Don't think our technique is to fault just not strong enough.

Yes Franky's forearms have come on - well done!

Good post - pretty much what I'm experiencing right now - just need to keep at it.

29 Sept 06

Success with

8" x 6.3mm square bar (from Steve McGranahan) to 85 degrees, then snapped in 2 min 27 secs.

9 7/8" (251 mm) x 7mm thick square nail (sent from Arne - George Christen nail) to 90 degrees, then snapped in 7 min 5 secs.

David