Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

Anyone want to do a small online reverse bending challenge?

I've just tried my first serious bending for a year, and fancy a bit of a play. All I can do is reverse style bending because of my shoulder (still awaiting the surgery), and can't do the crush part.

So what I'm suggesting for anyone interested is a 30 second time period to bend a bar/bolt/nail in a reverse grip only to an angle of 60 degrees or more.

Anyone?

David

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

That is all the bending I am doing. Reverse style to 60 degrees in one motion with simple tea-towel.

I switch between left and right grip. I am stronger pulling with my right hand. I like reverse bending and it does add to vbar.

My best is a 5 1/2'' 8mm HRS (same stock as in the last couple of LGC competitions) so you will probably have to find someone stronger to provide you with a bit of a challenge.

Perhaps Nick as he won this event in the Oz championship.

Mikael,

I'm not very strong at bending at all right now. I'd be pleased with a 5 1/2'' 8mm HRS right now.

David

hey dave,

I'm actually putting some time in on reverse style I would love to join the challenge.

burner

So are we doing it with the LGC rules then, 60 degrees in a single motion with a teatowel? I am not sure how much easier it would be using leather.

We could perhaps have the stocks we are using calibrated by Eric. He did all calibration for the LGC and Oz competition.

As I said I recently started bending again.

Last workout pulling with my left hand I used (after warmup) a 5 3/4'' HRS 1/4'' (uncalibrated but significantly easier than IM's 1/4'' steel) and did 7 bends. - 67, 66, 65, 61, 64, 65, and 66 degrees. I move to harder/shorter steel whenever I succeed with at least 5 out of the 7 bends. So next workout I will try 5 1/2''.

With my right hand doing the pulling I am currently using 1/4'' CRS (1030) which is significantly harder than IM's 1/4'' but easier than the current 8mm HRS used in the LGC competiton. I did 7 bends (after warmup) with a 6 1/4'' piece. - 74, 71, 73, 72, 74, 61, and 77 degrees. I then gave a 7'' 8mm HRS a try just to see if I could still bend this steel. First attempt nothing, next 69 degrees which was a bit of a relief.

Next workout I will try 6'' of the 1/4'' CRS.

The 8mm HRS LGC stock is calibrated @ 295lbs at 7'' and 395lbs at 6'' by Eric.

Mikael,

I suggest for this allowing leather and also allowing a time period of 30 seconds rather than one bend, as it's easier to referee, and 30 secs is ample time if you're going to get it.

Let's keep it simple and have fun.

Maybe we can exchange certain bars/bolts every 3 months, so we can try on each others stock?

So for the time keeping just state what your bending.

So we have;

Me

Mikael

Burner

Captain Crush

Let the fun start!

I'll start today.

David

Is the goal for all the same?

Otherwise:

I'd like to go a for a G8 with leather first then a Red.

Franky,

Goal is just to improve and maybe get a pb along the way.

A G8 and red would be mighty mighty impressive. I don't think too many reds have been bent reverse style.

Anyway welcome aboard.

David

ok fellas.........5 60d's easy and one G5......

G5 has been my best for a while, I love knocking out 60d's

my 60d's are from HD and the g5 from an online distributor

Martin, I see you peeking in, jump in the brawl!

Edited by burner

Sure Martin is in too. :tongue

Same goals as mine. :rock

edit: Kotte that means.

Edited by FrankyBoy

12 Sept 06

Success with;

Bent a 6 1/2" x 8mm HRS bar (calibrated at 212.5k) to 100 degrees.

Failed with;

7 1/4" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 212.5k) to 48 degrees.

Grade 5 bolt x 6" (sent to me by Tommy Heslop) to 32 degrees.

All good fun.

David

The G5's that I have tried have all been very close to the 8mm HRS stock (at 6'') used in the LGC and 2006 Oz championship. Can we also add a link to a video clip (for PR's at least). Always more interesting see people have a go at steel rather than just reading about it.

Burner, is that G5 in a single motion or multiple attempts within 30 sec.?

I will continue to do it in a single motion (takes less than 15 sec.). Does not really matter if we use slightly different rules as setting PR is what it is all about.

Just looked through my workout log and my PR was set on 26 Nov. 2005 when I did two 5 1/2'' 8mm HRS (both to 62 degrees). This is the LGC stock that Eric calibrated.

The best reverse 60 degree kink I have witnessed was by Nick at the Oz championship where he "nailed" a 6 1/4'' piece of 9/32 CRS well beyond 60 degrees. This steel was calibrated by Eric and turned out to be about 8 per cent harder (at the same lengths) than the 8mm HRS.

Yes videos will be nice, well if I can get Elizabeth to sort it for me.

Be nice to see you get beyond your 5 1/2" Pb.

I was pleased with today, especially since it's been so long since any serious bending, and also very little grip work recently.

David

After my gym workout I did some bending:

Warmed up with 3 common 6mm nails

Then

1x6" G5 (easy)

0x5.5" G5 (hands came into trouble at ~45°)

0x6" G8 (to weak)

David,

I am in.

-Sean

David,

I am in.

-Sean

Great!!!! :mosher

Well done Franky.

So Franky in front with a G5 x 6"

Also welcome Sean.

Now have;

Me

Mikael

Burner

Captain Crush

Franky Boy

Martin Kotte

Sean

I just did a 6" Gr5 to about 60deg reverse style. I had heidi tape it, and will post the vid later. I've never tried reverse style before. That is kinda hard.

- Aaron