Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

I bent a 60d reverse the other day after basically never training that style. DU is my best style. I just get the need every once in a while to try out my reverse bending.

Not that it really means anything, with everyone trying for G8's...

Justin

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

That's what is great about David, all of his acomplishments and titles have not gone to his head. If he honestly feels he is not strong enough to do something he admits it straight away. This is an extremely revealing thread, doesn't it jump out to people that many on the top 10 list can't manage a kink reverse style on a 6" Grade 8 bolt? Guys like Steve Weiner were melting those as well as Reds (when properly rested) reverse style several years ago but got bumped off the list. Why do you think it took almost two years for me to bend my first Red reverse style? You guys are finding out what working and taxing the wrists are all about....and that much more recovery is required. When new benders ask me for advice, I always tell them to not get caught up in a race to find a technique to bend a certain bar to get on a certain list...spend the time developing the strength patiently through reverse style. If you pay your dues you will reap the rewards later.

Burner,

Don't think our technique is to fault just not strong enough.

Yes Franky's forearms have come on - well done!

Wow......thanks for checking us out Pat, and yes I am quite humbled by the reverse style. I have quite a long way to go. But I am definitely looking forward to the "rewards".

Edited by burner

That's what is great about David, all of his acomplishments and titles have not gone to his head. If he honestly feels he is not strong enough to do something he admits it straight away. This is an extremely revealing thread, doesn't it jump out to people that many on the top 10 list can't manage a kink reverse style on a 6" Grade 8 bolt? Guys like Steve Weiner were melting those as well as Reds (when properly rested) reverse style several years ago but got bumped off the list. Why do you think it took almost two years for me to bend my first Red reverse style? You guys are finding out what working and taxing the wrists are all about....and that much more recovery is required. When new benders ask me for advice, I always tell them to not get caught up in a race to find a technique to bend a certain bar to get on a certain list...spend the time developing the strength patiently through reverse style. If you pay your dues you will reap the rewards later.

Burner,

Don't think our technique is to fault just not strong enough.

Yes Franky's forearms have come on - well done!

Pat,

I agree with what you said about the ton 50 list. I know that there are sleepers out there that have done much harder bends than I have and are ranked behind me. When I first started out bending I was bending reverse and Double underhanding grade 8s at my peak but then I shifted my efforts to DO and those styles dropped off. I would think it would be tough to see people who have attained a goal specific feat years ago and are now on a new path maintain the old feats that do not carry over. For example MM2 guys who now exclusivley bend may not be able to close the #3 now but no one seems to care. I have always considered the top fifty list as pure motivation not as a ranking for world domination, that would be foolish.

-Sean

2 Oct 06

Good session tonight, including a play with a couple of Red's - tough work!

Bent;

Bent a 5.75" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 260k) to 65 degrees.

Failed with;

Dark 'RED' to 3 degrees.

Shiney 'RED' to 8 degrees.

Snapped a 7 7/8" (198 mm) x 7mm thick nail, sent from Arne (George Christen nail) in 4 min 30 secs.

David

2 Oct 06

Good session tonight, including a play with a couple of Red's - tough work!

Bent;

Bent a 5.75" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 260k) to 65 degrees.

Failed with;

Dark 'RED' to 3 degrees.

Shiney 'RED' to 8 degrees.

Snapped a 7 7/8" (198 mm) x 7mm thick nail, sent from Arne (George Christen nail) in 4 min 30 secs.

David

INSANE!!

Great session David! :bow

Hey guys, I guess I'll join you all in this challenge if it's cool. My goal is to bend a red reverse and DU eventually, so I'm starting to train reverse. Last night was really the first time I've tried reverse, and I bent 3 60d's then a grade 5 and then 3 more 60d's. :rock

Cheers Franky and burner. All training is going well, so lets hope for more.

Wes,

Good to see you on board. What length was the G5? The reverse bend is to 45 degrees+, this is so you know.

Good luck!

David

Thanks David, it was just a plain 1/4'' 6'' grade 5 (interestingly enough, mine are from Tommy Heslep as well :D). I'd say it was approximately 45 degrees, but I didn't use a protractor or anything on it. Basically it was as far as I could go before my hands touched and I couldn't exert any more force.

Edited by Wes

Reverse bending to 45 degrees +

List includes

Franky Boy G5 x 5.5"

David Horne G5 x 5.5"

Burner G5 x 6"

Florian G5 x 6"

acorn G5 x 6"

Wes G5 x 6"

Mikael 8mm HRS x 7"

Captain Crush IM blue

Maidenfan IM blue

Sean 60d nail

Martin Kotte

That is some sickness bending cut Grade 5's and harder reverse. I don't know how you guys bend that shorter stuff :blink I think my sausage fingers would get in the way :laugh

Edited by Wes

Did some reverse bending on Friday while on a holiday (pulling with the right hand).

1/4'' CRS (1030) @ 5 3/4'' - 65°, 67°, 65°, 64°, 62°, 54°, 50°

Got a bit tired at the end and could not get the last two to 60°. Anyway the goal was to get at least 5 out of 7 to 60° which I did. Next is 5 1/2''. After that I will switch to 7'' 8mm HRS which is slightly harder at 6'' than the standard FBBC G5's (395lb vs 375lb as calibrated by Eric) and about 5% harder at the same length as David Horne's original calibrated 8mm HRS stock.

I don't want to get injured again so I am progressing very slowly. I think I have to drop pulling with my left hand as it prevents an old thumb injury in my left hand from healing.

All bends with a twin piece of cloth and in a single motion.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Interestingly, none of us are currently close to Nick McKinless' best bend at the Oz championship in February where he bent a 6 1/4'' of 9/32'' CRS to about 80° in a single motion with rather minimal training. This stock is much closer to G8's than to the standard FBBC G5's. Very strong wrists on that man.

I might add that the 1/4'' stock is only a fraction easier than FBBC's standard G5's at the same length.

Did some reverse bending on Friday while on a holiday (pulling with the right hand).

1/4'' CRS (1030) @ 5 3/4'' - 65°, 67°, 65°, 64°, 62°, 54°, 50°

Got a bit tired at the end and could not get the last two to 60°. Anyway the goal was to get at least 5 out of 7 to 60° which I did. Next is 5 1/2''. After that I will switch to 7'' 8mm HRS which is slightly harder at 6'' than the standard FBBC G5's (395lb vs 375lb as calibrated by Eric) and about 5% harder at the same length as David Horne's original calibrated 8mm HRS stock.

I don't want to get injured again so I am progressing very slowly. I think I have to drop pulling with my left hand as it prevents an old thumb injury in my left hand from healing.

All bends with a twin piece of cloth and in a single motion.

anyone having trouble with recovery..or am I the only one?

I can't even move a 60 d now :(

anyone having trouble with recovery..or am I the only one?

I can't even move a 60 d now :(

me too. Just gotta get stronger I guess. I've been adding the sledge levering and sledge twists to help.

- Aaron

Reverse bending is tough on the hands and wrists. At the moment I do it every 12th day. Never had any success doing it more frequently than once a week.

Mikael,

If it's working don't rush it. Yes Nick has very strong wrists.

Aaron and Burner,

Just keep working at what your body will allow you. I have always done a lot of volume on my wrists, and currently do them 5 times a week and bend twice a week. This has always worked for me.

I've gotta get some G8's for some more attempts. Anyone wanna do some swops?

David

Burner - same here with the recovery - I can bend DU every couple of days, but even after a week of reverse the tops of my forearms ache.

David - G8's are plentiful here in the states and I'd be happy to ship some to you all - dunno how cost effective it'll be w/shipping though.

Morgan,

Cheers mate. Sean is getting some for me, but if I need anymore I'll definitely ask you.

Once again thanks,

David

I could send you some too, David.

Two days ago back to the basics:

Some levering lefty and righty (3,4,5 and 6kg sledges) to the nose while laying on the floor.

That gives a very strict execution but feels a bit harder than with arm stretched out, the side rotations are harder to compensate for some reason.

I could send you some too, David.

Two days ago back to the basics:

Some levering lefty and righty (3,4,5 and 6kg sledges) to the nose while laying on the floor.

That gives a very strict execution but feels a bit harder than with arm stretched out, the side rotations are harder to compensate for some reason.

I like this idea frank..........gonna give it a whirl.

6 Oct 06

Trained with Nick McKinless today, good workout!

Bent;

Bent a 5.5" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 270k) to 45 degrees. This was tough and seemed harder than the G5's.

Also bent and snapped a 7.25" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 212.5k) in 38 mins 38 secs.

David

You are improving steadily David.

Great job.

BTW:

Did Nick try some bends also?