Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

I got one of David's 235k challenge bars the other day. Also did a 235k challenge bar DU. Mot a whole lot of bending since I hurt my back, slipt a disc two weeks ago. Looks like you guys are leaving me in the dust! Great work gentlemen.

-Sean

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

Nice going Sean.

I included that bend on the list.

Well Nick and I are having Thanksgiving and he's keeps telling me about this thread. So I just did a G5 6" reverse got over 45 about 50.I might try some other stuff it felt pretty easy I did it setting down does that make any diference? I held it out front about shoulder level just like when I stand with them.

Ok never mind I tryed a G5 5" got it to about 25 and hit a wall. Then tryed doing it over agian a few times more,then tryed Du got it to about 40, then tryed DO got it to about 65 70 now I'm done my hats off to the guys doing these 5" ers reverse ouch.

Franky,

Cheers, and again many thanks for sending me these bars as they will take me on to bending the red I think.

Sean,

Congrats on the Challenge bar bend. Just keep putting the work in, and the improvement will keep coming.

Stew,

Well done on the bending. But rule 4 (see below) basically means that you have to stand and not sit down. But since it was easy it'll be there next time, and so will a 5.5" Grade 5 bolt if you go for it.

Below is the rules for anyone else.

Rules for Reverse Bending Challenge

by David Horne

After consulting Pat regarding the angles for bending, here are the rules.

1. For reverse bending you must attain a 45 degree plus angle of bend for bars/bolts from 6 inches upwards, and 40 degree plus angle of bend for bars/bolts below 6 inches.

2. The bend must be completed within 30 seconds. The bender may notify the witness that he's ready to start the bend, after which the witness will give the bender a signal to start the bend. The clock will start when the witness gives the signal to start the bend.

3. No part of competitor’s hands or forearms may touch the body. Upper arm down to elbow is allowed contact with chest/stomach.

4. Competitor may not lean against any stationary object. The feet on the ground are the only permissible contact.

5. The object being bent may not dip below waist level at any time during

the bend. Reference to "during the bend" indicates the time when you are applying force to the object, obviously while wrapping, resting or positioning for the bend your

hands sometimes are below the waist.

6. Hand padding can be of any suitable material, cloth, canvas, towel, nylon, leather, etc. but cannot contain any rigid components to add leverage.

These will be inspected by referee for compliance. *Material is to protect the hands of the competitor, not to assist by adding leverage. Nail must be wrapped immediately prior to competitor’s attempt in plain view of referee in charge. Allotted time period begins on referee’s start signal. Nail must be in referee’s plain sight at all times.

7. Gloves are specifically disallowed, as it is easy to conceal rigid material within the glove, create a fulcrum within the glove, and/or bunch up glove material to the point of being leverage assistance to the bend.

8. Wrapping or taping of any part of elbows, wrist, forearm, and hands is disallowed. Wrist and tendon strength is key to successful bending and any external aid that assists in tightening of tendons/joints or increases pressure in arms (such as elastic wraps or stabilizers) should be viewed as cheating. Tape or bandage may be applied to surface of fingers and/or palm only in the event of injury to skin and should be kept to a minimum as per judge’s discretion.

9. Application of adhesives or sticky substances to hands, nail, or hand pads is cause for immediate disqualification. These substances will prevent hand padding from slipping or rotating and will remove a necessary element of the grip from the bending process.

A Lot of the rules above are the same as for normal bending.

Sorry we didn't know it made a difference guess we need to read all the rules huh. I did another 6" G5 a little bit ago standing this time. I think I'm going to wait a couple days before I try the 5.5 after pounding on myself last night and agian this morning hands are a little tired might wait and try one at Chris's gettogether this weekend. Might even try another 5" agian any secrets for something that small reverse other than hold on real tight?The first intial kink didn't seem to bad after that when the knuckles start hitting kinda hit a wall.

No probs Stew, I'll forward this to Franky. What's your full name? Or does Franky know?

The 5" bars/bolts are tough for that reason, and usualy I will have hit a big angle bend on the first bend and maybe finish it with the second bend. If not on the 3rd bend I take my fingers from underneath the bar and push to finish.

I think the Grade 8 x 5" bolt may be a very hard one to get, and maybe I might even get the red before... who knows!

Keep at it,

David

No probs Stew, I'll forward this to Franky. What's your full name? Or does Franky know?

He does. :D

Great job Stew.

went to war on the V bar thanksgivimg night with the "men" in attendance , saw a few nice #'s and definitely felt more solid on the bar.......like there's a lot left...........we'll see.

1 red with IM wraps DO.......like a twig :blink

I had 2 solid fingers on the bar through the kink.

this is new!

Reverse definitely makes wrist strength jump...........fingers are beat down as well

....in training I try to report what works for me but this reverse style will make anyone's lower arms stong!!

Burner

I started reverse bending a little again the last couple of sessions. Gonna ease into this time with 60ds so I don't pull my pec and bicep again. so far so good though.

- Aaron

I'm back! Did 8 hard 60d's reverse (bit harder than a blue) only time between bends was to wrap the head end. Was feeling pretty good, if I'd of had a grade 5 on hand I'm pretty sure I could of gotten a cut one. It's a lot harder to get in decent volume with reverse, the side of my hand hurts like a mother.

I started reverse bending a little again the last couple of sessions. Gonna ease into this time with 60ds so I don't pull my pec and bicep again. so far so good though.

- Aaron

You tore your bicep and pec reverse bending?

Acorn,

Yeah you go slow. I'm lucky that I feel nothing in my shoulder, even though I go under the knife on the 12th Dec.

Wes,

My hand hurt at the beginning, but now nothing. I have a lovely calloused area there now. Go get that grade 5.

Nick,

I only usually do about 2-3 big bends in a session, but then do the volume on my machine.

David

26 Nov 06

Bent the 6.75" x 7.6mm bar from Franky today, to 70 degrees, and then finished it.

The went for 3 x 6" nails taped together, and bent all 3, to 10 degrees. Very pleased with this.

Lots of other training, all with Nick.

Thanks,

David

- Aaron

You tore your bicep and pec reverse bending?

I don't think I tore anything, but sure strained or pulled that stuff. I went after the 6" gr5 my first time doing reverse and even though I got a couple of them it was a bit much without doing some training with that before. Its been over 3 months now and the pec tendon is almost 100%.

-Aaron

26 Nov 06

Bent the 6.75" x 7.6mm bar from Franky today, to 70 degrees, and then finished it.

The went for 3 x 6" nails taped together, and bent all 3, to 10 degrees. Very pleased with this.

Thanks,

David

David, your wrists are really jumping, were those 6" nails 60d level?

Burner,

I've felt many 60d (6" nails), and the range of strengths is quite large. These nails were 1/4" wide, and were middle of the road strength wise nails, certainly not up to those tough 60d's from U.S.A. But the 3 nails together was tougher than a Red.

I can send anyone a triple of these for a swap if they want.

All for now,

David

Great bending in little Stafford. :)

Looks like you're still shooting ... :rock

I expect a Red any day now from you.

Great bending David! :rock

Today I bent a 5" G5 to 20 degrees in the 30 second time limit. Not even close to the required angle, but it's a start! :cool

Great bending David! :rock

Today I bent a 5" G5 to 20 degrees in the 30 second time limit. Not even close to the required angle, but it's a start! :cool

That short stuff is hard! My hands hit befor I get it kinked enough.

It is. On most of my full (45 degree plus) bends, I kink 30 plus degrees on my first hit, then finish it with a 2nd and 3rd hit if needed.

A 1 degree bend with those would be good, keep fighting the good fight Dave.

26 Nov 06

Thanks,

David

David, your wrists are really jumping, were those 6" nails 60d level?