Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

Aaron,

I'll send this info to Franky - well done!

4 Dec 06

Had a go at 6.5" square FBBC bar from Franky just now. I bent it to 30 degrees. Upon checking I noticed that the bar had turned when I started and I had bent it over the flat, which I think adds to the strength of the bar. Next time I'll be careful, and hopefully get it.

Still very pleased with the attempt, and of course the 7" bend today. I will get the video uploaded later for John Beatty's perusal.

David

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

Aaron,

I'll send this info to Franky - well done!

4 Dec 06

Had a go at 6.5" square FBBC bar from Franky just now. I bent it to 30 degrees. Upon checking I noticed that the bar had turned when I started and I had bent it over the flat, which I think adds to the strength of the bar. Next time I'll be careful, and hopefully get it.

Still very pleased with the attempt, and of course the 7" bend today. I will get the video uploaded later for John Beatty's perusal.

David

Congrats David, and thank you! That square bend on the flat is quite impressive.

- Aaron

Hey Dave , I noticed that you brought your hands up to eye level for the kink....I found quite a bit more power that way, I've been going at the bars waist level. I like your way MUCH better

Edited by burner

David, I was wondering if you could enlighten me with your viewpoints on the crushdown of a bend. Would you say that wrist strength is an integral part or is it all just pain tolerance and chest strength. I'm so confused on this. thanks

burner,

At the point I start the crushdown (45 degrees above) I feel nothing in my wrist, only my chest, and not so good my shoulders.

David

David

I agree but obviously the wrists still act as static stabilizers dureing the crush.

Not being funny here but sean makes a good piont my crush is pretty good but i dont do benchpress or shoulder presses and i bet you could give alot of big bench presses a bar kinked to 90degrees and they wouldn,t move it so it might well be the wrist work as well as i said above.

Gazza,

To be honest I'm not doing the big double overhand bends so I think others will have a better opinion of what's working. But I did say to burner via pm that flexibility in the shoulders must be important, so that you can get in the right groove. I just can't get in the right position, arms feel in the way, and also not too flexible in my shoulder either.

David

The crush down has to have a bit more to do with wrist and body mechanics. I say this only because I have always been notoriously weak and still manage some okay bends and I know that my lack of chest has never helped me. Shoulders/Wrist and pain tolerance.

-Sean

Hey Dave , I noticed that you brought your hands up to eye level for the kink....I found quite a bit more power that way, I've been going at the bars waist level. I like your way MUCH better

I also reversebend at waistlevel, but after watchin' Dave's video I might give it a try myself.

That's also how Dennis Rogers reversebends 5"-6" wrenches on his new dvd.

He also did it with both arms straight up :whacked

The verticalstyle is also cool. Never seriously tried it. Bet DU benders would do good at it

7 Dec 06

Another go at 6.5" square FBBC bar, bent it to 15 degrees.

Bent on the bloody flat again even though I was careful.

David

During crush down, front lever strength definately will help.

I think a lot of the strength for the crushdown comes from the muscles in the upper and mid back.

I would have agreed with you 6 months ago but........

During crush down, front lever strength definately will help.

I believe franky hit the nail on the head.......wrist , wrist , wrist!....but it takes a while to develop the wrist if you don't have any :blush and what about the final crush frank?

the positioning that david talks about is also new to me, could someone elaborate?

...this is a huge topic fellas

Edited by burner

I think Im going to hit the reverse style bending again. I got fairly proficient with this style in the past but seeing how its helped David on the table, I think it will be a good addition to my armwrestling training. Should be fun and hopefully I can catch up to you guys soon.

Austin

First go at bending in a long long time. Over a year for sure. Worked up to a ironmind blue. Armwrestling seemed to keep my wrist strength up as this was suprisingly easy for not doing any bending. Ill start slow though and work my way up. SHould be fun!

Austin

Tried reverse kink with David's rules (i.e., multiple hits and 40 degrees for short bends).

The steel was the usual 8mm HRS and the length was 5''.

First bar - 35 degrees

Second bar - 46 degrees

In both cases there was no additional movement after the second hit.

I think this would put me a fraction behind Florian's grade 8 bend as the 8mm HRS I am using is about 5 % harder than FBBC's standard G5's.

I am picking up strength fast which is nice considering my abysmal gripper form with my left hand.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

11 Dec 06

No last minute pr before surgery.

Another go at 6.5" square FBBC bar, and again I bent it over the flat, this time to 13 degrees, and stopped.

Never mind. Finished of with workload on my machine.

David

Looking forward to seeing what you can do when you get close to 100%. It is very motivating for many to see someone at your strength level. Wish you a speedy recovery David!!!!