Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

Hey guys, I'd like to join in on the fun. Today was my second reverse grip workout in a couple of years.

12-12-2006

- 60D

- kinked a grade 8 to 15 degrees

- 5/16 x 7" Steel Works HRS to 46 degrees in one motion

- slightly wobbled a Bastard

I felt a bit off today, having performed my first workout only two days ago. All of my tougher reverse bends end up way off center. I remember this being the case last time I trained this technique. I'll be experimenting with hand positioning, by placing more of my bottom / brace hand on the bar to try and correct this.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

Hey guys, I'd like to join in on the fun. Today was my second reverse grip workout in a couple of years.

12-12-2006

- 60D

I felt a bit off today, having performed my first workout only two days ago. All of my tougher reverse bends end up way off center. I remember this being the case last time I trained this technique. I'll be experimenting with hand positioning, by placing more of my bottom / brace hand on the bar to try and correct this.

:blink all right enough already, you guys are killing me!! :(

12-12-2006

- 60D

Very good start Eric!

Tried a 9/32 CRS (think it is 1020) at 6 1/4'' and got it to 60 degrees after several hits within 30 seconds. Eric rated this steel at 430lbs @ 6'' (easiest FFBC G5 was 375lbs I think and G8's 460lbs), so it would be about 2/3 of the way from a G5 to a G8 (at 6'' that is).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Eric,

Great start!

Unfortunately I will have to start all again by bending a straw :tongue , maybe in 6-8 weeks. We shall see.

David

Mikael, please tell me you didn't do the 9/32" with those ridiculous tea towels of yours. :) That's a very impressive bend! With the tea towels it's INCREDIBLE!

David, with you I think it's a foregone conclusion you'll come back even stronger than before! ;)

I'm bored and got time spare, and can type with one hand. Anyway here was my progress in this challenge from 12th Sept. It'll be like a map for me to travel the journey again when my shoulder is ok.

Reverse Bending Challenge

12 Sept 06 Bent a 6 1/2" x 8mm HRS bar (calibrated at 212.5k) to 100 degrees.

15 Sept 06 Bent a 6" x 8mm HRS bar (calibrated at 225k) to 90 degrees.

15 Sept 06 Bent a Grade 5 bolt x 5.5" to 50 degrees.

18 Sept 06 Bent a 5 1/2" x 8mm HRS bar (calibrated at 237.5k) to 45 degrees.

20 Sept 06 Failed to get full bend with a Grade 5 bolt x 5" to 20 degrees.

22 Sept 06 Bent a 6.5" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 247.5k) to 50 degrees.

22 Sept 06 Bent a 6.25" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 257.5k) to 60 degrees.

25 Sept 06 Failed to get full bend with a Grade 8 bolt x 6" to 18 degrees.

29 Sept 06 Bent a 8" x 6.3mm square bar (from Steve McGranahan) to 85 degrees, then snapped it in 2 min 27 secs.

2 Oct 06 Bent a 5.75" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 260k) to 65 degrees.

2 Oct 06 Failed to get full bend with a Dark 'RED' to 3 degrees.

2 Oct 06 Failed to get full bend with a Shiny 'RED' to 8 degrees.

6 Oct 06 Bent a 5.5" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 270k) to 45 degrees.

15 Oct 06 Failed to get full bend with a Grade 8 bolt x 6" to 37 degrees.

20 Oct 06 Bent a Grade 8 bolt x 6" to 60 degrees.

20 Oct 06 Failed to get full bend with a 7" bar from Franky to 33 degrees.

24 Oct 06 Bent a 5.75" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 280k) to 45 degrees, and finished.

24 Oct 06 Bent a 5.5" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 290k) to 50 degrees, and finished.

27 Oct 06 Bent a 5.25" x 8mm CRS bar (calibrated at 300k) to 45 degrees.

27 Oct 06 Failed to get full bend with a Grade 8 bolt x 5" to 17 degrees.

2 Nov 06 Failed to get full bend with a Grade 8 bolt x 5.5" to 12 degrees.

5 Nov 06 Bent two 6" nails taped together to 70 degrees then finished.

5 Nov 06 Failed to get full bend with a Red to 10 degrees.

5 Nov 06 Bent a Grade 8 x 5.5" bolt to 50 degrees.

9 Nov 06 Failed to get full bend with a 7" x 8mm bar left by Big Steve (he said it was like a red - I think it was a FBBC Bastard bar) and bent it to 5 degrees. This was harder than a Red.

9 Nov 06 Failed to get full bend with the Red I bent to 10 degrees the other day, another 2 degrees up to 12 degrees.

9 Nov 06 Failed to get full bend with a Grade 8 x 5" bolt to 15 degrees.

9 Nov 06 Bent two 6" nails taped together to about 60 degrees then finished them off.

12 Nov 06 Failed to get full bend with the Red I bent to 12 degrees the other day, another 3 degrees up to 15 degrees.

16 Nov 06 Bent two 6" nails taped together to about 60 degrees then finished them off.

19 Nov 06 Failed to get full bend with a Grade 8 x 5" bolt to 15 degrees.

19 Nov 06 Bent two 6" nails taped together to about 60 degrees then finished them off.

23 Nov 06 Bent a 7" x 7.6mm bar from Franky to 47 degrees.

26 Nov 06 Bent a 6.75" x 7.6mm bar from Franky to 70 degrees, and then finished it.

26 Nov 06 Failed to get full bend with 3 x 6" nails taped together, bending all 3, to 10 degrees.

1 Dec 06 Bent the 6.5" x 7.6mm bar from Franky to 50 degrees, and then tried to finish it off, and ended up punching myself in the face!

4 Dec 06 Bent the 7" square FBBC bar to near 90 degrees, and then finished it off.

4 Dec 06 Failed to get full bend with a 6.5" square FBBC bar to 30 degrees. On the flat side.

7 Dec 06 Failed to get full bend with a 6.5" square FBBC bar to 15 degrees. On the flat side.

11 Dec 06 Failed to get full bend with a 6.5" square FBBC bar to 13 degrees. On the flat side.

Nice diary David.

Mikael, please tell me you didn't do the 9/32" with those ridiculous tea towels of yours. :) That's a very impressive bend! With the tea towels it's INCREDIBLE!

David, with you I think it's a foregone conclusion you'll come back even stronger than before! ;)

Well yes I did. I am very fond of those tea towels.

I will try a 6'' piece of the 9/32'' next workout and get a video of it.

Thanks for your kind remarks.

12-17-2006

- 60D

- FBBC 1/4 x 6.5" stainless square to 53 degrees in two movements (slightly off center)

Eric,

Is this 1/4'' square the standard FBBC square that you rated at 485 lbs at 6''?

If so that would put you at the top of the pack in this thread!

Do you find G8's harder to kink?

I found G8's considerably easier to get going than the 1/4'' square, but that could be a result of me having stronger hands than wrists relatively speaking.

Eric,

Is this 1/4'' square the standard FBBC square that you rated at 485 lbs at 6''?

If so that would put you at the top of the pack in this thread!

Do you find G8's harder to kink?

I found G8's considerably easier to get going than the 1/4'' square, but that could be a result of me having stronger hands than wrists relatively speaking.

You piqued my curiosity. I just now calibrated a 7" piece of the 1/4" FBBC stainless square at 360 pounds. This puts it at 95% of the non-stainless variety. But what's interesting is the fact that the stainless feels a little bit tougher on the crush portion of the bend. I also calibrated one of the "triangle" grade 8s I've been playing with. They weigh in at 455 pounds, which is only 5 pounds less than the grade 8 supplied for me by FBBC. Keeping in mind that a grade 8 actually measures about 6 1/8", I figure my FBBC 1/4 x 6.5" stainless square bend is about 10 to 20 pounds shy of a grade 8. But the square, for some reason, just feels more comfortable in my hands, and I think that's why I'm better with the square.

I also tried another grade 8 just now, and managed to get 18 degrees on it in one movement, before it froze up. So I'm definitely not at the top of the pack. :cry

It is a year and a half since I last tried FFBC's G8's. I then got one to 12 degrees in a single motion. I am significantly stronger now so I think I could do some damage to it if I tried one now. We will see. First I want to be able to take a 5 1/2'' or even shorter piece of the 9/32'' CRS to at least 45 degrees.

The pain is getting less, and I can move my arm a little. Pain is still worse at night, so haven't had a good nights sleep since op.

Have done 2 training sessions since, all pinch lifting, TNS grippers and curls with my right arm.

Last night though did some training with the grippers with my left hand. No problem as I kept my arm totally relaxed. Just handed the gripper into my left hand, no set at all, and was really suprised to be able to easily slowly no set close the #2, this was after the T and #1. I was very suprised as I'd barely touched a gripper in a year, but then realised that my left hand had been getting a lot of training as the holding hand in my Reverse Bending. Aaaah!!

I'll see where this goes, but Reverse Bending also looks like an excellent way to train crushing power as well!

Doing my rehab for my shoulders 4 times a day as well, so the journey back has started.

David

Tried the 300k Challenge bar today. Only moved it 11-12 degrees reverse style, then finished it off DO.

I will try the other CB's as soon as my wrists recovers. Those bars are fun!

Mats, yes, that is impressive work with the big Challenge Bar! What's the length on that particular bar?

David, that's great that you are atleast able to still do some serious training.

12-18-2006

- "isometrics" with a tough 70D

- cut 3/4" off a 325 pound 60D and bent it to 44 degrees in two movements :)

Eric,

The 300k bar is 5 1/4" x 8mm CRS bar.

I think you'll be flying on this style soon.

I want to keep strong so that it's not such a struggle to come back, and go beyond.

David

Made an attempt to rank us according to the calibrated strength at 6''. Harder steel always beat softer regardless of length in this comparison. The 460 lbs for the stainless square is an estimate as Eric indicated the rating for a 7'' piece.

#1 David Horne 485 lbs FBBC 1/4 square @ 7''

#2 Florian Kellersmann 460 lbs FBBC G8 @ 6''

#3 Eric Milfeld 460 lbs stainless 1/4 square @ 6 1/2''

#4 Mikael Siversson 430 lbs 9/32 CRS 1020 @ 6 1/4''

#5 Aaron Corcorran 375 lbs FBBC G5 @ 5 1/2''

#5 Nick Rosendaul idem.

#5 Bob Lipinski idem.

#5 Ben Edwards idem.

#5 Sean Sparandero idem.

#5 Frank Henritzi idem.

#11 Stew Rosendaul 375 lbs FBBC G5 @ 6''

#11 Martin Kotte idem.

#11 Wes Peart idem.

Mikael, did I miss something? I thought the 7"x1/4 Sq was rated at 380 and the 6"x1/4sq was 485 and the 5.5G5 is 445 not 375.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Yes you did miss something. ;)

The poundage given refers to a 6'' piece, not the actual poundage for the steel bent. It is meaningless comparing the poundage of a shorter weaker piece of steel with that of a longer piece of a harder steel.

Well - I read this whole thread today and thought - what the heck. Out to the garage I went - started out with a IM Yellow - IM Blue - then a 1/4" x 6" Grade 5 to 50 degrees, then 1/4" x 5 1/2" Grade 5 to 44 degrees, I didn't have any Grade 8s so I wrapped a piece of 1/4" x 7" Square CRS (not from FBBC) - got a 9 degree kink but then it locked up hard and I was done. I'll have to stop and get some grade 8s for next time.

Wrists seemed fine but felt some pull in my elbow and pec. I now have a bruise on the thumb knuckle that I pulled over - I'll get some video one of these days for you all to laugh at.