Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

Great bending Jim!

Seeing all the big Reverse bends has got me training it again. Nothing special but eventually I'll get that Grade 8.

-Timber Tie

-1/4"X7" CRS to 68 degrees in 2 seconds. Comically easy.

-1/4"X7" Square to 1 penny kink. Only hardware stock so I'm in some trouble.

-1/4"X5" CRS to 56 degrees in 3 seconds. Ridiculously easy.

-1/4"X4.75" CRS to 48 degrees in 30 seconds. I think I got it to the required 40 degrees long before the time limit, but I kept hitting it since I couldn't tell. Awkward at that length. This was a length PR on the 1/4" CRS.

-1/4"X5.75" Stainless to 42 degrees in 10 seconds. Another length PR this time on the 1/4" Stainless. Felt as hard as most 1/4"X6" Grade 5s.

-1/4"X6.5" Stainless to 57 degrees in 5 seconds. Getting stronger bit by bit.

I've got some more 1/4"X6" Grade 5s ordered and also a bit more 1/4" Stainless. So I fully plan on getting the 1/4"X6" Grade 8 before my birthday in late May. Hopefully much before that.

Nice workout Big Ben

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

3-15-07

Did some Reverse volume yesterday. The great thing is that my elbows are not killing me, thanks most likely to David Horne telling me quite a while back to start curling (some others might have given me that advice too, sorry if I forgot who), which I have been doing. Well, it's helping. Because it's a bit later and my elbows are a tiny bit tender but not bad at all. And that's after 22 DU bends or attempts, and 23 Reverse bends or attempts.

-1/4"X7" CRS to 62 degrees in 1 second. Definitely getting a bit more powerful on the Reverse. I still lack strength though, because the harder bolts stop me in my tracks and then I have to grind through them if I can.

-1/4"X6" CRS to 68 degrees in 2 seconds.

-Hard 60D Nail to 51 degrees in 2 seconds. Trying to hit these as fast as possible and also focusing on NOT using multiple hits unless I absolutely have to in order to get the required 40 degree kink.

-1/4"X6" Grade 8 to 22 degrees in 7 seconds. Actually a degree of kink PR for me. 20 degrees Reverse is my best so far...but I'm not especially happy about that since I have done that a few times and my volume and focus should be carrying me right through the 6" Grade 8 by this point. Although on second thought, the Grade 8 I bent was the JH brand which I've found to be harder than the Triangle brand by a noticeable amount. So everything might be just fine.

-5/16"X7" CRS to 4 degree kink in 10 seconds. Just couldn't get any more than that. And that sucks.

-1/4"X6" Grade 5-Diamond to 49 degrees in 5 seconds. 2 hits to get it there. This is only the second time that I've Reverse bent the 6" Diamond Grade 5.

-1/4"X7" CRS to 69 degrees in 2 seconds.

-1/4"X7" CRS to 76 degrees in 2 seconds.

-1/4"X7" CRS to 66 degrees in 1 second.

-1/4"X7" CRS to 73 degrees in 2 seconds.

-1/4"X6.25" CRS to 75 degrees in 2 seconds.

-1/4"X6" CRS to 63 degrees in 2 seconds.

-1/4"X5and5/8" CRS to 52 degrees in 2 seconds.

-1/4"X4.5" CRS to 33 degrees in 30 seconds. This is way too short for Reverse. But I wanted to get it.

-1/4"X4.5" CRS to 43 degrees in 28 seconds. Length PR for Reverse on the 1/4" CRS. Very awkward and my form morphed into something that probably would have barely passed as Reverse bending near the end.

-1/4"X6" Grade 5-Diamond to 48 degrees in 6 seconds. This is the first time I've bent 2 of the Diamond Grade 5s in one workout. I've got to be getting stronger. 2 hits to get it there.

-1/4"X6" Stainless to 51 degrees in 3 seconds. Defintely a time PR for the 1/4" Stainless. If it wasn't so expensive I'd probably be doing at least 10 bends with it every workout.

-1/4"X5.5" Grade 5-Diamond to 23 degrees in 13 seconds. Not today. I should have been glad just to be getting the 6" Grade 5s.

-1/4"X7" CRS to 74 degrees in 2 seconds.

-1/4"X5.5" Stainless to 48 degrees in 4 seconds. Length PR on the 1/4" Stainless. Previous best was a 5.75" piece.

-1/4"X5.25" Stainless to 41 degrees in 9 seconds. Another length PR on the 1/4" Stainless. Hard bend.

-1/4"X7" CRS-TAPED TO-3/16"X7" CRS to 56 degrees in 4 seconds. First time to Reverse bend these 2 pieces taped together. This will get me closer to the Bastard.

-1/4"X6.75" CRS-TAPED TO-3/16"X6.75" CRS to 44 degrees in 8 seconds. Length PR with these 2 pieces taped together. Hard bend for me at that point.

Happy with the volume I did, but the thing that stuck in my head was the failure on the 6" Grade 8 and the 5/16"X7" CRS. Have got to get stronger and more powerful to hammer those down. And that's what I'm working on.

Yep Ben once you start injecting and get your BIS upto 22inches your bending will really take off :tongue

More bending less curling will make you a better bender not the other way round :D

I love all this hyperbowl about what helps bending :D Pat hit it on the head long ago bending makes you good at bending.

Yep Ben once you start injecting and get your BIS upto 22inches your bending will really take off :tongue

More bending less curling will make you a better bender not the other way round :D

I love all this hyperbowl about what helps bending :D Pat hit it on the head long ago bending makes you good at bending.

LOL Gazza. :D I know bending makes a better bender. You know I paid my dues with extreme volume. I was just saying that the curling has really helped me to avoid the terrible soreness that I used to feel when I bent Reverse. And it isn't the fact that my body has just gotten used to Reverse bending...because I wasn't doing much of it during my DO heyday.

Pat was certainly right about his comment on bending. But I also think that as we get more advanced, some of us more normal guys have to find every single advantage we can get and run with it.

Ben, I'm glad that the pain is starting to subside. Anything that helps must be a good thing.

Tried a 5.5inch G8 tonight but the measuring tool said 'no'! Just when I thought I had it, it bounced right back at me :(. Measured it on the protractor and it had bent to about 35 degrees, so I was still pleased. It didn't help that the bend was off centre (short end in top hand). Can't wait t receive my bastards now so I can give one a go :).

One thing I have found in all strength endeavors-

The "gifted" tend to do better with less variety. Still though, you have to put in your dues with the practice. Kinda silly to ignore any advice from gazza or Pat.

16 Mar 07

Too much bending going on tonight at the gym, so I had to have a go. So 18 days have gone since the last bar I bent, except for the spanner on Mar 1.

1. Bent a 6.5" x 8mm bar from my friend to 20 degrees. This steel felt a little tougher than a Bastard bar of the same length.

Same as my last pb. So all the work on the machine kept the strength levels the same, or maybe even better. But possibly the speed/explosiveness was less.

Now back on the cert path. Next one will be a 6" Bastard.

David

Thought I would try some really short stuff so I cut an 8mm HRS (calibrated by Eric as significantly harder than a standard FBBC G5 but very slightly easier than those black G5's although I find the 8mm HRS to be a tiny bit harder to kink than the black G5's).

Anyway first I tried a 4''. Not even the slighest bit of a kink. I then tried a 4 1/2'' and got a 10 degree kink. It hurt quite a bit. I recalled some of Gazza's videos and thought to myself that this is really pathetic so I worked up a rage and got a second 4 1/2'' piece to 41 degrees in about 20 seconds. New PR. I will get some standard G5's and see if I can get a 4'' with a bit of practise.

Can't wait t receive my bastards now so I can give one a go :).

Yup, i'm getting mine this week, woohoo!! Also some G8's so let's see if the 'wrist developer only training' will pay off :D

I'm sure that it will Theo.

I should think that a bastard would be a respectable standard at the German comp - especially after performing all of the other grip lifts that we have to train for and complete!!.

I received the Wrist Developer in the mail today. Thanks David! Fast shipping man. I haven't even opened it yet. I wanted to know exactly where I was at on Reverse.

Warmed up and tried the 5" Grade 5s again and failed both times. So I'm going to try to only use the Wrist Developer for my Reverse training. I will probably still do some DU but not a lot I don't think.

Here's the disappointing workout. Thanks to MrZsasz for the Grade 5s by the way! Owe you one for those.

-Timber Tie. Easy of course. 78 degrees in 1 second.

-1/4"X6" CRS to 63 degrees in 1 second. Also very easy.

-Skipped right to the 1/4"X5" Grade 5 which was probably not the best choice. 32 degrees in 30 seconds. A kink PR anyway. No excuses but TOO WEAK!

-Another 1/4"X5" Grade 5 to 28 degrees in 30 seconds. Dang it. Wrapped it a bit differently than the first one and was hoping I had made enough adjustment to give me more room for my hands. Not enough strength was my main problem. And my monstrously swollen left hand sure didn't help. :tongue

Can't wait to find out how this Wrist Developer-only training plays out!

Ben

Quitting DO now a machine user its a bit like the TERMINATOR FILM :tongue skynet versus the humans or maybe

Gazza versus the machines :tongue

Ben,

Glad it arrived quickly.

What I would do, is still do a big bend (just one). After you've warmed up with the machine. Then after the bend do your workload from hardest to lightest. I like it, especially the 50-100 reps at the end, seems to really clear and pump the wrist and forearm. Also train both arms.

But remember that I've only used this machine just over 5 months so we're all learning!

Now have some fun.

David

Gazza,

I'll bring one up to play with when I come up for the training session.

David

David

I will pass on the machine thanks i use my own tried and tested methods besides im not really interested in Reverse bending i only do it the odd time to see how i stack up against others and i like to be different not follow the masses :D

Ive fought long and hard to help prove that DO style is a legitimate style and not a Clowns/folders style and i wont jump ship just because others are and it aint flavour of the month infact once i get my fbbc stock i intend to just do one more Reverse bend and then call it a day on that style as i dont really like to help promote a style thats partly helped people think DO is a clowns style so i will just keep on flying the flag for DO style bending :D

Gazza,

No probs.

Anyway, I'd like you to give Elizabeth some tips on DO, especially the 90 degree bend area.

David

Gazza,

No probs.

Anyway, I'd like you to give Elizabeth some tips on DO, especially the 90 degree bend area.

David

So what your saying is the machine wont help you in DO Style bending and the Reverse does not help DO style also :tongue

I was always haveing Reverse thrust down my throat that it was superior in wrist strength training and more effective in promoting wrist strength etc Elizabeth has strong wrists surely after all those years of training and comps and she has access to the machine but now the reverse bandwagon has hit a snag and it needs Gazza a DO clown/Folder maybe my theories and methods work :whistel

Skynet O the humans 1 :D

So I can't ask for some tips now. Come on Gazza what's the problem with helping?

Anyway she did her best ever DO bend today, and fought through that 90 degree zone. But in that zone if you are hitting it wrong you are hitting it wrong!

When she hits it right in the 90 degree area it melts, but if not it's a maul.

David

So I can't ask for some tips now. Come on Gazza what's the problem with helping?

Anyway she did her best ever DO bend today, and fought through that 90 degree zone. But in that zone if you are hitting it wrong you are hitting it wrong!

When she hits it right in the 90 degree area it melts, but if not it's a maul.

David

David

There are some tips in the article Gator just put up for me on his website and i will soon be writing a few more articles on how i train etc but it will all be FREE to the masses i wont be doing any e-books or dvds etc i will take nothing as there are lots that have given me in the past i have used peoples theories and expanded on those so i dont feel like i should charge for useing what has always been here :D So i will be "HELPING" but it will be helping everyone?

Sounds great Gaz!! Would love to hear about your training.

Btw, what's the add to Gators website?

(by the way, did you get my PM? I uploaded a file to ya about bending horseshoes since you requested it)

Mats

Edited by Mats Erik

23 Mar 07

1. Bent a 5.75" x 8mm bar from my friend to 2 degrees. This steel is a little tougher than a Bastard bar of the same length.

Some reason I thought I'd done a 6" bar, so set about a 5 3/4" bar. Well after the first big hit, and it barely moved I realised something was wrong. Boy was I dizzy on this, but I now have no fear of nasty stuff like this. What I had actually done previously was bend a 6.5" bar to 20 degrees.

David

Awesome even getting that moving David! To think that you'll eventually do a Grand Reverse is sickening to me. :tongue

Ben,

Cheers!

I think once you conquer a piece of steel at a certain length, this gives you the confidence on shorter pieces. Although I believe a 5" piece is probably too short for reverse, and maybe a slightly thicker/stronger piece at 7" is better. But yes 5.5" is doable. I would get some kink in it, not a great kink, but a few degrees. So I would work on this.

David