Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

Dave has never been plagued by it for some reason - it just doesn’t seem to get him in that area. He's taken great pleasure from our suffering in the past though :). Our friend Richard and I have often been seen trying to 'cool' our arms down on the cellar wall, much to Dave's amusement!

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

I have found Some powerball work helps with that pain. Helps me a ton. You might try it.

13 Feb 07

Tried the crazy 5" Grade 8 bolt tonight and have come to the decision that it's too short for the amount of spring it has when reversing it.

1. Bent a Grade 8 x 5" bolt to 10 degrees reverse.

Maybe I'll either try a 4" G5 next as they don't have anywhere near the amount of spring a G8 does. Or go back up to the Bastard bars.

David

Well done Jim.

Concerning the 'cooling':

I got that tip from Greg:

Put a iron shot in the fridge and roll it after the training over the 'hot spots' in your arms.

For me thats normally the elbow area.

Works great.

But attention:

If you're sweaty, that thing freezes onto your arm. :mosher

Eric,

I had exactly the same thing leading up to the 2006 Oz grip championship. It prevented me from challenging Nick in the bending. I basically got it as a result of insufficient warm up and by going all out every workout.

I had to stop bending for several months. When I started again I made sure I bent at least 8-10 warmup bars before attempting anything close to a max. I will normally the following series in reverse bending as warm up:

7'' of 1/4 HRS

6 1/4'' of the same

5 1/2'' of the same

7'' of 1/4 CRS

6 1/4'' of the same

5 1/2'' of the same

7'' of 8mm HRS

6 1/2'' of the same

6'' of the same

5 1/2'' of the same

That's the warmup basically. I have absolutely no pain in the biceps these days.

Thanks guys. That means a lot coming from two people who are very much 'in the know' :).

Eric, I believe that we started bending at about the same time back when David first started supplying the challenge bars - I even remember sticking with you up to about 260 kg! Then I stopped. You kept at it...

During those days I used to kink the bar with the reverse, same as I do now. On the way home from training I'd stop at the petrol (gas) station and pick up my supply of painkillers in order to cope with the inevitable pain which would follow. I was experiencing exactly the same pain that you have described - I would be suffering for days and when the next bending session came around I would just aggravate the same injury. This pretty much stopped me going all out on any other grip work - the grippers were a bitch.

A little while later I started arm wrestling and experienced a similar pain. I stopped arm wrestling as a result - the pain was even worse than the bending. When we eventually went back to the pulling we took it VERY easy and built up the workload over about 6 weeks before hitting hard. I didn't get any pain following that period of conditioning. Even though I haven't arm wrestled for over 18 months I haven't had any issues with that type of pain since. I felt it slightly last week when I did my first grade 5. Today I felt nothing.

I honestly think that you need to take a few steps back, do some volume and hit some really easy steel. David could probably tell you the Latin for where you are lacking the strength - all I can tell you that it is possible to overcome. Keep at it my friend.

Thanks for the helpful words of encouragement, Jim! Oh how I hate taking the slow, steady, responsible route. :tongue But it looks like that's what I need to do if I ever want to get much better at the reverse grip. It is funny, though, how only reverse grip has chosen to punish me for being too aggressive.

14 Feb 07

1. Bent a FBBC 6.5" Bastard bar to 22 degrees. (9 degrees better than last time)

It's strange how my shoulder can cope with this, well I feel some pain, but it copes. Yet I can't even do a press up right now, never mind do any pressing or chest work. The two pains I have now, are not the problems I had prior to the surgery, so this is good news. The pains are the bone which was cut, this is still quite sore, and the deltoid where they cut through it. These the surgeon said will take 6 months to go away completely, which takes me to June. I suppose maybe I'm hindering this progress, or am I? I suppose there is not many case studies of guys who have had subacromial decompression surgery, and then 8 weeks later bending 6.5" bastard bars reverse style. So we will never know.

Anyway, keep having fun guys.

David

Jim,

Yeah I really can, and pile on the workload. I don't get any adverse reactions. But if I was DO or maybe even DU, I doubt I could.

David

Ben,

Thanks for your kind words. Yeah, but most of you are way better benders than I am. I'm a one trick pony for the time being.

David

Thanks, Mikael! I will certainly, after I I let it heal up for a bit, give this a go. My other lifts require very little in the way of warm ups, but apparently reverse grip is a different animal.

Eric,

I had exactly the same thing leading up to the 2006 Oz grip championship. It prevented me from challenging Nick in the bending. I basically got it as a result of insufficient warm up and by going all out every workout.

I had to stop bending for several months. When I started again I made sure I bent at least 8-10 warmup bars before attempting anything close to a max. I will normally the following series in reverse bending as warm up:

7'' of 1/4 HRS

6 1/4'' of the same

5 1/2'' of the same

7'' of 1/4 CRS

6 1/4'' of the same

5 1/2'' of the same

7'' of 8mm HRS

6 1/2'' of the same

6'' of the same

5 1/2'' of the same

That's the warmup basically. I have absolutely no pain in the biceps these days.

Thanks guys. That means a lot coming from two people who are very much 'in the know' :).

Eric, I believe that we started bending at about the same time back when David first started supplying the challenge bars - I even remember sticking with you up to about 260 kg! Then I stopped. You kept at it...

During those days I used to kink the bar with the reverse, same as I do now. On the way home from training I'd stop at the petrol (gas) station and pick up my supply of painkillers in order to cope with the inevitable pain which would follow. I was experiencing exactly the same pain that you have described - I would be suffering for days and when the next bending session came around I would just aggravate the same injury. This pretty much stopped me going all out on any other grip work - the grippers were a bitch.

A little while later I started arm wrestling and experienced a similar pain. I stopped arm wrestling as a result - the pain was even worse than the bending. When we eventually went back to the pulling we took it VERY easy and built up the workload over about 6 weeks before hitting hard. I didn't get any pain following that period of conditioning. Even though I haven't arm wrestled for over 18 months I haven't had any issues with that type of pain since. I felt it slightly last week when I did my first grade 5. Today I felt nothing.

I honestly think that you need to take a few steps back, do some volume and hit some really easy steel. David could probably tell you the Latin for where you are lacking the strength - all I can tell you that it is possible to overcome. Keep at it my friend.

Thanks for the helpful words of encouragement, Jim! Oh how I hate taking the slow, steady, responsible route. :tongue But it looks like that's what I need to do if I ever want to get much better at the reverse grip. It is funny, though, how only reverse grip has chosen to punish me for being too aggressive.

15 Feb 07

Tried a crazy 4" Grade 5 bolt.

1. Bent a Grade 5 x 4" bolt to 36 degrees reverse.

Tried to fully finish it DO, but just didn't have the strength/technique for this job.

I videod it, so may stick it on later for some coaching advice!

David

I've been perusing the FBBC calibration results and noticed that the 1/4 square FBBC stock looks like a nice stepping stone between the G8 and the bastard. What do you guys think?

Could a short piece of this stock provide your next goal then Dave? I'm not sure what length though 5.5" perhaps?

14 Feb 07

1. Bent a FBBC 6.5" Bastard bar to 22 degrees. (9 degrees better than last time)

It's strange how my shoulder can cope with this, well I feel some pain, but it copes. Yet I can't even do a press up right now, never mind do any pressing or chest work. The two pains I have now, are not the problems I had prior to the surgery, so this is good news. The pains are the bone which was cut, this is still quite sore, and the deltoid where they cut through it. These the surgeon said will take 6 months to go away completely, which takes me to June. I suppose maybe I'm hindering this progress, or am I? I suppose there is not many case studies of guys who have had subacromial decompression surgery, and then 8 weeks later bending 6.5" bastard bars reverse style. So we will never know.

Anyway, keep having fun guys.

David

I suppose there is not many case studies of guys who have had subacromial decompression surgery, and then 8 weeks later bending 6.5" bastard bars reverse style. So we will never know.

As far as I can tell, there's not enough guys reverse bending 6.5" Bastard stock for a study of any kind, shoulder surgery or not :whistel

Jim,

If you hit square stock right it's nice, hit it over the flat and it's a lot tougher. I'm probably now just going to work on Bastard stock I think.

Chris,

I think in a year or so, there will be a few reversing this kind of stock.

David

16 Feb 07

1. Bent a 6.5" x 8mm bar from my friend to 20 degrees. This steel felt a little tougher than a Bastard bar of the same length.

2. Bent a FBBC 6" Square bar to 14 degrees.

Good training tonight. Nick joined us all.

18 Feb 07

Sooo close!

1. Bent a FBBC 6.5" Bastard bar to 36 degrees. (14 degrees better than last time)

Next time hopefully.

18 Feb 07

Sooo close!

1. Bent a FBBC 6.5" Bastard bar to 36 degrees. (14 degrees better than last time)

Next time hopefully.

Awesome bending David :mosher You'll get it soon.

Next time the Big Bastard is yours!

Cheers guys!

Maybe I can get it next week, in the break at the Supermatch. A bit of pressure should do the trick!

Gazza,

You are right. In reverse bending I have to hit it hard, fast and aggressive. That first hit is all important!

David

So close! Nice work, David.