Online Reverse Bending Challenge?

David Horne

@David: No words. :whacked

Great start Jim. Having seen your leverage capabilities I always wondered how you'd do in the reverse bending.

Pretty good it seems. :D

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

Thanks Franky. Like I say, I'll stick with it for a while. No pain in wrist or arm today which is good news :).

Guys, what would you suggest for 'workload'? Just go though a load of weaker bars or do some work on Dave's wrist developer?

Dave, would two six inch nails (for example, wickes brand) be a step up from the grade 5?

Today i bent a 6" G5 bolt and a 5.5" G5 bolt! Major Pr's!

I'm sending a video in right now to yours.

Today i bent a 6" G5 bolt and a 5.5" G5 bolt! Major Pr's!

Awesome bends, Dutch!

Thanks guys!

Well, i am really suprised about this, because i always did very bad at bending. Looks like the reverse style really suits my body type, big and short arms.

Now i'm hooked, and i'm after a G8 bend!! :rock

Congrats!! What surgery!?! :whacked Doesn't look like you ever had to take anytime off--you blew through that quick. Your physical therapist deserves a pay raise :bow Awesome job. Your crush down didn't look like the shoulder bothered you too much. Congrats again, Aaron

Cheers.

Amazing thing is I can't do any presses, bench work or even press ups right now. But I've started light front raises and lat raises with 2.5k discs. I don't really feel the pain when bending.

David

Good - nice and quick. Noticed that you had to resort to the smellers without the smell of fart in the air tho (our usual training environment!) ;). See you Tuesday.

:yikes

I think I can possibly do a 4" Grade 5, or I can go for a 5" Grade 8. Or I can go back up to the bastard bars, as I didn't finish the 6.5" bar.

So not sure right now.

David

Good - nice and quick. Noticed that you had to resort to the smellers without the smell of fart in the air tho (our usual training environment!) ;). See you Tuesday.

Jim has a tendancy in the gym to lay some good ass smells out there. God only knows what his wife cooks for him to eat. But the other night he dropped this awful smell (like a ripe kebab) when one of the guys was gulping for air in a 50 rep set of squats! :laugh

Jim has a tendancy in the gym to lay some good ass smells out there. God only knows what his wife cooks for him to eat. But the other night he dropped this awful smell (like a ripe kebab) when one of the guys was gulping for air in a 50 rep set of squats! :laugh

that's sick and wrong, lol :yikes I had a kid at school that wanted me to bend a 60 d nail for him and the one I pulled out of the bag was really tough. Needless to say, I layed into it and I blamed the "sound" from the rear bumper on my shoe squeaking on the floor :blush Ahh, good times, good times. Best part of it is the kid bought the shoe squeak excuse :laugh --Aaron

Second reverse session tonight. I was supposed to be going for some volume tonight (with the Horne wrist developer) but I thought to hell with that and went for some more PR's.

Firstly, successfully bent a 5.5" Grade 5 to well over 40 degrees. This felt very easy, and I also finished it off which is a PR for me :).

I am often guilty of trying to run before I can walk and tonight was no exception. I thought I'd try and skip the formalities and go straight for a bastard. The good news is that it moved...but only 19 degrees :blush. I'm still pleased with this so and think that I can get to the required standard with time, and with David's guidance.

I finished off with some feeble work on the Horne wrist developer. My endurance is non-existent!

I'm definitely doing some workload on the wrist developer on Friday...however tempted I might be to hit another big one!

Second reverse session tonight. I was supposed to be going for some volume tonight (with the Horne wrist developer) but I thought to hell with that and went for some more PR's.

Firstly, successfully bent a 5.5" Grade 5 to well over 40 degrees. This felt very easy, and I also finished it off which is a PR for me :).

I am often guilty of trying to run before I can walk and tonight was no exception. I thought I'd try and skip the formalities and go straight for a bastard. The good news is that it moved...but only 19 degrees :blush. I'm still pleased with this so and think that I can get to the required standard with time, and with David's guidance.

I finished off with some feeble work on the Horne wrist developer. My endurance is non-existent!

I'm definitely doing some workload on the wrist developer on Friday...however tempted I might be to hit another big one!

That is some very fine bending, Jim! I can't wait to see what you can accomplish with a few more training sessions under your belt.

I'm kind of experiencing the reverse grip blues. That pain in the bicep area of my anchor arm has set up camp and refuses to leave. This pain plagued me the entire time I was practicing reverse grip in the past. I'll probably start doing some more levering to the nose, but nor do I really care for the feel of these. Oh well, I may just reduce the intensity and learn to live with a relatively mediocre reverse grip. It sure makes me appreciate the relative comfort of double overhand.

Thanks guys. That means a lot coming from two people who are very much 'in the know' :).

Eric, I believe that we started bending at about the same time back when David first started supplying the challenge bars - I even remember sticking with you up to about 260 kg! Then I stopped. You kept at it...

During those days I used to kink the bar with the reverse, same as I do now. On the way home from training I'd stop at the petrol (gas) station and pick up my supply of painkillers in order to cope with the inevitable pain which would follow. I was experiencing exactly the same pain that you have described - I would be suffering for days and when the next bending session came around I would just aggravate the same injury. This pretty much stopped me going all out on any other grip work - the grippers were a bitch.

A little while later I started arm wrestling and experienced a similar pain. I stopped arm wrestling as a result - the pain was even worse than the bending. When we eventually went back to the pulling we took it VERY easy and built up the workload over about 6 weeks before hitting hard. I didn't get any pain following that period of conditioning. Even though I haven't arm wrestled for over 18 months I haven't had any issues with that type of pain since. I felt it slightly last week when I did my first grade 5. Today I felt nothing.

I honestly think that you need to take a few steps back, do some volume and hit some really easy steel. David could probably tell you the Latin for where you are lacking the strength - all I can tell you that it is possible to overcome. Keep at it my friend.

Jim did well tonight, and I think when he starts working along with me on MASSIVE workload :ohmy , he'll either breakdown or grow crazy strong.

David

Thanks guys. That means a lot coming from two people who are very much 'in the know' :).

Eric, I believe that we started bending at about the same time back when David first started supplying the challenge bars - I even remember sticking with you up to about 260 kg! Then I stopped. You kept at it...

During those days I used to kink the bar with the reverse, same as I do now. On the way home from training I'd stop at the petrol (gas) station and pick up my supply of painkillers in order to cope with the inevitable pain which would follow. I was experiencing exactly the same pain that you have described - I would be suffering for days and when the next bending session came around I would just aggravate the same injury. This pretty much stopped me going all out on any other grip work - the grippers were a bitch.

A little while later I started arm wrestling and experienced a similar pain. I stopped arm wrestling as a result - the pain was even worse than the bending. When we eventually went back to the pulling we took it VERY easy and built up the workload over about 6 weeks before hitting hard. I didn't get any pain following that period of conditioning. Even though I haven't arm wrestled for over 18 months I haven't had any issues with that type of pain since. I felt it slightly last week when I did my first grade 5. Today I felt nothing.

I honestly think that you need to take a few steps back, do some volume and hit some really easy steel. David could probably tell you the Latin for where you are lacking the strength - all I can tell you that it is possible to overcome. Keep at it my friend.

Thanks for the helpful words of encouragement, Jim! Oh how I hate taking the slow, steady, responsible route. :tongue But it looks like that's what I need to do if I ever want to get much better at the reverse grip. It is funny, though, how only reverse grip has chosen to punish me for being too aggressive.