• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wes

• unseenbeat

• lifesnotfair

• Timmy

Top Posters In This Topic

My hands are not too awful bad, crush and supporting are decent (no no setting though) but pinch still is too painful. I can bend a little with my thick leather wraps- Timmy, why would I wear gloves? The skin on my hand is pretty calloused, so that doesn't bother me. Only when I do some crazy amount of negs does my palm bother me, and it's really just that spot where the bottom of the handle presses into your palm. Anyway, I did some bending today at school and I did prob 10 60d's and 3 6'' grade 5's. I can melt those grade 5's like butter now, in a bit I'll give that red another shot.

My hands are not too awful bad, crush and supporting are decent (no no setting though) but pinch still is too painful. I can bend a little with my thick leather wraps- Timmy, why would I wear gloves? The skin on my hand is pretty calloused, so that doesn't bother me. Only when I do some crazy amount of negs does my palm bother me, and it's really just that spot where the bottom of the handle presses into your palm. Anyway, I did some bending today at school and I did prob 10 60d's and 3 6'' grade 5's. I can melt those grade 5's like butter now, in a bit I'll give that red another shot.

How do you work in those bending/levering (or w/e you do for helping your bending) in with all that volume for grippers?

I'm still in KTA and my hands hurt just trying to hold onto a sledge

Kta is pretty intense, but when I do a bunch of negs, they're usually followed by lots of rest- From what I understand, KTA is an everyday thing, and that would keep you pretty sore and weak at some other things. I'm still not really training bending, just kind of doing it whenever you know? After the #4 goes down, I'll actually start training bending in a way to make gains and see what I can do- I might go for some thickbar as well. I attempted a 5'' Grade 5 last night and got it to ~45 degrees, but after that my fingers get in the way!

Edited by Wes

Played with the PDA gripinator today, this thing is badass. (it has a 4-1 weight ratio, so I'm multiplying by 4 to get the ~lbs of pressure) It doesn't bother my hands like grippers do. I don't think they can handle negs right now.

No set

160lbs

Switching to ROm limiting arm (Not negs just short range closes, it's like putting a gripper in a choker down to 1/2'')

400 (here I ran out of room for plates, I had to switch to 35's instead of 25's an 10's)

440 moved this about half way

Edited by Wes

I was checking out the grippinator at PDA's site, and it looked neat! But I've been spending a lot on gripping equipment and that thing isn't exactly cheap.

No it's not but there is a site that can help you make one.. looks pretty neat as well..

So Wes how is that #4 coming?

I haven't changed too much. I'm going to go strictly machines for a couple weeks and see what happens.. I also lifted 5 10's EZ today with 2 fingers, this is the first time I've tried, and honestly it wasn't that hard (I had went climbing the day before as well). Weird because I don't train pinch enough to make gains, so it must be carry over from grippers. I also lifted 365 DO on an axle (couple of inches ROM, I didn't feel like working anything but grip right then), but I didn't work up to max weight b/c I had to leave to go to a friend's house, but I'll do it later. If the camera's working, I'll get 2 finger 5 10's on video tom.

I haven't changed too much. I'm going to go strictly machines for a couple weeks and see what happens.. I also lifted 5 10's EZ today with 2 fingers, this is the first time I've tried, and honestly it wasn't that hard (I had went climbing the day before as well). Weird because I don't train pinch enough to make gains, so it must be carry over from grippers. I also lifted 365 DO on an axle (couple of inches ROM, I didn't feel like working anything but grip right then), but I didn't work up to max weight b/c I had to leave to go to a friend's house, but I'll do it later. If the camera's working, I'll get 2 finger 5 10's on video tom.

Hey bro, I dunno if that was 365. I lifted it once, and was close a couple of times. It didn't feel like 365 even when I lifted it with an alternated grip.

I went out and compared the axle with my oly bar and it is lighter, but not by much. It's mabye ~35, so 355

Did some double overhand axle deadlifts (first time I've tried these), and found the form best suited for me is a sumo conventional hybrid, feet just wider than shoulder width, and set some PR's

185x5

225x3

275x3

295x3

310x1

315x1

320x1 PR Grip was still strong, but I was hitching and figured I should stop there. This is a deadlift PR for me, which is weird because I can lift more DO on an axle than I've ever lifted on an oly bar (probably a psychological thing). It's axle only from now on. I also racked 225 in the hang clean today in weightlifting, but it wasn't quite right and I had to dump it. I got some crazy ass looks when I one arm snatched 110 in the middle of class on a barbell and some even crazier ones when I was doing snatches with our beautiful york oly bar and bumper sets (I miss these things :D) Vastly superior to the POS oly bar and steel weights I have.

Wait, you racked 225 and dumped it? :whacked

Yeah, I racked it, but leaned too far back and I had to shove it away or fall on my ass-

Edited by Wes

Finally got my secret weapon mounted today and did some negs

Warmup on filed #3 x 5 closes PS

50x5 holds

85x5 holds

95x1 hold

105x1 hold (~1 second) After holding it shut once, I couldn't do anymore with it so I used this weight for negs

105x20 negs I had to use gloves starting at 10 or so- These things hurt BAD!!

I don't really know why it hurts so much, it might be something to do with the leverage of weight instead of a spring.

I did some deadlifts today in weightlifting class, finally got my form worked out! (All DO)

135x5

225x5

275x3

325x2 PR!

345x1 PR!

355x0

What was scary was the 6'9 beanpole basketball player next to me (who just had knee surgery) walks up and stifflegs it conventional with a rounded back for 5. He said he used to work at a marina and move the outboard motors around! :blink

Edited by Wes

I don't really know why it hurts so much, it might be something to do with the leverage of weight instead of a spring.

I did some deadlifts today in weightlifting class, finally got my form worked out! (All DO)

135x5

225x5

275x3

325x2 PR!

345x1 PR!

355x0

What was scary was the 6'9 beanpole basketball player next to me (who just had knee surgery) walks up and stifflegs it conventional with a rounded back for 5. He said he used to work at a marina and move the outboard motors around! :blink

Great PRs, Wes!

Sounds like that hoopster will sideline himself again soon enough :rolleyes If you broke form and risked everything, I bet you'd get that 355.

135x5

225x5

275x3

325x2 PR!

345x1 PR!

355x0

If you are talking about Josh Conrad, you better not call him a beanpole man, he's more boxed out than you. :tongue Talk about a strong mother. He shoulder presses good numbers I remember.

Words to remember when you train:

SHUT UP AND GET BOXED!!!

Edited by unseenbeat

Did that basketball player do 355 or whatever on a 2" axle double-overhand?

That's quite impressive you did 350 or whatever on 2" axle double-overhand. I haven't even done 300 yet, but I do around 550 on regular alternated deadlift.

I think (despite many arguments to the contrary) that [better grip strength] --> [better pinch/thick bar strength]. I've gotten somewhat better at my puny grip the past few months. Haven't tried a Hub pinch lift in about that time. 2 weeks ago, screwed around, picked up a 35 by hub, very easy. Went to 45, it was surprisingly easy, as it was my previous PR. Added a 2.5, went up. Another 2.5, went up. I got up at least 50 lbs. by fingertip Hub pinch, or maybe even 52.5, can't remember. ("Fingertip" Hub Pinch = fingertips & thumbtip only, no curling the thumb & thumbpad around the Hub.) This has to be because of better grip strength, I think.

Great job, Wes!

He's not that good a presser :confused:

Really? I was always told his military presses and stuff were high proportionate to his bench press.

Thanks Jim, that day those were on a oly bar, but there's no difference between what I do on an axle and what I do on a oly bar LOL cause my back is so weak. You're def right about thickbar helping other things, my pinch and sweep have gotten a lot better with the thick handle dumbell, RT and axle stuff I do.

Tim, he said he doesn't like doing them the other day when we were lifting, I think he does about the same as me.

Edited by Wes

He said he doesn't like doing them the other day when we were lifting, I think he does about the same as me.

I don't know about the second statement, but ya, I do remember he doesn't like doing much pressing.

Did some reps for variety

Filed #3 Reps (paralell set) couple mins rest b/t sets

x3

x5

x7

x7

x6

x7

x8

x3

My hands are shot!