New Log On The Quest For The Number 4!

All right, I'm starting a new log because I'm starting a new training system. Negatives have proven themselves to be effective, so that's what I'm going to use. I'm going to do high volume negatives with the #4, heavy holds and negatives on the Titan's Telegraph Key and some heavy wrist rolling when my wrist roller get's back in working order. Here is my last training session, and my next one will probably be a couple days from now.

7-4-06

I'm tryin' to bring my left hand up to speed, on a good day, I can hold a 3 shut lefty, but closing it's a different story. After watching Kinney's vid, I decided to go with his advice and do a crapload of negatives. I taped the finger side handle of my #3 with electrical tape, which makes it a so the knurling won't chew the skin off your hand.

#3 Negatives Lefty x36. I'm shooting for 60, which is the least amount Joe did in a workout. He said he often did 100-110. Wow.

Link to old log for future reference.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry246273

Edited by Wes

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wes

• unseenbeat

• lifesnotfair

• Timmy

Top Posters In This Topic

Look interesting. I've been thinking to something similiar later this year.

I taped the finger side handle of my #3 with electrical tape, which makes it a so the knurling won't chew the skin off your hand.

Man up and take the tape off. Eventually you'll love it when your skin feels like its on fire when you squeeze the gripper..... :)

Wes, are you going to focus on negatives solely, and cheat closes for all your workouts or is this just one of the days of the week?

Good luck. There hasn't been one person I know of that was able to use Kinney's routine and the volume he had with negatives. Remember, he used to do his negatives "till the gripper won".

Thanks everybody. Chris- I'm am going to go all the way, all of my workouts will be negatives only, with occasional tests to gauge my progress. Hopefully, Chris (climber511) will complete my secret weapon, and that will be a part of my training as well.

Edited by Wes

Good luck to ya Wes! I'm looking foward to seeing you progress to the #4 man.

Good luck!

Wes, Hand health will be of the utmost importance !!

Negs can really cause some injury in high volume..it is what stopped me last time out.

Good Luck!!

Since we're on the subject... didn't Kinney himself got his hand injured? Was it because of the negatives?

No set my #3 earlier in the day, just screwing around, here's the vid

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/115151509..._387_155203.wmv

LATER

Did a crapload of negatives in alternating style, one lefty one righty, rest, repeat.

Negatives x 52 total on my elite. These are seriously painful in my palm, right now there are wine colored gripper shaped marks in both my palms :blink . Note, most righty negs were done with 3 fingers because I don't currently have any pinky skin.

Wow. I feel bad when I get blisters from rock climbing. :tongue

Edited by unseenbeat

Wes you are a big insipation to me man and I mean that. Your #3 close at age 16 video is what got me into grip training in the first place. I'm really looking forward to reading this log.

Best of luck on that #4.

So, losing the pinky finger skin is normal? *sigh* ... I need some of that tape they use! =P

Nah, its been lost for a few days from attempts on my elite when there was no tape. :D

So, you usually use the tape?

I've been wondering lately... Does the finger-side handle slip? Or is it just the side on the palm? Because if so, one could sand one handle on every gripper... or just tape it. But I don't know if that side can slip too.

No, this is the first time I've used tape, the tape keeps you from chewing your fingers up with negs, I'm usually good on regular closes, but when you're doing this kind of volume... I just dust my palm with chalk and that keeps the other handle still during the negative. The finger side tends to slide around a bit in the end of a negative, and that knurling is like sandpaper.

Edited by Wes

Your log's are extremely interesting and i hope you go as far as possible with your grip training.

From reading one of your posts a while back, about closing the number 2 for singles around 100 times a day, i tried this with the number 1 to try and nail the 2 with my left hand. Now i've only done two of these workouts so far over about 1 week, but i don't seem to be improving... noticeably, should i give it longer? should i maybe not use this training method to go for the number 2 as it isn't as hard as the number 3?

Keep up your logs because they are extremely interesting. Any of the new

bits of knowledge you gain from training are real good so keep posting your thoughts!

Your log's are extremely interesting and i hope you go as far as possible with your grip training.

From reading one of your posts a while back, about closing the number 2 for singles around 100 times a day, i tried this with the number 1 to try and nail the 2 with my left hand. Now i've only done two of these workouts so far over about 1 week, but i don't seem to be improving... noticeably, should i give it longer? should i maybe not use this training method to go for the number 2 as it isn't as hard as the number 3?

bits of knowledge you gain from training are real good so keep posting your thoughts!

Basically, we used to just close the grippers throughout the day a la Pavel's GtG. We'd stop before we got tired, rest a little bit, do a few more closes, rest some more, etc. You end up totaling quite a few reps without getting tired. We'd also do attempts on the harder grippers, but that wasn't a big problem, b/c we could close both grippers we had. I could close the #1 the forst time I touched it, and while Wes couldn't, he did close the #2 first time I handed it to him. I just did a lot of negatives and reps on the #1, and eventually was closing it.

What are you talking about? I closed the #1 when I first tried :erm

You have the first letter right. You closed it the fourth time. Joel's right behind me, he confirmed it, as he was sitting at the table when we all tried it.

Basically, we used to just close the grippers throughout the day a la Pavel's GtG. We'd stop before we got tired, rest a little bit, do a few more closes, rest some more, etc. You end up totaling quite a few reps without getting tired. We'd also do attempts on the harder grippers, but that wasn't a big problem, b/c we could close both grippers we had. I could close the #1 the forst time I touched it, and while Wes couldn't, he did close the #2 first time I handed it to him. I just did a lot of negatives and reps on the #1, and eventually was closing it.

ok thanks for the explanation.

any elaboration from the Wesmeister?

Wes, how many days in a week Joe trained his grip?

Edited by Alawadhi

Twice, one day machines and the other grippers, with wrist rolling on a diff. day.