Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

Did some really light gripping yesterday and a lot of stretching to forearms. Seemed to ease the pain somewhat. Recovering from WSH and especially from my attempts at Wrist Developer in the competition seems very very slow. No pain today, but not yet gained back full range for wrist movements, so maybe better still skip this day and return to grip workouts tomorrow. Can't wait! I have some grippers that need to be closed. :D

1. Choked 197 lbs BBSE @ 19 mm

3x1, all missed slightly but all forced in

2. R&P closes Imtug #7

3x1

3. Secret Weapon

3x1x25 kg +chains

4. Gripper power sets

BB Pro 3x1

5. One handed Euro pinch

- hand to hand passes with 36 kg

Notes: All this had to be done in a hurry and nothing felt quite right. Elbows are still bothering me somewhat. But I wanted to get back to training. I have planned a total of 11 exercises that I will rotate around. Low volume, high intensity. 

1. Gripper MMS work

- several attempts with narrow BB Pro's, 201 lbs and 211 lbs grippers

2. Blobette 

5 x 5 x 41 lbs

- had to start with negs but as hands started to warm up for this was getting good full lifts as well

3. Barbell wrist curl

5 x 60 kg

5 x 62,5 kg

5 x 65 kg

4. RT

1 x 10 x 65 kg

5. Wrist developer

- L3 with black spring. This is a HUUUGE PR. Or more like I am just starting to get a hang of this. Anyway, what a shame to figure out some technique for this AFTER WSH. 

1. Vulcan block set

5x1, going up to L18

2. SW

8x1x25 kg

3. Barbell wrist curls

5x65 kg

4x70kg

4. WD

10xL1

10xL2

10xL3

5xL4

- both ways

- orange spring

5. Vulcan & Thumbscrews

3x10xL1

- white spring

Every time I neglected training with the Vulcan the higher levels are really hard to set. I can close it relatively 'easy' in a choker at level 16 and 17, setting it and than closing it however is a different tune....any tips on how you set the Vulcan?

Every time I neglected training with the Vulcan the higher levels are really hard to set. I can close it relatively 'easy' in a choker at level 16 and 17, setting it and than closing it however is a different tune....any tips on how you set the Vulcan?

From the man himself.

Thank you for your tip Nathaniel, I also saw this vid some time ago. Problem I'm having with this method is at higher settings, I just pull it out of my hand.

I think I have to push harder or something, hands facing each other. When I did a lot of Vulcan work, I sometimes got a sore elbow in the gripping hand just because of keeping that tension for the other arm to push the handle in.

Yeah, I was wondering if I should have bothered posting it. I can tell you that Youtube has a bunch of Vulcan videos...(including Paul Knight closing on level 20) that you might pick something up from.

Teemu...I apologize for interjecting into your log. I probably should have addressed this through PM and will do so in the future. Keep up that solid work!

No need to be sorry. All good!

Geralt, I struggle with the set as well. But have seen some improvement with power sets. That means training the set separately with really hard grippers you can just barely get to parallel.

No need to be sorry. All good!

Geralt, I struggle with the set as well. But have seen some improvement with power sets. That means training the set separately with really hard grippers you can just barely get to parallel.

Sounds like a good idea. Let's see if I can incorporate that. Got a LOT of info here on the board. Lately I found my crushing strength went up because of SW work but by concentrating on that, I feel I got a little bit weak on the set.

The thing is, or atleast it is my opinion, that you can't improve all aspects of hand strength simultaneously, or can't improve them equally fast. If you feel that your gripper closes are relatively strong now from parallel to closed, or have the strength to hold closed quite a bit more than you are actually able to close with concentric movement, then switch your focus. Put that end range of a gripper close to maintenance mode. Keep what you have by few overcrush singles done 2 times per week. Maybe switch your focus more towards those power sets and intense wrist training. If you decide to do so let me know how it worked after 2 months or so.

This is just one way to look at it when we consider something like a biggest possible gripper close as a long term goal. If you look my recent training sessions I am switching things around quite a bit. I can't improve my gripper strength from one workout to the next this way, but I see some minor improvements here and there with all aspects. I will train this way for some time now, switching things around but I will constantly keep atleast one gripper specific exercise in my rotation. Base strength level with grippers is on the rise for me as I can TNS #3's easily on demand, even today despite my forearms are really sore from yesterday. When I'm recovered I can now TNS my 169 lbs Elite and my easy #3.5. Not yet where I was few years ago but everything is slowly but steadily coming together with this nonspecific approach.

• Like 3

Thanks Jason, but I haven't reached holy crap-level yet. :)

As for sharing information, I think all the discussion about these things helps myself as well to process these things to better ideas for training.

• Like 1

Great info Teemu and holy crap!!

I have to agree that TNS-ing a 169lbs Elite and IM#3.5 is pretty much at holy crap level.

For most people close is the hardest and therefore should be a priority when on a specific gripper training program. So you have to evaluate it yourself. I would say this would not be a problem for you as you have trained bending. It is different in my case.

Really had no business whatsoever to train grip today. Honestly this was supposed to be and it better have been a day of total rest. But It seems I've gone overboard with my obsession. :D Elbows are really sore but still wanted to do a quick MMS gripper session. What a stupid thing to do. Anyway, I closed all the following:

154 lbs #3

167 lbs #3.5

169 lbs BBE

182 lbs BBE

185 lbs #3.5

All those felt easy even though I'm dealing with sore and unrecovered muscles.

Then took two attempts at 187 lbs BBSE. Got it down to 1 mm. Will certainly get this when I'm fully recovered. However, what I want to do is step a bit on the side of overtraining for a few weeks, then rest and go for a nice peak after.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Maybe I will message your fiance on facebook to hide your grippers from you for a few days, so you can recover... as long as the dog doesn't shit on them. :shuriken:

• Like 1

Revised my training plans a bit. First of all, main goal is a clear MMS close of a 202 lbs #4. Goals leading up to that will be knocking down several BB Super Elites of different strengths. I am not setting a precise time frame as it has proven pointless as progress will come with sudden leaps after periods of seemingly not making progress. It certainly is a bit slow on this level of grippers. But it will come as I've previously had the end range strength for 200 lbs + grippers. Lack of wrist strength held me back.

Really felt that it is time to switch thing around. I presently lack speed. My gripper training has been more about grinding it out with really heavy stuff and it shows as a lack of explosiveness. That last little bit of a gripper close requires that. So to fix it, I am going to do quite a lot of lighter stuff with #3's. Taking grippers easier will also allow for heavier and better assistance work for all-around grip I think. Focus of that will be around wrist strength but will include RT and blobette work as well. Will train gripper power sets as well. All in all focus will be on the weaker aspects. Did not progress with gripper choker work lately as it is a very intense and requires almost everything else to be dropped from my training if I want to make weekly progress with it. I know that is the way to go for me if and when I feel my end range needs a boost. I am not worried about gripper end range strength beeing where it is now, as personally I have found out that to be the easiest to train if the focus is there. So, I will try to focus on the other aspects of the puzzle that is the biggest possible gripper close. Might seem weird that I'm doing many other things but not so much grippers as my main goal is the #4 close, but I have taken the intense gripper specialization route before and I know where that leads in my case: very close (to a deep set #4 close) but not quite there.

1. Grippers 20 mm block set

5 x 3 x 154 lbs #3

- using block to get familiar with it, as it is the most contested way to close grippers these days

2. Rolling Thunder

R: 1 x 15 x 67,5 kg

L: 1 x 12 x 67,5 kg

- these were truly maximal sets

3. Blobette lifts for time

5 minutes of nonstop work with 41 lbs any way I can, alternating hands

4. Wrist Developer

- I am training with orange spring at the moment unless I state otherwise

- doing all sets both ways

10 x L1

10 x L2

10 x L3

10 x L4

10 x L5

4 x L6

- L6 seemed to be where I hit the wall this time, but this is improving

- Next time will skip a few levels and try to get 10 with L6, will probably be able to do so without so many sets

Notes:

Grippers were really slow as expected although I felt I could keep repping the #3 for quite a bit more. Elbows did not seem to get so beaten this time, so will continue with pretty high reps on WD. With RT, I can go up 2,5 kg next time. With blobette, best to stick to this weight.