Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

1. Grippers

Explosive MMS work up to 185 lbs #3.5

Braced closes with 201 lbs narrow Pro

- speed seems to be improving a bit

2. RT

Worked up to 6 reps with 80 kg right hand and 4 reps with left.

3. Barbell Wrist Curls

2 x 2 x 80 kg PR

Notes: wrist strength at least is improving. Used the good old "getting properly pissed off-technique" to force myself to new PR.

• Like 1

1. Gripper Power Sets

5 x 1 x BB Pro

2. Wrist Developer

Warmed up with orange spring, then changed to black spring and got a single with L4. PR

3. Axle Rows, DU Grip

10, 9, 6 x 85 kg

Notes: Wrist, thickbar, dynamic thumb and wide pinch strength are all improving weekly. Grippers are pretty much staying on same level with right hand. Left hand is improving on grippers as well, getting MMS and slightly wider closes with easy #3.5.

Now it is a matter of staying patient and still trying to stay on this course and bring up overall grip numbers before really going all out against #4. What I want to to do before specializing is to achieve 90 kg wrist curls, 100 kg Rolling Thunder, 55 lbs Blobette. With those numbers I will have surpassed all personal bests of the past.

Stay the course.

Will do. It is just hard to resist the temptation to see, if the base strength would be good enough for these aspects of a huge gripper close:

- the effortless, strong set

- ability to keep my wrist optimally extended under pressure of setting a #4

- the so called transition phase, where you have to try and wrap all fingers around the handle properly

But will keep on working on everything else before specializing and going totally nuts with grippers. :)

Will start training for Curl War as well, this was the first test to see where I am.

http://youtu.be/y_5BQP1FK5A

Wow dude, heavy curl!

Thanks buddy. Will probably get a better one easily, because my biceps have been quite sore from yesterday's axle rows.

1. Blobette eccentrics

8 x 1 x 54 lbs

2. Barbell Wrist Curls

5 x 70 kg

5 x 72,5 kg

5 x 75 kg

Those weights move faster now. Decided to proceed with singles.

1 x 80 kg

1 x 82,5 kg PR

F x 85 kg

Notes: glad to see wrist curls improving again. I may hit my goal of 90 kg wrist curls this year, maybe sooner than I think.

• Like 1

1. Blobette eccentrics

8 x 1 x 54 lbs

2. Barbell Wrist Curls

5 x 70 kg

5 x 72,5 kg

5 x 75 kg

Those weights move faster now. Decided to proceed with singles.

1 x 80 kg

1 x 82,5 kg PR

F x 85 kg

Notes: glad to see wrist curls improving again. I may hit my goal of 90 kg wrist curls this year, maybe sooner than I think.

Nice! Are you still doing your kettlebell wrist curls as well?

Nope. But might at some point, there's a different feel to them.

1. Inch trainer

33,8 kg x 5

38,4 kg x 5

43,1 kg x 5

57 kg x 3

62 kg x F

2. Rolling Thunder Swings

3 x 5 x 57 kg

3. Inch trainer wrist curls

15,5 kg x 10

19,8 kg x 10

25 kg x 5 (right hand), 4 (left hand)

1. Inch trainer

10 attempts @ 62 kg, got air with all attempts both hands but no full lifts

2. Manus grip DO deadlift

1 x 100 kg

1 x 110 kg

1 x 120 kg

1 x 130 kg

1 x 140 kg,

F x 150 kg, was clearly a bit over true max for my grip today, got air about 5 cm before grip gave out

Will start working on this as well, maybe start building it up with 120 kg or something like that.

3. Barbell Wrist Curl

5 x 70 kg felt hard

5 x 72,5 kg

3 x 72,5 kg

Notes: Seemed to be somewhat of an off-day, but still happier when this was done compared to how I felt before. Clearly needed to let some steam out.

It is obvious that I just need to get some volume work done for some time to see new gains on most lifts. Can't expect linear gains.

Impressive Manus DO deadlift!

Is it really? I am asking because I really don't know what would be good numbers for it. Haven't been following what others are lifting with them. But thanks!

I find using the Manus tougher than my axle but I haven't tried a 1RM with them yet.

Can't yet try a max with my axle as I haven't yet recieved more plates that would fit on it. But I would guess maybe I could pull something like 20 kg more with axle.

Yeah. I really want to improve my all thick bar/handle/dumbbell lifts to see how much all of it will carry over to grippers eventually.

I've been working on mainly thick bar and pinch as well. Competition wise it's got the biggest bang for time spent.

Some steel a fellow gripster sent me. :) Will have to start testing what I can do within a few days.

20121011-154742.jpg

• Like 2

Squats and bench before grip work

1. Rolling Thunder

65 kg x 5 both hands

70 kg x 5 both hands

75 kg x 5 both hands

80 kg x 5 both hands (PR with left, it has never felt this easy)

85 kg x 5 Right hand, x 1 left hand (very happy with left hand progress)

90 kg x 1 Right hand, x F with left hand (but got some air and that is a PR)

98 kg x F x 3 right hand (but got air under it 2 times, that is progress)

Just to get the feel for heavy weights on this, did 4 assisted lifts and eccentric hold attempts with 100 kg with both hands.

2. Inch Trainer

Progressed up to 65 kg PR full lift with right hand and also got air under same weight with left hand.

Notes: I am certainly making progress with all thick handled stuff. 90 kg felt quite easy with right hand on RT. Might have made a 1 RM PR weight unless I had not done 5 reps with 85 kg. But it doesn't matter. Base strength level is improving for sure. 100 kg seems more doable after this really good workout.

I believe 98 kg is the swedish record in RT. Since you're finnish I thought that might fire you up to beat it.. ;):)

I believe 98 kg is the swedish record in RT. Since you're finnish I thought that might fire you up to beat it.. ;):)

Yes, it always motivates us to beat those puny swedes. ;):yikes

We beat you in sports. You beat us in sauna bathing. ;)

We beat you in sports. You beat us in sauna bathing. ;)

Hmmm... what sports are you talking about? How about 2011 Ice Hockey World Championship? :D

Didn't realize you are Swedish as well. More reason to trash talk. ;)

Edited by Teemu I

• 2 weeks later...

No updates last week as I had a flu. This video is from today's workout, first after unplanned break. 99,4 kg RT, decent air for a nice PR. Tossed a 0,75 kg small plate on top and could not budge it! :O Tried that a couple of times to conquer a 100 kg milestone.

http://youtu.be/GP3OjJO-XHo

• Like 1