- white spring

L1 x 10

L2 x 10

L3 x 10

L4 x 10

L5 x 10

4. Light sledge rotations

3 sets, 10 reps

Thanks Jason. I really don't have a precise answer to that. I have searched many hardware stores to find suitable bolts or nails to bend, but it has been a disappointment so far. I am not familiar with different types of steel either, so I would not know what kind of longer stock to get for cutting into suitable lengths for bending.

Thanks Jason. I really don't have a precise answer to that. I have searched many hardware stores to find suitable bolts or nails to bend, but it has been a disappointment so far. I am not familiar with different types of steel either, so I would not know what kind of longer stock to get for cutting into suitable lengths for bending.

I got some 6 and 8 millimeter bolts in Finland a (long) while back. I think they were comparable to US grade 5 bolts, that is, the 8 mm bolts were at about Edgin level - insanely tough for me at that time. The selection was't very good in the small place I was to.

If you have interest, a better choice would be buying cold rolled and stainless steel at length. 6,7 and 8 mm for progression. I had some 7 mm stainless that was very good preparation for the IM red nail.

Oh, and congrats for the WD PR! I'm looking forward to starting with it again (coming back from a forearm injury).

I got some 6 and 8 millimeter bolts in Finland a (long) while back. I think they were comparable to US grade 5 bolts, that is, the 8 mm bolts were at about Edgin level - insanely tough for me at that time. The selection was't very good in the small place I was to.

If you have interest, a better choice would be buying cold rolled and stainless steel at length. 6,7 and 8 mm for progression. I had some 7 mm stainless that was very good preparation for the IM red nail.

Oh, and congrats for the WD PR! I'm looking forward to starting with it again (coming back from a forearm injury).

Hmmm..the 8 mm bolts I have found are too short I think. Longest I have seen are 10 cm. I guess I will have to ask around to try and find some round steel.

I am mainly interested in traditional styles of bending, like reverse as I just want to develop stronger wrists.

Thanks man. I have started to like WD more. Seems that I can get used to it. Discomfort and slight pain it creates around elbows will probably not be that much of an issue in the long run if I manage to keep my senses and stick to the higher volume approach. Yesterday's maxing out was not smart, I can feel it. :D

Hmmm..the 8 mm bolts I have found are too short I think. Longest I have seen are 10 cm. I guess I will have to ask around to try and find some round steel.

I am mainly interested in traditional styles of bending, like reverse as I just want to develop stronger wrists.

Thanks man. I have started to like WD more. Seems that I can get used to it. Discomfort and slight pain it creates around elbows will probably not be that much of an issue in the long run if I manage to keep my senses and stick to the higher volume approach. Yesterday's maxing out was not smart, I can feel it. :D

Stronger wrists is always good! I managed to find up to 15 or 16 mm long bolts in a small local bolt shop in Nummela. Rebar (harjateräs) is also good. You can possibly find it at decor warehouses. 8mm at different lengths gives good progression for reverse bending.

Thanks. Rebar is something I can certainly find. :)

Would be quite useful if somebody had made a progression table I could understand. As you know it's different. :)

How available is drill rod there?

I had not even heard about drill rod before reading about Ben Edwards working with it :) I think it's not so common in Europe.

Will have to go to the hardware stores in the near future, maybe when I feel I have built a decent enough base strength with WD. Thanks guys for all your help.

1. Grippers 20 mm block set

3 x 1 x 185 lbs #3.5

3 x 3 x 154 lbs #3

- just barely getting the closes with #3.5, certainly not a good day

2. Rolling Thunder

R: 1 x 15 x 70 kg

L: 1 x 16 x 67,5 kg

- some improvement in comparison to what I did on Wednesday

3. Barbell Wrist Curls

5 x 70 kg

5 x 72,5 kg

- could not recover from the pump caused by RT, but forced myself to battle through the final rep

4. Manus Grip DO Deadlift

Grip was totally gone but wanted to get started with these in my routine as well, did singles and went up to only 1 x 120 kg. With fresh hands will lift more of course. Probably will start to alternate this with RT.

Thanks man but it was the third and weakest of the closes. Still a lot of work ahead to get back to where I was. This is the toughest #3.5 I have ever tried. Even 190 lbs #3.5 I closed few years ago isn't as hard as this. It has a sweep more like Super Elites. I have one MM3 replica that is easier than this.

Edited by Teemu I

Well they gotta make drill bits out of something! Even in Finland.

One would think so, but all the drill bits I've seen are imports from Germany, UK, etc. I'm not aware of any Finnish manufacturers.

Will have to go to the hardware stores in the near future, maybe when I feel I have built a decent enough base strength with WD. Thanks guys for all your help.

You're well above my best WD levels, and I've done a red nail reverse, so no shame doing some steel shopping :)

One would think so, but all the drill bits I've seen are imports from Germany, UK, etc. I'm not aware of any Finnish manufacturers.

You're well above my best WD levels, and I've done a red nail reverse, so no shame doing some steel shopping :)

Really? Are you sure? I am training with orange spring. :O L3 with black is my PR in training.

Really? Are you sure? I am training with orange spring. :O L3 with black is my PR in training.

I've done a rep or two with L1 (black spring). I was surprised how hard it is. But then again, I had a year or so break from bending before getting the WD. So I don't know what I'd done at my reverse bending peak. The other difference in WD vs. nail bending for me is that I usually had double wraps with the nails, whereas I'm using single leather on WD. Anyway, I'll keep you posted as soon as I can get back in the game :)

I've found they can be substantially different. Look at Nick M's vs David H's reverse bending and WD results from last year.

David is way better on the steel and Nick is better with the WD. Similar but slightly different techniques to excel at either.

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 2

Last time I tried I could not kink the Red nail. Maybe another shot at it this week. I would say my reverse technique has improved.

• Like 1

How does your Manus grip DO deadlift compare to your 1RM of a normal bar?

4. Manus Grip DO Deadlift

Grip was totally gone but wanted to get started with these in my routine as well, did singles and went up to only 1 x 120 kg. With fresh hands will lift more of course. Probably will start to alternate this with RT.

Bought 4,5 meters of 8 mm round CRS today. I might cut it to few different lengths tomorrow. If I do, might also replace WD with actual reverse bends in tomorrows workout.

• Like 1

20120912-203020.jpg

1. Grippers

Huge PR: did not touch them.

2. Axle Rows

10 x 70 kg

10 x 80 kg

I need to get more cast iron plates. My bumber plates don’t fit to this axle.

3. Blobette

Started with 41 lbs. Felt easy, kept on adding lead shot and got to 46 lbs. Several good lifts with it. Only 4 lbs to go and I’m back to former best with this.

• Like 3

A bit longer rest than planned, as life got in the way of training on Friday and Sunday. But that's OK! Felt quite well recovered today. Starting Wednesday, I will return to normal training schedule.

1. Grippers

Block set closes up to 10 sec OC on 185 lbs #3.5

Grippers are really not improving in terms of peak strength, but as long as I maintain this level while bringing up everything else it's all good. What I call base strength level on grippers is up though, as no setting easier grippers such as #3's and Elites gets easier every week. It must be that my sweep strength on them is on the rise.

2. Blobette

Just a few singles with 46 lbs to see if it was just a fluke last time. It wasn't.

3. Barbell Wrist Curls

5 x 72,5 kg

5 x 75 kg

1 x 80 kg

Improving for sure! Still a lot of work to do to get to my goal of 90 kg wrist curls. But it will come.

4. Axle Rows DU Grip

10 x 70 kg

10 x 80 kg

5 x 85 kg

Notes:

All these years and now I know what I have missed out. :shutup: Axle work felt as if my grip work only just begun. Holy shit. I am confident this will pay off real nice in the long run. I might end up developing a decent grip after all! :trout I have already bought more used cast iron plates from some guy on the internet. Will have to wait some time before I get them. When I do, Axle DO deadlifts are certainly included.

• Like 2