Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

It's been going well. I think it must be nice mixture of high volume and singles that has worked. Axle and Inch trainer have also been useful.

Interesting. I've been changing things around trying to keep my RT numbers going up, but they're not as high as yours haha.

I forgot to say that one thing that I feel has improved for me through the training on the Inch trainer is my ability to put more pressure on the RT with my fingertips.

Ah that makes sense. I felt the same thing when I started training the hub lift.

Yep, but remember isometric strength is highly joint angle specific. That is why the finger tip strength trained with Inch trainer will have better transfer to RT than hub lifting.

Ah that makes sense. I felt the same thing when I started training the hub lift.

Yep, but remember isometric strength is highly joint angle specific. That is why the finger tip strength trained with Inch trainer will have better transfer to RT than hub lifting.

Well of course. Haha. The closest thing I have to an inch trainer is a 3" dumbbell handle. It's a good tool for gaining open hand strength.

Well of course. Haha. The closest thing I have to an inch trainer is a 3" dumbbell handle. It's a good tool for gaining open hand strength.

It sure must be, especially if you are able to clamp the weights real tight so there's more torque.

Nah, the ends are too small, so what I had to do was drill holes in it about every inch so I can run a bolt through it to keep the weights on. As a result, they tend to be pretty loose... Which I think makes it harder, because you have to balance the thing when you're pressing it.

Not been as lazy as lack of updates make this log appear. Forgot to post Wednesday's grip workout (most of it was high volume dynamic thumb). But trained again today:

1. RT singles

Right hand: Got up to 100 kg good lift, felt very good so went straight up to 109 kg and got air with it for a PR in "getting air"-department.

Left hand: Went up to 94 kg good lift. Don't remember if it is better than my recent lifts but I am not that thrilled about my left hand anyway, so will not bother to check if it is a PR or not. I am training my left equally hard but it always drags a little behind.

2. RT rep work

85 kg x 8 with right hand, x 6 with left hand

80 kg x 6 with right hand, x 5 with left hand

3. Plate wrist curls

Went for singles with 15 kg plate and got a few of them with both hands. Felt really hard but it is a PR.

Notes:

I may have to figure out some changes to my training, progress is getting slower again. But then again it is getting colder and colder in our garage and it makes all lifts that require friction harder. Not going to use that as an excuse not to train, but may soon have to start wearing gloves in training. Might actually be a good thing for strength gains if I set a goal to match my current RT numbers with gloves. As for blobette it will not work, it is too cold and therefore humid and it is slippery to begin with. I will bring that inside the house.

Edited by Teemu I

Coldness does a lot Teemu. I noticed that also this night in my garage. I have a gasheater but I don't want to use it already. But indeed the cold makes the limbs and joints a bit creaky and stiff. Or I'm just girly. that could also be it. :flowers:

I have no problem putting on some more clothes. It is just that conditions for friction lifts are not consistent anymore. I have done squats in about minus 20 degrees celsius in the past. That is not a problem, our country IS cold. :)

Yeah my hands shut down when it's cold. Haha. Grip stuff isn't an option; they gotta be warm to move right. The rest of my body works fine in the cold, it's just a hand thing.

1. RT volume work

R: 11 x 80 kg

L: 8 x 80 kg

2. Plate wrist curls

R: 3 x 1 x 15 kg, 5, 4 x 10 kg

L: 2 x 1 x 15 kg, 5, 3 x 10 kg

3. RT with thin work glove

R: 4 x 70 kg

L: 1 x 70 kg

Notes:

RT with gloves on might be the next thing I start working on as a first exercise on some days. It feels as if more fingertip pressure is required. Overestimated the weight I could do after normal RT and plate wrist curls

1. RT with thin work gloves

R: 6 x 70 kg

L: 4 x 70 kg

- idea behind gloves is to tax the grip more and especially fingertips, plus allow lightening the load for my elbows for a while

2. Inch trainer

6 x 1 x 57 kg both hands

- felt insanely hard after RT

3. Axle rows DU grip with thin work gloves

3 x 8 x 70 kg

Notes:

Somehow feeling weak at the moment with everything. It is not that I haven't recovered well enough. I may have to kick it up a notch, Might train grip tomorrow as well. As something I did on the side of everything I did short distance farmers walk pinching two 15 kg plates with both hands at the same time. That felt surprisingly easy. Might be closer to pinching my real slippery 20 kg plates than I have thought. They are coated with some stupid substance that only gets more slick if you apply chalk.

How many days or weeks ago did you have your last break? I mean something like a whole week off or more.

Or an easy week or change of plan.

No offense, I mean you are hitting PRs and all, it just seems to me that you've been plowing on for weeks.

Edited by honk
  • Like 1

How many days or weeks ago did you have your last break? I mean something like a whole week off or more.

Or an easy week or change of plan.

No offense, I mean you are hitting PRs and all, it just seems to me that you've been plowing on for weeks.

Of course I will not get offended by any feedback I get. Possibility to get feedback is the most important reason to have a public training log. :) You have a very good point, I might have trained hard for too long now. Maybe I will do some hand health work for the next week or maybe more, and stretch thoroughly. Thank you.
  • Like 1

I have no problem putting on some more clothes. It is just that conditions for friction lifts are not consistent anymore. I have done squats in about minus 20 degrees celsius in the past. That is not a problem, our country IS cold. :)

Good luck on things, I'm not a fan of training in cold weather

• 2 weeks later...

Have you gotten any gains from using hose clamps on your grippers?

Im thinking I might try clamps soon.

I did it a long time ago but I cannot remember if I got results from it haha.

I did this program; http://www.atomgripz.co.uk/training.html

I did this program; http://www.atomgripz...k/training.html

Any gains? Yep. It was one of the keys to getting from #3.5's and Elites to deep set closing #4's. This was a few years ago when I focused intensely on grippers and was at my best with them. Choker training will be one of the methods I'll be plugging into my gripper training when I start a new run against the #4, which is pretty soon as my base is starting to get ready.

I did this program; http://www.atomgripz...k/training.html

Any gains? Yep. It was one of the keys to getting from #3.5's and Elites to deep set closing #4's. This was a few years ago when I focused intensely on grippers and was at my best with them. Choker training will be one of the methods I'll be plugging into my gripper training when I start a new run against the #4, which is pretty soon as my base is starting to get ready.

Cool! I feel like I have to try something new and choked grippahs will be it.

How did you training look when you were using the clamps?

I really want to close that #3,5!!!!

THanks man!

Edited by NewGrippster

Well the basic program I used is outlined in my blog, I wrote an article back then called Choker work on grippers. There's a link to my blog in my signature and there you can find the articles I have written as links on the right.

• Like 1

Well the basic program I used is outlined in my blog, I wrote an article back then called Choker work on grippers. There's a link to my blog in my signature and there you can find the articles I have written as links on the right.

Dude! My memory is so bad! I've been to that blog many times in the past and I encuraged you to start it back up again, remember that :)?

The blog only left me with one question, is it okej to leave the gripper clamped down or do I have to remove the clamp after each session?

THanks man! Really apprieciate it

The blog only left me with one question, is it okej to leave the gripper clamped down or do I have to remove the clamp after each session?

THanks man! Really apprieciate it

Your gripper will be fine if you leave the clamp on.

• Like 3

Dude! My memory is so bad! I've been to that blog many times in the past and I encuraged you to start it back up again, remember that :)?

Oh it was you. :D It is so hard to keep track of people's nicknames on the internet. :)
  • Like 1