Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

Thanks, I've come to terms with the fact that I did better in the past, I can't let that thought distrupt my current efforts. Othervise I'll end up as another old man with stories starting with "Back in 2009..." ;)

• Like 2

Today I am going to test what will I manage to lift with a Manus Grip on a dumbbell handle. Should be fun! I expect at least 75 kg, anything over 80 kg I'm ok with for now.

My loadable dumbbell bar turned out to be too short for the combination of plates I have so could not test this properly. Got a bit mad and did a crapload of reps with 65 kg until I could not budge it. Talk about planning your training sessions carefully.

treeniromuja.jpg

Grippers

Right hand: Put a tough #3.5 in a choker, handles 20 mm apart. Got all 5 attempts with a nice, three-count handle-grinding. Decided to take a few extra atttempts, got a close from 25 mm as well and this was still quite easy. Decided to go all the way to 30 mm and got it. So, even if I thought I'd have to do a few workouts with this gripper, it's time to choke a next gripper up. This was a combination of both testing and training. Choker training is one of the best ways to evaluate progress with grippers precisely, that is one reason I like it. Every workout should have a goal or goals and with this method they are easy to set.

Left hand: 6 MMS closes on a #3 I certified on plus 1 MMS close on an easy #3.5. I'm not doing choker training for my left hand, as I need to get my set and close-technique right with it. It's been a struggle all these years to get it right and maintain it that way and seems it's not easy to get it together again.

Pretty happy with the intensity and quality of this gripper session. I have noticed it takes more time for me to recover than it did 6 years ago when I started this training log here. So all focus must be on the intensity and quality of the workouts I do when I feel my hands to be fully recovered.

Pinch:

Wiped the dust of my old blobette. :) Did not train with it for a long time since I got to 50 lbs with it. So it was interesting to see what is doable. Every time you start something new or get back to something old, it's best to test yourself. How else would you know what you should be doing? So here's how I did:

I had left the blobette filled to 41 lbs, Was able to lift this just barely with both hands. Went for 10 singles, last few were negatives. So, this will be the weight I will be working on until it feels quite easy to do.

Wrists:

Wrist developer, 5 singles both ways. I must say (with no offence towards David) that I hate this thing. :D Well, Brookfield said that the exercises that take you out of your element are the best exercises. However, I feel that this is a device you have to be really careful with and pay extra attention to anything that might help with the recovery.

Notes: I'm trying to keep 2 min rest periods with everything at the moment. These type of workouts still take a lot of time to execute, even though I would prefer longer rest periods, especially when I'm training mostly single attempts. I think this will be workout template number 1, number 2 will include some thick bar work and I'll rotate these workouts. I try to get 3 workouts done in a week. Will see if this works or not in a few weeks.

Edited by Teemu I
  • Like 1

Strong work on the gripper closes! You are getting back into it 'quite nicely' :)

Edited by Geralt

Thanks guys. I really am excited, focused and motivated at the moment. To a point that it is hard for me to resist training on consecutive days, against all reason. :) Can't wait for next training session.

Teemu,

I'm out of the loop. What caused you're lay off these past couple years?

I see you addressed the issue in a previous post. Nevermind. :)

Grippers

Right hand: choker work on BBSE, tried different widths from 20 mm to 15 mm, 5 singles and not one close, explosion was not there today.

Left hand: 6 MMS closes on an easy #3.5.

Pinch:

Blobette filled to 41 lbs, 8 singles with both hands. This was quite crappy as well.

Open hand grip:

Manus Grip chin-ups, 9,6,4

Notes:

Just can't PR every time. I also felt a slightly painful twinge in my right wrist, deep in the carpal tunnel. Have to take that seriously and do more stretching.

Teemu,

I'm out of the loop. What caused you're lay off these past couple years?

Well let's just say that life is full of complications and interruptions. I did not have time or energy to focus on grip. Now that I do...watch me. ;) This year is not going to be a big year for me in terms of grip, but next year will be.
  • Like 1

Indeed. Life is interesting. I'll be watching Teemu. Back when I first started gripping in 2008 your videos were a source of great inspiration for me. God's speed and endurance friend!

-Isaiah

• Like 1

Thanks dude. I'm humbled by the thought that I've managed to inspire someone. That is nice. Best of luck with your training, train hard and smart.

I'm glad your back dude. I was a huge fan of your videos. You were one of the guys who inspired me to train grip and cert on the COC #3. Best of luck in your training and I'm looking forward to following the log.

• Like 1

sakki.jpg

Made a bunch of 10 kg sandbag-weights and began sandbag-workouts after long break with shouldering 60 kg for max reps in 20 minutes. Got only 10 and was huffing and puffing like an old man with COPD!

:D Well, towards shouldering 100 kg once again. Lower back feels quite good at the moment.

Edited by Teemu I

Grippers:

Choked BBSE @ 17 mm

Right hand, 3/5 closes

Left hand, 0/5 attempts

Rolling Thunder

1x5x50 kg

1x5x65 kg

1x5x70 kg

1x4 x75 kg (right hand) 1x2x75 kg (left hand)

1x1x80 kg (right hand) 1x0x80 kg (left hand)

1x0x85 kg (right hand)

Felt pretty good during earlier sets all the way to 75 kg. Felt as if I had more control of that weight than in previous RT session. I was also very careful with my technique to make sure my thumbs are working hard enough. 

Sandbag shouldering:

60 kg 10 times in 9 minutes 38 seconds. Way better than last time. 

KB swings:

50 kg, 3 sets, 20, 15,10

As an off-day practice, power sets on a 213 lbs #4. Had good experience with them in the past. Set is what I've struggled with. A lot.

I also seem to struggle with calendar. Yesterday clearly wasn't 19th. :)

• Like 1

Kbell C & P 16 kg

70 reps, switched hands after every 10 reps. 

Manus Grip Chin-ups

12, 7, 5, 3 x BW

- 2 min rest periods between sets

As an off-day practice, power sets on a 213 lbs #4. Had good experience with them in the past. Set is what I've struggled with. A lot.

I also seem to struggle with calendar. Yesterday clearly wasn't 19th. :)

Your dogs probably aren't letting you sleep enough. I know that's what happens to me :D

• Like 1

That is so true! From now on, I'll blame the dogs for anything. ;)

• Like 1

Kbell C & P 16 kg

Manus Grip Chin-ups

12, 7, 5, 3 x BW

I'm only asking because I often do different grips and report them as "chins" or "pull ups". Was it actually chins you were doing? Those are good sets on thick grips. Can you really notice a difference with the lower body weight?

Kbell C & P 16 kg

Manus Grip Chin-ups

12, 7, 5, 3 x BW

I'm only asking because I often do different grips and report them as "chins" or "pull ups". Was it actually chins you were doing? Those are good sets on thick grips. Can you really notice a difference with the lower body weight?

Yes buddy, chins. :) Actually I started supplementing with creatine and in a week, my bodyweight jumped up 5 kg up to 80 kg, Still I've been able to add repetitions to these, as I have done them with extra weights as well. Which is more productive than adding reps I would say, but I'm alternating between doing them with bw only and with added weight. Rep range 3-5 has been productive for me and I'm now able to do a one-armed hang from Manus Grips and Fat Gripz.