Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

SW negs, starting out slowly on this again. Trying to increase both volume and load with very moderate pace. I intend to hit it twice a week, tuesdays and fridays.

5 x 1 x 25 kg

• 2 weeks later...

Grippers MMS:

R: up to attempts with 3,64 BBSE. Cranked it to 1 mm two times..

L: going up to attempts with 3,32 BBE with similar results..

Secret Weapon:

5 x 1 x 25 kg, really focused in not getting the thumbs involved.

Power sets with 213 lbs #4:lla, 3 singles.

Oh yeah and closed my 201 lbs Narrow BB Pro earlier this day but I used my left hand to hold the spring. Did not set the gripper at all though. This tells me my grip is improving.

Total body strength training is going quite well at the moment as well. Should start to see some of that strength transfer to grip as well in near future.

Edited by Teemu I

Squats up to safe 140 kg singles.

Lower back and ab work.

Another set of all out attempts with digital grip strength testing device. :D Squats really fired up the grip: 111 kg with left hand and 114,4 kg with right hand. :)

Looks like a good come back, well done!

Thanks, still a lot of work to do but I'm slowly getting it back. :)

I just looked back in this log of mine and noticed that I WILL need to do more of EVERYTHING grip related to make faster progress. Allthough I feel I get more out of less work these days, as the quality (or intensity, whatever you'd like to call it) of my efforts is consistently higher than it used to be. But despite of doing SW negatives yesterday, I will throw in some gripper and blobette work today, after squats. Squats should fire up my grip for some decent training.

Edited by Teemu I

1. Choker work

BBSE (197 lbs) set at 16 mm, 5 x 1 and not a single close.

2. Blobette singles

6 x 1 x 41 lbs. I have much work to do to get back to 50 lbs.

Edited by Teemu I

1. Choker work

2. Blobette singles

Did you squat beforhand?

1. Choker work

2. Blobette singles

Did you squat beforhand?

Yes, but I took too long of a break in between squats and gripping to see the squats positively effect my gripping.

I like to work them in between sets of squats.  I find I only need a few warm up reps and I can get right to max attempts, usually 1 per hand in between sets.  I work out in my garage so they're right there, but even when I go to a commercial gym I just lay them out on a towel in front of me with some chalk.

1. Choker work

2. Blobette singles

I have a feeling that SW work and blob work...will have u at that super elite in no time:happy

• 3 weeks later...

Maby you should try to improve your squat? try to get up to 200kg and maybe your grip improves too?

Teemu, when I still trained in the gym I used the pauses between the bench sets to do the gripper stuff.

Maybe you can try something similar with you squat workout.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Choker work

2. Blobette singles

Did you squat beforhand?

Yes, but I took too long of a break in between squats and gripping to see the squats positively effect my gripping.

Hope all is well :phone

• 1 year later...

Hey Teemu,

Great stuff here. Did you ever TNS that BBSE like I think I read you were trying to get done this year?

-Jordan

• 1 month later...

Strong RT pull at a low bodyweight Teemu! Didn't realize you were only 75kg these days.

Thanks Ben. I cut down my bw for two reasons. First of all my lower back feels better when I'm lighter. Second reason was that I thought that 82,5 kg would be a weight class limit in WSH-competitions.

Thanks Ben. I cut down my bw for two reasons. First of all my lower back feels better when I'm lighter. Second reason was that I thought that 82,5 kg would be a weight class limit in WSH-competitions.

83kg was contested last year. I think it's there this year as well. There is record tracking for 74kg if you can drop a little more ;)

I've cut a whole bunch recently as well. Currently just at 68kg. My 2HP is the only thing I can point to that was affected for sure. Have you noticed anything?

83kg was contested last year. I think it's there this year as well. There is record tracking for 74kg if you can drop a little more ;)

I've cut a whole bunch recently as well. Currently just at 68kg. My 2HP is the only thing I can point to that was affected for sure. Have you noticed anything?

In my case it's impossible to tell. It's too early to say what I will be able to do at this lighter bodyweight. But I believe I can match all my previous PR's in time without adding much bodyweight. I did not train grip consistently for over 2 years so my strength level is far from what it was. But I'm making quick strength gains, and I'm eager to see if I really do have it in me to close some big grippers. I was fairly close to my goals back in 2009, but stepped aside for a number of reasons I will not publicly explain. But I never gave up my goals and dreams entirely, which is why I'm training grip again. I also feel that I owe it to myself to really push myself to see what I can do. This is a fun hobby and it is fun to start again.

Kb work to warm up

Vulcan, 20 mm block set, sets of 5: L1, L4, L7, L10, L13, L16

Choked BBSE (20 mm) 3 attempts, total crap.

Wrist Developer, 10 singles both ways. (this is really weak event for me, not sure if my technique is bad as well)

Nice and warm weather, so trained outside.

Nice work and cool you're keeping log again Teemu. I'll be following this for sure.

Nice work also on the Vulcan level 16! I know you did heavier in the past. but still.