Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

Very impressive close and a great pic Teemu.

Thanks Goody! How close on the #4 are you by the way (I've been watching your blog)?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I'd hate to speculate...so I won't. :cool

Initially, I was trying to increase my strength in the set and through the sweep, so I was using my #4 for deep set attempts and my #2.5 for TNS work. That combination of work has really helped me overall; but, I still feel I need to increase my set strength with the #4. I'm not totally comfortable with getting a great set on that gripper yet.

The next time I get back up to Jedd's or Eaton’s; I'd like to talk one of them into letting me calibrate my CoC #4. I'd love to know where it falls with what I have. I obviously know it is the hardest gripper I have; but, that #4 feels light-years harder than the 170lb calibrated #3.5 that Eaton let me borrow. I don't have a fine tune on how calibrated grippers feel, so again...I won't speculate. :D

Based on what I've seen you do recently; I'd say you could close my CoC #4, Teemu.

Thanks for reading my blog, buddy. I also enjoy reading your blog - lots of great, well thought out, writings and details. I'm going to add your blog to my blog list; if, of course, you don't mind.

Matti has my 202lb #4 (this gripper has a very nice easy sweep) you are welcome to try it before he sends it back to me! Also welldone on the SE close.

Matti has my 202lb #4 (this gripper has a very nice easy sweep) you are welcome to try it before he sends it back to me! Also welldone on the SE close.
Thanks for the cool offer Sam! I will call Matti about that. :)

Yeah i said Matti could keep my grippers for a while, i'm not in a rush to get them back as i have really bad palm bruising after the british champs. It's ok with me for you to keep this #4 for a few weeks i need to heal up before start training for it again. I'll paypal you the postage it will cost you to send it back to me after you have crushed it!!

Thanks Goody! How close on the #4 are you by the way (I've been watching your blog)?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I'd hate to speculate...so I won't. :cool

Initially, I was trying to increase my strength in the set and through the sweep, so I was using my #4 for deep set attempts and my #2.5 for TNS work. That combination of work has really helped me overall; but, I still feel I need to increase my set strength with the #4. I'm not totally comfortable with getting a great set on that gripper yet.

The next time I get back up to Jedd's or Eaton's; I'd like to talk one of them into letting me calibrate my CoC #4. I'd love to know where it falls with what I have. I obviously know it is the hardest gripper I have; but, that #4 feels light-years harder than the 170lb calibrated #3.5 that Eaton let me borrow. I don't have a fine tune on how calibrated grippers feel, so again...I won't speculate. :D

Based on what I've seen you do recently; I'd say you could close my CoC #4, Teemu.

Thanks for reading my blog, buddy. I also enjoy reading your blog - lots of great, well thought out, writings and details. I'm going to add your blog to my blog list; if, of course, you don't mind.

Thank you for the support man. It's still going to take some time for me before I can close a #4 with a proper parallel set. Goal is to be able to pause it briefly before a close so it's going to take time. I have to work on specific parts of the gripper close ROM for that. A lot will depend on the sweep. I can certainly close 195 lbs or harder gripper, if the sweep is easy. My close range strength or the strength on the last 5 mm is almost where I want it to be.

Yeah i said Matti could keep my grippers for a while, i'm not in a rush to get them back as i have really bad palm bruising after the british champs. It's ok with me for you to keep this #4 for a few weeks i need to heal up before start training for it again. I'll paypal you the postage it will cost you to send it back to me after you have crushed it!!

Great! Don't know if I'll be good for it within a next month, but I appreciate the opportunity!

You're smart and steady in your approach; I have no doubt you'll get there. :rock

The sweep on this #4 isn't too bad. The last 2-3mm of it though are very hard. I think you'll be surprised by how easy it feels for a 202# gripper if you get enough power in your set and attack it you might not notice the bind up at the last 2mm.

The sweep on this #4 isn't too bad. The last 2-3mm of it though are very hard. I think you'll be surprised by how easy it feels for a 202# gripper if you get enough power in your set and attack it you might not notice the bind up at the last 2mm.
Sounds like a very nice gripper, as for me the sweep is still weaker part. What you said makes me even more interested in giving it a try. Will be interesting to compare it to Matti's 201 lbs #4.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't kept my log updated, but as a progress report I will post this video of the deep set work on the 201 lbs #4. I hope to post better videos as I progress to actual parallel set close. The set on the video appears deeper than it actually was, but it was deeper than parallel for sure. I do it on purpose as I try to do what Nathan Holle did, gradually widen the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC_9yZenI0c

I tried Sam's 202 lbs #4 as well. Missed it by 3-4 mm. But it is a nice gripper to set, only binds hard at the end. Will give it a try with a deepest set I can comfortably do. I find it easier to start the close from around 10 mm than deeper. At the moment I'm aiming my set closer to 15 mm than 10 mm, but the video I posted is blurry so it will not show it.

Thanks to Sam for letting me borrow his nice #4. :)

Edited by Teemu I

Teemu you closed a #4 mate great job :rock :rock :bow

Also great attempt on my #4, yeah give it a shot on video with a very deep set before you send it back. I'm not in a rush to get it back so i don't mind if you hang onto it for a while. :cool

Thanks buddy! I just don't call it a proper close, but a sign of progress. :) It is easier to work up from the deep set closes than not to be able to close the gripper at all.

I'll try to get some footage of my struggling against your #4 next week. :fear

Nice one mate i'm looking forward to seeing it. A close is a close to me. When i was working on my #4 last summer i was using a really deep set i just wanted to close it, period, but never managed it. Magnus Samuelsson used a deep set for his cert (not sure what the exact rules were back then for IM certs?)

Edited by CoC#3

Veeeery strong :rock Happy to see your recent progress mate!

Thanks, it sure is good to see some improvement. :)

Teemu you madman! A #4 close is fantastic regardless of the poundage, congratulations mate :rock