Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

I've been trying to close bigger grippers with a paused parallel set this week. Getting closer to goal but still a lot of work left to do. I actually spend way less time on specific grip work now. It seems the gains are coming in again after long struggle as I'm getting stronger with all basic barbell exercises. I've never been much of a bench press guy and never liked it too much, but I got a bench fever now. I'm breaking PR's every week with the main max effort exercises and showing nice progress on the heavy triceps exercises as well. Upper back work is going well too. It's all helping me through the set and the sweep on the grippers. Gripper specific goals for the next couple of weeks are to be able to hold a 213 lbs #4 closed atleast once and manage a proper parallel set close on the 197 lbs BBSE and if all goes well, on the 201 lbs #4 as well.

Edited by Teemu I

I've trained grippers on two consecutive days but still it felt quite good today. Paused parallel set looked better today. Improvements are very little but I don't care as long there's some signs of progress. I did not reach the goals I set for myself for this training week, but next week should be better.

I haven't felt like keeping my log accurately up to date, but as I'm constantly monitoring my technique and progress through videos, I took a video of my attempt to hold a 213 lbs #4 closed. I'm not quite there yet, but the forced holds are showing progress. I held the 207 lbs #4 closed just a bit longer than last time. I figure that just a few of these real hard hold attempts on top of the usual parallel set and/or choker work in a workout is a good addition to the gripper training and as long as you don't work on these hard forced hold attempts too much, you should see it translate to regular closes quite well within weeks. One way would be to increase the time you are able to hold the gripper closed, but I'm now trying to go up on grippers as I have a bunch of different strength #4's I can use. This way I'm also forced to work a little harder during the set, which doesn't hurt.

Before these forced holds, I did 5 paused parallel set attempts on the 201 lbs #4. The close is still too slow, but I have more control over the gripper.

Great stuff Teemu! It's great to see you doing so well with the #4, i remember finding one of your videos on youtube when i just started getting into grip and you had just certified on the #3 i think :) Good to see you finally closing a #4 regardless of poundage :rock

• 2 weeks later...

I had to take a break from everything training related for a while due to low back issues. It was a mess. Now the pain is in the past and I've been able to get back to work, light rehab training and of course gripping. I did a crapload of gripper work on different #4's today and just a little yesterday, I posted a few blog entries and did not bother copying it all here.

Edited by Teemu I

I checked your blog and you are doing some awesome gripper work :rock

Thanks for all your up-dates and videos Teemu, your work with these grippers are awesome and inspiring.....pumps me up to see them :rock , anyways enough mushy talk lol....good luck on the 4's ahead!

Thanks guys! :)

Hmm..seems to me like my strength has turned into weakness and weakness into strength. Today, I was able to hit the set right at parallel and it felt good, the set and the beginning of the close felt strong, but I kept missing by 1 mm with 3 different strength #4's and a Super Elite. I will target that 1 mm heavily next week by forcing the attempts closed very quickly after the movement slows down and I will probably alternate between choker attempts and MMS attempts. I would still say that today's gripper work was OK.

Guest Bullitt
Thanks guys! :)

Hmm..seems to me like my strength has turned into weakness and weakness into strength. Today, I was able to hit the set right at parallel and it felt good, the set and the beginning of the close felt strong, but I kept missing by 1 mm with 3 different strength #4's and a Super Elite. I will target that 1 mm heavily next week by forcing the attempts closed very quickly after the movement slows down and I will probably alternate between choker attempts and MMS attempts. I would still say that today's gripper work was OK.

I don't think those grippers stand a chance. :rock

Poor attempts to hold a #4 closed, switched fairly quick to some choker work. Tried to do explosive work on a hard #3.5 choked to 25 mm.

Long time since I touched my Blobette. I had left it filled up to 50 lbs. To my surprise, I got some very nice lifts about 20 cm off the floor. 4 times in a row. Thought I would not be able to budge it. :)

I've been fairly frustrated because of the back issues and the break I had to take, but todays kbell work done after proper warmups and rehab work felt very good. First time in a few weeks I got a proper sweat going on by some other reason than serious pain. Great, I just love it! 24 kg bell felt very light too and I guess I haven't lost as much strength as I had imagined.

Edited by Teemu I

Teemu have you got any video attempts of you with my #4?
I'm afraid not yet Sam, sorry. I'll get some on video next time I train grippers. Within a few days. Do you need the gripper back now? If so, let me know and I'll send it.

Very weak gripper week behind. Had to let the #4's wait. This trend has to turn around next week. Took out the frustrations on a 182 lbs BBE. Tried to break it every time.

Teemu,

Have you ever tried a grip machine? do you think it's useful and has it carryover to the grippers? finally, if you have tried it, what's your best?

I have tried Pullum's Grip Machine and Gorilla from Ironmind, and the Gorilla it's much better.

Thanks!

Jose.

Teemu,

Have you ever tried a grip machine? do you think it's useful and has it carryover to the grippers? finally, if you have tried it, what's your best?

I have tried Pullum's Grip Machine and Gorilla from Ironmind, and the Gorilla it's much better.

Thanks!

Jose.

Jose, I have only had a one chance to try a grip machine. It was loaded with very light weights then. But I certainly believe that a plate loaded grip machine is useful. I'd get one if I could afford to buy one or could make it myself. It will certainly build great strength throughout the range of motion. It would inevitably carry over to torsion spring grippers. I would alternate between machine and grippers from one workout to the next, to make sure that the strength transfers to gripper closes faster.

1. Grippers:

R: 197 lbs BBSE choked at 19 mm, 4 x 3 sec OC’s

L: 185 lbs CoC#3.5 choked at 19 mm, 4 x 3 sec OC’s

2. Blobette negs

4 x 3 x 50 lbs

3. Fat bar (60 mm) chins

- Barely got 5 reps on the first set, manned up for the second set and got 9 :)

Guest Bullitt

1. Grippers:

R: 197 lbs BBSE choked at 19 mm, 4 x 3 sec OC’s

L: 185 lbs CoC#3.5 choked at 19 mm, 4 x 3 sec OC’s

2. Blobette negs

4 x 3 x 50 lbs

3. Fat bar (60 mm) chins

- Barely got 5 reps on the first set, manned up for the second set and got 9 :)

Strong workout Teemu! Your left hand strength is awesome! And overcrushing an SE, choked or not, is sick! :rock

Thanks Mike! Before todays grip workout, I realized I just haven't given all I got. I have forgotten how important it is to try and BREAK the gripper each and every time. As I did that to Elite this week, I realized I've done too many workouts trying hard but not hard enough. I've been too satisfied at times and it ruins a workout. I feel grip is different in that sense, you can keep going 100 % and you should as well, without the risk of overtraining.

It's time to stop staring the gap between the handles! :D;)

Teemu there's no rush to send my #4 back, keep it - my grippers are 'off' at the moment anyway so it'll be more use to you ;)

Teemu there's no rush to send my #4 back, keep it - my grippers are 'off' at the moment anyway so it'll be more use to you ;)
OK buddy, thank you very much! I'm afraid my grippers are a bit off too, but I'll keep on trying. I need a really good day to get atleast somewhat decent attempt on your #4.

1. Grippers

BFN's on different #4's, 10 x 3

2. RT

Just to test this, did a few lifts with 80 kilos.

3. Blobette negs

4 x 3 x 50 lbs

4. Fat bar (60 mm) chin-ups

2 sets, 9 and 7 x BW

One of those days I did not feel like training at all, but I had to let out some steam. Crappy feel on grippers, no good. Got scared of the FBBC 5X and did not want to try it. :fear

I don't think you have anything to be scared of, buddy! HAHA!