Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

1. Grippers, MMS

Went up to couple of BFN's on a #4.

2. RT, singles

65 kg, x 1, 70 kg x 1, 75 kg x 1, 80 kg x 1, 85 kg x 1, 90 kg x fail.

3. Blobette

Some cheat lifts and negs with 50 lbs.

4. Plate wrist curl

R: 10, 8, 7 x 10 kg

L: 8, 6, 6 x 10 kg

Wrist curls were up, everything else was mediocre.

Got the extra spacers for 2HP setup. I'll try to find out what the optimal width is for me as soon my torn thumb webbings are up for it.

1. Grippers, explosive MMS work

R: Worked up to 3 sets of explosive triples on 182 lbs BB Elite

L: Same pattern, but with an average #3

Finished with both hands to an all-out killer overandbeyondmegaovercrush. This is a new, revolutional training technique I came up with as I got really mad about grippers not going as well as I'd want. It requires thick skull and a bunker to train in.

2. OH Pinch, 52 mm

8 x 1 x 30 kg

6 x 1 x 35 kg

As a finisher, quick switches from hand to hand midair with 40 kilos.

As a training equipment, Euro pinch apparatus clearly isn't one of the best if you'd like to do more volume barehanded. I will look for another way to train pinch more and using gloves is one option.

Edited by Teemu I

1. RT

1 x 5 x 50 kg

1 x 5 x 60 kg

1 x 5 x 70 kg

1 x 5 x 75 kg

80 kg x a few, poorly controlled lifts

2. Blobette

- time to start lifting it again

15 x 1 x 41 lbs

Explosive gripper closes here and there.

Was a bit fatiqued from yesterday's grippers and fingertip hangs.

Grippers, MMS

5 x 1, with BBSE and different #4's

3 x 1 filed #3

Gripper attempts are showing more promise than for a long time. Missed all grippers (193 lbs, 197 lbs and 201 lbs) by 2-3 mm.

Edited by Teemu I

• 4 weeks later...

Time to practice what I preach! :tongue

R: Choked BBSE 197 lbs, 15 mm setting, 5 x 1

- struggled with first two, then managed to blast through the ROM with last 3 singles

L: Choked #3.5 185 lbs, 18 mm setting, 5 x 1

- strength level varied all around, got 2 strong closes and had to force in the rest

This is the beginning of a phase during which I intend to gain back the sharpest edge of my crush. 15 mm to go with that BBSE, meaning that I want to get back to 30 mm choker close. Then I'm ready to scare hard grippers.

Edited by Teemu I

Guest Bullitt

Time to practice what I preach! :tongue

R: Choked BBSE 197 lbs, 15 mm setting, 5 x 1

- struggled with first two, then managed to blast through the ROM with last 3 singles

L: Choked #3.5 185 lbs, 18 mm setting, 5 x 1

- strength level varied all around, got 2 strong closes and ad to force in the rest

This is the beginning of a phase during which I intend to gain back the sharpest edge of my crush. 15 mm to go with that BBSE, meaning that I want to get back to 30 mm choker close. Then I'm ready to scare hard grippers.

great stuff Teemu! :mosher Following your advice on the choker work has really paid off for me lately.

Thanks Mike! I'm glad my advice has been useful!

I also saw that you had spread the word about my choker-article, thank you for that! :)

Tried to train choked grippers today, despite beeing spent from yesterday's rope climbing and other gymnastics I did.

Was able to hold the grippers closed, but the initial squeeze was too poor to close the grippers without the help of my free hand.

• 3 months later...

Gripper No Sets

8 x 1 X Easy CoC #3.5 – 4 closes with right hand

Extended handle negatives, BB Pro 3 x 1

Thanks guys! :)

MMS-test:

R: BB Elite (3,54)

L: BB Elite (3,32)

That's my current MMS-level after break. Fun to see how much time it takes to get back.

1. MMS-grippers

R: #3.5 (3,28) 4 x 2

L: #3 (3,00) 4 x 2

- 2 min rest periods

2. Thickbar chins

1 x 8

1 x 8

1 x 5

1 x 4

1 x 3

- 2 min rest periods

3. Fingertip hangs for time

1 x max time (which certainly wasn’t much better than 5 secs this time!)

I’d say thickbar chins are one of the better things you could do to improve your grip training at home.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been able to keep the log up to date. But more importantly, I've still trained :)

1. Grippers, MMS

R: 5 x 1 x 3,64 BBSE, missed all attempts slightly

L: 5 x 1 x 3,28 CoC #3.5, missed all attempts slightly

- Not feeling 100% today

2. Pony clamp negs

5 x 5

Edited by Teemu I

• 2 months later...

I wish I could confidently say that I'll be back to my best gripping form, but that's all still out in the open. I firmly believe that I progressed with grippers to the point I couldn't make progress anymore, without getting stronger overall. I believe I got (almost) everything out of my forearms, I almost made it to the #4 but couldn't get it confidently enough to get a clear video showing the set as I'd like. So I have to admit I lost interest as my lower back gave me plenty of trouble and I couldn't train with weights as I'd liked. But I'm again growing optimistic, as my back feels quite good now and with patience I should be able to rebuild what I had. The hunt for #4 has begun, again. I will not give up.

At the moment, I'm good for 3,54 BB Elite with my right hand and able to close an easy #3.5 with my left. I've somehow managed to maintain atleast decent grip without much training. In fact I probably didn't touch grippers for a couple months.

Now if some of you guys could say something to get me properly pissed, it would be greatly appreciated and helpful. :D Something like you'll never close the #4, or something. ;)

About time you got back at it! Keen to watch you ramp it up again with Paul and Gabriel getting in top form.

THE #4 OWNS YOU! How's that?

Seriously, it's good to see you posting again. I've learned quite a bit from reading your journal, and I hope you'll continue to post your training routines and ideas.

Best wishes.