Double Overhand Bending Race With...

EricMilfeld

Had a pretty good day today, attempted 6" red, got it to 90. Grabbed 7" red wrapped it in IM pads and killed it (20 seconds tops). Finished with 3 6" x 5/16" Timber ties, I think they are equal to reds for the most part, a little less consistent, have had a couple beasts and a couple duds. With them the IM pads feel safer but more painful, the suede feels like the nail could come right through if you're not careful. I feel real confident for the red cert whenever it happens. I think I'm weaker in the last half of the bend, don't know if its mostly strength I'm lacking or technique.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• EricMilfeld

• burner

• Dude

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a pretty good day today, attempted 6" red, got it to 90. Grabbed 7" red wrapped it in IM pads and killed it (20 seconds tops). Finished with 3 6" x 5/16" Timber ties, I think they are equal to reds for the most part, a little less consistent, have had a couple beasts and a couple duds. With them the IM pads feel safer but more painful, the suede feels like the nail could come right through if you're not careful. I feel real confident for the red cert whenever it happens. I think I'm weaker in the last half of the bend, don't know if its mostly strength I'm lacking or technique.

It is not strength you big ox! And I can not help you with technique, but maybe you should grow out your hair.

-Sean

Grip comp was fun, got 2nd, pretty good for 2nd time on most of the implements. Cant wait for another one.

My best bends have always come the day AFTER an medium volume session. For me its about 25-30 60ds over a good period of time. I'm not sure if its a muscle memory thing but my technique is at its best the day later. Other times I'll take a few days off from bending and expect to do awesome and its completely the opposite. From now on when I come off a break I'm gonna try to do the high easy volume followed by next day max bends and see what happens.

Great job Ron!

Bending today was going to be a light day and turned into a comedy of errors and festival of pain. That's right I punched my self a lot, again. :blink But here is what I managed:

(2) G5s at 6"

(2) 6.5" FBBC 5/16"er video will be posted soon. Having difficulty up loading *funny story with this

(2) 5.5" Red attempts video to follow both failures but man were they fun and yes I made a blooper reel for them, again uploading issues, I think it is my modem/DSL connection/server/I DO NOT KNOW

So it was all in all a good day.

* the funny story is that when I bent the first 6.5" FBBC I was alone, sheepishly trying to see if I could before committting to a video. After I did it I went and grabbed my camera which has video but is not as high speed as Deaner's. Anyway, my wife volunteers to films I show her how it is going to work, film the bar next to the tape measure, keep the bar in frame, yata, yata, and then I saw I had plenty of time 700+ seconds I thought no sweat...Then she clicks the button and I was looking over her shoulder to ensure she was doing it right (micromanaging) and I saw the seconds meter drop to 70 seconds and I was then in a rush to bend the damn thing and well it was the first time I actually felt like I exploded into the bar. Long story short, too late, it wasone of my fasted hard bends, which lead to the 5.5" Red attempts.

-Sean

Congratulations, Ron!

Nice work on those Big Bastard bars, Sean!

Nice work on those Bastard bars boys :bow As someone who only just has the RED in his sites and is only just killing standard G8,s your accomplishments as well as the other BASTARDS on this boars :D is really :bow Thanks for all the motivation to get my old ass into gear :D

Here is the bends from this weekend:

5.5" Red Attempt

6.5" FBBC

I think this bending thing was a lot of fun but like my buddy Ken says in the 5.5" Red video, I should get a helmet and mouth guard.

-Sean

Measure twice, cut once is the lesson from the weekend. I cut a Red to 5" this weekend and thought, damn that is short, and damn it will be a long time before I can hit that piece. And then my buddy Ken who was watching me cut up the stock before bending remarked "Measure twice, cut once..." We laughed and then he said "then again you are bending steel with your hands, so what does measuring really have to do with anything?" We laughed and then I said "roll tape!"

-Sean

Nice work on those Bastard bars boys :bow As someone who only just has the RED in his sites and is only just killing standard G8,s your accomplishments as well as the other BASTARDS on this boars :D is really  :bow Thanks for all the motivation to get my old ass into gear :D

Stay after it man, it will come sooner than you think, and then you will wonder why it did not happen sooner.

-Sean

Great Job at the comp Ron. You need to get that FBBC stock soon or Sean is going to win this race

Sean, I don't know what happened but you are on fire. That is just sick! Keep it going and kill that 6".

Taking a week off feels sooo much better. Did a little more DO with some grade 5s. I don't think I am doing it correctly at all. I think I need Eric's e book? Bent a few 5/16" HRS DU. I will be in Germany for the next three weeks over Christmas break. Don't know if I will be able to bend much but I will spent the time strengthing my wrists and getting ready to play catch up when I get back. Good luck to all, I will be coming for ya!

Mike,

Have fun in the Motherland. I loved Germany when I was there back in 98' and I imagine it is still the same old fun place. Rest up and hit is hard.

-Sean

Nice job on the short Bastard, Sean!

Mike, enjoy Germany. Lucky dog!

12-13-05

I Was talking to Greg today and he mentioned that the size of my wraps were a bit large and that having a kink pad and a crush down pad might seem strange to some people on the board. So in the spirit of doing it right and legitimate I came home and measured them and then cut them to Greg's specifications. Now Greg said that he is not trying to set hard and fast rules so do not go and get excited about the measurements but here is what he suggested: 4.25-4.5" Wide and 12" long. He said his overall thickness when rolled ( I assume around a Red) is about 3/4". So after I cut my down to the size he recommended and measured they are about 1, 1/8" thick when wrapped around a Red. Which to my recollection is still where he said would pass most scrutiny. (Greg, if you are reading this feel free to add or subtract if I mis-quote you in any way)

His concern, and I believe it to be in all of our best interest is that too much wrap offers unfair leverage. I concur with these sediments. Long story short, the main reason came from the use of two wraps, one for kinking, and one for crushing down. I do see his point and will say that my only reason for my using two wraps were strictly time related. I have limited time on my camera and wanted to expedite the bends. Anyway, not a rant but a helpful clarification. And it got the best of me. Feeling as if I had cheated myself somehow, no fault to Greg, I wrapped up my new cut wraps and did the following:

(1) G5 1/4"X6"

(1) IM Red

(1) FBBC 6" bent just past 90 degrees, now this was my first attempt at the HUGE BASTARD and it was tough. I did not notice a big difference in the bend except the pain to my pointer finger.

Rest assured that I will keep the smaller 4.25"X12" wraps for all bends now on. I did not have to switch or move the wrap from start to finish and do not mind the change. I posted this comment to say that you to Greg. I have always been a man of integrity and take my word and integrity as a man very seriously. Rules are rules and I want to be doing this right.

-Sean

Sean, these are all valid concerns. I would add that there is a sweet spot for wrap thickness. I've tried wraps as thick as 1.5" and found that they actually decreased my leverage.

Sean and Greg

Good piont i 2 think my wraps are a bit FAT :D i have also been messing about with the thickness .I have also been useing 2 sets of wraps one for the kink and one for the crush.

A question to the advanced benders.

At what piont do you feel the wraps thickness are an aid rather than protection,Eric made a comment about leverage on the thicker wraps which i agree with,i feel personally that i can get more bending sessions in per week with the thicker wraps as my hands dont take as much as a beating and being 44yers old recovery and time are against me so to speak,also i enjoy bending sometimes everyday and feel that if i was to go to say the ironman pads my bending would be cut to once per week or less :D

Speaking for myself only, when the pads are about 1" or less pain tolerance becomes an issue.

1" works fine for me.

I want to improve my bending strength not my pain tolerance.

mine are about 3/4" (IM pads) and I've never had a problem except with really short pieces on the crushdown with it digging into my palm. I'm going to try some thicker wraps soon and play around between comfort and feel, because I like being able to "feel" the nail in my hand when I bend.

Sean,

With wraps there are more opinions than there are rules. My thinking is do whatever you want your only doing this for fun. When there is a contest or a cert, do whatever you need to do within the rules. BUT I was asked my opinion of the bend, not my opinion on how it relates to rules etc. I gave my opinion which is that you should not use two sets of wraps to complete a bend. If the wrap is too thick to crush the bar down then it is too thick. This is only my opinion nothing more.

My wraps are normally 4.25" x 10.5" I do use 4.25" x 12" as my hands get sore. There is definitely a sweet spot on wraps. I believe that longer wraps make the kink easier and the crush harder. Shorter wraps are much better for the crushdown and increase the pain inflicted. I honestly think 3/4" - 1" diameter thick roll when wrapped around a red is ideal. I believe that below 3/4" is to thin and too painful, this is particularly true when doing a lot of hard bends one after another. I agree with Franky I am doing this for strength not pain tolerance (although I think I have a fair amount of that as well :laugh )

You guys are doing great I love all the excitement around bending seems like the last two years have been really good for bending as more and more are taking it up.

Greg Amidon

Sean,

With wraps there are more opinions than there are rules.  My thinking is do whatever you want your only doing this for fun.  When there is a contest or a cert, do whatever you need to do within the rules.  BUT I was asked my opinion of the bend, not my opinion on how it relates to rules etc.  I gave my opinion which is that you should not use two sets of wraps to complete a bend.  If the wrap is too thick to crush the bar down then it is too thick.  This is only my opinion nothing more. 

My wraps are normally 4.25" x 10.5"  I do use 4.25" x 12" as my hands get sore.  There is definitely a sweet spot on wraps.  I believe that longer wraps make the kink easier and the crush harder.  Shorter wraps are much better for the crushdown and increase the pain inflicted.  I honestly think 3/4" - 1" diameter thick roll when wrapped around a red is ideal.  I believe that below 3/4" is to thin and too painful, this is particularly true when doing a lot of hard bends one after another.  I agree with Franky I am doing this for strength not pain tolerance (although I think I have a fair amount of that as well :laugh )

You guys are doing great I love all the excitement around bending seems like the last two years have been really good for bending as more and more are taking it up.

Greg Amidon

Thanks for the comments Greg. Sometimes I think these topics should be discussed and test the waters. As always, it was nicley put. I did expect a puss comment :tongue or a casual sissy.

Oh and I do not think anyone will ever really question your pain tolerance. Oh I am bending a 100 Reds in three hours and oh, maybe having skin on my hands really is a bad thing! :yikes

-Sean

12-14

FBBC = BRICK

Got some FBBC today, with some assorted stock. Figured I'd try a 6.5" and got it in a minute or so. Probably shouldve warmed up before hand so it wouldnt have taken so long but ended up finishing it. Was tough as hell.

Went for a 6" piece and didnt get very far until disaster :blush. Got it going and then the IM wraps took of a callous right in the inside of my middle finger. I need to find an alternative to the IM pads because on big bends they take my callouses off with them even after filing and its getting annoying.

http://usera.imagecave.com/vermont/1stFBBC.jpg

(Bent 6.5 and heinously failed 6" :help )

I need to work on moving my hands to the ends of the nail instead of right next to each other for leverage. Also need to get stronger with some sledge stuff because that MS stock that I bought is wayyy easier than the fbbc stuff unless I'm having the biggest off day ever.

I don't think the 6" is gonna come to me on a good day or a luck hit. I believe I'll have to work up all around strength with things other than strict bending in order to nail it. When I go home next week I'll be picking up a sledge to train with. Any of you other guys train with other stuff aside from bending? Looking for some quality exercises.

Eric if you would please PM me your address. I'd like to send you out some of this MS stuff for you to check out and give feeback on, maybe even calibrate it to see where it stands. I'm really bad with determining differences, but I'd like to know roughly where it is. Sean, Deaner, Mike if you guys would like me to nip you off a couple of pieces to bend lemme know I have a ton of it. Much easier than the FBBC and red stuff, lol.

I must say though, the FBBC stock is beautiful. :) So shiny and edges grinded down. Just wish I could bend some of the damn stuff.

Prob be a few days off for me unless I get frustrated and tape something over the finger. In the meantime would like to see Sean nail the 6" to motivate me! :bow

Ron,

I think you will enjoy the FBBC stock. I will post a picture of my 6" FBBC attempt tonight so you can see how far away I am. Keep after it man. Heal up and get after it.

-Sean

12-14-2005

Good news. I think I'm starting to heal up, in a strange sort of way. I say that because only three days ago I could hardly bench 135 due to the pain, but today I could actually bend some decent steel with only a hint of a little "something" in the armpit area.

- Steel Works 5/16" x 7"

- Steel Works 5/16" x 5.5" (about 3/4" off center)

- FBBC 5/16" x 6.5" hex (felt easy, and no pain whatsoever, but I decided to quit while I was ahead)

A little anecdote about the last bend. I tried bending tonight using padding only 1" thick, which worked well till I got to the sharp edges of the hex. I wimped on the pain. So I used padding only 1 1/8" thick and it submitted with no back talk! I think for Edgins I would definitely need to rely on my usual 1 1/4" wraps. Also, I've skipped several bending sessions, and yet I felt strong tonight. I think becoming a fatty has its advantages! :yikes