Double Overhand Bending Race With...

EricMilfeld

11-26

Wasn't gonna bend tonight but figured I'd give the 6" a try again.

w/ IM pads + 2 small pieces of electrical tape to keep my index finger callouses on.

(1) 7" red

(1) 6" x 1/4" crs MS stock

Failed (1)- 6"x 5/16 MS stock. Got it a little further than 90 but still hit a wall. Might make a video soon for you guys to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Makes me mad b/c I get it to 90 so fast. Thinking about doing some 60d volume tommorrow night, hopefully working with a lot of 6" stuff will help.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• EricMilfeld

• burner

• Dude

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron, yes, please do show us a video, cuz it could very well be a technique issue.

Feeling like a big pussy I headed back to the garage and wrapped up a IM Red with the dreaded IM pads. Still a bit sore from yesterday I managed to do this:

(1) IM Red w/ IM pads FAIL! still trying to shake my pussidious

(1) Grade 8 at 6" with IM Pads

I am not convinced that my pussidious will be a 96 hour bug and in a few days I will f*&^ing own an IM Red with those damn pads. It is just a mental thing right now and I just need to get some volume with them and then own the Reds again with the IM pads.

Chest wis way sore from yesterday and I was concerned about the AC joint in my shoulder. For those who are superstitious here is one for you, not that I am Samson or anything but think about this correlation:

Getting great bends, killed three Reds at Deaner's (also had my longest hair ever and a beard, shitty but a beard just the same)

Went in for a hair "trim" and the butcher expert at Great Clips chopped my lovely locks and in a fit of depression I try to cut my own throat but only manage to shave, now bending nothing but shit and my shoulder is hurting more than normal. All I can think is that the hair dressers name was Delilah and I desperately need to knock some buildings down.

Good new, growing the beard back and bending seems to be picking back up, coincidence? Perhaps but I should keep growing the hair just in case.

-Sean

I'm not really superstitious, but superstitious thoughts sure do creep into my head when I'm not performing so well. But just to be safe, you better go ahead and let your locks grow out, Sean.

Wow! Nice work, all of you.

Eric- good work with the 8"

Sean- keep it up man! I like the fire, just stay healthy and grow out your hair

Ron- I have the same problem with shorter stuff, getting stuck at 90, can't quite interlock the hands

I bend tomorrow. NO EXCUSES!!! Errrrrrrr

11-27-05

(3) Grade 2 6"

(3) 1/4 HRS, Zinc 7", 7", 4"

(1) 1/4 Square 5.5"

(7) 5/16 HRS, Zinc 7"

Went to Tracker Supply and got some new stock (National). Feels about the same as Steelworks. Zinc is tougher than the HRS. Hands were still hurtin; after I got going it wasn't so bad. I will try my best to wait a week to bend; I have all this steel and it needs to get what it has coming, real bad!!!!

Eric-

I watched your video again. Awesome!!!

Thanks, Mike!

If you can hold off, what will next week have in store for you, Mike? 6.5" zincs?

By the way guys, do ya'll methodically plan out your workouts ahead of time or do ya'll tend to play it by ear? I've noticed even when I try to plan out a workout it rarely goes as planned, since I will make adjustments based on how easy the steel is feeling. And then there's the times I just get in the mood for something different. But it's all fun!

I have a plan to start with but it usually gets all twisted up. (pun intended) But really I have tried to stick with something, heavy days followed by volume days, but it really depends on what kind of stock I have in hand. (Two puns, fantanstic!) But I guess it is much like most, if the steel feels easy that day I do not try to hold back anything and just bend until I can no longer get things to bend. (Three puns, ah, ah, ah...)

-Sean

I kinda have a plan or goal but it is all feel for sure. I usually bend until I don't have much left in me, and time is an issue. Two hours is about my max limit (and most of the time I bend after a workout). Volume is the way to make sure that I am getting stronger and don't get hurt.

I have thought about have a more disciplined structure to the workouts to make sure that I am progressing but with bending there is such a hight risk of injury, I never want to push anything. I don't want this attitude to hold me back from new barriers to bending. Maybe I am being a humoungous pussy about this!

I would like to know your all thoughts on how hard to push it without risking injury?

I kinda have a plan or goal but it is all feel for sure.  I usually bend until I don't have much left in me, and time is an issue.  Two hours is about my max limit (and most of the time I bend after a workout).  Volume is the way to make sure that I am getting stronger and don't get hurt. 

I have thought about have a more disciplined structure to the workouts to make sure that I am progressing but with bending there is such a hight risk of injury, I never want to push anything.  I don't want this attitude to hold me back from new barriers to bending.  Maybe I am being a humoungous pussy about this! 

I would like to know your all thoughts on how hard to push it without risking injury?

There is no way to predict when you will get hurt bending. The motion is explosive and you will have no way to know when it will happen. Moving up slowly and getting volume in is one way to limit your exposure to injury. As soon as you go for a max bend you are at risk for injury. If you hold back and try to be less explosive you will never get a max and if you do explode into it you might get hurt.

Take the time and build up your base strenght and tendon strength to handle the big bends. It is nearly impossible to hold yourself back from trying the next touger thing, but remember, there is ALWAYS a tougher piece of steel. Thicker shorter you name it. Time is on your side and if you start thinking about injury, relax and work some volume and your confidence back up.

I like what you guys are doing and enjoy reading it. BTW Sean, your hair is not the issue you long haired hippy wimp, you clearly have a case of vaginosis and some rest and anger will cure it ;)

BTW Sean, your hair is not the issue you long haired hippy wimp, you clearly have a case of vaginosis and some rest and anger will cure it ;)

Thanks for the pick me up Greg, oh and BTW did you bend that 3.5" 60d nail Double Overhand right?

-Sean

i dont really plan on bending. I just end up going by how bad my hands hurt. Usually volume kills my hands so I go for like 2-3 pieces warmup and then go for something big.

The part that I hate about my hands is its not an injury but a pain thats just outright annoying. Usually when I'm done I can't close my hands and they shake like I have alzheimer's for an hour or so and then it goes away. Lately, when I know I'm going to bend, I'll take 800mg Ibuprofen as preventative measures for when the hands begin to hurt. On special days maybe a 6 pack of sam adams before hand and then go at it. :D

11-28

Today just did some 60d's. Could of done more but the hands were acting up again.

(24) 60d's

They are the cement coated ones from Home Depot, have a whole box of them. I think they're inconsistent with strength because every few I'll slam my hands and pinch my fingers together and it kills when I get an easy one, lol.

Tonight after I get back from the gym and practice I may try to tackle some of the 5/16 stuff I bought depending on how the hands feel.

Thanks for the pick me up Greg, oh and BTW did you bend that 3.5" 60d nail Double Overhand right?

-Sean

DO. The trick with bending short steel DO is you have to essentially start it "Slim Style" at your neck. You cannot bend one the same way you do the longer bars it is just too difficult. If you use your wrists to get it bent it is much easier. Crushing the thing under 2" was a real bitch, there is almost nothing to hold on to.

Greg

I've tried warming up. But lately I don't. I usually feel strongest after some other type of lifting. I definately go by feel with my bending workouts, if I feel a little weak, I take it easier. I usually have to stop because of pain in my hands, and I really don't think thats a good thing.

I usually have to stop because of pain in my hands, and I really don't think thats a good thing.

same here, think it just comes with the hobby :blink

11-29

Bought some more chalk today and decided to bring the IM pads out of retirement again. Much better.

(1) 1/4" x 6" hex

(3) 5/16" x 6" crs

(1) 5/16 x 5.5" crs failed

Got some of the bending on the film. Doesnt really count bc I have tape on my fingers to hold the callouses but I know I have the strength there. Pussed out on the 5.5 towards the end when it slipped, shouldve kept at it but I literally snipped it off my stock after a 6" and tried it :). Not FBBC but getting close :D

P.S. - my hands hurt

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3542

Nice work Ron.

-Sean

11-29-05

Last night I went back to work:

(1) G5 at 6" IM pads

(1) G8 at 6" IM pads

These things are still feeling weird. I think it is something about their thickness that is throwing me off. My form changes somehow and I get lost in how I am supposed to apply the force, then I wrap it in leather and bang! Who knows.

(1) IM Red with leather

(1) finished off a kinked 6.5" IM Red IM pads

(1) wobbled a IM Red in Leather to look like ( then finished her off w/ IM pads

(1) IM Red with leather trying to explode into it, 25 second bend

I am just frustrated with those damn pads. my pinkies have nothing to hold on to and they just feel strange in my hands, but they are getting easier to bend the g5's and g8's, so that nice, I got that going for me, perhaps on my death bed I will reach complete and total consciousness.

-Sean

Sean chalk the living piss out of the pads, mine are a light bluish white after I'm done chalking them. Open them up and chalk both inside and outside. You'll get used to them I'm sure. I hated them until I chalked them to hell and saw how they really "grabbed" the nail when I was bending and now I love them.

Thanks for the advice Ron. I will do.

My FBBC stock came in and John "Nice Guy" Beatty sent an extra hex bar that I am dying to try. John, thanks again the stock looks great, smooth edges and clean bars, all of them.

Greg, any advice on making those IM pads work for me, and I mean besides the removal of my pussy?

-Sean

I have to coach and put on a wrestling tournament all day Saturday, but if you wanted to swing in it is at Bartlett, or just hook up Sunday.

-Sean

Ron n' Sean, man you two are tearing it up in tandem!!

11-29-05

Well, this is as close as I've come to suffering a full blown injury since my career in bending began 2 years and two months ago. I felt a painful sensation in my right armpit area immediately after failing to certify on an Edgin a couple of weeks ago. Of course this wasn't gonna impede my training whatsoever! Apparently I further strained the muscle, or tendon, the night I did the 7.5" grd 5. That bend went fine, but I think straining to get that 8" bolt moving, and then immediately going into a 7.25" grd 5 that got hung up at 2.25", did me in further. So, last night here's what went down:

- warmed up with a Mike Spike :) (carusom's 70D nail)

- kinked two 1/4 x 7.25" pieces of steel taped together before I felt a serious ouch, but tried to get it moving again several more times, but to no avail :cry

- so let's try something shorter (hoping it won't stress the injured area as much), did a 5 1/8" Mike Spike (had to hold it at waist level and pinch the ends between my thumb and forefingers and apply the pressure slowly and deliberately to avoid that seering pain) Okay, maybe I double overed it slowly and deliberately.

I know the way I am. There's no way I'm gonna put down the nails till a make a FULL recovery, but I will try and exercise some form of restraint and common sense.