Double Overhand Bending Race With...

EricMilfeld

This will be a log of our training as my three competitors duke it out to gain Huge Bastard status. That's a bend with a 5/16 x 6" FBBC round bar. I'll be going for a Gripboard certification with a 5/16 x 7" grade 5 bolt. Let the games begin!!!

11-2-05

-5/16 x 6.75" hexagonal bar

-took a fresh grade 5 down past ninety degrees, and couldn't go further - a long, hard battle

-strained isometrically on another grd 5 that was stuck past ninety degrees

-then later in the day, did a 5/16 x 6.5" hex

-finished bending a 5/16 x 6.5" hex I had only managed to slightly kink the week previous

You'll notice I didn't "warmup", as I started bending in the middle of a grip workout. And other than plate pinching, v-bar, 2.5" thickbar, and some occasional levering to the nose, I'll be doing no other assistance type exercises. I do perform flat benches, push presses, cheat curls, dumbell rows, and deads weekly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• EricMilfeld

• burner

• Dude

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric-

Thank you for starting this log. Will you bend more than once a day if you feel like you didn't get enough the first time? How does that 6.5 Hex feel compared to the grade 5? your a beast, keep it up

I am pumped about this log. I usually bend DU, but I think I will start mixing in some DO also. Good luck to everyone! Lets see who can get there first!? (knowing Eric he will probably do it tomorrow :) )

:):)

Mike, my grip workouts in general have never been real structured. When the mood strikes me, I bend. :D In fact, I'm going out to the garage right now to try for a PR in honor of Eric's memorial contest being held later today, even though I'm not "supposed" to bend for another three days.

The 6.5" hex is easier than the grd 5, especially because it "gains momentum", unlike the big bolt, which fights you from start to finish.

I'm really pumped up for all of us! Thanks for taking part. I know you'll surprise yourself with some awesome bending.

Eric Townsend Memorial Bend

November 5, 2005

Realizing time was running out on my chance to get a new personal record in honor of Eric, I reverently strode to the garage in quest of a new bending milestone. I cut 1/4" off my previous best, and gave my mightiest effort with a 5/16 x 6 1/4" hexagonal FBBC bar. But it was not to be. Too tired from the high intensity workout of only a couple days previous? Perhaps. The pain in my forefingers was almost unbearable. Determined to do something worthy for a fallen grip brother, I attacked the v-bar with 308 pounds. Twice I failed. On to plate pinching. Again, twice I failed with the unkown weight of 196 pounds. Feeling frustrated, and almost desperate, I tried my hand at barbell wrist curling. Despite the fact I hadn't trained this discipline in many months I was hopeful that 195 would cooperate. But cooperate it did not. Now the frustration had turned to a deep, burning animosity. An animosity bordering on rage, for that slightly wounded, sharp edged instrument of pain, taunting me from the garage floor. Once again I wrapped up the chunk of steel.

But unlike before, all doubt I cast aside. A few minutes later, with flesh torn from my hand, I stood victorious over the crushed piece of metal, and knew that I had honored one of Gripdom's most likeable and respected citizens, Eric Townsend.

Thank you Eric for your sympathies.

Eric-

Great story! Congrats on your new PR and monster determination.

11-6-05

(1) TT

(4) 3/8 Aluminum 7'', 6.75'', 6.5'', 6.25''

(1) 3/8 All thread 6.5''

(2) Grade 5 5.5''

(2) 5/16 HRS 7'', 6.5'' (PR)

(1) 5/16 FBBC 7'' kinked 20 degrees :angry:

(2) 1/4 FBBC Square 7''

(1) 1/4 Square 6''

(1) 5/16 Grade 2 6'' (PR)

(1) Grade 8 6''

The aluminum was easy, just playing around to see what it felt like; I like bending new things. All thread was a pain this time, got it off center and had to fight it what seemed like forever. FBBC CRS was tough, kicked the crap out of me; not happy about this, errr!!! I was very happy about the 5/16 Grade 2; this was the toughest bend of the day, by far. My crush is finally starting to get better and the grade 8's aren't so bad to crush down any more. Attempted another 1/4 Square at the end but hardly got anywhere, I was trashed. Chest crushed my #4 a couple of times and that did me in :cry .

Mike nice work, thats a lot of bending right there. I wouldnt call my bends tonight a workout but my hands are still vibrating typing this, lol.

Bent 1 60D as a warmup. Then bent a 6.5" red, and then completely missed the 6". Might try to switch to leather from the IM pads. I was surprised at how much harder it got nipping off a 1/2"...from like 60 degrees on is a workout to crush it down.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3380

For some reason everytime I've been stuck with a bend its always the same amount of kink, like in the pic above. Think I might be putting putting to much chest pressure inwards and not enough up into the nail when things get tough for me. I gotta take a few solid days off. That callous re-ripped off again and the hands are vibrating, and I think I can get more of that 6" being fresh. Keep up the bending!

Ron-

Your already there! Your gonna get this 6'' in no time. 1 60d for warm up. Do you do any other kind of warm up??

I don't start bending hard until I really feel like I am ready to go. When I first started bending, I wouldn't warm up at all and ended up hurting myself real bad.

Ron-

Your already there!  Your gonna get this 6'' in no time.  1 60d for warm up.  Do you do any other kind of warm up??

I don't start bending hard until I really feel like I am ready to go.  When I first started bending, I wouldn't warm up at all and ended up hurting myself real bad.

I was doing a lot of the grippers earlier in the day. I need to start warming up more with some TTs, but my buddies bend them all everytime I get a box, haha. A lot of times I'll do 4-5 60ds and then try the big stuff. Tonight I think I was so anxious to try getting a PR I didnt think to warmup right, lol.

Well gentlemen, I will also have to say that Deaner might be interested in getting in on this. He is a great guy and currently the only other guy in the area that is really into bending right now (huh hmm...sundown, get your ass in gear). So if Deaner posts in here then it will be added motivation, after all he is the one that got me started me bending in the first place. Ahh the fond memories, he has seen me fail at a 40d nail when we started this journey.

Anywho:

Friday night 4th November: (got my Reds in the mail with new IM pads)

(1) 60d nail DO

(1) 60d nail DU

(1) Red nail DO

Just had to do some bending to show some guys who had never seen me bend before. Anyway, I am glad to see evryone is into this race and I fear that Ron will dominate in no time when he feels how nice leather can be on the hands vs. those IM pads of paper.

Anyway great job guys keep it up. I think the hardest think about these races is that everytime I read a post of someone else's bending work out I feel a compulsion to go to the garage or bend at work. Man it is always like flabbergastenpoopy I need to get after it or I will fall behind!

-Sean

Mike, my what a voluminous workout! Being that you did a 6.5" Steel Works, the Bastard bar could fall any minute for you. Congrats on those new PRs!

Ron, awesome work on that shortened Red! Yep, I too get stuck at that same postition, although sometimes I will get stuck at just past ninety degrees.

you guys have done it I am headed to the garage right now to cut some Reds down to 6.5"!!!!!!

-Sean

Sean, I know what you mean about the flabbergastenpoopy! :laugh

I think the hardest think about these races is that everytime I read a post of someone else's bending work out I feel a compulsion to go to the garage or bend at work. Man it is always like flabbergastenpoopy I need to get after it or I will fall behind!

-Sean

hahahaha, thats why I always get hurt.

How'd u like the IM pads Sean? My advice is carry them around and crush and twist them for a day. Then chalk the hell out of them inside and out. Just watch out, they rip your hands up real fast which I'm quickly figuring out.

Sean- ya man, have deaner post! more fuel for everyone. Can't wait to see how the 6.5'' goes!! Kill it!

Eric- Not sure what to do with volume right now. I just bend until I can't get anything within a tough range. I am thinking that this will be the way that I will get stronger.? I am still trying to figure what might work best??

Ron- Does it help to crush up the IM pads? Does this make them so they are more pliable to roll? Mine suck to roll up, never feels like I get a tight roll on them.

Edited by carusom1

Well fellas I am starring at (2) 6.5" Reds and (1) 6" Red and telling myself over and over again to wait until atleast Wednesday!

Ron- I have tried to bend Reds with Deaner's IM pads and man they are thin and hurt my little fingers and then my back hurts from all the landscaping I have to do! :) We will see man, we will see.

Eric- I will have to learn patience and some control so I do not hurt myself. But it is just so damn rewarding to feel steel move in your hands and know you caused it and nothing else.

Soon I will post my progress. But will it be tomorrow or Wednesday or tonight?

Remember control...

-Sean

Ron- Does it help to crush up the IM pads?  Does this make them so they are more pliable to roll?  Mine suck to roll up, never feels like I get a tight roll on them.

I crushed the heck outta them, twisting and crumpling a lot. What I soon found is that they will never roll up without the creases in them. Chalk is what makes them even usable. Without chalk you can easily slip and snap jab yourself in the head (which I've done). Sometimes I'll put the loose end under my foot and pull it tight so I get a good wrap, or 1/2 on the edge of a table. Overall bending will eventually break them in. I'm gonna give leather a go next time and see how it stacks to the IM pads with tougher stuff.

Without chalk you can easily slip and snap jab yourself in the head (which I've done). Sometimes I'll put the loose end under my foot and pull it tight so I get a good wrap, or 1/2 on the edge of a table. Overall bending will eventually break them in. I'm gonna give leather a go next time and see how it stacks to the IM pads with tougher stuff.

I don't how you do that :laugh:kiss

thanks for the help

Mike, your workout philosophy is definitely working for you. And what else matters? The main reason I prefer my abbreviated workouts is the simple fact that I have difficulty getting psyched for a multitude of bends, especially when they are submaximal. Being amped up for a particular style of workout is atleast as important as the content of the workout itself. Atleast I think so.

Sean, you're a better man than I. Self control I have not.

Keep up with those inspirational workouts you three! :mosher

Well I could not wait!

(1) G5X6" DO

(1) IM Red Nail DO

(1) S.W. 5/16"X6.5" DO

(1) G8X6" DO

(1) G8X5.5" DO

And that's all she wrote.

-Sean

Nice work Sean

How do your hands feel? You've been bending a lot lately.

I think I might have to give in and bend some time this week to keep up.

Nice work Sean

How do your hands feel?  You've been bending a lot lately.

I think I might have to give in and bend some time this week to keep up.

Mike,

Right now it is not my hands so much as my pointer fingers and my shoulders. I was spent after last night and lately I think that if I do not slow down a bit something is going to pop! I have some good soreness at the front heads of my shoulders, Anterior? Anyway just being a puss again.

For some reason the G8 at 5.5" was easy to kink and start the crush down but at the last .5" it got tough again.

Later,

-Sean

11-8-05

I came home from work with the bug:

-After several attempts I managed to finish off a big grd 5 that had froze at just past ninety degrees. I think the grd 5s harden up after cooling off.

-Then I failed to budge a big grd 5 that I had previously wobbled. This made me mad. Sooo...

-To my delight I took a fresh big grd 5 down to ninety degrees faster than I ever have (maybe30 seconds), and then over the course of several long, grueling minutes managed to finish it off. :)

At this point, even duct tape on my left palm wasn't going to prevent the injury I sustained while doing that PR bend in honor of Eric Townsend from getting real nasty. And I don't get off on blood.