Double Overhand Bending Race With...

EricMilfeld

Eric,

Great work man. I applaud the effort and know how frustrating it can be to not finish a bend. It has been my contention that when you succeed in a bend you should be able to reproduce it again and again. I know this seems to be really stupid but I mentally can out think my muscles, I still fail do not get me wrong but my mind continues to try to get it.

The voices in my head say "come on sissy, you just bent that Red nail, so why are you struggling with this one, it may be your third today but come on...a Red nail is a Red nail, you're just being a pussy!" Which at that point I vocalize my frustration and shout "ALRIGHT DAMN IT!" and look around to see it anyone noticed, alone in the garage, I continue to bend.

I will be taking a week off though, my AC joint on my right shoulder is really sore and not the kind of muscle soreness I wish to push through but the, hmm...you have been here before and this was right before you hurt yourself, so this time take a damn break for at least a week already!

We will see how long that lasts though. Perhaps I will just go and get some more G8s and knock down some volume instead of trying for PRs every time. I think Heath Sexton said some shit like that and when I read it the first time I thought, man that seems to be sound advice, so I will now choose to heed his advice. I will wait until next Monday, err... Tuesday? Next week...

-Sean

Edited by smp76

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• EricMilfeld

• burner

• Dude

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Sean.

I think you're on the right track. And I know what you're saying about your mind refusing to let your body fail at something it's succeeded with before. I do this all the time.

Deaner,

You in on this yet?

-Sean

Sean-

Rest up man, the last thing we should do is get hurt!!

Eric-

That has to be kind of frustrating. Way to stick with it and finish it off. I don't care how long it takes, bending a 5/16 grade 5 is awesome.

What if you toke some tough stock, just under the grade 5, bend it to 90, let it cool, then finish it off later. When you do finish it off, explode into it like you would with a kink. This might help you improve at that sticking point.

Only you know best, but this is just what came to mind. Let me know what you think?

Mike, that sounds like a very good training strategy. Part of the problem is that the entire range of motion with these Edgins is my sticking point, depending on which day of the week it is. :laugh

Join in, Deaner! If nothing else, it will definitely give your training a kick in the butt.

11-9-05

Feeling as if I had "left something on the platform" yesterday, I took another shot of steel today:

-warmed up by struggling and failing to finish off a 90+ degreed Edgin.

-then bent to completion a fresh Edgin over the course of, oh, I'd say about... forever (20 minutes).

And that's a wrap!

Lookin' forward to getting some volume next workout, to build a little endurance. I'll probably do something like Mike recommended.

Eric-

That is some determination. I can honestly say that I have never spent more than a couple of minutes on one piece. I always figure that I just need to get stronger and it will come eventually. I admire the persistence that you put into it :rock .

Maybe I need to suck it up, quit being a $#@%, and get in a fight for a while?! I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike, sometimes the steel seems to freeze up and refuses to budge. But with today's workout, for example, I tried to keep the steel moving through my sticking points, at which point I needed a rest before I could get it going again for about another 1/4" of movement. Single bends like that constitute an entire workout in my book!

But suckin' it up is also helpful! :laugh

I can honestly say that I have never spent more than a couple of minutes on one piece. 

Same here. Always seems the longer I go at something I can't hit within a minute or so the chances of messing up my hands increases, but only when I bend, dunno.

Nice fight though Eric, seems like you have good recovery time when your muscles. I think mine would be better if when I was done I put every grip thing in a box and locked it. Everytime I look at a gripper or nail I gotta try to bend it, even when the hands are messed up. :D

Thanks, Ron. I seem to recover pretty quickly with the bending. But then again I'm not a big volume glutton, so in a way, I'm just spreading out a big workout over the course of a week. I don't want to see you get injured, but I really believe that lengthy brawls with a bolt have helped my progress.

11-9-05

broke (2) 1/4 7" CRS

(2) grade 5 5.5"

(1) grade 8

(1) FBBC 1/4 7" Square

Changed things up a little bit. Hands were hurtin bad today. Also did a bunch of levering and tried to chest crush my #4, didn't happen. It was an off day and I was being a real Sally; oh my wrists hurt :cry , oh the back of my hands hurt :cry , oh my huge va@#$& hurts :cry . I should put full force into it or just not do it at all. I will remember this next time.

Edited by carusom1

11-10

I was gonna start a thread to tell people but I didnt wanna make a big deal and then not get it, but I got a response back from Ironmind about certing the red and a response from the judge to certify it. I figured I'd keep it in here between us until afterwards if I get it. I sent the email out a few days before the race began and I didn't think they'd get back to me as fast but they ended up being pretty prompt.

I put in to cert on the #3 and the red on the same day. I probably should've just done the red but I was so close to / CC closing the #3 frequently when I wrote it that I figure I would have a good shot at doing both. The judge said my nails will arrive to him this Monday and we're gonna set something up for later in the week.

I got the email last night and of course had to run and try to double check that I can do the red, which I only kinked before getting the feeling like my hands cracked, haha. I woke up today a bit disappointed and nervous that I couldnt do it anymore so I had to try again. Warmed up with (2) 60ds and then drilled 2 reds within a few minutes, so I feel much better now lol.

I think there's a definite relationship between poor bending workouts after doing heavy back work earlier in the day because last night was the second time thats happened where I couldnt bend my way out of a paper bag. Also my gripping has been much less since shifting a lot of focus to bending so the #3 cert is gonna be a big accomplishment to hit right now.

I'm gonna try and take a few solid days off with a lot of contrast baths and Motrin IB heal my hands up. I'm feelin the same way as Mike with the back of my hands vibrating painfully all day. Its gonna be hard because everytime I see some gripping / bending thing around me I have to pick it up and try it which only prolongs the healing of my hands :D .

I'm still in the race but just wanna let ya guys know why I'm going at a slower pace and less frequency. Hopefully be on the red list and then make myself a bastard soon, haha

Ron,

Good luck man. I know the feeling. I was killing Reds and then the other day I only managed one and I was a tad bit FREAKED out! I have yet to bend a Red with my IM pads but both times I have attempted I went from work (school) where I did my initial bending session and then tried to hit some Reds at home with the IM pads. My hands were fried and my shoulder is hurting a bit. I am taking some time off, perhaps a week... Then I will try to hit some Reds with my IM pads. Right now they are sitting wrapped tight and ready on a Red on my work bench in the garage. So we will see how this whole thing goes.

Good luck Ron you will hammer it man.

-Sean

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY USMC!!!!!

Ron-

That is great that you are going for both in one day! Good luck, I am sure that you will nail both (no pun). That will be awesome and under the pressure, I am sure that you will preform.

Don't worry about slowing down, which I don't think that you will. I think you are already a step ahead with a 6.5 RED. I have not been consistent at all. Hope to improve on this. Work hard, best of luck!

That's the way to do it, Ron. Afterall, it's no fun certing if it's just a matter of going through the motions. Believe me, the adrenaline rush you're gonna feel will put you in turbo charged overdrive!

Just a quick question for you guys. For some reason when I go for the red I do a short burst to kink it just the slightest bit and then the 2nd time I push into it I move it to 90 degrees plus. Its like those few degrees from straight to wobble I cant drive into the bar as hard as I can without the quick burst. You guys have the same thing?

P.S. - did another red earlier tonight.....pads need to be locked up in a safety deposit box.

Edited by Dude

Ron, I really don't think I've ever experienced what you are describing. Of course I've only managed slight wobbles with difficult bars, but that's different. Are you regripping it with a different hand position on the second burst?

11-11-05

(1) TT broke

(2) 1/4 5.5", 5" Square (PR)

(1) 5/16 6.5" HRS

Due the maniac volume of you three, I have increased my bending from one day a week to three! And I am paying for it now. Tried to do a bunch of scroll work with TTs, didn't turn out so good. Attempted to make tender love to a bunch of 5/16 pieces, they didn't want anything to do with me :cry . The square stock toke forever and was just plain tough (had to do it DO, hands don't fit well with small pieces going DU). Entire bending workout was about 2.5 hrs, and only completed three bends total :upsidedwn:whacked

Ron-

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about, when I watched your video, it looked like your intial kink goes pretty far. I think I do know what you mean about regripping though.

Edited by carusom1

You'll be stronger as a result of today's battle. No doubt. I'm trying very hard to reduce the number of bending urges I give in to every week. We'll see how it goes.

And congrats on what I'm sure was a very painful PR!

11-13-05

I really hate having to report tonight's lackluster submission to temptation, but this is a workout log.

-took an Edgin to just past ninety

-took an Edgin already bent to just past ninety to a little more than just past ninety :tongue

Well, I'm growing tired of treading water with these things, so now I REALLY look forward to some sort of volume with lesser stock. I know all too well this feeling of staleness from my years of powerlifting.

Eric-

How long did it take to get it past ninety? Are you picking up speed? I know you already know this but if you are feeling stagnant, change something up. Try something totally diffierent and crazy. Have you ever attempted a 5/16 Square? Are you still levering?

I am pulling for you on this, get strong and kill that thing!!

Eric,

Cut the head off one of the Edgins. Trust me, just do it.

-Sean

I just got a 6.5" red with leather, am I ok to join yer little race? It did take me a while, got it past 90 real quik but had to take a break after being stuck 3.5" from closed, took a minute or so break then finished last 1.5 inch to get it to just at 2". That seemed a lot harder to finish than a 7" red.

Nice deaner, glad to see that your in! I need to get my butt in gear to catch up to guys.

Ron- any update to when you will be certifying?