• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• EricMilfeld

• burner

• Dude

Top Posters In This Topic

Take care of it Sean, that is right where I blew my disc and pinched the nerve. I didn't take care of it for years because I thought it was a hip issue due to the excruciating ice pick digging pain in my hip joint. It's doing alot better now that I know how to take care of it. My L5/S1 ruptured and completly dehydrated. Now its the little chucks of blown disc that get me every once in a while. They get between the sciatic and the wall of the spinal canal and then the nerve swells up and pinch. OUCH. Don't let yours get that far. It SuckS!

Good luck,

Aaron

I'm very sorry to hear this, Sean. I've said a prayer for you, and suspect you'll be back in no time doing all sorts of crazy feats of strength!

I've made a decision. It's time to get back into this race, for real. In fact, I've informed my jiu jitsu instructor that I'll no longer being taking classes. This was a very tough decision, but I want to get serious about my true love - strength.

12-05-2006

- 5/16 x 6" grade 2

- 6.25" hex bar

I felt a little rusty, but I'm happy with this being a good start.

Euro Pinch

- 113 x 1 x 3

- 164 x 1 x 3

- 175 x 1 x 3

I was happy with the pinching also, as my right thumb has still not made a 100% recovery from the jiu jitsu induced injury.

My goal is a 6" Edgin, and a 210 pound competition pinch on the Euro apparatus.

Sorry about your accident Sean, I am sure you will heal up very quickly (Like the rest of the young Bucks) :D

Good to see you in the game Eric!!! I'd race you to 600 Deadlift but I pretty much crawl. Got a year or 2?

Sorry about your accident Sean, I am sure you will heal up very quickly (Like the rest of the young Bucks) :D

Good to see you in the game Eric!!! I'd race you to 600 Deadlift but I pretty much crawl. Got a year or 2?

Mike, go check out the "contests" section in a few minutes. By the way, I'm aiming for a pull in the high 600s as a 220 pounder. :)

I've made a decision. It's time to get back into this race, for real. In fact, I've informed my jiu jitsu instructor that I'll no longer being taking classes. This was a very tough decision, but I want to get serious about my true love - strength.

12-05-2006

- 5/16 x 6" grade 2

- 6.25" hex bar

I felt a little rusty, but I'm happy with this being a good start.

Euro Pinch

- 113 x 1 x 3

- 164 x 1 x 3

- 175 x 1 x 3

I was happy with the pinching also, as my right thumb has still not made a 100% recovery from the jiu jitsu induced injury.

My goal is a 6" Edgin, and a 210 pound competition pinch on the Euro apparatus.

oh boy....there goes the neighborhood! :cry

Great news Eric.

Go and melt some steel!!!

Very sorry to hear about the bad injury Sean! Get well soon man. You'll kick that Insane Bastard's ass soon.

Eric, great news to hear you're in the race again! :rock Like Burner said, there goes the neighborhood! :cool

Yesterday's bending high points for me were a 6" Edgin to 52 degrees in 30 seconds and a 5.5" Edgin to 32 degrees in 40 seconds. 6" seems to be about my sweep spot for length these days. I will ramp up my strength and see if I can get my crushdown to come along for the ride. Then I'd be smoking some big steel.

We are working with Edgins nowadays? :whacked

Something is going really wrong here! :tongue

Thanks for all the words of encouragement fellas. i will be back on track soon enough, I WILL not let myself be laid up for too long. I WILL come back stronger. So look out guys! And keep up all the great work while I am recuping.

-Sean

I had intended to do some double overhand today, but my shoulder area isn't feeling up to par, due to too much too soon last workout. But I have decided to start training reverse grip again, for the first time in a couple of years.

Very sorry to hear about the bad injury Sean! Get well soon man. You'll kick that Insane Bastard's ass soon.

Eric, great news to hear you're in the race again! :rock Like Burner said, there goes the neighborhood! :cool

Yesterday's bending high points for me were a 6" Edgin to 52 degrees in 30 seconds and a 5.5" Edgin to 32 degrees in 40 seconds. 6" seems to be about my sweep spot for length these days. I will ramp up my strength and see if I can get my crushdown to come along for the ride. Then I'd be smoking some big steel.

:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink

Thanks Burner. :D But I don't think any of my bends compare to kinking the 5/16"X7" Grade 8!

On the 7th I bought some new HRS, the National brand from the hardware store. A tiny bit easier than the Steel Works stuff I had bought before that.

Bent 3/8"X7" and 6" to less than 90 degrees. Pretty hard stuff and it froze the first time I let up on it. Which was the usual @ 90 degrees.

Yesterday I attempted the 11/32"X7 and 3/16" Drill Rod that TimT sent me. Thanks again Tim for the great steel! It was very tough but I was happy just to get it kinked a bit.

Got it to 90 degrees in 15 seconds just like pretty much everything else I fail on lately. Then got it a tiny bit under 90 degrees but it froze there permanently. I kept hitting it for about 3 minutes total. No movement. But like I said, I was glad to get it going in the first place. Not too bad on the kink really. Think sometime this week I'll try a Red Nail taped to a 1/4"X7" CRS since I don't have an actual Yellow Nail. That should be fun times.

Ben

Is that the 1085 oil hardened drill rod at 9mms thick.

If so i got a 7"piece of maxwell that was sent to him yesterday it shure is tough steel.The crush is similar to stainless.

Ben

Is that the 1085 oil hardened drill rod at 9mms thick.

If so i got a 7"piece of maxwell that was sent to him yesterday it shure is tough steel.The crush is similar to stainless.

I think that's exactly what it is Gazza. You're right, it did feel very similar to the stainless on the crushdown to me. Not that I got very far into the crushdown... :whistel

Do you do upper body work besides bending Ben?

12-12-2006

It felt as if the nagging little pain in my right collar bone area was gone today, so I tried a little double overhand. But after a Bastard and a 5.5" square it reappeared. I'll give it another week or two before I start hitting the DO hard again. In the meantime I can enjoy reverse grip with no pain.

Euro Pinch

164x1

175x1

180x1x2

165x3

12-12-2006

It felt as if the nagging little pain in my right collar bone area was gone today, so I tried a little double overhand. But after a Bastard and a 5.5" square it reappeared. I'll give it another week or two before I start hitting the DO hard again. In the meantime I can enjoy reverse grip with no pain.

Euro Pinch

164x1

175x1

180x1x2

165x3

Hey Eric, I'm sure you don't need any rehab advice but I was compelled to throw a tid bit at you. For years, mostly because of speed benching I always had this tightness in the collar bone, upper pec area. Now I won't take credit for this but I don't remember where I heard it. Sometimes there can be an imbalance between the upper back (strong) and the upper pec (weak). Holding a static pushup in the top position can help stretch this problem out as well as push ups in general.. Push ups alone have helped me overcome many pec tears early on in my training career. But the real beauty is in the prevent measures, remeber the pec , traps do not have much of an an anchor on the collar bone and the pain is telling you about the stress..........

hope this helps you stay healthy.....

ps...this mght have come from the Diesel Crew??

Edited by burner

Burner, actually I really appreciate the help. What you're saying makes good sense. Up until last week I was doing a lot of pushups, but I really don't get any direct work on the upper pecs. I don't have access to an incline, but I think standing presses with an arch in my back might prove helpful. Of course, easing back into DO wouldn't hurt either. But I've always had trouble easing into any type of workout.

Do you do upper body work besides bending Ben?

Yes. I've started benching again. For some months before the BBB2 all I was doing was bodyweight dips...and still managed to finally crushdown the Mag. So that might be what I eventually go back to, but I am still giving the benching a shot again in the hope that it will revive my festering crushdown.

Just to update you guys. I finally went to the doctor and had an MRI of my low back because after three weeks I could not take the pain anymore. Pussy, I know but I just could not move it out of my mind anymore and it was too distracting to teach and try to block the pain out, I am sure you understand.

The MRI showed a nice little 12mm herniation in the L5 S1 disc that was pressing on the Sciatic nerve root and causing what can be described as a hot knife down my left leg amost all day with loss of feeling in the ball of my foot. I am on the road to recovery but they are telling me I can not do anything right now and frankly the doc was surprised I had gone this long just walking around on it, there must be some big pussies out there. Not really though this thing hurts pretty bad. Bad enough I remember laughing outloud in bed the other night because I really could not bring myself to cry about something I could not really see any physical sign off like a severed limb or broken arm with the bone sticking out so I just laid there in the fetaql position spasaming into the erect position of nerve rigamortise and laughed, probably funnier to watch than go through but funny just the same.

You guys are tearing it up and I am jealous and John just sent me five Insane bastards and they are just mocking my pathetic ass, but I digress. Keep it up guys I will be back soon.

-Sean

Sean you have almost exactly what I have in my back, except I have a few fractures and a few more herniated discs. Still I now exactly what you're talking about. I've been going through all the different methods fro rehab and have yet to find a way to remedy it. However I've read a half dozen studies lately given to me by a friend about chiro rehab that has fixed something like 90% of cases like mine and yours. I don't have health insurance at the moment but once I'm in school its first on my list to do. Sorry to hear about it man, mine still hurts as I sit in my chair and type this (3+ years later).

If you can lemme know the exact findings from your MRI, I'd like to see how similar they are to mine. If so I could go ahead and tell you my success with the different rehab methods. Some were crap and some helped a lot.

Good to see everyone is still alive on here and still bending some steel :)

More progress with the hard steel.

Warmed up with a 5/16"X5.5" CRS.

Then a Huge Shiny Bastard to 90 degrees in 40 seconds. Stalled pretty much right there.

Magnificent Hexabastard to 69 degrees at the 5 minute mark. Actually got it to 65 degrees in 15 seconds.

Insane Bastard to 77 degrees at the 5 minute mark. Kinked it to 45 degrees in 20 seconds though. The rest was sheer agony moving it. Was already at 73 degrees at the 1 minute mark. Hell, getting this thing past 10 degrees is a big improvement for me so I wasn't complaining about not being able to finish it off.

Grand Hexabastard. Did it in 3 stages. Got it to 90 degrees in 10 seconds. Then lost all my steam from that point on. At the 5 minute mark it was still only at 97 degrees. But I wouldn't let it get away from me so easy.

Rested about 15 minutes and then hit it again. Got it to 2 and 3/4" wihin a minute in the double pads.

Then after another 5 minute rest worked on it again. Took 2 minutes but I got it to 2". Took it out of the

double pads at the 2 and 5/8" mark and used my Crush Pads.

Slowly but surely making progress. :rock