Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

At the after comp party he kinked a Red reverse at head level (!) to 30-45°!!!! Never seen or heard of that before.

Well done Steve.

Sounds like a very strong show by Steve.

Regarding the red kink, it has been done before by Jedd (who also completed the bend).

Hmm, I've seen a vid with Jedd bending a Red Old Terminator style.

That was not what I meant.

With 'head-level' I meant that he is pulling the bar away from his body requiring fixing the bar using his extensors compared to the more classical reverse style of pushing it towards the body when you fix it using your wrist (ulnar) flexors.

Head-Level was probably the wrong expression herefor.

A little more in-depth of a report before I get some lunch into me.

Friday

Up at the crack of dawn having slept only in dribs and drabs - as per before an event and I left early and had an hour to kill on arrival at Euston. So plenty of time to grab some food and get something to read. No problems, which was nice, on the train.

On arrival the hotel was locked up tight and so I popped around to David's and chewed the fat with the gang for a little while before making my way back with Gary 'Gazza' Hunt who let me stash my gear in his room. Back to the house for another fat chewing session. We took Big Steve to a good 'chippy' where the owner looked a little startled at these rather large gents saying 'you are either very hungry or I owe someone money'. A bit to eat at David's and then back again to the hotel to book in and get the stuff unpacked.

Off in the evening we had 14 in all go to the big steak dinner where they do a 2 for one deal. Thanks goodness for that as it was £150 or thereabouts before the discount kicked in. I had a very nice Mixed Grill and would have cleaned me plate except, as per, I spent half the time talking.

At the end of the evening, Gazza, his mate Mike, Frankyboy and myself had a few pints and tried to teach young Mike the techniques needed to do some half decent bar bending. I tell you if effort has any meaning then the boy put out big style. If he keeps at it he'll get real good.

With the 3 or 4 beers I was able to sleep straight away only to be woken at 2.30am by someone who apparently struggles with doors - noisy gits.

Saturday

A couple more hours and I was up at 5.30am. A good breakfast and then we all made our way over the Dave's place to help load up all the equipment.

With the guys seeming to know where they were going it didn't take too long and everyone got their hands dirty helping to set up. The hall included a kicthen and so coffee and tea was soon on the go and went down real well. Mike 'Cougarman' Betty arrived as did Yorkie and Janet & Co from Mick Hart's site to cheer me on and we soon had a nice little crowd.

Kick off.

Then it was time to get it on. On the two hand pinch I would have liked a tighter set up and more chalk down the face that you hold. My own set up is tighter but the chalk sits in the same spot as on this one. As has happened many times at comps I have had a go at I seemed to struggle on the 2nd and 3rd attempts only to nail it good on the fourth - so much so you wish you had another chance to get a bigger number. As it was I out done my old comp PB of 83-kilos nailing a solid 84.5-kilos.

Next up was v-bar and having done my last grip training of any description on Monday I was wondering if this was as long as I needed or was it too long? Again, a la the fourth attempt on the pinch both 4th attempts left hand and right felt like I had something left to pull with. I made a mistake on my third right hand effort thinking I had pulled 149 only for it to be 140-141. So I took a gamble and asked for 160-kilos and nailed, as it turned out, a little more. For a mere minute or two I was 'the daddy' with a best of all time World Record only to be matched by Nick McKinless and then beaten by both David Horne and Jim Wylie. Still the top four ever lifts all in one event... nowt to complain about.

Our third lift was the one hand thumbless deadlift and I had a quick couple of goes on the bar and quickly felt that it wasn't as bad as had been made out in terms of spinning etc etc. If it was 'fast' then fortunately for me the bars I had been using were as fast and so I had a good advantage. This was proved by my winning the two hand total and pulling an reasonable and just .8-kilos more than training at 110.8-kilos left hand. On the right I could have gone heavier than the equalled winning (by David) 116-kilos indicated having had 2 goes at 126-kilos but being failed as the bar was rocking back and forth and I wasn't able to get both ends above the knee.

As has happened before fatigue starts to kick in and the adjusting of the pinch had eaten quite badly into the time. I found the double strapping down - forearm and bicep - made the lever sledge super strict. Add to that that my upper back was getting tiny little twinges and I did only ok with numbers equal to about 75% of my best training poundages. The hoped for numbers will have to go in on another day.

Two local newspaper photographers took some shots and we also had a student taking photos for a project. Some of the lads from various BB and WL sites arrived late and so the hall filled up a little more. We were drinking well and eating snacks. Big Steve, saying he knew he couldn't win at the second or thrird event point, then started entertaining the crowd with some great inspirational words for the kids as per his school displays. Included were packs of cards in his teeth being torn one handed, a frying pan rolled and pushed through a wrist watch and a horseshoe bent into a heart shape. This was as well as competing.

Having been third pretty much from the 1st, second and even the third event I was now 4th and like Steve had too much ground to make up. Steve having leap frogged in front of me into the 3rd place spot it was time for grippers. Being tired then and still a little frazzled now I can't remember if I did a easier gripper first (possibly a 2) before caning - I mean caning - a BBE with a 10 second hold. I tried a BBSE and got a close but not even close to more than a second. Having done a beastly right hand effort it was more than disappointing to be let down by my so-so effort with a BBSM (rated at 2.25). I tried twice to get a good set and close but it was not to be. Having known it was 4th no matter what I did I had a couple of goes at Jim W's 'easy' CoC 4 and managed 4mm first time and 2mm from closing 2nd. The crowd seemed to enjoy that and so that was me done.

Time being late we quickly packed away all our equipment and tidied up. I even 'made like mum' and swept up the stage while helping fill the cars up and shooting back to David's. It seemed to take no time at all, compared to the morning, to get everything unloaded and we then shot back to the resturant we'd eaten at the night before just before they stopped serving to eat yet another proper dinner.

Back again to the hotel where a small crowd, including yours truly, enjoyed many a pint until 1am then my room - briefly to collect Mike's beer - then Gazza's room where Nick filmed yet more video to add to the interviews, competition lifting etc etc and to try and finish the 20 or so bottles of bud until 2am. Then Big Steve needed to rest so another hour with the last bar one or two bottles until 3am.

Sunday

Certain beer drinking light weights (Gazza and Mike) asked me to 'make sure you're downstairs at 8am for breakfast'. I was - they weren't anywhere to be seen and so I enjoyed a light starter with Frankboy and his better half before waking up the lads at just before 11am. Steve, who doesn't drink, looked rested where as poor Gazza and Mike looked like we might need to get them to ER ha ha.

Once they had arisen from their graves they joined me over at David's again where the 45-pound high hub plate and other goodies made their appearence. Plenty of bragging, BS and good natured ribbingv along with plenty more photo and video ops took place and by the end of the morning we were joined by Marc Wylie and his daughter as well as Jim Wylie who had just finished work. Prize bags having been handed out on arrival (thanks to all the sponsors) and time beginning to get on Jim gave myself, Gazza and Mike a lift to the stattion where I grabbed a waiting London bound but packed train home.

All in all a very enjoyable and as per tiring weekend. I said it several times before, during and after - I did my best and got beat. Some of what I was beaten on I no one had ever done before. On other lifts I was shot and on others I did real well. To lose then is no shame - not when the standard was so high. No one did less than equalling PB's and many did close to or better than world records. 4th place in that company? Not a problem.

Steve

You said it right,4th in that lineup,hell last in that lineup is huge :bow

You did yourself and the sport proud matey and it was great hangin with ya.

• 1 month later...

I'm training thick handled dumbbell once a week hoping that the February 25th meet takes place (I will be nagging all in the new year). So today (a day early due to xmas gym closures etc meaning no workout yesterday and none again until Friday (grippers tomorrow a.m. mind).

Tuesday

In spite of an awful nights sleep. I managed to get a session done. The usual faffing about getting the 'bell tight.

Thick handled dumbbell

90-kilos ++ (206lbs approx)

L/H: 1, 0, 1 (tilted), 1 (just and also tilted so bell tightened and then...) 2 :D

R/H: 1, 1, 1, 3 reps :D

Friday

Warm up and stretch

Did shoulders and arms and then...

R/Thunder (wt is plates only)

E/H: 60-kilos x 3 reps, 80-kilos x 3 reps

L/H: 90-kilos x 3 reps

R/H: 100-kilos x 3 reps, 117.5-kilos x 1, x 0 reps. 115-kilos x 0 so stopped and had drink.

What are the maximum weights You're aiming for in the one handed deadlift with a thickhandled dumbell (for the meeting in February)?

Do You train with 2 3/8 inch handles or 2,5 inch or more?

What are the maximum weights You're aiming for in the one handed deadlift with a thickhandled dumbell (for the meeting in February)?

Do You train with 2 3/8 inch handles or 2,5 inch or more?

I am aiming for the Millennium but if I can match my old 300.1 lbs that's enough. I only have one thick handle - a 2.5-inch one.

What's it weigh? I ask not cos I don't want it - I'd love it - but cos I have no olympic weights here and would have to hump it to and from the gym. That said I lifted the Inch without such a handle... :whistel

7.5k with collars.

Steve

Better still if ya like i will see if one of the lads will give me a lift down to yours with the Inch foryou 2 use for a while.

I may even buy some biscuits!

Steve

Will bring it 2 yours this Tuesday mate.

just pm me your adress and any directions you think might help,mobile and telephone numbers etc.

See ya Tuesday bro.

Sunday

Grippers

Monday

A.M. Grippers

worked to

L/H: HG300 x 8 x 1 (of which 5 nigh on and 3 on the nail)

R/H: BBE x 8 x 1 (of which 4 nigh on and 4 on the nail)

P.M. Thick handled dumbbell

95-kilos (217.5lbs) T = tilted

L/H: 0, 0, 1T, 1T, 1T, 1T (first 2 not tilted)

R/H: 1, 1, 1, 2T, 2 :D

Sunday

Grippers

Monday

A.M. Grippers

worked to

good job on elite and thick handled dumbell :)

Sunday

Grippers

Monday

A.M. Grippers

worked to

What does "nigh on" and "on the nail" mean?