Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

I'm sure you're right - which doesn't help but I'll growl anyway grrr As for the rest - cheers :D

Thursday

Training like a maniac today :twisted:

My hands look rough - like a fine cheesegrater has been run over them.

Two hand pinch

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 4 reps, 45-kilos x 2 x 1 rep, 50-kilo x 1 rep, 52.5-kilos x att - I then took out some of the inserts and played around with width until I had three thick and 1 thin insert (with bar and collars it weighed 46.6 lbs) and did 60-kilos x 1 rep (total weight is 178.6lbs or 81-kilos) and an attempt at 62.5-kilos

V bar

55-kilos x 4 reps e/h, 115-kilos x 2 x 1 rep (poor) l/h and 135-kilos x 1 r/h and then started pulling plates of and banging out reps like a nutter.

When I cam downstairs I'd 'moved' the light fitting (easy to fix) underneath where I was training ha ha

Had a bunch of stuff to catch up on business wise and must finish of.

What a frigging day! :whacked Given that I was sacked just a few short weeks ago (2 or 3) I've been working like a nutter. More calls than ever before (now that I am in to take them ha ha), changing the website, post office, bank (deposits), chasing prices on materials etc etc etc and training for a competition all at the same time.

Add to that fixing the light fitting 'wot' I broke in my enthusiasm during training yesterday and never seeming to have a moment to eat (I had breakfast at 8am and then my next meal was 5pm!!). Plus all the usual stuff one has to do (wot, wot).

I managed to do some grip work with the grippers after my 3rd cup of 'I'm about to train but got distracted' coffee having failed to complete the bend on a 235-kilo bar. Got the 4 down to 2mm assisted right handed.

On the plus side the company we're working with on the flavoured came through with our big combined deal today - finally. Now we just need to see the pots and write a cheque out for £6000+ :blink and we're away.

Now I know what Mick Hart feels like. August 8th my birthday, 13th at Micks (maybe), 14th start selling new flavoured whey (if on shelves at our unit) 19th-22nd Sweden, 27th Tonbridge and then (maybe) September USA/GGC. :erm

Thanks Geo, as usual it seems my first big effort is the one that gets me closest. As before it's what I called 'assisted' and so isn't a freehand near close but etc etc.

Business good today as it is most weekends which means although the normal day to day stuff is quiet or at least relaxed I keep busy. I awoke today and it looked like I had 350 emails :ohmy But it turns out I had a virus and so from the mass email yesterday announcing the new prices (noticed a twitch on another site :P ) etc I had had 350 bounce on me. :(

Saturday

Lunch time: Did some extra pinch work this am - the base of my left thumb has that cheese grater look again. I couldn't do 80+ kilos for some reason and so did a bunch of work with other weights finishing with 60-kilos (added a thin insert so about 47lbs+ apparatus plus 88lbs in weights = 135lbs) picked up and onto my bench again and again until I was proper shagged out.

Evening:

Seated press

10-kilos a side x 8 reps, 20-kilos a side x 6 reps and 33.5-kilos a side x 5 reps

EZ Curls

10-kilos a side x 8 reps, 17.5 -kilos a side x 6 reps, 25-kilos a side x 6 easy reps - first 2 sets reverse

CG Bench Press

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 35-kilos a side x 6 reps (set 1 and 2 thumbless - cos of the sore skin) and then 55-kilos (misload) a side x 4 slow but solid reps - so a good misload.

Back aching. As much from the not quite yet healed injury as from the extra heavy work I'm putting it under non-stop in readiness for the Euro comp.

Thanks Geo, as usual it seems my first big effort is the one that gets me closest. As before it's what I called 'assisted' and so isn't a freehand near close but etc etc.

Business good today as it is most weekends which means although the normal day to day stuff is quiet or at least relaxed I keep busy. I awoke today and it looked like I had 350 emails  :ohmy  But it turns out I had a virus and so from the mass email yesterday announcing the new prices (noticed a twitch on another site :P ) etc I had had 350 bounce on me.  :(

Saturday

Lunch time: Did some extra pinch work this am - the base of my left thumb has that cheese grater look again. I couldn't do 80+ kilos for some reason and so did a bunch of work with other weights finishing with 60-kilos (added a thin insert so about 47lbs+ apparatus plus 88lbs in weights = 135lbs) picked up and onto my bench again and again until I was proper shagged out.

Evening:

Seated press

10-kilos a side x 8 reps, 20-kilos a side x 6 reps and 33.5-kilos a side x 5 reps

EZ Curls

10-kilos a side x 8 reps, 17.5 -kilos a side x 6 reps, 25-kilos a side x 6 easy reps - first 2 sets reverse

CG Bench Press

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 35-kilos a side x 6 reps (set 1 and 2 thumbless - cos of the sore skin) and then 55-kilos (misload) a side x 4 slow but solid reps - so a good misload.

Back aching. As much from the not quite yet healed injury as from the extra heavy work I'm putting it under non-stop in readiness for the Euro comp.

keep going, and keep moving that #4 down buddy :rock

Cheers

Monday

Grippers

Same on 4 as last time and some work with the 3 for the left.

I normally warm up with a CoC 1 x 6 reps, then move on to a HG300 x 3-4 at the mo, then a CoC 3 x 2-3 with my right then 2-4 assited reps with a 4. With my left it's the same start for the first two sets then assisted work with a 3 and then I drop back down to the HG 300.

2.5-inch thick handled dumbbell deadlift

40-kilos+ x 6-8 reps each hand

LH: 82.5-kilos+ x 4 x 1 reps

RH: 100-kilos+ x 4 x 1 reps

Just back from the gym - Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed as usual after a Tuesday workout.

Tuesday

Partial deadlifts

0 x 6 reps, 3p a side x 4 reps, 5p a side x 4 reps, 9p a side x 2 x 1 rep, 10p a side x 1 (just) rep, 9 + 15k p a side x 1 (again barely). Skin tear smaller than before but still torn just the same :(

Bench machine (inc)

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 30-kilos a side x 6 reps and 47.5-kilos a side c 5 reps

Lo-row

40-kilos a side x 8 reps and 102.5-kilos a side x 5 reps

Hi-row

20-kilos a side x 8 reps and 61.25-kilos a side x 6 reps - hand started bleeding at this point.

Uptown yesterday and back up again within the hour sorting out this passport biznez

Thursday

Two hand pinch

awful workout. I have no idea WTF happened or how but it was all over the place.

V-Bar

a little better and I was able to work to 115-kilos+ x 4 reps l/h and 132.5-kilo+ right hand (about 300lbs) also for 4 x 1.

Not one of my better workouts.

Hey Mob, could you tell me what you mean by partial deadlifts? And if there are variations of it and why you choose to do them, especially as compared to regular deadlifts?

I've been hearing of sumo and regular deadlifts, but also of Romanian deadlifts and I think, like, Bulgarian and other deadlifts too, and I only have an idea of the benefits and definitions of the first two. I'm getting into deadlifting and would like to know what some of these varieties are and why I might wish to cycle some varieties in and out of my work-outs, or just prefer one for the majority of my work-outs.

Right now I'm using Jumpstretch bands to deadlift with -- no bar or weights and all, just grabbing a few strands in my hands -- and finding it surprisingly workable and an extremely good work-out. Because of the particular length of the bands, I'm finding a sumo style works best for me now. But you can do all kinds of funky things with bands to change range of motion, difficulty, etc., so I wouldn't mind some variations.

Hey Mob, could you tell me what you mean by partial deadlifts?  And if there are variations of it and why you choose to do them, especially as compared to regular deadlifts?

I've been hearing of sumo and regular deadlifts, but also of Romanian deadlifts and I think, like, Bulgarian and other deadlifts too, and I only have an idea of the benefits and definitions of the first two.  I'm getting into deadlifting and would like to know what some of these varieties are and why I might wish to cycle some varieties in and out of my work-outs, or just prefer one for the majority of my work-outs.

Right now I'm using Jumpstretch bands to deadlift with -- no bar or weights and all, just grabbing a few strands in my hands -- and finding it surprisingly workable and an extremely good work-out.  Because of the particular length of the bands, I'm finding a sumo style works best for me now.  But you can do all kinds of funky things with bands to change range of motion, difficulty, etc., so I wouldn't mind some variations.

here's a good article that can help tremendously on your deadlift.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/deadlift101.pdf

If you read my log I've answered twice in the last week or so alone what I mean by partials. I am not a powerlifter and what I am capable of doing for what is effectively a means of testing my grip has no bearing on back and or leg strength. There is some cross-over, naturally, but that isn't why I do the lift. A 900lbs+ partial isn't needed to do one handed thick handled dumbbell deads with 250-300lbs or any of the other movements I do - just good core strength of a slightly above average level.

However, doing partials may not be the help for full range deadlifts you'd hope for.

What can happen is that instead of working a weak point using the exact same style one would for a full range from the floor lift trainees tend to put themselves in to the position where, like me, the most weight can be lifted. Thus their partial deadlift weights go up in leaps and bounds but their full range only, at best, a little.

If you are looking to work a weak point work it using the same groove as the actual lift you're looking to improve on.

I'm using the half rack and when I start with the lighter weights I'm guessing the range of movement is about 6 inches.  For me that's about 8-inches below my hips. By the time proper weight is loaded so the bar starts to bend (the bar I sold them he he - it's a 700-kilo rated Bodypower bar) I need to use a rubber mat (about a 1/2 inch thick) to keep some range of motion. At 9 plates a side plus (380 kilos and over) the range drops down to 3-4 inches as it also pulls down the shoulders. By keeping my back almost 100% straight it becomes only a thigh and grip lift - as it's intended to be.

I'll be looking into the sale of my house and move to Gloucester very soon. One of our ideas to is to move into a larger unit and use some of that space for training and the rest for protein.

I'm using the half rack and when I start with the lighter weights I'm guessing the range of movement is about 6 inches.  For me that's about 8-inches below my hips. By the time proper weight is loaded so the bar starts to bend (the bar I sold them he he - it's a 700-kilo rated Bodypower bar) I need to use a rubber mat (about a 1/2 inch thick) to keep some range of motion. At 9 plates a side plus (380 kilos and over) the range drops down to 3-4 inches as it also pulls down the shoulders. By keeping my back almost 100% straight it becomes only a thigh and grip lift - as it's intended to be.

I was asked last week. That said today someone else was using the half rack and so I used the power rack. The design for both means that I have to keep checking the pins are all the way in after each set. I think the pins were sleightyly higher today and remembered looking in the mirror at what seemed like a 2-inch movement (with the bending of the bar). I'll go back to the half rack (if I can) for the next 4 or so weeks. That way I'll get the range.

What was happening today is that I finally got to where weakness shows and so my left hand was opening up which allowed the bar to drag on the skin.

Here are two of the more recent partial deadlift posts and replies.

Heh I admit I unapologetically haven't followed your entire log. There are too many people's logs to ever do that with even if one wanted to, and I don't. And we have a very different definition of what a week is. Thank you for your reply, however.

Ahh slightly better ;) . Up to between 5-7 plates a side I try all combinations of grip alternating between each rep. On 8,9 and 10 plates a side I stick to what feels the most natural for me. Left hand knuckles forward and right hand palm forward.

Much better today. I am testing some CEE to see if it's any cop.

Friday

Grippers

good - but I need to trim some skin off

C/Bars

222.5-kilos x 1 easy, 230-kilos x 1 easy and 235-kilos - couldn't finish it.

Sorting out pension and also ads in others mags (not bodybuilding/muscle mags)

Much better today. I am testing some CEE to see if it's any cop.

Friday

Grippers

good - but I need to trim some skin off

C/Bars

222.5-kilos x 1 easy, 230-kilos x 1 easy and 235-kilos - couldn't finish it.

Sorting out pension and also ads in others mags (not bodybuilding/muscle mags)

Steve, what is CEE?

Nearing the end now. There's not much that doesn't hurt and I deffo need to get the back massaged but I am coming on strong so...

Saturday

Seated press

to 33.5 kilos a side x 4 easy

EZ Curls

to 25-kilos a side x 4 easy

CG Bench

to (wrong amount last week it was 50-kilos a side after all) 55-kilos x 2 x 1 reps

Monday

Must book an appointment sometime soon. Also, just after breakfast, I weighed myself at 260lbs on the nose. I haven't been that heavy for an age and a half. It's either the 16oz of meat I ate when treating my brother and his better half to Sunday dinner yesterday or the CEE working.

Thick handled dumbbell.

Usual pissing about getting it just so then...

LH: 85 kilos x att, x 1, x 1, 1 x att, xatt

RH: 110-kilos / 250lbs approx (couldn't get 105 on) x 3 x 1 plus 1 att.

Grippers (in a few minutes).

Mob,

Hey buddy why do grippers after the thick bar work? I would think doing grippers before would warm you up nicely for the thick bar work both could be trained at high level.

Austin