Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Steve, I've done nothing over the last two weeks due to one thing and another so don't worry.  My cheques also still gotta get to Andy so I might not be in it all!

Take it easy and see you in a few weeks.

Cheque received Jim, you're definitely in... :D

Reminds me of when someone (Jedd I think) asked you for a tip on v-bar lifting, when you indicated that you thought that you had figured out some of Johan Albrektsson's secrets.

Ask Jedd if I PM'd him... Plus of course in my log I asked no one. Feel free to start a log with whatever turns you on. Fill it with statements. I'll visit from time to time and ramble on. Even this post of your helps not at all.

Steve, I've done nothing over the last two weeks due to one thing and another so don't worry.  My cheques also still gotta get to Andy so I might not be in it all!

Take it easy and see you in a few weeks.

Cheque received Jim, you're definitely in... :D

By the 23rd?? ;)

With only you and me in the pro class - no. :blush I'm getting a trophy just for turning up :)

I haven't decided yet - if you've booked a room etc PM and I'll book one myself at the same place.

He sent me some names and numbers ages back. Email me and I'll forward them.

Pain is now my permanent companion. Pain, pain and more pain. However, doped up to the eyeballs, I went to Oxford today, arrived late (getting to be a habit) and pulled 20-kilos more than the winner (80-kilos plus the handle weight on a 2 and 5/8ths of an inch handled dumbbell deadlift) but didn't bring home a trophy in the grip challenge

Very bad. I've got 'pins and needles' in my right foot. Numbness in the right side of the right leg hamstring area. Some lower back pain and a shooting pain - sciatica - on that side - which means I'm not completely straightening out the right leg when I walk. I can, however, do a fast hobble :D

Not really. I wonder if it'd be worse without or whether or not I should have kept training. We'll see - it's a week to go now.

I've got myself booked in for some physio Friday am and then home, pick up stuff and off via Victoria and an express coach to Bournemouth for Friday arriving at 2.45 pm. I'm staying at a local B&B Friday night and Saturday night.

Very bad. I've got 'pins and needles' in my right foot. Numbness in the right side of the right leg hamstring area. Some lower back pain and a shooting pain - sciatica - on that side - which means I'm not completely straightening out the right leg when I walk. I can, however, do a fast hobble :D

Try this.

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.2.html

It helped me. I had the same, caused by PL squats and leg presses.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Try this.

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.2.html

It helped me. I had the same, caused by PL squats and leg presses.

I'll try later - thanks

Just back from the weekend and my fridge went on the blink while I was away. Somewhere there's a policy I'll have to dig out and get it fixed or replaced. The chicken and some milk that was in their was rank!!! Phew!! What a stink!

Friday

F'kin trains. I had the physio, as per the doc, nagging me about competing (as you'd expect) but he also seemed resigned to the fact that I was going 'just to watch' ha ha. Anyway I got back in time for a cuppa and then to Sydenham Station and on a train to Victoria. Great - a points failure and me trying to chill but thinking 'I'm gonna be late'. And so it came to pass and I was late. I'm meant to be at the coach terminus at 1200 hrs and 1200 sees me hobbling for England across the station concourse, going to the wrong but and hobbling some more only to arrive just in time to see my coach, slightly delayed, pulling out! ARRGGHH!!

So I shows the lady my e-ticket but it's non-transferable and so I brought another (first one £17.00 return - new one £16.50 single - yep 50p less for one way). One hour and one burger later I'm on the next bus and immediatly we hit a jam as some silly bugger has hit another on the Fulham road and we're delayed by 50 minutes. Total flabbergastenpoopy up time is no one hour and 50-mins. If we'd have been lifting that day my temper would have been enough.

Finally we arrive at Bournemouth and the maps etc are enough to get my to my B&B (nice enough for £25.00 a night) and I pop down to the gym to say hi. 8.00pm finds me asleep in my room at the hotel - BORING!!

Saturday

I woke at 4am and finished off the nosh I'd brought the afternoon before and then later on the 'full english' the B&B laid on for me. Then it was hobbling down the road to the venue (10-minutes walk, 15 minutes with Sciatica). Andy and Chris had set up some of the gear and included a display stand with the names / logos of the sponsors. One of the first to arrive shortly after me was John Gallagher and it didn't take much persuading on my part and we had him telling us a ton of stories. As he did so more and more turned up and it was soon time to weigh in. I think I may have been first up and was 117 kilos / 257.93 lbs in my lifting gear.

Grippers

Whose the daddy?? I'm the daddy ha ha. Andy has me doing L=2.46 R=3.65 Total=6.11. I just missed a 2.96 with my left (basically a CoC 3 left handed) with Jim managing (he was next closest) L=2.46 R=3.29 T=5.75. In a previous IG comp I'd been .01 behind David Horne and here I was .36 ahead. In the grippers this is, I believe, a substantial margin.

Two hand pinch

1) Jim Wylie 85 2) Steve Gardener 81. I had been doing 81-kilos and change for sets of 3 x 1 in training 6 weeks before the event. I had planned on hit 91-kilos for 3 x 1 pre-event with a possible 100-105-kilos on the day. This was also the most likely 'make or break' event that would have tipped thre points in my favor. As it was we were now neck and neck with one win each.

Vertical bar

Jim has mentioned elsewhere on the gripboard that the bar wasn't seasoned (ie: encrusted with chalk where it's gripped) and so a combination of the injury and smooth bar meant I missed again on this one. I had managed a 155-kilo effort in training just after the injury and so it was hard to swallow Jims L=140 R=160 T=301.5 and my L=132.5 =130 T=264. Never the less I had it in mind that if I could have improved Jim would to and he'd have still won (I was hoping for 140 left and 155-160 right which is what Jim did). Again the extra points for the extra weight here would have helped.

1-Hand Lift

My one hand lift was way down. In the European I managed 225-kilos L and 240-kilos R and had been doing singles (2 x 1 L and 3 x 1 R on my best session) with 235-kilos the week before the injury. However, as can be seen, even if I had equalled my PB Jim's L=232.5-kilos R=240-kilos T=475.23 would have meant a win but the extra points (as above) would have carried me further. As it was I managed L=220-kilos and R=220kilos T=442.73 This was also the only movement where I felt in any danger of pushing my injury with a twinge only on the 2nd and 3rd left hand attempts.

Rolling Thunder (Thumbless)

This was another banker for me. I knew I could win but only as we closed in on the end of the comp did I start looking at the points involved and work out what was needed to win. You can see by what we did do that I won easily with Jim L=90-kilos and R=103-kilos T=194.6-kilos (inc handle weight) and my L=100-kilos and R=110-kilos T=211.6-kilos. I had 1 attempt left with each hand and Jim had done his lot and was sitting down. So I chat with Andy and the guy doing the spread sheet and asking them to calculate what was needed. In training I had been doing 107.5-kilos (handle etc excluded) left x 3 x 1 and 117.5-kilos (ditto) x 3 x 1 on my slightly stiffer handle. A 107.5-kilo left, once Jim had done, meant I needed a 130-kilo lift right handed (again handle excluded) and so with a 'what the hell load it up' I popped into the corridor to get myself settled. My daughter said later 'Jim was chewing his fingernails' ha ha and so it was time to have a go. A slight movement before the handle sprang from my grip and I was done.

The crowd gave Jim and I and indeed all the competitors great support and many were having-a-go in between events even if they needed two hands to pull some of the bigger weights. I made sure to shake Jims hand and wish him well - he held it together and kept an eye on the points and so, injury or no, he had fulfilled David Horne's prophecy of 'the guy who can hold it together and wants it the most will win'. I think I may have wanted it more but Jim held it together... Congrats on a new champion :rock

Post event and I gave Jim's double stamped '4' a spin and nigh on had it. He was kind enough to lend it to me and so although I'll be doing no train ing at all bodywise for the next 10 or so days I will give this baby a few crushes or three....

Andy has some Intensefitness 'blobs' and block weights and one of them had to be a good 6-inchs across. I'm not sure if it was 45 or 50 lbs but I managed a one finger and thumb only pull from the floor with either hand and apparantly was the only one there who could do it.

Yes Steve nice report. Well maybe next year, but of course you still have the Euros if you are feeling up for it.

Jim now joins the list of people to have won the British Grip Champs.

Steve Sherwood 1991-1993

David Horne 1994-2004

Jim Wylie 2005

Well done mate!