Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Fancied a change and wanted to see if it hurt the lifts and vice versa. I took about 10 mins between and when I did grippers I did as many singles as I could for 20 minutes. CoC 3 right and HG300 left.

Just back from gym. Damn good workout. I'm not sure if it was being pissed of with one magazine we wanted to advertize with (seemed like having an online rate card and readership figures was too much. Apparantly I MUST ring - they don't like emails etc etc). Sod them and the horse they rode in on.

Instead I had a call from Mens Fitness and have decided to go with them. So we have ads in Flex (2x2), M&F (2x2), MMI (half col), Rugby World (2x2) and now Men's Fitness (1/2 col).

I'm also using the CEE 2-3 x a day and maybe that's helping as well.

Tuesday

Partial Deadlifts

0p a side x 6 reps, 3p a side x 6 reps, 5p a side x 4 reps, 8p a side x 2 x 1 reps, 9p a side x 2 x 1 and 10p a side (954lbs - bar weighs 25-kilos)x 2 x 1 good reps. I kept a small folded piece of tissue in the spot where my hand was tearing and that did the trick. It's sore but there's no blood.

Bench machine

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 35-kilos a side x 6 reps and 50-kilos a side x 4 reps (not inc push-off)

Lo-row

40-kilos a side x 8 reps and 105-kilos a side x 5 reps (more weight than I had in my book - so up again)

Hi-row

30-kilos a side x 8 reps and 62.5-kilos a side x 5 reps

Add International Rugby News to the list. Did a v nice deal with them for a 1/4 page (can't say how good ha ha).

Weighed myself and I'm 261.2lbs and have another meal and a protein drink to go. I haven't gone mad food wise and so the only change has been the CEE... could it be that good or am I a good CEE responder? I'm taking it, as earlier, 2-3 times a day in tea or coffee.

It is, for me, the most I have ever weighed. 18st 9.2lbs.

A copy of Body Fitness arrived today and Darren Sherlock (we helped him go to Athnes to compete) got both a mention and a photo. In the same post was an issue of Muscle & Fitness (September 2005) with a picture of Gemma Taylor (current Britain's Strongest women and on our team) wearing her Whey Consortium T-shirt, Mike Betty (my biz partner) wearing his and Colin Anderson (promoter of the event - the London Invitational at Fitness Expo) wearing... you've guessed it. Ahh how sweet is that :D

Thursday

I take it all back. Today's workout was so frigging bad I'm not even gonna write it down. I slid back on both movments. Tsk :angry:

I did some c/bar and gripper work late yesterday night - went well. Today...

Ricked my neck overhead pressing - ouch, ouch, ouch. I am, however, booked in for some sports massage on Monday at 10am.

Friday

Seated press

to 35-kilos a side x 2 reps (was good for three until muscle popped).

EZ Curls

to 27.5-kilos a side x 4 easy reps

CG Bench (probably not a good idea with neck but...)

to 55-kilos a side x 3 x 1 reps

I'm fairly sure I'm really pushing the envelope as far as recovery is concerned. My neck aches, my back aches and I'm sure there's other stuff ready to go. I didn't tear my hand this week.

The trick, such as it is, is to be on the razors edge and allow time to recover which will be from Tuesday morning - a full grip workout - until Saturday in Sweden.

Hmm, i was planning to rest from wednesday. But a full contest workout sounds pretty nice..

Anyway, curious to see what numbers you will put up on test day..

Aaah, that's too bad! :tongue

Down to 2mm Jim when I use the 'assisted' grip (on a good day). I took an HG300, CoC 3 and your CoC 4 plus 2 x 235kilo c/bars with me to Mick Hart's No Bull Meet 2005 yesterday (glorified piss-up 'n BBQ). They seemed most impressed and I gave it all some proper welly - as I do with a crowd. The kids freak out over the bar bending.

Saturday

In spite of having a beer or three I did some gripper and c/bar work while attending the annual get-together at Mick Hart's. The 2 x 235-kilo bars I did went down well as they have a go at can't budge 'em. Poor old Jesterman Andy strained like a bastard even trying on his knee (I told him to have a go that way). Nada - rolls up and down Mick's kitchen top like it was brand new. I picks it up and 60-seconds later it's V shaped :D

Sunday

Nigh on doing myself an injury (nearly breaking my already knackered chair) and a little 'worn out' after a good nights refreshment I still managed to do some more gripper work. Tomorrow I'm off for some sports massage and will hit the gym on the way back.

Neck a little better. Ibrupofen helps.

Knackered, knackered, knackered. And that's the polite word - the other one begins with F for how I feel.

I went to the sports massage therapist this am (10am) and then straight to the gym. God it was tough ands more so cos of the work I've been doing - ie: deliberately over doing it... well it was TOUGH!

Monday

Partial dealifts

0 x 6, 3p a side x 6, 5p a side x 4, 8p a side x 2 x 1, 9p a side x 2 x 1, 10p a side x 1, 7p a side x time.

Bench

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 35-kilos a side x 6 reps and 51.25-kilos a side x 4 (last one was sooo hard) reps

Lo-row

40-kilos a side x 8 reps, 107.5-kilos a side x 5 reps

Hi-row

30-kilos a side x 8 reps and 62.5-kilos a side x 6 reps

Final workout of the day...

Thick handled dumbbell deadlift

40-kilos+ x 6 x 1 E/H

85-kilos+ x 3 x 1 L/H

110-kilos+ x 3 x 1 R/H

Knackered, knackered, knackered. And that's the polite word - the other one begins with F for how I feel.

I went to the sports massage therapist this am (10am) and then straight to the gym. God it was tough ands more so cos of the work I've been doing - ie: deliberately over doing it... well it was TOUGH!

Monday

Partial dealifts

0 x 6, 3p a side x 6, 5p a side x 4, 8p a side x 2 x 1, 9p a side x 2 x 1, 10p a side x 1, 7p a side x time.

Bench

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 35-kilos a side x 6 reps and 51.25-kilos a side x 4 (last one was sooo hard) reps

Lo-row

40-kilos a side x 8 reps, 107.5-kilos a side x 5 reps

Hi-row

30-kilos a side x 8 reps and 62.5-kilos a side x 6 reps

Mobsterone, you are one severely strong dude! Are you using HAMMER STRENGTH? If so, I like the wide lat pull-down and the seated row. You are moving some huge weights! Does the 10p mean 10 plates? :cry

The lo-row and hi-row machines are very similar to Hammer Strength machines. And yes 10p a side means 10 x 20-kilo / 44lb plates a side. I'll see if I can find the website for the equipment later.

Its always entertaining to read you workout log steve! Some great numbers.

Are you still sorting out a gym in Gloucester?Would be cool to check it out when done. Looks like Im setting up a home gym in Cheltenham when we move there next week. :rock

Lets see if I can put together something now that I have had a few hours rest and some food.

Friday

Started with a balls up. I was restless and only managed to sleep fitfully but was still up at 4am. My bag packed and ready to go I was at the local railway station for 5.10 and caught the 5.30 train. A little slow (why at that time?) it arrived at about 5.50am and I walked as quickly as I could to catch a tube train to Bank and then another to Liverpool Street. However, the minute delays were starting to add up.

Arriving too late for the first (0600) train I caught the later 0615. I HAD to be at Stanstead to book in no later than 0650. Both the Heathrow and Gatwick expresses, travelling the same distance, take 20-30 minutes to get to their respective airports - it would have been tight but possible. The 'express' :dry to Stanstead takes 45 minutes.

So I missed my plane. I already knew I would once I was on the train and it stopped at every stop... I had it in my mind, once I knew, that I would buy a whole new ticket if need be but if I did the I would have to bow out, 100%, from the GGC as (as it says elsewhere in this log) I'm living on my savings.

I checked in any way and asked about flights etc and they allowed me to transfer for just £25.00 to a later flight - phew! :happy

However, this meant waiting and waiting and waiting. But what else was there to do. So bored and tired I went straight through to departures, made a few calls including one to Arne not to wait for me at 1100am and brought a little overpriced food (they have you by the balls).

Eventually the time came and away we went. With the time difference of one hour, a connecting train etc I arrived at about 5.30pm. We went straight to the gym and looked at the equipment and trophies and then to a local and very cheap pizza place.

After a little food we went off into the local country-side and the B&B belonging to a friend of Arne's, Christor. It was a very typical Swedish house - they all look new even if they are not and I met Burkhard Macht who I was sharing a room with. I also met Yvonne and Theo. Poor Burkhard had to listen to my ramblings and before long we needed to sleep well for the following days fun.

We ate breakfast with Theo and Yvonne and then Theo drove us to the X-Act gym / venue and we weighed in.

Grippers.

I don't know why I am always amazed but the setting, within the rules mind, of grippers against the thigh etc etc and then a 20mm close and my not using this advantage meant 3rd place. With the 5 attempts I tried a CoC 3 rated at 3 2 times with my left hand. I also tried a harder gripper than the one I closed easily, or so it seemed, two times again with my right. Although Viktor (1st) did indeed dominate this event I think I could have made it a lot closer between myself and Johan (2nd). If one looks at the results I lost my .03 :( Even with my mistakes the two handed gripper total was my best showing thus far in any competition L: 2,81 and R: 3,54 = 6,35

Continued...

Two hand pinch

No excuses - I plain suck at this. I mean I lift enough for my weight to be of a good standard - enough to get me into competitions. But enough to place well and get points? No. I lifted 83-kilos (about 183 lbs) as predicted in my most recent comments in another thread on Thursday.

There was no earth shattering records set at the event, in spite of some mighty efforts and the winning weight was only 87-kilos. This meant my 83-kilos was enough to keep me with a few points and in 5th place on the pinch. I think, with my third place in the earlier event and differing names moving up that I was 2nd overall at this point - just behind Viktor.

V-bar

I know I wasn't the only one who inspected the bar and had been hoping for some chalk encrusted beast like the one I had performed a mighty pull or three on in the GGC - why it was almost clean. But nevertheless ending up with a joint first place with Theo (the predicted winner) losing out to Theo's gold spot my being a few kilos more it was still me best two handed effort with L: 137,5 and R: 145 = 282,5. Theo managed 142,5/140=282,5 kg and soon to be champ David Hurzeler was just behind with 142,5/137,5=280 kg. After that the field opened right up. I did, it has to be said, need an extra attempt with both hands for the top weights just missing them on the first. Again my placings here kept me in contention and I was either 2nd or third overall at this point with a weakish lift to follow.

One handed lift

I had been worried about both my back and my lack of being able to pratice the movement but did ok. I knew that I needed some middle of the pack type numbers to keep me near the top overall and that's about what I did - well middle of the bottom group anyway. :upsidedwn L: 235 and R: 230 = 465 kg

My right hand efforts were no where near as good as they needed to be (I missed 245 kilos 2x and this would have only moved me up one place) and I also found myself tired after the left hand. David H's efforts were outstanding and while we were all a few hours in we were inspired to watch him at work. Another dose or three of caffiene and another small box of raisins and I started back to come back to life in time for...

Bending

Maybe my brain was frozen, tired or I just didn't get it... Poor David H tried three times at one point saying 'I may lose if you get this but I will try to help you' (he's a real nice guy) but I ended up wasting my attempts here before, on the very last bar, the idea of doing at least a 60-degree bend and THEN folding it caught my feeble brain.

I think, as David says elsewhere, I easily got an initial kink with every bar I tried just not to 60-degrees.

Finish

Making a mistake in the right hand one hand lift and then being as dumb as a donkey in bending cost me 3rd place for sure and maybe, just maybe 2nd. With less than 3 points between me and a slightly off Johan it was close. However, with his amazing efforts, especially on the one hand lift, the 'little skinny guy' from Switzerland - David 'the swizz' Hurtlzer - was a worthy winner and showed that being on of the lightest was no barrier to the winners podium - very well done David.

Tomorrow more adventures...

V-bar

I know I wasn't the only one who inspected the bar and had been hoping for some chalk encrusted beast like the one I had performed a mighty pull or three on in the GGC - why it was almost clean.

For the v-bar to be encrusted with chalk you have to use it on a regular basis. The v-bar used in the Euro would be more slippery than the one used in the 2004 GGC for two main reasons;

1) Twice as many competitors means chalk is building up to a higher degree.

2) The GGC v-bar would have been used on a (very) regular basis leading up the competition whereas Arne hardly uses the Loddekopinge bar at all. He does not train v-bar on a regular basis. It will therefore always be slightly more difficult to set records on this bar. Good one Arne. :trout

Having said that there was not a huge difference between your result in the GGC (151k) and the Euro (145k).

V-bar

I know I wasn't the only one who inspected the bar and had been hoping for some chalk encrusted beast like the one I had performed a mighty pull or three on in the GGC - why it was almost clean.

For the v-bar to be encrusted with chalk you have to use it on a regular basis. The v-bar used in the Euro would be more slippery than the one used in the 2004 GGC for two main reasons;

1) Twice as many competitors means chalk is building up to a higher degree.

2) The GGC v-bar would have been used on a (very) regular basis leading up the competition whereas Arne hardly uses the Loddekopinge bar at all. He does not train v-bar on a regular basis. It will therefore always be slightly more difficult to set records on this bar. Good one Arne. :trout

Having said that there was not a huge difference between your result in the GGC (151k) and the Euro (145k).

Ha ha! Last Wednesday I lifted 137,5 kg without warming up. The handle was perfect:D

Well it was good enough for me to get joint first but if it had been encrusted... I have kicked ass!

Steve nice report.

I think we agreed that the vbar was not in an optimal seasonned state but it was the same for everyone. Just makes it a little hard choosing the right first attempt (cf Theo's almost bombing out right handed)

Steve had you trained the bending rules you could have been looking at a 1st place!! wrist strength is definately there but you might have need to switch styles. next time.