Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

As noted elsewhere it's deffo April 1st. Anyway...

Sunday am

Grippers

Usual warm ups then

L/H: HG 300 x 1, 1 and then N (grr) followed by BBGM x VN, N, N

R/H: BBSE x 1, x 1, N, N, VN, VN, N - cocked up but in a good way. I thought it was a BBE and was a little annoyed at how tough shutting an 'Elite' was so put some effort into it before I noticed. :lol:

Wednesday am

Grippers

Not happy with this workout. I may go straight to the harder grippers as that seemed better last time. It'd be interesting if I go BBGM left and BBSE right and then drop back to a HG300 or CoC 2 left for 6-8 x 1 and BBE or CoC 3 for 6-8 x 1 as 'finishers'.

L/H: HG300x 3 x 1 then BBGM x VN, N, N, N.

R/H: BBE x 3 x 1 then BBSE x VN, VN, N, N

As noted elsewhere it's deffo April 1st. Anyway...

Sunday am

Grippers

Usual warm ups then

L/H: HG 300 x 1, 1 and then N (grr) followed by BBGM x VN, N, N

R/H: BBSE x 1, x 1, N, N, VN, VN, N - cocked up but in a good way. I thought it was a BBE and was a little annoyed at how tough shutting an 'Elite' was so put some effort into it before I noticed. :lol:

nice job on the BBSE...you must be close to a #4 now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday am

Grippers

much better today - usual then

L/H: GM x 3 x 1 plus 3 x 1 N

R/H: BBSE (rated at 290ip) x 2 x 1 plus 2 x 1 VN. I then had a go at a BBGE (rated at 325ip)

What does N and VN mean?

And I've heard something said about you using a wide set, what kind of set do you use?

N = Near, VN = Very Near.

Set = about 2-inches (just checked)

On an old handle. On a new handle less. I'm training with two now so as to get the new handle weight to match the old in time for a competition in March.

does that mean that the old handle the plastic sleve is thinner from use and by squeezing it tight you can lift more just asking

On an old handle. On a new handle less. I'm training with two now so as to get the new handle weight to match the old in time for a competition in March.

does that mean that the old handle the plastic sleve is thinner from use and by squeezing it tight you can lift more just asking

No. It's worn so much that 1) it barely spins and 2) you can get more of a grip. I'll see if I can post a pic.

No. It's worn so much that 1) it barely spins and 2) you can get more of a grip. I'll see if I can post a pic.

is it possible to squeeze one to help in the lift because its only pcv plastic pipe

I want them both around 120-kilos plus come April 1st (day of event).

What does N and VN mean?

And I've heard something said about you using a wide set, what kind of set do you use?

N = Near, VN = Very Near.

Set = about 2-inches (just checked)

That's practically a credt card set...

Shutting a BBSE with a CC set, that's freaking nuts.

My bloody back grrr. I know what it is and it's literally working like a nutter in the gym then sitting on my arse at this PC (so I'll be out for a walk later ha ha). In other words I get silly tight due to mad training and then not moving.

Last weekend, once I was moving and kept moving it got better and better. So this morning I stretched in between reps on the grippers.

Wednesday am

The longer between reps the better and stronger I got

Grippers

as usual then

L/H: GM x 5 x VN

R/H: BBE x 1, BBSE x 1, x VVN, VN, VN, N and 1

And a week later...

Wednesday p.m.

God damn this was hard. The right hand mostly - the left was easy. Indeed so much so I thought I had underloaded. I actually did overload the right hand (I had 127.5-kilos on it) and had to strip it down and go again.

Thick handled dumbbell

L/H: 95-kilos (217 lbs total) tilted x 3 x 1 reps.

R/H: 125-kilos (283 lbs total) tilted x 1, x att, x 1, x att, x 1 rep - the second proper rep was just barely held on to.

When I did some of my old super heavy lifts (I'm about 2/3-3/4 of the way back to that level) I would think so. Even though it may not have been true that was the level of grip I gave it. It seemed to work for me then.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=4026

I can't believe how worn out your old RT handle is.

Well it's what, 5 years old. I'm sure some of the damage is being in my kit bag and banging against the loading pin, belt etc when being carried. At other times, when not in use, its been thrown in a box without too much care and so on. Still the smoother newer handle weights are coming up fast even as the worn handle poundage numbers slow down. If I can get them close to equal by April 1st I'll win. I also keep the new handle here at home and clean it off after using it.

Todays sample training effort:

Sunday am

Grippers

usual then

L/H: BBGM x 1, x 1, x 1 (all good) plus VN, VN, VN.

R/H: BBSE x 1, x 1, x 1 (all good) plus VN, VN, VN.

Strong on both but doing the solid reps at the beginning meant I was less able to do more singles later. I also really felt each rep - even letting the gripper open slowly was tough.

Sunday a.m.

My left hand palm is still sore with the small puncture wounds (2) caused by the nail bending on Friday night. My right hand index finger (right hand side with palm down so it rubs against the middle finger) and the right hand thumb pad are still sore where the wounds are from the small cuts I managed to get on Wednesday or Thursday night when washing a glass that broke in my hand. So I taped up the index finger to train and made do with nowt for the left hand palm. This may have affected my training - that and Fridays efforts... Anyway training changes soon to reflect the shift in focus to the up-coming May 20th competition.

Grippers

usual warm ups and then...

L/H: BBGM x N, N, N, N.

R/H: BBSE x 1, VVN, VVN, VVN.

Stopped at 4 singles as I knew it wasn't gonna happen today. The hands will heal v soon and then it's game on.

My left hand palm is still sore with the small puncture wounds (2) caused by the nail bending on Friday night.

What are you bending these days?

Nothing. I only do what I need to do. I train, in total, 6 times a week. The grip stuff while not having that huge an effect on the CNS does still require the hands to recover. Yet I can train it 2x Wednesdays and 2x Sundays. One session around 10-11am and one sometime between 6 and 8pm. If I was entering a competition which had bending in it then I'd practise it. I know what I have done in the past and how to train it so would aim to be a little better than before.

Nails - the standard 6-inch type - I can do anytime. I know how and I have the strength always. I did have a go at a IM red after David Horne's CoC event egged on by Gazza, Frankboy, Big Steve and others and managed to get that going but like my GGC when I had exhausted my efforts on either the G8 or G5 (I did the bronze looking one) I could only manage to get it to about 40-45 degrees.

For example and as per the other post I have told the guys that asked me to do some more shows that it is unlikely I'll do the big dumbbell then as I'll be training for competitions. That said I could do an Inch dumbbe ll most days and could easily get access to one for a show. It is far more likely that I'll make a show of what I am training for - do less weight and use people as the load.

The puncture wounds were caused by me rushing the wrapping of my battered and torn towel around the nails in order to do as many as possible in a short time while the kids were still gathered around and excited after the show. I even showed them my finger, thumb and palm bleeding - did they ask me to do 'just one more'? You betcha :rolleyes

Although I also bent a 267-kilo rated Challenge bar at the 2004 Euro's it's 'not my thing'.

Friday

warm up etc.

Imade same mistake as last time - over did presses was Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed for bench press

Seated press

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 27.5-kilos a side x 6 reps, 35-kilos a side x 3 reps, same again but with a spot/assist.

EZ O bar curls (loose)

15-kilos a side x 8 reps, 22.5-kilos a side x 6 reps, 30-kilos a side x 4 reps plus 1 then realised I was fried so moved on.

CG Bench

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 40-kilos a side x 6 reps, 62.5-kilos x 1 - shot, tried again, shot so dropped to a bloody hard 60-kilos a side x 1.

R/Thunder

B/H: 80-kilos x 3 reps.

L/H: 100-kilos x 1 rep. Then Scooter et al tried and I ended up showing them the one hand lift and worked up to 220-kilos x 1 (R/H) and tried but missed a single with 240-kilos. This is another lift I haven't done for nigh on 12 months and yet still was as strong as all hell on. Nice :D What made it more sweeter was only Scooter lifted it - 2 handed ha ha. Richy (gym instructor) was trying out a new drinks machine and I may have got my 2nd wind from the free cup of a sweet but poncey Earl Grey tea.

I also popped into town and picked up two more pans and 2 more brochures from Argos to go with the few nails I have for a show at tomorrows OHF dinner (got a call asking if I could do 'something' last night).

Friday pm

Cos of the stunted nature of my Rolling Thunder workout earlier and in spite of doing the heavy one hand lifts (they were fun mind) I decided, in between getting ready for the OHF tomorrow, to do the RT again tonight. As I just posted on the gripboard I made one change this week - I did Pinch and V-bar Wednesday. So I was well happy with the following

R/Thunder (old handle)

B/H: 60-kilos (no chalk) x 3 reps, 80-kilos (no chalk) x 3 reps

L/H: 100-kilos x 3 x 1 - sweet, more so after getting a rep earlier today.

R/H: 120-kilos x 3 x 1 - a little harder but oh so sweet. I also tried something different which may be in the rules (I'll check) which seemed to help if only mentally. If I can use it and I do get more then I'm aiming for 140-kilos right handed and 120-kilo left. I hope the carry over from an old handle to a new one will mean some nice numbers.

I just checked the rules - it seems ok (I know I haven't said what it is but if it helps I'm saying nowt ha ha). I'll check after any event. :devil If nothing else it may help me lift more weight when I don't use the 'trick'. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

I need to see if it's the pinch and the 'trick' and whether it carries over to the new handle or I just got stronger. I'll let you know.