Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Well it's what, 5 years old. I'm sure some of the damage is being in my kit bag and banging against the loading pin, belt etc when being carried. At other times, when not in use, its been thrown in a box without too much care and so on. Still the smoother newer handle weights are coming up fast even as the worn handle poundage numbers slow down. If I can get them close to equal by April 1st I'll win. I also keep the new handle here at home and clean it off after using it.

Todays sample training effort:

Sunday am

Grippers

usual then

L/H: BBGM x 1, x 1, x 1 (all good) plus VN, VN, VN.

R/H: BBSE x 1, x 1, x 1 (all good) plus VN, VN, VN.

Strong on both but doing the solid reps at the beginning meant I was less able to do more singles later. I also really felt each rep - even letting the gripper open slowly was tough.

looking real strong there on grippers I bet you could close a #4 now the way that BBSE is going :bow

Based on that session maybe. After the small injury recently I am back a week or so and need to get to about 6-7 consistent closes with the BBSE IMO.

Not long back from the OHF annual awards dinner I managed to injure my left palm puncturing it - again - with a nail doing a strength show (did some nails - much blood, books - with blood on cover and then rolled two pans - yes with blood on 'em).

This is making my late session with the grippers bloody hard. The main wound is sore and there are two-three smaller sore spots around. They are all, as they would be, just on the spot where the gripper sits. Ouch!

Last week:

Sunday pm

Took some doing as I experimented both with and without chalk.

R/Thunder (new handle)

B/H: 50-kilos (plus handle etc) x 3 n/s reps

L/H: 82-kilos x 2 x 1 reps plus 1 miss and then after R/H I dusted the hand off almost all the chalk and got another

R/H: 91.5-kilos x 3 x 1 reps. I also did some thumbless with the 82-kilos (2-3 singles).

This week:

Sunday pm

Rolling Thunder (new handle)

60-kilos x 3 x 1 with thumb reps and 3 x 1 without thumb reps

L/H: 80-kilos x 1 rep w.t. and 1 rep w.o.t. + 'trick', followed by 82.5-kilos x 1 w.t, plus 2 attempts w.t. I switched to right hand and then, when rested, came back and did another x 1 - but it was sloppy.

R/H: 95-kilos x 1 rep w.t., x 1 rep w.t., had a rest and then x 1 rep w.t. all with 'trick'. Then 90-kilos x 3 x 1 w.o.t + 'trick'.

If this carries on to the next old handle session... :devil

looking real strong there on grippers I bet you could close a #4 now the way that BBSE is going :bow

I saw mobster close a Super Elite at the show he did a week back. :rock Like to see what would happen to a 4

Edited by Geo

I'm doing another show. We discussed it after and I agreed (hoping my back is better before then) today on me doing one on either Tuesday 4th or Wednesday or wed 5th April at a local school.

Friday pm

Rolling Thunder o/handle

L/H: 100-kilos x 1 rep, 102.5-kilos (233.5 total lbs) x 3 x 1 rep all with 'trick'.

R/H: 121-kilos (274.2 total lbs) x 3 x 1 reps. All with 'trick' but none pulled to full height due to back pain.

Edited by mobsterone

R/H: 121-kilos (274.2 total lbs) x 3 x 1 reps. All with 'trick' but none pulled to full height due to back pain.

My father's back has been paining something serious lately. This mornin we were working in the yard and he couldn't even bend over. After he sits down, he can't even get up sometimes.

I hope you don't get bad off like that mob, stay strong, and get stronger. :rock

Mine only gets bad when I injure it doing silly stuff - like this time. It's frustrating - as I imagine it will be for your dad - cos of the recovary time. Mines been ok for 10 months.

I saw mobster close a Super Elite at the show he did a week back. :rock Like to see what would happen to a 4

awesome :cool

Finally managed 2 x 1 today after having missed any closes the last few times plus 5 more VVN's (very, very nears).

Well not without - shock horror - a wrist strap :shock:

Monday

I talked way too much and hence it took 30 minutes more than it ought to. Plus the rowing was shite due to the deadlifts again so I'll change to something else for the duration.

One hand deadlifts

B/H: bar x 3 reps, 20-kilos e/s x 3 reps

L/H: 55-kilos (130-kilos) e/s x 3 x 1 reps with hook grip (ouch)

R/H: 62.5-kilos (145-kilos) e/s x 3 x 1 rep with hook grip (double ouch)

CG Bench

20-kilos e/s x 8 reps, 40-kilos e/s x 6 reps, 60-kilos e/s x 3 x 1 reps (all hard :( )

DB Row

L/H: shit x 70-kilos

R/H: 70-kilos x 8 reps so...

Row machine

15p x 12 reps - nice pump

Wednesday am

Grippers

Not bad

L/H: BBGM x 2 x 1 plus 4 x VN

R/H: BBSE x 2 x 1 plus 4 X VVN

Wednesday - 2-3.30pm

Display at school - more later but v tiring carrying v-bar and 20-kilo disc from house before

Wednesday pm

Two hand pinch

equ x 3 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 x 1, plus 60-kilos (81-kilos approx) x 3 x 1 rep

V-Bar

B/H: 60-kilos x 3 reps, 80-kilos x 3 reps

L/H: 120-kilos x 1 reps and then 125-kilos x 3 x 1 (alt. with heavier R/H weights)

R/H: 130-kilos x 3 x 1 reps then 135-kilos x 1 rep and 140-kilos x 1 rep

Also 50 weight lifting belts arrived. Bargain considering what we paid for 'em. Poor bloke next door struggled with the box (he had signed for it) and I joked that he needed a belt but they were inside ha ha. Only managed to get small (to 30-inch waist) and medium (to 34-inch waist)

Mobby, what's up with the hook grip? I read in your 'other' log you were doing them with regular grip..? Or am i wrong.. ?

I started training this lift two weeks ago and was using regular. I've never trained hook before and thought I'll see how it goes. Subject to decisions made between now and then (if they are made prior to the event) and whether or not I want the comp included under any banner (ie: WHSA) I may allow a hook grip. The calibrated grippers, V-bar and Two hand pinch are all euro standard. Other lifts have yet to be verified as such. Also there's no great list etc and it's a new one for me. Lastly the nice bar we brought DOES NOT have centre knurling.

I also emailed a scales company on the weekend and they still haven't replied (but then neither have Arthur or Richard as per another thread).

School display update:

Wow what a tough crowd.

My back is still not 100% and the heavy one hand deadlifts, which I am making good progress on, make it difficult to recover but one does what one does in order to succeed.

Anyway the time came and it was one of those days when being able to drive would have been useful. As I don't I carried my bag with RT handle etc and a V-Bar plus 20-kilo disc the 1/4 or so mile (it felt like more) to the school. I managed to go to the wrong one but the one I wanted was just around the corner so a little further.

Having found the spot it was nice to be greeted by some of the kids calling out my name and remembering from the 'other show' as they put it. I got asked, again, about the poster for the previous show... I did tell the organiziers but kids want to see the 'man with the big muscles'.

Still huffing and puffing I took my sweet time setting up and Haroon had got together all the items I needed. Before we started I asked the crowd, aged 6-10, for '2 special favors'. Firstly I'll need them to shout and cheer as loud as possible to help me and secondly my mum was coming to Gloucester for the first time ever and will arrive shortly and when she does I want you all to give her a special cheer for me (which they did bless 'em ha ha).

As before and as it's a nice warm up for me I did a couple of nails and I knew the waving it above their heads and saying who wants a souvanir works so I played on it and made them reach. One of the helpers was taking the items back 'for them to collect after' - probably worried they were gonna take thier eyes out or something... but it hadn't been a problem before but you never know so.

Onwards. Haroon had brought four of the pans I use and so I made a big deal out of whacking them hard so 'you can hear they're proper metal' and then pop! Rolling them like dishcloths. One thing I need to do is pace each event by working the crowd a little then getting an ounce of extra strength ready for the next trick. As it was I did all four pans - 2 large and 2 small one after another. Then I asked for volunteers. Knowing full well, knackered back and tired from the walk it wouldn't be a problem I chose two of the larger kids and did the v-bar and RT lifts followed by Haroon and the only other adult male - he seemed to enjoy it. Of course I made a bigger show of lifting them and turned around while I had them off the ground and worked the crowd - 'come on I need you to cheer!'

Next up was the two Argos brochures which went down nice n easy. Then Haroon handed me an enormous Yellow Pages which I have to say defeated me - for shame - I can only offer that I had done one during the week. I had it in mind to try and break a nail but sweated me arse off and so ended up bending a bunch so whoever wanted one could have one. Finally one of the kids asked if I could bend two at a time and given how easy it was getting I said yes and did two at a time which was nice.

Having thought my part in the day was done I was then given a bunch of stuff the kids had been working on and asked to judge it and then hand out prizes which I duly did.

As I was packing up and having said hello to my mum - remember the cheer I mentioned - Haroon was trying to pay me and I said 'why not take off some more time on the gym membership?' which he said he would a and then pressed a few quid into my hand anyway (which me mum and I knocked out 10 minutes later in the supermarket).

As before the hard part felt like carrying the weight etc back home after the show but truly it was more that the kids want more, more, more! What a tough crowd. I also need to learn 1) to do what I know I can do, 2) to get the bloody weights dropped off and 3) to milk the crowd regardless of who it is - this will come with practise.

You went to school to learn, James. :)

Nice work Mob,

I know what you mean about schools being a demanding crowd as I teach at a high school in the U.S. and I thought long ago that the gimic of bends and tearing phone books everyday would have worn off. But alas, it has not. Nice to hear that others like your self are doing great things with kids. :D I really respect that. Also to be called out on doing two nails at a time and just following through like that...youare the man! takes guts man.

-AK Sean

Nice work Mob,

I know what you mean about schools being a demanding crowd as I teach at a high school in the U.S. and I thought long ago that the gimic of bends and tearing phone books everyday would have worn off. But alas, it has not. Nice to hear that others like your self are doing great things with kids. :D I really respect that. Also to be called out on doing two nails at a time and just following through like that...youare the man! takes guts man.

-AK Sean

It's cool and I enjoy it. It can be tough - yesterday I did grippers, then the show then pinch + V-bar all in the same day then slept on the spare bed as my mum stayed over (it was like a rock!). All of which is tiring. But it gets my name about, the kids love it and I've increased my free gym time. So all good.

Hi Steve! How does your BBSE compare to the 3.65?

Highly comparable. I did a 10-second hold with a BBE rated at 3.54 at the CoC event and have shut a BBSE before. Mine, which doesn't get worked too hard will be, IMO, a little tougher than 3.65. Probably 3.7 or thereabouts. I also have a BBGE which is nigh on the same as a 4 and I may need to start work on that.

However, as has been pointed out, it's my left hand that needs ALL the work and if I can get close to tghe eqv of a CoC 3 (2.8++) then so much the better.

Nice one with the school show mobster!

Did you have to bend countless nails at the end this time? :D

Also where did you get that grip machine. It looks good.

Edited by Geo

I bent a load with the intention of doing enough for everyone there - about 30+ Added to the few I did during the show earlier.

The grip machine is an early Ironmind item (still has the sticker on it) which I swapped for 3 tubs of protein with Mike Thompson - ex-hardgainer writer (he works for ITN - rushes the video tapes with news across London to the studios for OB teams - I've seen him outside Downing Street in my old job and the Home Office on another occasionb - we met at a OH dinner). He's a stocky thickset 'Jock'.

• 2 weeks later...

Sample workout... look at the weights Dutch ;)

Friday

Builders had me up on the roof today (hanging on for dear life mind). I had trouble squeezing myself through the gaps they nipped through easily enough. There's 6 of them here today - a plasterer (or 2), 2 on the roof and 2 doing my doors and doorways. A sparks (electrician) is over today and painting starts next week. I'm also enjoying the dubious pleasure of Bob (company director) finding things which cost me more (the roof for example). What fun.

So sanctuary was the gym

R/Thunder (all thumbless and all old stiff handle)

B/H: 60-kilos x 3 reps, 80 kilos x 3 reps

L/H: 100-kilos x 1 rep and then 105-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

R/H: 120-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

Machine Press

10p x 8 reps, 15p x 8 reps and stk (19p or 88.5-kilos) x 7 reps

Cable Curls

7p x 8 reps, 12p x 8 reps, 15p x 8 reps

Cable pressdown

10p x 8 reps, stk (15p) x 8 reps, stk plus 5-kilos x 8 reps, plus 10-kilos x 8 reps, plus 15-kilos x 8 reps plus 20-kilos x 6-7 reps.

Sample workout... look at the weights Dutch ;)

R/Thunder (all thumbless and all old stiff handle)

B/H: 60-kilos x 3 reps, 80 kilos x 3 reps

L/H: 100-kilos x 1 rep and then 105-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

R/H: 120-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

Yeah mobby, too kind of you :kiss 120kg.. Hmmm, i wonder how long that would take me.. that brings me to the following question, give some numbers of when you first started doing thickbar work! I went all the way to first page of your logs, and already you were hoisting up the big numbers.. So, tell!

I've been capable of 80-kilo plus from the get go if memory serves me well.