A Grip Log

Sean Dockery

The giant blisters got in the way today....

2.5 db deadlifts 5x1x135

50 BLob dead lifts 5x1

50 Blob clean 4 attempts

Plate Curls 5x5x25

Reverse Curls 3x10x60

Sledge Rotations

Extensors

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean Dockery

• austinslater

• pdoire

• Jonathan McMillan

1x5 #1 TNS

2x1 #2 TNS

5x1 SM TNS rotated with

5x1 SE SO neg

5x1 SM set att rotated with

5x1 filed #3 NC

5x1 #2 OC rotated with

5x1 #1 SH w/10lbs

5x5 #1

6lbs Shot Rotations

2 25's plus chain 5x1

50 Blob dl 5x1

2.5 db wrist curl 5x5x55

Reverse Curls 3x10x60

Extensors

Sledge lever 5 negatives with 12 pound sledge

50 Blob deadlifts 5x1

42.5 Blob overhand toss 20 catches

42.5 Blob cleans 5x1

Plate Curls 5x5x25+2.5

Reverse Curls 3x10x60

Sledge Rotations 3x10

Extensors

Sean, awesome blob work! How do you do your overhand tosses? I can only do it with a 35, but I pinch it up then toss it over to the left, pinching it w/the left by the top. Awesome volume too, my hands could not handle daily work like yours.

Morgan, Thanks for the kind words! I do overhand tosses just as you describe above. As for the volume...I think anyone can slowly build up to these volume levels. The key word being slowly.

1x5 #1 TNS

2x1 #2 TNS

5x1 SM TNS

6lb shot rotations (increased to 25 rotations each direction eah hand)

2.5 db deadlift 5x1x135

95 hex dl 5x1

2.5 db Wrist Curl 5x5x55

Reverse Curl 3x10x60

Sledge Rotations

Extensors

1x5 #1 TNS

2x1 #2 TNS

5x1 SM TNS gettin pretty close....

6lbs Shot Rotations

2 25's plus chain 5x1 (weighed this yesterday and the whole thing weighs 95 pounds. I've got about 10lbs of chain that isn't being lifted yet. This is a one hand pinch)

50 Blob dls 5x1

Plate Curls 5x5x25+2.5

Reverse Curls 3x10x60

Sledge Levering

Extensors

Edited by Sean Dockery

What are you doing for your extensors?

Jonathan, Thanks! Seemed the best way to create progression.

Clay, I'm using a bucket of sand. Thrusting fingers in and opening hand for reps. Progressing by gong deeper in the sand, and by increasing repetitions.

I'm going to go light the next couple days. A friend's bachelor party is here on friday. The Groom, myself and my training partner are all grip addicts. I'm certain Friday evening will be a very long, intense grip workout.

1x5 #1 TNS

2x1 #2 TNS

2x1 SM TNS

6lb Shot Rotations

50 Blob deadlifts 3x1

Extensors

Didn't expect I'd go this light, but very unmotivated today.

Well, yesterday came and it was pouring down rain. Nick (nickr104) showed up about 5:30 and we decided not to play with stones or tires, because of the rain. We started warming up just kind of playing around til other guys showed.

Nick pinched 2 35's pretty easy, and I got them off the ground a few times. I had just bought these plates, so I expect they will get easier as we wear some of the paint off. Out of boredom, I grabbed a steel horseshoe and bent it. Nick was pretty impressed. Isn't it fun to have a buddy who is way stronger than you, but still gets excited when you accomplish a PR?

Dan was the next guy to come over. He's our resident Abercrombie and Fitch model. A great guy who grew up on a hog farm, and never acts the pretty boy. But you ought to see the women stare! Anywho, Dan has never seriously trained his grip, but he strolls in...grabs a #2 and gets it within 1/8'. Then we're standing around chatting and he grabs a 35 blob, lifting it with ease. I got a little excited. Told him to try the 42.5. Another easy lift. OK. Chalk up good, Dan. Here's the 50. He broke it off the ground the first time he touched it!

That launched us into the blob lifting. Nick grabbed the 50. Got good and mad. Then did a nice full deadlift. I fussed around with it some and finally managed to clean it. Then Dan walks up and under my instruction uses his off hand to assist in getting the 50 off the floor. Takes his hand away. Stands all the way up with it! Then he grabbed it again and without any help from the off hand got the 50 above his knees.

For all you aspiring gripmasters, go work on a hog farm for 10 years. It worked for Dan Davis. It can work for you!

Right about then Travis (T Sands) and the rest of the wedding party showed up. We all pile into my workout shed and do a few more feats. I bent 2 more horseshoes. Nick tried to hublift a 45 and got it to float around the floor. Travis put a serious hurt on my filed #3. By then we were all pretty hungry so we headed out to the restaurant for dinner.

This morning's workout:

Reverse Curls 3x10x60

Sledge Levering

Extensors

110 hex dl 5 attempts

42.5 blob overhand toss 20 catches

Plate Curl 5x2x25+5

Reverse Curl 3x10x60

Sledge

Extensors

Thanks Erik!

1x5 #1 TNS

2x1 #2 TNS

5x1 SM TNS

Bending

Sad news...tried all the various styles of nail bending. And every one caused sharp pain in my left elbow. Oh well, backto the levering!

6lbs Shot Rotations

2 35's deadlift 5x1 (another workout or two and it'll be time to add chain)

105 hex 3 finger dl 4x1 (middle, ring and pinky. practicing for wider hex's)

50 Double Blob deadliftx1 (starting to think about the double clean)

2.5 Db wrist curl 5x5x60

Reverse Curl 3x10x60

Sledge Levering

Extensors

1x5 #1 TNS

2x1 #2 TNS

5x1 SM TNS

2.5 db c+j 10 singles each hand (no real weight. just getting the feel for this move. it might make it into the program at some point)

6lbs Shot Rotations

Funny story...

After grippers I went out in the yard to lift my stones some. I bent over to lift the first one and RIIIIIP! Giant hole in the seat of my pants...

Butt-too-big-for-your-pants is a key indicator of training sucess for me. So, I was actually pretty pleased. Hard to keep lifting when the grass is tickling your nether regions tho'...I have a strict exit only policy back there....

:laugh

You're really bulking up for this grip contest next month aren't you?

That's Right, Clay! Ya'll better watch out. I'm coming in at a monsterous 216.....

Double Blob deadlift 5x1

42.5 blob overhand toss 10 catches (tried adding weight but dropped the blob with 7 pounds added and snapped my duct tape.)

Plate Curl 5x3x25+5

Reverse Curl 3x10x60

Sledge Levering

Extensors

1x5 #1 TNS

2x1 #2 TNS

5x1 SM TNS

6lbs Shot Rotations

2 35's 5x1

105 hex 3 finger dl 5x1

Double Blob dl 2x1

2.5 db WC 5x5x60

Reverse Curl 3x10x60

Sledge Levering

Extensors

Felt "off". Tired, unmotivated. Trained thru it and feel better now. Looking forward to the afternoon session to redeem today's work.

Visited my local farrier today. Needed to pick up more horseshoes. Bent a couple for him. Figured that was plenty warmup.

3x1 SM TNS man were these close.....

6lbs Shot Rotations

2 35's 5x1

105 hex 3 finger dl 5x1

Double Blob dl 2x1

2.5 db WC 5x5x60

Reverse Curl 3x10x60

Sledge Levering

Extensors

Felt "off". Tired, unmotivated. Trained thru it and feel better now. Looking forward to the afternoon session to redeem today's work.

Nice job on the hex!