A Grip Log

Sean Dockery

Day one: No biggie. Soaked. Did the work. Soaked.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean Dockery

• austinslater

• pdoire

• Jonathan McMillan

Great job with the Blob ! :bow Above knee height is as close as possible from a lockout.

Way to go !

Amaury.

It must have been really cool to meet all that great grip guys too :cool

KTA day two: Soaked. Squeezed. Soaked.

My hands did feel a little sore this morning. I'm not sure if they are still recovering from NOS or if KTA is getting to me already.

KTA week 1: the volume has taken it's toll on my crushing strength. Today I could not close my #2 at the end of my workout. This is no surprise however, and I look forward to the rest day tomorrow and a nice jump in strength for Monday's workout. Bring on the real volume...Bring on the pain!

A couple days into Week 2 and I broke the cardinal rule of KTA...I picked up my #3 today, set it to parallel and closed it. Much to my surprise! Switched it over to the left hand, BAM! Closed again! I'll still follow thru with the rest of KTA. (after all, I've got to do the 2" set for IM cert.) Boy am I excited!

Thanks to the gripboard for all your encouragement!

A couple days into Week 2 and I broke the cardinal rule of KTA...I picked up my #3 today, set it to parallel and closed it. Much to my surprise! Switched it over to the left hand, BAM! Closed again! I'll still follow thru with the rest of KTA. (after all, I've got to do the 2" set for IM cert.) Boy am I excited!

Thanks to the gripboard for all your encouragement!

Hey! You broke our unwritten agreement! Now I am closer to becoming the only pathetic soul who can lift The Blob without being able to close the #3. I've done the 45 York blob with my right hand on several occasions (my right hand is 7.75"), but my best gripper closes are the #2, PDA 262, & HG250.

Macronan, would you compare going from the 40 to the 50 blob to going from the #2 to the #3, or is the jump from the 45 to the 50 blob more like it? There isn't much difference in size or weight from the 45 to the 47.5 or 50, but...

Congratulations on closing the #3, and with BOTH hands! It must be a great feeling! :rock

Thanks guys!

Odin, I'd say the 40 to 50 jump is comparable to the #2 to #3 jump. Don't underestimate the difference between the 47.5 and the 50 tho'. Those couple pounds are significant. Looking back it took nearly 3 weeks to go from being consistent with the 47.5 to a consistent Blob lift.

Thanks guys!

Odin, I'd say the 40 to 50 jump is comparable to the #2 to #3 jump.

I guess I am at the BBSM level then, since I can do the 45 York with my right. The 47.5 blob is starting to feel a little better. It used to feel like a giant watermelon seed, but now I can break it off the ground sometimes.

Sean, given your current rate of progress, you'll have achieved your current gripper goals and complete your third goal of lifting the Inch by this summer!

picked up my #3 today, set it to parallel and closed it. Much to my surprise! Switched it over to the left hand, BAM!

AWESOME !! :mosher

Impressive progress Sean, very impressive ! :bow

I was out of town last week. Took the grippers with me and continued KTA. I now have a bruise in both palms from the volume. Rested and ready for Phase 2. HOORAH!

Well, another week of KTA is behind me now. I think it's a great plan for gripper improvement, but............

My hands are really itching to get back at blockweights, bending, levering, etc. I like closing grippers, but I really don't like training with them. Long story short...I'm considering going back to a routine similar to what I was using before KTA.

5 days a week

Blockweights: 3 attempts/negs, 5 holds

One finger Dl's: 5 singles per finger

Thick handle levering: 5 sets

Monday and Thursday

Bend: use given stock until I can bend 12' in one workout, then go to harder stock

I'll continue my odd object/sledge training twice a week for total body strength. When I get my home gym up and running, I'll incorporate thickbar into my whole-body work.

I'm prolly gonna keep playing with this idea for a couple more weeks. I'd like to stick KTA out to the end. I don't like quitting, and stopping KTA now would feel like quitting.

Enuff of my rambling! If anyone wants to comment on the proposed schedule, feel free.

Looks good buddy. Where would you mix in the sledge work? I like the idea of bending 12' of stock and then moving on. Keep us posted!

Austin,

I made a thick lever bar out of some 2" pipe, and will be using that to replace the sledge levering I have done in the past. I have been using sledges in my other training to simulate the Indian club training described on Tom Black's page, and elsewhere ;) So basically I will be fitting sledge work in everywhere.

I hope that makes sense.

I have officially decided to drop KTA and go back to the blockweights and bending. KTA has worked for me, and I'll continue to recommend it to anyone who asks, but I simply do not like training grippers all the time. I will take the next couple days off, then see where I am at on the blockweights.

First blockweight workout since KTA....

warmed up with 30, 35, 40 and 42.5

Then took some shots at the 50, got it near lockout. Then I tried a 53 hex that odin sent me. Got it above my knees once. Followed that with several holds with the 42.5...

A good first day back.

I think my hands were a little off today.

Warmed up

47.5 3 attempts both hands got it mid shin all 3 times

42.5 by the face 5 attempts both hands mid-shin or higher on all attempts

2" levering bar. It's about 24 inches long. I did 3x10 with each hand side to side, to the front and to the rear. No additional weight.

Extensors in sand 2 sets

Shot rotations 2 minutes, I will do this intermittenly throughout the day.

Oh, how I have missed the feel of steel bending in my hands!

Soaked hands

Bent 24 TT's

Soaked hands

Didn't want to go too heavy on my first workout back...

Blockweights

47.5 5 attempts

50 5 negatives

Levering same as yesterday

Extensors 2 sets

Shot Rotations throughout day

Blockweights

42.5 5 attempts by the face

50 5 negatives

Levering

Extensors

Shot Rotations

Bending (all bends are full u's)

20 TT's

8 60d polebarn SNAP!

2 carriage bolts

Felt real good the whole way thru'. Need to swing by a hardware soon and stock up on the 1/4 crs.