A Grip Log

Sean Dockery

The 40 is a York round blob. And I have trained consistently with grippers, can lift the 50 and cannot close the #3. Pitiful...

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean Dockery

• austinslater

• pdoire

• Jonathan McMillan

Hands felt poor today. So, I abbreviated the plan

Grippers

10 attempts filed #2

2x5 #1

Extensor 3 sets

With a little rest, your hands will be back as good as new! :happy

You are doing great work!. Keep it up! :rock

Bending

2 TT's

11 6 1/4x1/4 crs

Did the work in a study lounge at OSU with headphones cranking the last Overcome record. Hoorah!

I'm taking the next 3 days off. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No grippers or blockweights. I'll prolly still bend on Sat ;)

Cutting wood on Sat really took it out of me, so no bending. But it's Monday and I'm back in the saddle.

Blockweights

50 10 attempts

40 10 clean attempts (3 succeses right, 1 success left)

Extensors 3 sets

My 500th post!

Grippers

3 attempts SM

10 oc's filed #2

Extensors 3 sets

Bending

6"x1/4 crs

5 3/4 x 1/4 crs for ggbash 4

6 6 1/4 x 1/4 crs

last piece tore thru towel. Gotta get me some kevlar....

Blockweights

50 10 deadlift attempts

40 10 clean attempts

Extensors 3 sets

Grippers

2 attempts SM

10 oc's filed #2

5x5 #1

Extensors 3 sets

Blockweights

50 10 deadlift attempts

40 10 clean attempts

Extensors 3 sets

The Arnold is one week from today. In preparation for that momentous event, I will be reducing my volume even further next week. I will train Blockweights on M and W resting on Tand R. This will let my hands recover completely and the Blob will see some major airtime at the AAAHHHHNALD!

Let us know about your experiences. I hope you have a great time & throw The Blob around a bit.

Thanks guys!

Blockweights

50 10 deadlift attempts

40 10 clean attempts

Extensors 3 sets

Macronan, it looks like you are about to join some select company (see below). :bow

I counted seventeen 50-pound blob lifters in the gripboard records & stats section. I am guessing that there are at least 3 times as many COCs posting here. Lifting The Blob may even be a bigger accomplishment than the #3.

It would be nice if there was some sort of certification for lifting The Blob. I wonder if PDA would do it, since they are selling the loadable Blob (PDA Blobette?) A blob either weighs 50 lbs. or it doesn't, so there is less room for argument than grippers.

It looks like most of the Gripboard's blob lifters are also COCs. It looks like you will be one of the few to get it before closing the #3. Actually, I should say it looks like you are going to be one of the few that lifts The Blob, period!

Richard Sorin

Wade Gillingham

Jim Wylie

David Horne

Heath Sexton

Rob Hayes

Dave Ostlund

Steve McGranahan

Matt Makosky

Rick Walker

Tommy Heslep

Steve Gardener

Jedd Johnson

Jesse Murray

Dan Cenidoza

David Erives

James Smith

Edited by odin

correction: there is a list of Gripboard #3 closers, looks like ~70, so about 4x as many 3-closers as blob-lifters here (that have reported it).

One possibility for there being more #3 closers than York 50 blob lifters is that you can't

get a 50lb blob for $19.99 plus shipping.

One possibility for there being more #3 closers than York 50 blob lifters is that you can't

get a 50lb blob for $19.99 plus shipping.

Good point. Economics rears its ugly head once again.

Thanks for the confidence Odin! And for pointing out how stellar I am! I have really enjoyed my blockweight training and will miss it greatly. I'm going to hop on the KTA bandwagon and knock out the #3 cert. I'll post some vague progress reports and musings on pain here for the next couple months. After my #3 cert I'll be back to an all-around type schedule.

Blockweights

50 4 attempts

Grippers

avg #3 4 attempts

Extensors 3 sets

Blockweights

50 10 deadlift attempts

40 10 clean attempts

Grippers

avg #3 3 attempts

Extensors 3 sets

Last day before the AHNALD! I will most likely make a couple more attempts at the 50 over the course of the day today. Maybe 2 attempts at lunch and 2 attempts at dinner. Don't want to over do it!

Blockweights

50 4 attempts

Grippers

avg #3 4 attempts

Extensors 3 sets

Best wishes at the AHNALD!! You have been training hard, and I know you will do well. I can't wait for the report when you get back! :rock

Ok, I'm sure there will be a nice long report on everything that happened at the AHNALD and the NOS, so I'm just gonna stick to my little part of the story.

Friday I got up and got to the Expo around 11 am. Watched a little Oly Lifting and then saw sixgun and cut in line with him. Wandered around in the Expo for a little while then walked over to the GNC booth and signed up for the Grip Gauntlet. The RT was nasty. 212 and those new handles really are slicker...NO So, I grab the #3 and give it a squeeze. It's about 1/4" from closed. Wade looks at my hand as I'm squeezing and says,"Whoa!" Then he asked if I train with the grippers so I tell him "I'm so and so from the board" He (very politely) acts as if he knows who I am. Now it's time for the BLOB. I chalked up just a little more and squeeze and pull. That sucker was slippery. I horsed around trying to lift it a couple more times, but it was NOT budging. Wade tells me (very politely again) that I was real close and that I'll get it soon. I look at my hands and see black paint from the Blob on them. "Did you just paint that thing?" "Yeah I put a fresh coat of stovepaint on it before coming down here" We compare hands. And I'm off the platform. I walk around the rest of the afternoon pretty ticked (wife edit) that I couldn't get the Blob up. Making excuses the whole time...

Friday night at the NOS....I came back from picking up my wife and training partners to see Mr. Sorin himself standing in the room. I walk over just in time to see him CLEAN Jedd's 55lb hex block. Then at Mr. Sorin's feet I see the Original Blob. My hands started sweating immediately. Slowly over the course of the next 15 minutes I edge closer to the Blob. Then as everyone else is watching Jedd do something awesome, I take a tenative squeeze. My hands were way too wet and just slipped right off. Then I grab a 45 that was sitting right next to the Original and deadlift it. Mr. Sorin saw me lift the 45 and says "You try the Blob?" I say yeah but my hands are too slick. He points me to some chalk. I chalk up. Squeeze. The Blob gets light on the mat. I squeeze and pull again. A little daylight. Mr. Sorin looks at me, "I think you can do that." Then he gets distracted by some bending the Terminator was doing. So I slip off to eat a hot dog.

Round 2...I dl the 45 again and chalk up good. squeeze and pull squeeze and pull Mr. Sorin gives some advice and encouragement squeeze and pull squeeze and pull. It went on like that for about 2 hours. I got it above my knees 3 times total. But did not lock it out. Then finally I was so fried that I couldn't get the 45 up any more. Mr. Sorin said some very nice things to me. And got a picture with me. Then I went home to my bed and my mittens.

The past 2 days I have not been able to pinch anything with out a nice ache in my hands. I did not accomplish my goal in the time frame alotted, but I am actually pleased with where I am on wide pinch and have seen my hands really change in strength, shape and thickness over the past 4 months. As planned I'm going to hit the KTA program and get the #3 cert out of the way, then I'll be back after the Blob and the Inch.

Thanks to all you gripsters for your encouragement! Keep checking in to find out what my best close is on KTA and to see how much my hands are hurting! :(

Great effort, and way to get that blob off the mat!! Congratulations!! :bow

It sounds like an awesome experience, what with getting to meet Mr. Sorin and all. Thanks for the great report. I look forward to reading about your results with KTA! :rock