A Grip Log

Sean Dockery

OK I need to rethink my volume here. In case you haven't noticed there seems to be a drop off in my performance in all aspects of grip right after the workout where I do negatives with my #3. And today is an example of that.

Grippers

10 no set closes with #2 with each hand (felt tough)

Block weights

couldn't budge the 45 called off workout

I'm thinking I'll flip my schedule around. Mon through Thurs will be overcrushes, strapholds and no sets with #2, and Friday will be negatives with #3. That way I'll have a whole weekend to recover. If Austin ever sends me the grippers I'll have some tweeners that I can make attempts at along with the other work.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean Dockery

• austinslater

• pdoire

• Jonathan McMillan

Hands felt terrible this morning. Barely closed #2. Called off workout. Think I'm gonna take today off altogether.

I've learned my lesson :blush or at least I've given up trying to progress on everything at once for now :dry Since I am so close to the Blob I'm gonna get that done. Then I'll do gripper specialization (aka KTA) til I cert on #3 and MME. Then come back and work on the Inch.

Block weights:

Right: 42.5; 5 sec hold, 10 sec hold, 10 sec hold, 5 sec hold. 35; 5 cleans with whole hand. 30; 2 cleans with ring and pinky

Left: 42.5; full dl, 5 sec hold, 5 sec hold, 5 sec hold. 35; 5 cleans with whole hand. 30; 2 cleans with ring and pinky

Levering 3 sets

This AM

Block weights

Right: 42.5; full dl, 5 sec hold, 10 sec hold, 10 sec hold, 5 sec hold, full dl, full dl. 35 with ring and pinky; knee height, knee height, broke off floor. 30 with ring and pinky; 3 cleans

Left: 42.5, full dl, 5 sec hold, 5 sec hold, 5 sec hold, full dl, full dl, full dl. 35 with ring and pinky; knee height, broke off floor, broke off floor. 30 with ring and pinky; 3 cleans

Levering 3 sets

Guest gripmaster316

Macronan, nice workouts, curious, what weight is the hammer you are levering? As well nice job with the block weights. I have tried them before and it is a very humbling experience, my best is a 35 hex with two fingers, couldn't get the 40.

Edited by gripmaster316

It's a 10lb sledge and my hand is about 10 inches from the head when I do side to side rotations. A little further for lifts to front and rear.

I got some nails from Chris Caffery today, and couldn't resist. bent 3 white nails, 3 green nails, and 1 yellow. The yellow took about a half hour. Got it to 25 degrees rested. Got it to 45 degrees rested. Got it to 70 degrees rested. Then U'd it. This bending stuff is fun.

Block weights

Right: 45;got 6 full dls but no hold for time

Left: 45; got 6 full dls but no holds

Tried overhand blob toss with 30. Tough little exercise. 3 sets of about 10 passes

Levering 3 sets choked up on the hammer a little. My wrists were a little sore from bending yesterday.

Tonight I bent 2 whites, 2 greens and 4 40d's. Feel good mentally, but boy my joints are talking to me! Wrists, elbows and shoulders. Called it quits as I've got no intention of hurting myself.

Great work on the nails!! :rock

You are right, this bending stuff is fun, and addictive!

Keep grippin!!

Chris

Thanks for the encouragement Chris!

Blockweights today!

47.5; got a full dl Lefty, then could barely get it off the floor; Right hand kept breaking off floor.

3 sets of 10 overhand blob toss with 30

Levered with my 4lbs

walked past the bending stock. Bent 2 40d's no warm up. Felt good.

Edited by macronan

Thanks Nik.

Well, I didn't think I would be doing anything tonight, but the grippers Austin sent me showed up.

Filed #2 closed

BB Super Master closed

#3 1/4"

#3 1/8"

These are both right and left handed give or take 1/16"

This episode confirms my suspicion. My #3 is HARD. My best attempt ever is parallel. I can barely even set the thing.

It's frickin cold in Ohio today!

Bending

Warmed up with 2 pieces of 6"x3/16 HRS

Then bent 4 pieces of 7"x1/4 HRS These felt easier and easier. I'm going to stay at about this level for a couple weeks to let my tendons catch up.

I'm contemplating a couple attempts at the #3's I just got this evening before bed.

Block Weights

47.5 Right broke off floor 5 times, never got more than 3 inches of air

Left Got to knee height or just below 3 times adn slightly lower 2 times

30 overhand blob toss 16 passes, 14 passes, 14 passes

Levering 4lbs sledge

Guest gripmaster316

It must be cold! It's cold up here in Ontario as well. You must ahve an extremely hard #3 macronan. Getting parallel with it and then trying other #3's and getting 1/8 signifies quite the beast you have in possession. Consider it a good thing!

Edited by gripmaster316

Thanks guys! Yes It's very cold here. This morning it was +1 degrees Farenheit.

I'm going to cert on the hard #3 I have. It's the one I bought first (before I found the g-board, before I knew that grippers varied) and I don't want to take the easy road. A side effect of this is that I will be close to the MME Level 1 at that point since that gripper has been described as a 3.2 or 3.3. But that is a ways off. Must focus on Blob.

Gotta love the comraderie here! :rock

Block weights

45 messed with it til I finally got it to knee height 5 times each hand. Hands were beat. Took about 15-20 attempts each hand before I got my 5 good lifts.

30 overhand blob toss 10 passes, 7 passes, 6 passes

Levered as usual

Block weights and Church what a great combo on a Sunday morning!

47.5 Right broke off floor 3 times, above knee once, below knee twice

Left broke off floor twice, full dl once, knee height twice

30 14 passes, 11 passes, 10 passes

Levering with 10 lbs sledge

Haven't really thought of doing negs with the Blob. Might try them next workout. I'm asuming a neg would be lifting the Blob with both hands then removing the off hand and slowing the fall of the Blob as much as possible. I'll try this tomorrow morning. Perhaps in place of the overhand blob toss. Thanks for the tip.

Should help your hands get accustomed to the weight difference. Good luck buddy and lookin forward to hearing from ya this week :rock

Bending

warmed up with 4 3/16"x6" HRS

then easily u'd 4 1/4"x6 7/8 HRS

I am geting used to the joint pain imediatley after a bending session.

Block weights

45; 5 times off floor each hand (these range from knee height to full dls)

50; 5 negatives each hand

30; overhand blob toss 8 passes, 10 passes, 9 passes

Levering 3 sets 4 lbs hammer

Grippers (all are no set)

1 close with my #2 each hand

1 attempt at filed #2 each hand R 1/8", L 1/4"

1 SM attempt each hand R 1/4", L 1/4"