Blacksmith513 training log

Blacksmith513

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice, 😊 looks interesting 

I like craft beer and i like cheap old school beer.  $16 for a 30 pack. These are real good. My uncle out in NY says it was the beer of the masons out there..  When he takes apart old masonry he always finds them buried in there.  I found a High Life bottle once buried taking apart a retaining wall I know my grandpa built. I saved it. 

• Like 2

Today was sorta a free form day

Ring work, rips, push ups, tricep dips, tricep extensions

Chest Krusher 4 springs 3x3

Introducing Wrist Curls into the mix and canning levering for now

17.5 lbsx 3x3 both hands 

10lbs Sledge pronation and supination

7"x5 8"x5 8"x5 both hands

Rear sledge lever

17"x5 18"x5 18"x5

Light work with the Wrist developer, I dont even remember the sets or reps 

2 sets of sledgehammer finger walks

Zercher Squats singles  105, 110 115 (going to start doing these on Thursdays) but i must be careful until my issue goes away

I did some dynamic pronation and supination with the levertop 3lbs high reps.... It felt good

My rhomboids getting better. Going to keep rehabbing it. This is the 4th time i've had this issue in the past couple years.. I know its from the fall i took years ago.. I don't want it to keep happening. 

• Like 2

2000m 10mins on Rower and 10 minutes of stretching.

Pulled the old washer and dryer out of my parents basement yesterday on a dolly and that got me winded. Used to be able to run up and down stars all day with heavy stuff. Was also 193lbs this morning. My weights gone up again not down.  One job a few years back i spent a good couple hours carrying 2 at a time 60lbs bags of concrete down stairs.  I don't want to work like anymore but i want to get back into that kind of conditioning.

Gonna have to ad some GPP back into the mix, even just sledge swings, kb swings and sandbag carries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

... One job a few years back i spent a good couple hours carrying 2 at a time 60lbs bags of concrete down stairs.  I don't want to work like anymore but i want to get back into that kind of conditioning.

Gonna have to ad some GPP back into the mix, even just sledge swings, kb swings and sandbag carries.

Along the same lines...I was thinking I need to dust off some slam balls (20, 25, 50, and 80lb) I have downstairs.

Saw Brian Alsruhe demonstrate something called a "Teddy Bear Squat" a couple weeks ago and was like...that looks interesting.

Just curious what you do for "sandbag carries"...are you literally picking it and walking around with it or doing squats/lunges in place?  I don't have a lot of space so that's why I'm thinking squats...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Along the same lines...I was thinking I need to dust off some slam balls (20, 25, 50, and 80lb) I have downstairs.

Saw Brian Alsruhe demonstrate something called a "Teddy Bear Squat" a couple weeks ago and was like...that looks interesting.

Just curious what you do for "sandbag carries"...are you literally picking it and walking around with it or doing squats/lunges in place?  I don't have a lot of space so that's why I'm thinking squats...

Yeah I just pick it up and bear hug it for time or shoulder it for time. That alone for 5-10 minutes at the end of my workouts. It’s hard I only have so much time in the morning but I’ll figure something out. 

Look up David Horne doing teddy bear squats with what I think was a 54kg circus dumbbell. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

...  Look up David Horne doing teddy bear squats with what I think was a 54kg circus dumbbell.

Think I found that video..."David Horne 54k DB Teddy Bear Goblet Squat to floor & back up".  That's way, WAY more advanced that what I was thinking.  🤯🧠

I was envisioning seeing which side of my 12" x 14" x 16" plyo box felt "right."  If I went down to the floor I may not make it back up again!  🤪

• Like 2

Ho that makes my knees hurt 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Ho that makes my knees hurt 

Me too John!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Me too John!

With all due respect to many other people in this sport and weight lifting in general.

David Horne is one of the most impressive strength athletes I’ve ever seen. His strength, endurance, flexibility and knowledge.  

that’s what I aspire to be when I’m in 60. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

With all due respect to many other people in this sport and weight lifting in general.

David Horne is one of the most impressive strength athletes I’ve ever seen. His strength, endurance, flexibility and knowledge.  

that’s what I aspire to be when I’m in 60. 

Yeah...if I can grip even remotely like David Horne at 60 (or lift an Inch dumbbell like Odd Haugen at 70 (not for reps like him...just lift it period) I'll be doing AMAZING. 

These legends are still killin' it...  Truly impressive and inspiring individuals.

• Like 3

For sure, 

• Like 2

Ring work, rows, pelican curls, pull ups (on a 2" pipe, it spins and works my wrists i like it), bicep curls, face pulls

NN 2” deadlift

247.5x1 250x1 255x1

Blobtop 

left 18x1 18.5x1 18.75x1 19x1 19x1

right 16x1 16.5x1 17x1 16.5x1 16x1

Crusher thumbless 

100x1 102.5x1 105x10 both hands

as many reps as possible 30 seconds 100lbs

left 4

right 4

Crusher holds

Left 93.75 x10 94.5x10 95x5 seconds

right 93.75x10 94.5x10 95x6seconds

Loadable inch dumbbell gooseneck holds

68.5x10 both hands 69x10 70x10

2.25"crusher thumbless rows and wrist curls with resistance band, off a lally column. 3x15 both hands each move

some bodyweight squats, 2 leg and single leg

Every week getting a little stronger... Didnt have the most energy this morning but it was a good workout.

Did an interesting curl variation on the rings, 1 rep 1 half rep 2 reps 2 half reps 3 reps 3 half reps ect ect

Really gave me a pump.

Off to the scrap yard, maybe to my brothers later. Didn't want to do anything this weekend. My friend is trying to get me to be a Freemason so I gotta get up early tomorrow and check out a Masonic building. Should be interesting but wish i said no.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

Nice work 

killer Deadlifts

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work 

killer Deadlifts

Thanks John! Playing with rep schemes and weight a little every week, seems to be going well. 

Just got back from the scrap yard... Dump truck load.. Was only $96 and we will split it 3 ways but its more money towards my inch and blobs... I  MAY buy the 115lbs inch too. We will see. Then i'd have 115-135-154-180... Roughly plus or minus 20lbs increments  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks John! Playing with rep schemes and weight a little every week, seems to be going well. 

Just got back from the scrap yard... Dump truck load.. Was only $96 and we will split it 3 ways but its more money towards my inch and blobs... I  MAY buy the 115lbs inch too. We will see. Then i'd have 115-135-154-180... Roughly plus or minus 20lbs increments  

Those increments sound awesome.  Manageable but meaningful jumps from one to the next.

In a perfect world I'd need something around 161.5lb to bridge from my 145 to my 178.

For me, 154 seemed just a little too close to 145 to make it worthwhile.  (Or at least that's how I rationalized skipping straight to the full Inch purchase.  hahaha)

• Like 1

Today mobility work, high reps with the sidewinder and sidetwisters and then Indian club work.. 12 minute "core yoga" video, foam rolling  and 20 minutes of stretching

• Like 1

This morning was 15 minute little bodyweight circuit i did

Tonight 

On the rings, ring dips, push ups, assisted 1 arm push ups, tricep dips

4 Springs 3 sets of 5 and then 3 springs 2 sets of 12

Concept 2 rower 5 mins warm up 2000m rowed in 9 minutes and 5mins cool down. I was wiped tonight..

15 minutes of stretching

Would like to work on my row times.  I was pretty tired tonight but even in general they aren't that great unless I really go for it.

• Like 4

Ring work, pull ups, rows, pelican curls face pulls, bicep curls

1 leg squat work

Crusher

102x3 103x3 104x5 105x3 106x3 both hands

3x4 NN pinch

1rm 122.5lbs 2rm 115 3rm 107.5

NN 2”thumbless deadlift

211.5x3 212.5x3 213.5x3

Baby inch band assist deloads holds 6”

7 8 6 seconds

7 7 8 seconds

Baby inch negs 

3x5 both hands 

Changed up my set up for babu inch holds so i'm not picking it up as far now

Started with the 3x4 pinch onNN to find my 1rm 2rm and 3rm

As I was doing that I got a call from my mother, my uncle in Florida has cancer... I'm very close to him and have always admired him. Served 9 years in the Navy, has lived pretty clean and is incredibly successful.  

So not sure how accurate my maxes are for the NN 3x4 as that really has me shook up. All we can do is think positive.. If he needs anything i'll drop whatever im doing to go help out.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 3

Thats too bad about your uncle. hopefully he can beat it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Thats too bad about your uncle. hopefully he can beat it.

Thank you I hope he moves here to Boston  to be with his family and gets the best treatment. But that’s out of my control. All I know is it’s in his lungs and lymph nodes. And they are doing more tests. He never smoked. All I can think of is what he was exposed to in the service. 

• Sad 1

On 1/25/2024 at 7:24 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

I like craft beer and i like cheap old school beer.  $16 for a 30 pack. These are real good. My uncle out in NY says it was the beer of the masons out there..  When he takes apart old masonry he always finds them buried in there.  I found a High Life bottle once buried taking apart a retaining wall I know my grandpa built. I saved it. 

Lived in Portland, Oregon until I retired - so many good beer stores

• Like 2

Nothing wild tonight just 2000m on the rower and 20 minutes of stretching... Between my back and arm feeling beat up. I think next week i'll take a deload. 

I'm proud to say I haven't missed one weight training workout in over a year now... From July 2022 to January last year I didn't miss one until I went Colorado and took the week off.  But since coming back haven't missed one. I'm going to try and keep that going until next time i go away. But when i do end up missing one its ok, life happens.

• Like 2

that’s good way to be consistent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

that’s good way to be consistent 

Theres something to be said for just showing up on some days. It all adds up.. That being said i'm looking forward to taking a couple weeks off when the time is right... But until then.

This morning

Ring work, dips, push ups and 1 arm press i'm calling them (its not quite a 1arm push up), pike push ups, HSPU against wall (really regressed on these some how), tricep dips and tricep extensions

thumbless Pull ups on the steel pipe going through the rings... Gotta measure the diameter, probably 1.5"... It rolls because its in the rings and really works my wrists.  2,2,2,1,1  

KB bottom up press 26lbsx3 35x3x2

Chest Krusher 3 springs held upside down... 3x5

Plate curls

17.5x5 3 sets both hands

10lbs sledge

Curls

9"x5 10"x5 9"x5 both hands

Rear lever

18"x5x3 both hands

Pronated and supinated 

8"x5 both hands

Some sledge finger

Wrist Developer 3 orange spring 5 reps each level up to 3-2  was SO CLOSE to the CROM spring, last year. Now that i'm not bending or levering i wanna get there

Lever top pronation and supination super set

10x5 15x5 20x5 25x3 30x5  each hand then 35x5 supinated 1 set

Zercher squats 

Axle barx8 45x8 55x8 65x8 70x8     

Good workout overall. Didnt go to hard.  I'm going to try and keep the Axle squats to once a week and keep the rep range high for now.

• Like 4