Blacksmith513 training log

Blacksmith513

9 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

What are we making today? Pics?

what classes are you considering?

Just grabbed a handful of 1/4 stock i've bent... Going to straighten them out and practice my tapers, maybe make a few hooks. I'm pretty out of swing of things, but every time i get back into it, i realize theirs stuff i know and learned i forget i even knew. If that makes sense. Last 18 months ive been so focused on grip and bending i put the forging on the back burner, just to avoid overuse injuries.  But that was dumb looking back.  

I'll take a few pics of my shop when i get up there.

Rudiments 4,5,6 its called.. Just more.  From the schools website This is class rudiments 4....

"basics of identifying and learning to heat-treat unknown steel.
- making an eye-punch/maker's mark
- the Square-Octagonal-Round exercise/demonstration-of-skill
- making a welded twisted-basket-motif s-hook".

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the shop

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the shop

Place is a mess, last time i was there is started to move things around. Messed around and made a letter opener with a scroll on the handle.  Practiced a forge weld on fire poker i'm making. I'm either going to clean it up next weekend or cut it off and start over.

IMG_9371.thumb.png.86feeb8259f8d383daecdc2589bb09a9.pngIMG_9369.thumb.png.42ae0f9e307b6c6f33cc39a58dd57a5c.pngIMG_9366.thumb.jpeg.58858b85f7b6045e087d509c8749294d.jpegIMG_9360.thumb.jpeg.4c2ccea3ac88580b22b68299310d6742.jpegIMG_9364.thumb.jpeg.341c2925d739b23b1dd1b5122a47a896.jpeg

IMG_9368.jpeg

IMG_9363.jpeg

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 6

Took 17 hours but i cant say i haven't had a beer all year now

Tonight just some stretching. 

Since we lift anvils in the grip i should talk about mine. The anvil in the back corner is a 230lbs Peter Wright my uncle gave me.

The main anvil on the stump is what I believe to be 300lbs Hay Budden i got off my retired welder friend. Hands down, one of the strongest men i've ever met even when he retired in his late 60s. Used to pick that anvil up himself off the ground and move it himself.  He would have been an amazing gripper and bender. He's 70 now and i bet money untrained he'd put up decent numbers.He told me a couple years ago I was one of the strongest people he's ever worked with. Which meant something.

Not pictured, I also have 80lbs colonial era  anvil,  not worth a ton but sorta rare.  

• Like 5

Hey Joe that’s a supper cool shop. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Crusher

103.5x2 103.75x2 104x2 104.25x2 105x2 both hands

NN 2x5 pinch

140x3 142.5x3 145x3 151x1 152x1

NN 2” thumbless deadlift

210.5x3 212.5x2 211x3

Baby Inch band assisted deload

Baby inch neg 3x3

Chest Krusher 2x3 4 spring

My backs been bothering me off and on and my glutes now... This morning i have a slight burning sensation in my foot which i'm sure means my sciatic nerve could be getting pinched.

Hope it goes away fast. I had severe sciatic nerve issues in my late teens early 20s... Last 7 years it sorta went away, just back issues here and there. But my backs never been great.. 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sciatic nerve problems suck, I have delt with them off and on over the years, no fun.

I hope it heals fast

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John Knowlton said:

Sciatic nerve problems suck, I have delt with them off and on over the years, no fun.

I hope it heals fast

Thanks John. It sucks, that’s why I never got into heavy lifting. But I’ll get through it and continue training regardless 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 4:25 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Place is a mess, last time i was there is started to move things around. Messed around and made a letter opener with a scroll on the handle.  Practiced a forge weld on fire poker i'm making. I'm either going to clean it up next weekend or cut it off and start over.

IMG_9371.thumb.png.86feeb8259f8d383daecdc2589bb09a9.pngIMG_9369.thumb.png.42ae0f9e307b6c6f33cc39a58dd57a5c.pngIMG_9366.thumb.jpeg.58858b85f7b6045e087d509c8749294d.jpegIMG_9360.thumb.jpeg.4c2ccea3ac88580b22b68299310d6742.jpegIMG_9364.thumb.jpeg.341c2925d739b23b1dd1b5122a47a896.jpeg

IMG_9368.jpeg

IMG_9363.jpeg

Amateur (very amateur) myself.  In between marriages I spent the weekends at the local community college learning iron working, welding, and a little smithing (they had gas forges and a power hammer).  Best times of my life. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Amateur (very amateur) myself.  In between marriages I spent the weekends at the local community college learning iron working, welding, and a little smithing (they had gas forges and a power hammer).  Best times of my life. 

That’s pretty awesome. I’ve always wanted to try a power hammer.

I’m pretty amateur myself.  I joined the local blacksmith group but I just don’t gel with most of the members.  They are way to progressive for me to be honest and folksy.

I’m into traditional stuff, wrought iron gates, hardware, strap hinges, being from New England colonial era stuff..… I really appreciate the artist side of it but it’s not my thing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s pretty awesome. I’ve always wanted to try a power hammer.

I’m pretty amateur myself.  I joined the local blacksmith group but I just don’t gel with most of the members.  They are way to progressive for me to be honest and folksy.

I’m into traditional stuff, wrought iron gates, hardware, strap hinges, being from New England colonial era stuff..… I really appreciate the artist side of it but it’s not my thing. 

Was the best experience of my life, man.  They had all the equipment (everything) and all I had to pay was the weekend open credit course fee per semester - was $100 something.   They even had a free couple acre scrapyard on site lol.  

there were two types of people there:  welding certs and artists 😂. The whole scrapyard was full of gym equipment metal nobody was using.  My first project was a welding fab table built out of 7g 3x3 and a 5/8” 4’ x 5’ plate top (laser cut too lol - was just rusting away).  Squat stands, sleds, etc

• Like 1

I actually felt so bad for using so much metal I donated my two burner forge and hammers I’d made to the program when I left 😂

PS: they caught in quickly and it’s no longer like that

• Like 1

15mins on the rower and 20 minutes of stretching tonight.

time for a couple beers 

• Like 3

2h Levering

20x3 20.5x3 21x3

10lbs sledge curls 

8"x5 8"x5 9"x5 both hands

Rear lever 

16"x5 16"x5 17"x5 both hands

Pronation and supination  

6"x5 7"x5 7"x5 both hands

2 sets of sledgehammer finger walks

Wrist Developer orange spring

levels 1-1,2-1,1-2 3 reps each hand levels 2-2,2-3,3-2 2 reps  level 3-3,4-3,3-4 1 Rep   

Levertop holds with ball bearing for stability

pronation

10x10 seconds 12.5x10 seconds 15x10 seconds

Supination

20x10 seconds 22.5x10 seconds 25x10 seconds

Those weights where light and easy, gonna stick with holds with the ball bearing, keeps the weight down and is more strict.

Chest Expander Overhand pull aparts, back press and reverse flys. Worked up to  sets with 5 and 6 springs

Also did some various  calisthenics 

Really dropped the weight on the 2h levering and will work my way back up again. 

My back is feeling a little better today. Last night when i was stretching something popped from my mid back to my glute down to my knee, but it didn't hurt. I really think it was from the last job I was on. I managed to put on 20lbs and obviously put on some muscle as my body composition hasn't really changed, except i look a little more muscular and i'm still a 33" waist.  But i'm debating on dropping back down to 170lbs for a while.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Gymnastic rings, rows, pull ups, face pulls, pelican curls and bicep curls... Working on learning some new moves

2”nn deadlift

240x3 242.5x3 250x3

Blobtop

left 17x1 17.5x1 18x1 18x1 18x1 17.5x1

right 15.5x1 16x1 16.5x1 17x1 17.5x1 17.5x1

Crusher thumbless

97x2 98x2 99x2 both hands

Crusher Holds

Left 91.5x8 91.5x9  91.5x10seconds

Right 91.5x10 92x8 92x7 seconds

Loadable inch handle gooseneck holds

65.5x10 66x10 66.5x10 both hands 

Axle Rows 

114x5 134x3 144x3 149x3

cool down, extensor bands and sidewinder. 

Back and glutes are a little better. 

off to celebrate my little dudes 1st bday IMG_9097.thumb.jpeg.a60f2c2045804a3b9e63617e85db3ae4.jpegIMG_9324.thumb.png.20b0b3c6809028f067fa47d6d403ff2d.png

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 5

Looks like he wants some of your Beer

• Like 2

Trying something different, going to do a couple "push' days a week, mainly with my gymnastic rings

Ring dips, ring push ups, pike pushups, tricep dips a tricep extensions...  Plus more focused work with the Chest Krusher and handstand pushups..  

So I messed around with that stuff this morning and did 2000m on the rower.

This is just to balance things out better. Went pretty light because slightly changing the grip workouts too and I want my hands to be fresh tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Gymnastic rings, row, pull ups, curls, pelican curls, face pulls (just figuring out form proper ring heights I want to work at before really counting reps and sets

Crusher singles

105x1 107x1 109x1 111x1 113x1 both hands

NN 2x5” pinch 

145x3 147.5x3 150x3 152.5x1 157.5x1

NN 2” thumbless deadlift

212.5x2 215x2 216.5x2

Baby inch band assisted holds 10" 

left 9" 9" 10"

right8"9"  10"

had some technical difficulties with the electric winch so couldn't set resistance as high as usual but still all relative 

baby inch negs

3 sets of 5 each hand 

Chest Expander, few different moves with 5 and 6 springs 

This was the lightest the baby inch has ever felt on the negatives.. I'm "inching" closer every week, or you could say taking baby steps.

REAL tempted to buy the 145lbs baby inch from Gods of Grips but i'd prefer one in the 155lbs range.. 

Would of liked to do some zercher squats and flask holds but ran out of time

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 4

nice work on the deadlift

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Baby inch band assisted holds 10" 

left 9" 9" 10"

right8"9"  10"

had some technical difficulties with the electric winch so couldn't set resistance as high as usual but still all relative 

baby inch negs

3 sets of 5 each hand 

This was the lightest the baby inch has ever felt on the negatives.. I'm "inching" closer every week, or you could say taking baby steps.

REAL tempted to buy the 145lbs baby inch from Gods of Grips but i'd prefer one in the 155lbs range.. 

I faced a similar dilemma...Gods of Grip 145 or Holle 154.  Personally, I went with the 145 partly due to price and partly because mathematically it feel right between the 172lb full Inch and the 117lb Baby Inch I had from Heavy Hands.

It's a very nice bell.  Just the packing and shipping left a lot to be desired.  Still surprised it arrived safely.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.  They're both a logical next (baby) step as you "inch" closer to a full replica.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I faced a similar dilemma...Gods of Grip 145 or Holle 154.  Personally, I went with the 145 partly due to price and partly because mathematically it feel right between the 172lb full Inch and the 117lb Baby Inch I had from Heavy Hands.

It's a very nice bell.  Just the packing and shipping left a lot to be desired.  Still surprised it arrived safely.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.  They're both a logical next (baby) step as you "inch" closer to a full replica.

Yup and I don’t really need another one. I should be able to get there without it. The 154 from Nathan Holle might be better suited for me as halfway between the inch and baby inch.

The Crusher is lbs for lbs very similar to the inch and I have a Loadable handle. But it’s nice drilling with actually inches. Plus I just want more of them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup and I don’t really need another one. I should be able to get there without it. The 154 from Nathan Holle might be better suited for me as halfway between the inch and baby inch.

The Crusher is lbs for lbs very similar to the inch and I have a Loadable handle. But it’s nice drilling with actually inches. Plus I just want more of them.

TOTALLY GET IT!!!  If I had the funds, I would own both.

And yes, the real thing is the ideal thing when it comes to training to lift the Inch.  @Jedd Johnson made that point clear in a number of his videos.

Sooooo...I took his advice and skipped the 154.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

The FBBC Pro Dumbbell handle with the bolts tightened feels the same as an Inch. I trained on nothing but my Pro DB's and lifted the Inch the first time I touched one. They are mostly ignored for some reason. I paid less than $.50/lb for the plates by shopping Craigslist and FB Marketplace for people dumping their dumbbell sets. I bought two of the handles so I could warm up properly. I can't recommend that piece of equipment enough. Andrew Durniat said good things about them as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I was going to use a Crusher to train for the Inch I would include wrist wrench training every time I trained on the Crusher. The Crusher will not efficiently get you strong enough to lift the Inch.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

The FBBC Pro Dumbbell handle with the bolts tightened feels the same as an Inch. I trained on nothing but my Pro DB's and lifted the Inch the first time I touched one. They are mostly ignored for some reason. I paid less than $.50/lb for the plates by shopping Craigslist and FB Marketplace for people dumping their dumbbell sets. I bought two of the handles so I could warm up properly. I can't recommend that piece of equipment enough. Andrew Durniat said good things about them as well.

I've thought about picking one of those up and doing the same.   Its a great tool to have regardless.

23 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

If I was going to use a Crusher to train for the Inch I would include wrist wrench training every time I trained on the Crusher. The Crusher will not efficiently get you strong enough to lift the Inch.

i do have a wrist wrench but never used it. I've got Jedd coaching me lift the inch also, so whatever he says I follow and me make adjustments accordingly. 

21 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

TOTALLY GET IT!!!  If I had the funds, I would own both.

And yes, the real thing is the ideal thing when it comes to training to lift the Inch.  @Jedd Johnson made that point clear in a number of his videos.

Sooooo...I took his advice and skipped the 154.

Yeah, we will see. Right now I don't need either one. I really might move in the next year or two and less gear the better. I could take a job in Elmira NY with my uncle doing construction. They treat him like a king. 

Only thing stopping me is long story short I've been the caretaker of an elderly couple since i was 17.. And wont move or even think about it until she passes.  The husband passed in June and they became like family.  She's has no family in this country and has dementia now. Its to the point she actually thinks i'm a blood relative now and speaks to me in Greek even though i'm about the furthest thing from Greek.  Then of course I see my nephews and those little bastards🤣 makes me wanna stay too. So right now i'm not doing anything.

• Like 4