Blacksmith513 training log

Blacksmith513

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah it was light, but I did something to my lower back/ glute at work and I didn’t want to push it. I’ve actually never done get ups with a sandbag but it really works the core.

That makes sense. Yeah that's a good weight for get ups. Might have to try them (and fail) with my 105.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

That makes sense. Yeah that's a good weight for get ups. Might have to try them (and fail) with my 105.

I think anything over 100 is pretty strong.

thursday night beer and pizza.. only two slices of pizza and two beers. I'm a shell of my former self

few hundred swings with 5lbs indian clubs and 15 minutes of yoga. Abs are sore from bending today. That 5.5x1/4crs killed me.

• Like 2

45mins 9000m C2 10 minutes yoga... would have loved to kept rowing 

• Like 1

@matek @Londonjoseph

I was looking at the steel calibration chart. Is a 5.5”x1/4 crs really rated at 365lbs? 

It took me a couple minutes but I did reverse it and probably to roughly 40 degrees before I crushed it.

If that’s the case I’m wondering if my 60d brights are more than that because I can still only kink them reverse style. I know it’s far from a high level bend but I’m really happy with my progression.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

@matek @Londonjoseph

I was looking at the steel calibration chart. Is a 5.5”x1/4 crs really rated at 365lbs? 

It took me a couple minutes but I did reverse it and probably to roughly 40 degrees before I crushed it.

If that’s the case I’m wondering if my 60d brights are more than that because I can still only kink them reverse style. I know it’s far from a high level bend but I’m really happy with my progression.

It can definitely rate that high, and at 5.5 inches, that sounds about right. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

It can definitely rate that high, and at 5.5 inches, that sounds about right. 

Thank you. I’ve still got a long way to go but I’m pretty proud. It was a 6” bar cut down from FBBC. 

maybe all those months early on I was doing 60ds and 1/4 drill rod in iron mind pads with pads touching paid off. This was in suedes.

Now I don’t care much for certs personally but I don’t consider a piece of steel mastered until I’m doing it in irondmind pads with wraps touching. So I still have work to do. 

Edited by Blacksmith513

2 and 2 as long as you had fun

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

@matek @Londonjoseph

That's a great bend. For me, below 6", reverse is getting a little bit uncomfortable😅

The short version is that yes, it would rate around 340-370 depending on the steel (can be lower/higher, but you understand). 
The longer version: 
In my opinion (and actually some other people's as well), if we treat steel rating as a metric that reflects the human-perceived difficulty of bending the bar to 30 degrees, the ratings are only comparable at the same length. If it would be comparable at different lengths, a couple of people would be already bending 5/16" x 7" 12.9/ hard G8 bolts DO and even DU (including me). That's not the case of course. This is just a thing to keep in mind when you're planning what to bend at the next session. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, matek said:

That's a great bend. For me, below 6", reverse is getting a little bit uncomfortable😅

The short version is that yes, it would rate around 340-370 depending on the steel (can be lower/higher, but you understand). 
The longer version: 
In my opinion (and actually some other people's as well), if we treat steel rating as a metric that reflects the human-perceived difficulty of bending the bar to 30 degrees, the ratings are only comparable at the same length. If it would be comparable at different lengths, a couple of people would be already bending 5/16" x 7" 12.9/ hard G8 bolts DO and even DU (including me). That's not the case of course. This is just a thing to keep in mind when you're planning what to bend at the next session. 

Yup, no pieces of steel are the same and ratings only mean so much. That’s half the fun. 

Bolts,nails, dr or crs they all offer their own challenge.

• Like 1

Ratings are always good for a general idea of how hard the piece is, not true calibration imo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Bolts,nails, dr or crs they all offer their own challenge.

1 hour ago, Londonjoseph said:

Ratings are always good for a general idea of how hard the piece is, not true calibration imo.

Well, yes, that's the other thing 😅... especially if you do DO or braced to sub 2", the rating at 30 degrees doesn't tell even half of the story.
But what I meant is that let's say exactly from the same type of CRS, from the same supplier, the same batch (just rolled to different diameters), if I can bend a 5/16" at 5" to 30 degrees, it doesn't mean at all that I can bend a 3/8" at 7" to 30 degrees; although the ratings at 30 degrees would be very similar. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, matek said:

Well, yes, that's the other thing 😅... especially if you do DO or braced to sub 2", the rating at 30 degrees doesn't tell even half of the story.
But what I meant is that let's say exactly from the same type of CRS, from the same supplier, the same batch (just rolled to different diameters), if I can bend a 5/16" at 5" to 30 degrees, it doesn't mean at all that I can bend a 3/8" at 7" to 30 degrees; although the ratings at 30 degrees would be very similar. 

yup

I just went to HD they where running low on the 40d brights and 60d brights... At 17 cents a piece i bought all they had... 

90 40ds and 37 more 60ds... I wonder if theres another bender because I always eye the bins and they normally dont sell. 🤣   

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 3

you should put a not in the bin

• Like 1

Hindu squats, hindu pu and HSPU progression 

2 3/8"Loadable Dumbbell lift
Left and right
80 x 2                        
82.5 x 2                    
82.5 x 2
80 x 2 
80 x2

Level Negatives
Left and right
81 x 5 
82 x 5 
83 x 5

RGT Holds 
75 x_ 9 seconds
75.25x 10 seconds
75.5x 10 seconds

Right
75 x10 seconds
75.25 x 10 seconds
75.5 x 10 

RGT Thumbless Deadlifts

Left and right
76x 2 
78.5 x  2
81 x  2

NN2" Handle 1 rep max   was in a rush and sorta supersetted these for lack of better words.. Maybe my 1 rep would be a little higher for each lift

240lbsx1

Thumbless

200lbs x1

Weighted ring pull ups bw+ 5lbs

3 sets of 5

44lbs kettle bell Overhead Press 4,4,3

Ring Dips 5,5,4,3

2 3/8 loadable handle rows

60lbs 3 sets of 4 each hand

Chest Krusher 4 springs bottom position 2,3,2,1

Extensor bands, sidewinder and sledge rotations

Happy Easter weekend everybody

• Like 5

Way cool Saturday workout.

Happy Easter

Sunday funday up at 4am watched Smokey and the Bandit   

listening to Jerry Reed this session

600 swings with 5lbs clubs 300 each hand

Ivanko Gripper sets of 3-5 didn't track levels but probably just warm up levels for you gripper guys

WD2 left and right

2-2 10 second rep

2-3 10 second rep

3-2 10 second rep 

3-2 10 second rep

3-3 10 second rep

Reverse-snap

1/4x6 G2 3:42 seconds   sorta hurt my left arm during the bend... now 10 minutes of yoga

• Like 5

Smokey and the Bandit way cool 😎 

fantastic Sunday morning workout. 

11 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Sunday funday up at 4am watched Smokey and the Bandit   

listening to Jerry Reed this session

600 swings with 5lbs clubs 300 each hand

Ivanko Gripper sets of 3-5 didn't track levels but probably just warm up levels for you gripper guys

WD2 left and right

2-2 10 second rep

2-3 10 second rep

3-2 10 second rep 

3-2 10 second rep

3-3 10 second rep

Reverse-snap

1/4x6 G2 3:42 seconds   sorta hurt my left arm during the bend... now 10 minutes of yoga

Nice reverse snap!
Where did you hurt yourself? Biceps? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matek said:

Nice reverse snap!
Where did you hurt yourself? Biceps? 

Thanks, from my lat, down to to tri and bi....  Not too bad, it happens every few months bending and its always the left side. I had a pretty bad strain years ago, in the same place. It took forever to heal and its never been quite the same. 

• Like 1

Concept 2 5min warm up 5x250m 1min rest 5 min cooldown averaged 1min 5 seconds level 5  

10 minutes yoga.. Pants are getting tighter so I must be gaining weight. Whats funny is my sister thought i looked thinner.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks, from my lat, down to to tri and bi....  Not too bad, it happens every few months bending and its always the left side. I had a pretty bad strain years ago, in the same place. It took forever to heal and its never been quite the same. 

Oh I see. I hope it will go away fast this time. 
I only experience elbow problems from reverse, but sometimes if I hit the bar (or the elbow developer 😂) very fast, my biceps don't like it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, matek said:

Oh I see. I hope it will go away fast this time. 
I only experience elbow problems from reverse, but sometimes if I hit the bar (or the elbow developer 😂) very fast, my biceps don't like it. 

Thank you. I was rushing and didn’t wrap the wraps tight enough and it slipped and I came out of “alinement”. I’m going to try doing a few sets with the WD every Sunday with slow reps. I need to build up my hitting power with reverse.

• Like 2

Levertop, blob top, suedes and a few rated bars. I love the levertop. That’s going to be a great piece to develop wrist strength. I’m excited to start using both.

0B67ECCB-3DD3-4508-A43C-7C3816FD5ACE.jpeg

BBCE7F30-F5BB-4342-8436-A0C904CEB511.jpeg

• Like 5

Seeing the baby carrier in the background...that's a whole other level of grip training!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1