Blacksmith513 training log

Blacksmith513

6 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Seeing the baby carrier in the background...that's a whole other level of grip training!

🤣Yeah you’re not kidding…that’s my bros kid.  He’s too cute. I let my sibling’s have the kids. I’m the fun uncle.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

🤣Yeah you’re not kidding…that’s my bros kid.  He’s too cute. I let my sibling’s have the kids. I’m the fun uncle.

"Fun uncle" is awesome!

• Like 1

WAY TO BE FUN UNCLE

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

WAY TO BE FUN UNCLE

Thanks I really try my best. All kidding aside i'd really like to have a kid but I just haven't not found one worth having a kid with.  

I had a lot of fun messing around with the new grip tools this afternoon. Tonight i'm going to do some stretching and go for a little walk.

• Like 2

Good workout this morning but my pinch is 5lbs down it feels light

warm up HSPU progression (i'm slowly getting there, lost a lot of time last year when i had that thing removed from scalp)

hindu pushup and squat

RGT  left and right  1 rep

88.75 felt glued to the floor waited few minutes and got it both hands easily

2"NN handle thumbless

150x3

160x3

170x3

2x5 Pinch

137.5x2

136x3

136.25x2

135.75x3

136x3

138x1

had to drop to 136.25x1

Inch band deloads holds @5"

Left 2,4,5seconds

Right 2,4,3

Inch negatives 3 sets of 3 both hands

weighed pull ups bw+7.5lbs 3x3

put my 56lbs sandbag in a new bag, felt different killed my core (i'm going to call it 55lbs i like even numbers 

Zercher squats 2,1,1,1

OHP w/55lbs bag 3,1

160lbs sandbag rows 3x3

Chest Krusher 1,3,3  

Bloptop holds   

10lbs 5seconds x2

11.25 5seconds x2 both hands  

these felt light, i'd like to see my max but today wasn't the day... I like how it works the thumb... I think it will be beneficial for me in lifting the inch as long as I don't ever do it.

cool down, sidewinder and extensor bands

lower back a little sore did something last week so going real easy with the sandbags starting out. I'm not in pain, its just tight.  I've lost a lot of strength with them but I also feel my form a lot more proper now...  I think in a few weeks i'll be squatting that bag like nothing.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 6

tough day of work Came home did

250 sledge swings  125 each side

100 w/16

100 1h swings with 8lbs

50 1h swings with 10lbs

5 lbs indian clubs 100 each side swings

20minutes of yoga

will go for a walk after dinner

• Like 4

30mins Concept 2 5500m 10 minutes of yoga.

I can't get into all that chanting and ommm crap they try and make you do with yoga but if you can look past that the stretching has been so beneficial for me.  I could never touch my toes without bending my knees, me, my brother or sister.  

Now I can lock my knees back and touch the floor and anytime i'm sore and achy from work 20 minutes and i feel pain free and energized.. You all should give it a go.

• Like 3

Final piece came today. I ordered the new Chest Expander from Baraban back in January. It took a long time, sent me a gripper 160 and wooden handles.

I really like the old time strongman equipment and figured this would be great for shoulder and upper back development. Can’t wait to use it tomorrow.

ACB86F65-1C64-4666-878D-C20616720E1A.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

30mins Concept 2 5500m 10 minutes of yoga.

I can't get into all that chanting and ommm crap they try and make you do with yoga but if you can look past that the stretching has been so beneficial for me.  I could never touch my toes without bending my knees, me, my brother or sister.  

Now I can lock my knees back and touch the floor and anytime i'm sore and achy from work 20 minutes and i feel pain free and energized.. You all should give it a go.

Have you ever tried Yin Yoga? It’s basically holding poses for 3-5 full minutes while deep breathing, and it works wonders for flexibility and relaxation. An hour before bed will lead to some amazing sleep. 

Also, the best thing I have found for my hammies is the “Elephant Walk,” which I found from the Knees Over Toes guy, but I’m not sure who thought of it first. I’ve always been super flexible (I guess that’s the trade-off for not being strong), but doing the elephant walk every once in a while, I can routinely bend over and touch my forehead to my knee caps with straight legs. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Final piece came today. I ordered the new Chest Expander from Baraban back in January. It took a long time, sent me a gripper 160 and wooden handles.

I really like the old time strongman equipment and figured this would be great for shoulder and upper back development. Can’t wait to use it tomorrow.

Looks awesome!  Let us know how you like it.

• Like 1

Alex Leonidas is a fitness youtuber I have followed in the past and he loves the chest expander. I think there is a lot of value in some of the old school training tools and they are making a comeback. Old time strongman/bodybuilders were crazy strong and I think there is value is understanding training tools and methods they used. 

You might like to see some of the gains some of the old school bodybuilders had just using the chest expander. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Have you ever tried Yin Yoga? It’s basically holding poses for 3-5 full minutes while deep breathing, and it works wonders for flexibility and relaxation. An hour before bed will lead to some amazing sleep. 

Also, the best thing I have found for my hammies is the “Elephant Walk,” which I found from the Knees Over Toes guy, but I’m not sure who thought of it first. I’ve always been super flexible (I guess that’s the trade-off for not being strong), but doing the elephant walk every once in a while, I can routinely bend over and touch my forehead to my knee caps with straight legs. 

Yes I have.. I mainly do 10-30 minutes a day. I have a few channels i follow on youtube and typically pick something based on what my body needs that day. I do sleep real great after yin yoga before bed. It really calms me down and my body feels amazing after. I'm far from being that flexible. I'm naturally wicked tight, just watch my videos..

1 hour ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Alex Leonidas is a fitness youtuber I have followed in the past and he loves the chest expander. I think there is a lot of value in some of the old school training tools and they are making a comeback. Old time strongman/bodybuilders were crazy strong and I think there is value is understanding training tools and methods they used. 

You might like to see some of the gains some of the old school bodybuilders had just using the chest expander. 

Yeah I heard about it and then found this video.  I really like the Chest Krusher and this is going to compliment it nicely. It also seems like it works the muscles used in DO bending.  

I am going to use a bodybuilding approach with them. I'm not expecting to look like Steve Reeves, but if I could put a little size on with these that would be nice.

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Looks awesome!  Let us know how you like it.

I will!

• Like 1

tonight workout.. walk with my nephews. post recovery meal. one burger, one hot dog, 2 beers.

Will do some stretching tonight. Going to give the Chest Expander a go tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yes I have.. I mainly do 10-30 minutes a day. I have a few channels i follow on youtube and typically pick something based on what my body needs that day. I do sleep real great after yin yoga before bed. It really calms me down and my body feels amazing after. I'm far from being that flexible. I'm naturally wicked tight, just watch my videos..

Yeah, but I’d much rather be strong ha. 

Have you found anything good for upper body? I don’t search out things too often, but when I find stuff, it’s usually lower body/hip-centric. 

Really like this Chest Expander... great for in between sets.. Works  the upper back great. Not sure of moves i did so just calling it did Chest Expander stuff today

Hindu squats and push ups

WD2 Organge spring 1 rep all the way up to 4-3... Then 3-4 for 2 reps both hands

2h Levering 

15lbs 3x3

2 sandbag get ups each side 55lbs

DO bending suedes

6"x1/4"CRS 26 seconds

6x.2625 DR 2min 15 seconds got down to 4" could not crush. I could have if i really tried but was afraid becasue of injury last Sunday

60d 12 seconds

Reverse

6"x1/4 DR 31 seconds

6x1/4DR 38 seconds

6x1/4 CRS 46 seconds

ISO 60d bright Reverse and DO

3 sets of 7 seconds DO

3 sets Left and right reverse 7 seconds

just havent had it in me to DO a 60d bright again.

Messed around with lever top both hands

10lbs2

15lbsx2

20lbsx2

2 160lbs sandbag carries 10 seconds

Sidetwister and extensor bands

i'm really beat from today.But really happy with my progress. I highly reccomend the Chest Expander.. It works stuff that i've never worked. Hopefully will fix some imbalances. 

• Like 5

nice work today

• Thanks 1

Really like this Chest Expander... great for in between sets.. Works  the upper back great. Not sure of moves i did so just calling it did Chest Expander stuff today

Hindu squats and push ups

WD2 Organge spring 1 rep all the way up to 4-3... Then 3-4 for 2 reps both hands

2h Levering 

15lbs 3x3

2 sandbag get ups each side 55lbs

DO bending suedes

6"x1/4"CRS 26 seconds

6x.2625 DR 2min 15 seconds got down to 4" could not crush. I could have if i really tried but was afraid becasue of injury last Sunday

60d 12 seconds

Reverse

6"x1/4 DR 31 seconds

6x1/4DR 38 seconds

6x1/4 CRS 46 seconds

ISO 60d bright Reverse and DO

3 sets of 7 seconds DO

3 sets Left and right reverse 7 seconds

just havent had it in me to DO a 60d bright again.

Messed around with lever top both hands

10lbs2

15lbsx2

20lbsx2

2 160lbs sandbag carries 10 seconds

Sidetwister and extensor bands

i'm really beat from today.But really happy with my progress. I highly reccomend the Chest Expander.. It works stuff that i've never worked. Hopefully will fix some imbalances. 

Nice volume!
DR is a pain in the butt, but it really helps to progress.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, matek said:

Nice volume!
DR is a pain in the butt, but it really helps to progress.

Yeah.  Thank you. I’m really happy with my bending. I’m getting more comfortable with the next level on the WD too. I like to stick to a certain level for a long time then move up. Keeps the elbows happy and it’s been working for me. I think in a month or two I’ll be using the CROM.

here’s a video from earlier. Was supposed to be DR but I misread my log for the week https://youtube.com/shorts/dyGA2fdFwRs?feature=share

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah.  Thank you. I’m really happy with my bending. I’m getting more comfortable with the next level on the WD too. I like to stick to a certain level for a long time then move up. Keeps the elbows happy and it’s been working for me. I think in a month or two I’ll be using the CROM.

here’s a video from earlier. Was supposed to be DR but I misread my log for the week https://youtube.com/shorts/dyGA2fdFwRs?feature=share

Great! Although I don't do DO, it looks like your form is getting better!

It's hard to compare the WD2 springs because they behave so differently. Recently I've used the CROM biweekly for heavy stuff, but I use the Orange spring every week (I just don't log it). Before doing any reverse bends, I always do (1-1) (2-2) (3-3) for 10 reps, (4-4) and (5-5) for 5 reps, and (6-6) for 3 reps as a warmup. It might seem a little bit excessive, but bending feels so much better after this. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Yeah, but I’d much rather be strong ha. 

Have you found anything good for upper body? I don’t search out things too often, but when I find stuff, it’s usually lower body/hip-centric. 

Yes, but off hand I can’t remember which ones. I’ll try and see if I can find them. Most of them seem to focus on lower body. Try out this one. There’s a few upper body ones in there. But it’s predominantly lower back and ham strings.

150 swings. 100 8lbs 50 10lbs  Miller time 

image.jpg

• Like 6

Cheers!  🍻

• Like 1

Concept 2 5min warm up 10 rounds 30 seconds 1 min rest 5 min cool down which was actually a fast pace

10 minutes yoga

Nice day to dig a trench.

• Like 4

HAPPY FRIDAY

have a great day. hand digging is a good workout

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1