Blacksmith513 training log

Blacksmith513

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

nice workout today,

your mom is right

Moms are always right.  But whatever i had has run its course, just lingering a little. I should have gone 2 weeks ago, gotten an inhaler and antibiotic and would have been fully recovered. 

• Like 1

Glad to know the deload is going well. I feel you probably know your body best, I understand the hesitation to want to go to the doctor I am very much like that. I have to remind myself it's usually best to have the peace of mind that everything is ok and not let something that could be treated early get worse. 

Looking forward to see how your strength rebounds after a light week. Will give me motivation to start mine soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Glad to know the deload is going well. I feel you probably know your body best, I understand the hesitation to want to go to the doctor I am very much like that. I have to remind myself it's usually best to have the peace of mind that everything is ok and not let something that could be treated early get worse. 

Looking forward to see how your strength rebounds after a light week. Will give me motivation to start mine soon.

Thank you... Yes it will come back.. Work has also been very stressful and I know that its some of it as well, stress can affect recovery.

tonight 250 swings each arm with 5lbs Indian clubbell. Dont know the names, just stuff you think youd do with them

20 minutes yoga

• Like 3

Way cool😎stuff 

• Thanks 1

15 minute yoga practice. Should have rowed this morning. I forgot i'm going out to eat with my nephews and parents tonight.

• Like 3

@John Knowlton meant to post these last week. Since your a gear head was up at my uncles in Maine the other day and took these pics. This just first floor.

A9B2B1F7-6709-4195-B4AB-E9DB9FDDBEBA.jpeg

DCF542E3-6DEF-476E-8C4A-B7458A20DEAF.jpeg

A9A258AD-DFFC-4425-A534-5A8C2618EE8F.jpeg

9E601CE5-409C-4728-AC2E-B2E7FCF224BD.jpeg

• Like 7

That is the coolest garage I've seen in a very long time...

• Thanks 1

This is the stuff that dreams are made of. I sent these pictures to my oldest boy who has a 27,28 and a 30 roadster first thing he said was that's bad a## where is he at?

• Thanks 1

Is this the same uncle that has the Tractor and fuel tanker.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

That is the coolest garage I've seen in a very long time...

Thank you. Yes, it is. I'll snap pics of the basement next time im there.

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

This is the stuff that dreams are made of. I sent these pictures to my oldest boy who has a 27,28 and a 30 roadster first thing he said was that's bad a## where is he at?

Hes in Maine, you and your sons are welcome to come visit any time.  That convertible in the top pic, is a 32 Ford Phaeton with a V8 all original. He bought it from original owners up in Maine was stored in a garage since 1948. Very rare and worth a fortune. Some of motors he has are worth 10-20k. He's not even rich, this is just from buying and selling all these years.  He just bought that Willys pickup.

That one in the 3rd pic is a 1934 coupe was in magazines back in the 60s, I typed in the owners name on my phone, found his address and we knocked on his door, few years later he bought it.  The one next to it is his own, he's chopped channeled, did all the body work. Its all NOS chrome. I hope to own that one someday, not only because its awesome, but he built.  I'll see if i have a better picture of it.

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Is this the same uncle that has the Tractor and fuel tanker.

Yup!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This morning deload

WD2 Orange Spring 5 reps 1-1,  2-1, 1-2, 2-2 ,2-3, 3-2, 3-3   Didn't want to go higher. Strength is better today, but my endurance is still not there. 

Sledge levering 14lbs 

5 sets 20"x3 reps 

All bending done in suedes 

DO

60d timber tie 12 seconds

60d timber tie 7 seconds

60d galv 8 seconds

Reverse

60d galv  11 seconds

40d bright 18 seconds

40d bright wraps touching 19 seconds

2x3 ring dips  these are way harder when you turn your hands out

Sidewinder and Sidetwister

I like these 40d brights... Easy to kink but slightly challenging to crush.. Home Depot sells them and the 60dbrights for 17cents a piece. Almost free. I'm going back to buy more.

I'm thinking about training to lift the blob instead of the inch for now. I could be wrong but I honestly think if I cut out inch work, and use either RGT or 2 3/8 loadable handle not both, train for the blob and focus on getting my strength up in general I'll still end up lifting the inch in roughly the same time frame. 

I'll talk to Jedd on Tuesday, not giving up on my goals but i've learned A LOT since July and i think you gotta evolve.  Lifting the inch is a very specific goal and like I said, I feel i need to focus on getting strength up and just getting stronger with thick bar.. Plus I really like pinch, especially 2x5, feels natural and i wonder if thats from working with lumber every day.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 4

Great workout!

13 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

2x3 ring dips  these are way harder when you turn your hands out

Just the fact that it's ring dips already makes it harder than regular dips. When I did gymnastics a little bit in my teens, we had to do it both on parallel bars and rings, and the stabilization factor made ring dips much harder.

38 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm thinking about training to lift the blob instead of the inch for now. I could be wrong but I honestly think if I cut out inch work, and use either RGT or 2 3/8 loadable handle not both, train for the blob and focus on getting my strength up in general I'll still end up lifting the inch in roughly the same time frame. 

I'll talk to Jedd on Tuesday, not giving up on my goals but i've learned A LOT since July and i think you gotta evolve.  Lifting the inch is a very specific goal and like I said, I feel i need to focus on getting strength up and just getting stronger with thick bar.. Plus I really like pinch, especially 2x5, feels natural and i wonder if thats from working with lumber every day.

Why not, especially if you like pinching. 🙂 Happy blobbin!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm assuming there would be a lot of carryover.  And what you lift over your lifetime affects what you lift in sport.

So if open hand and thick bar feels natural, maybe the blob is well-suited to the strengths/abilities you've developed from working with lumber every day.  I'd say go for it if you want to do it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, matek said:

Great workout!

Just the fact that it's ring dips already makes it harder than regular dips. When I did gymnastics a little bit in my teens, we had to do it both on parallel bars and rings, and the stabilization factor made ring dips much harder.

Why not, especially if you like pinching. 🙂 Happy blobbin!

Thank you.. Ring pushups and rows i did for many years, I suck at pull ups but i've slowly gotten better at them.  Ring dips aren't to hard but this morning i tried them and its way harder when you turn your hands out.   We will see, the inch is still my main goal.

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I'm assuming there would be a lot of carryover.  And what you lift over your lifetime affects what you lift in sport.

So if open hand and thick bar feels natural, maybe the blob is well-suited to the strengths/abilities you've developed from working with lumber every day.  I'd say go for it if you want to do it!

Yeah, its true and sledgehammers levering has always felt natural.. But it took a long time for it to not hurt the tendons. 

• Like 2

Slowly getting better. Pretty sure I had bacterial pneumonia..  But cant confirm because i never went to docs. Still getting winded.

Loadable Dumbbell Level Lifts left and right
70 x2                           
70 x 2                           
70 x  2
70 x  2
70 x2 

RGT Holds left and right
65 x10
65x 10
65x10 

RGT Thumbless Deadlifts 3x2

Left and right 
55x 2
55 x2
55 x 2

NN2&3/8 5x2

150 x2
155 x2
160 x 2
165 x 2
170 x 2 

w/2" handle 170x5 170x5 180x5 180x5

double sledge lever 10lbs x3 15lbsx3 s sets

Chest Krusher 3 springs few sets

Goblet Squat 55lbs 3x3

Ring dips 4,4,3

extensor bands

Sidewinder

15 minutes yoga

Sledge Rotations 2 sets of 10 each way

2hand levers are intense.  I think partially because Arm Assassins handle is a lot longer than my sledges. 36" I think. But I love it.  

Fell asleep last night at 7:45 and woke at up 5:30am.   I still am coughing up some stuff and getting winded but I'm finally feeling much much better.  

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Slowly getting better. Pretty sure I had bacterial pneumonia..  But cant confirm because i never went to docs. Still getting winded.

Fell asleep last night at 7:45 and woke at up 5:30am.   I still am coughing up some stuff and getting winded but I'm finally feeling much much better.  

Glad you're feeling better and enjoying the 2hand levers.  Good stuff!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Glad you're feeling better and enjoying the 2hand levers.  Good stuff!

Thank you.  Yeah, its certainly not something id feel comfortable maxing out on. At least with one hand you got the other to help stop.  

Tomorrow Id like to get a sandbag set up with 75lbs and start going zercher squats with it on bending day... I'd prefer to start light.  I also plan on shouldering and carrying my 160lbs sandbag, hopefully i can get after my 180 soon.  i shouldered that one once or twice. 

I used to do timed walks with my 160lbs sandbag on one shoulder and a 35lbs kb in one hand and a 55lbs in the other.  Then finish it off with bearhug carries. I was so well conditioned then. 

• Like 2

Killer workout 🏋️‍it’s good you getting better,but you should still get looked at

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

If my body allows i'd like to start training grippers on Sundays. 

400 swings  each hand with 5lbs club bells

vulcan v2 orange spring all deep set World of Grip set block

3-3 3 reps

4 -4 reps

5-5 1 rep 3  reps

6-5 R 1 L Miss

4-4 3 reps both hands

decided to mess around with grippers.. Didnt go too hard. I've always sucked at them but I think it was my technique. 

Snapped 1 tiny nail bent another will snap it another time

15 minute yoga

too much beer and pizza last night. Thinking about giving California sober a shot this month. 🤣

• Like 4

Nice Sunday morning workout, just enough to get the cobwebs out of your head.

we went out last night to watch a band (60s rock) Mexican food and lots of Beer

it was a good time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice Sunday morning workout, just enough to get the cobwebs out of your head.

we went out last night to watch a band (60s rock) Mexican food and lots of Beer

it was a good time.

nice, Mexican food, 60s rock and beer are some of my favorites things in life.

I was cranking the Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East during my workout this morning.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

Very high reps on those club swings. Is that 800 total? Seems like it could be good cardio. 

10 sets of 40 each arm so 800 total. I'm still new to this so I wasn't swinging full force but it got my heart rate up. It really feels good on the shoulders, and chest and upper back a little.  Put on some good music like Pink Floyd or Allman Brothers and zone out, very relaxing. 

@John Knowltonyou inspired me to try out a new Mexican joint... Got a carnitas quesadilla..  It was amazing. 

• Like 3

Easy first day back on rower. 5 min warm up 3x250m 1min rest     2 min cool down.. 10 minutes of yoga

My breathing is pretty much back to normal.  

Weighed two of my sandbags, one is like 56lbs the other is 120lbs, then i have my 160 and 180lbs... I'm gonna start squatting the two lighter ones this week. Maybe i'll see if i can still overhead press the 120lbs one. I should be able to.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2