matek

31 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Iā€™m pretty hungry myself right now.

I've never heard that joke before!šŸ˜šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

• Like 1

8 hours ago, matek said:

2022/09/23 DU bending (leather singles)

Ā 

I'm still pretty sore so I knew today was not the day for a cert or a PR. So instead of doing something super intense, I did volume.Ā 

Ā 

Warmup:
- WD2 (suedes, Orange spring) in DU position: 10x (1-1), (2-2), (3-3), (4-4), 5x (5-5)
- 3x CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 165mm (9/32" x 6.5")
- 1x CRS hex (SS400) 7mm x 170mm (9/32" x 6.7")

Main:
- 13x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7")
All one hit to 90-95 degrees.Ā 

Btw the Horrido shirt gives +10 endurance, +10 willpower, and +10 strength to your stats.Ā 

20220923.JPG

Extremely inspiring stuff! That's alot of volumeĀ šŸ’ŖĀ love the shirt also.Ā 

Do you think you will ever get your flexibility up enough to perform the DO style? I'm having alot of mobility issues myself and I'm not able to get into a good position lol.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Extremely inspiring stuff! That's alot of volumeĀ šŸ’ŖĀ love the shirt also.Ā 

Do you think you will ever get your flexibility up enough to perform the DO style? I'm having alot of mobility issues myself and I'm not able to get into a good position lol.Ā 

Thanks a lot!

If I do a lot of facepulls and other mobility exercises with bands, I can get into a pseudo-DO position. Not fully under the chin šŸ˜„, but not terrible. So I think if I would do mobility exercises twice per week, actually it wouldn't take super long to get into an optimal position. I'm sure you will be able to do it. It just takes patience and boring mobility "training".Ā 

Ā 

Honestly, the bigger issue for me is my elbows. If I completely lock myself into the position where my biceps touch my brachioradialis, and drive my elbows forward using my upper back muscles, I get elbow pain for days. Not the constant, unbearable kind, but the kind that makes me feel super weak while doing anything with my arms (I did a few experiments, just didn't log it). Maybe has to do something with the cartilage/bone fragments in my elbows, not sure.Ā 

So I can see myself getting more into reverse (and braced and unbraced snapping btw), but not DO. But never say never, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2022/09/24 GrippersĀ 

Ā 

I didn't do WD2 this week, so more volume on grippers.Ā 

Ā 

RH
- 2x1 CoC #3 (unrated) MMS
Ok.
- 2x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS
One fail, pinky slipped down at the final crush.Ā 
- 3x3 Standard Fe (RGC 134) MMS
Missed the last rep of the last set.Ā 
- 3x1 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~163, parallel (20mm) choked
Ok, but last rep was hard at this point
- 3x2 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~156, parallel (20mm) choked

Ok.

Ā 

LH
- 4x1 GD Iron 90 (filed stoppers - handles touching, no extensions) Level 5 at 44mm narrow spread, NS
One fail.Ā 
- 3x8 GD Iron 90 (filed stoppers - handles touching, no extensions) Level 4 at 63mm wide spread, wide set
Ok.Ā 
- 3x1 GD Iron 90 (filed stoppers - handles touching, with extensions) Level 6 at 53mm narrow spread, wide set, as far as I can
I might closed one, not sure.Ā 

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

On 9/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, matek said:

Thanks a lot!

If I do a lot of facepulls and other mobility exercises with bands, I can get into a pseudo-DO position. Not fully under the chin šŸ˜„, but not terrible. So I think if I would do mobility exercises twice per week, actually it wouldn't take super long to get into an optimal position. I'm sure you will be able to do it. It just takes patience and boring mobility "training".Ā 

Ā 

Honestly, the bigger issue for me is my elbows. If I completely lock myself into the position where my biceps touch my brachioradialis, and drive my elbows forward using my upper back muscles, I get elbow pain for days. Not the constant, unbearable kind, but the kind that makes me feel super weak while doing anything with my arms (I did a few experiments, just didn't log it). Maybe has to do something with the cartilage/bone fragments in my elbows, not sure.Ā 

So I can see myself getting more into reverse (and braced and unbraced snapping btw), but not DO. But never say never, right?

Thanks alot, this info really helps! That must get frustrating not being able to DO pain free. If you had the mobility and durability I think you would be an incredible DO bender. So far it feels like an awkward position but it helps hearing how many great benders like you and guys like Carl Donati kind of got their start with the DU style. I draw comparisons in my mind to lifts like the olympic snatch. Feels like a foreign movement pattern at first until you get used to it.Ā 

I'm curious to see how you make out with reverse(assuming you try it). I'm planning on trying it myself eventually but I'm still studying the how to videos lol.Ā 

Bending is so fascinating to me in that it almost seems like you need a fair amount of strength, however too much size kind of gets in the way. Almost like there is this optimal physique to strive for to excel in the sport. I recently played the Beyond the Bend podcast episode with Jedd Johnson and Jedd said once he quit bench pressing he successfully could bend a red nailĀ šŸ¤”Ā 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks alot, this info really helps! That must get frustrating not being able to DO pain free. If you had the mobility and durability I think you would be an incredible DO bender. So far it feels like an awkward position but it helps hearing how many great benders like you and guys like Carl Donati kind of got their start with the DU style. I draw comparisons in my mind to lifts like the olympic snatch. Feels like a foreign movement pattern at first until you get used to it.Ā 

I'm curious to see how you make out with reverse(assuming you try it). I'm planning on trying it myself eventually but I'm still studying the how to videos lol.Ā 

Bending is so fascinating to me in that it almost seems like you need a fair amount of strength, however too much size kind of gets in the way. Almost like there is this optimal physique to strive for to excel in the sport. I recently played the Beyond the Bend podcast episode with Jedd Johnson and Jedd said once he quit bench pressing he successfully could bend a red nailĀ šŸ¤”Ā 

Thanks man, maybe someday I'll able to do it without issues!

Right, doing DO "properly" is really unnatural. Even if you can get into the position from the beginning, it's not guaranteed you can generate force from there.Ā 

I tried reverse multiple times. In my opinion, it requires much less technique compared to DO or even DU. I found it hinders gripper progress for newbie benders, so I didn't stick with it (at that time I was focusing more on grippers). Recently I'm training with the Wrist Developer 2 ~biweekly, it's a device designed by David Horne to mimic reverse bending. Of course, it doesn't substitute for bending, I just enjoy playing with itĀ šŸ˜„.Ā 

For DO, size can be a problem for sure. That being said, there are some big dudes who are incredible benders.Ā 

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

2022/09/25 Pinch

Ā 

60mm pinch block
Both hands:
- 2x1 29.3kg/64.6lb
- 3x1 30.6kg/67.5lb
- 4x1 31.9kg/70.3lb
- 1x 33.1kg/73lb

Ā 

3" x 40mm hub
Both hands:
- 2x1 16.4kg/36.2lb
- 2x1 18.8kg/41.5lb
- 4x1 20.1kg/44.3lbĀ 

One fail with LH. This feels so much harder with my non-dominant hand.Ā 

Ā 

Blob 40 (18.7kg/41.2lb) band assisted lifts
Both hands:
- 3x1 with green bandĀ 
I got this weaker band just for blobbin'. But it will be useful for band assisted one-arm pullups as well.Ā 
- 7x1 with yellow bandĀ 

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

2022/09/26 short braced bending

- CRS (SS400) 10mm x 203mm (25/64" x 8")
- CRS (SS400) 9.5mm x 190mm (3/8" x 7.5")
- Grade 10.9 bolt 8mm x 180mm (5/16" x 7")

I heard a small pop during the kink, and I just knew it was the threads (but somehow it didn't snap). So I moved the wrap higher, and this resulted in a very imbalanced and harder bend. Still, ~1.9" between the head and the other end, so no problem.
- CRS (SS400) 9mm x 165mm (0.354" x 6.5")
- CRS (SS400) SQUARE 7mm x 140mm (9/32" x 5.5")
- CRS (SS400) HEX 8mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")

Ā 

Trying out new materials:
- Galvanized steel (SS400) 9mm x 178mm (0.354" x 7")
I got this for DU progression, just wanted to try it out braced first how it feels. I knew it was going to be easier than the normal CRS (that's why I got it), but maybe it was a little bit too easy. Will see how it feels for DU. I only have a few pieces anyway.Ā 
- Stainless (630) 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")
I might be the first one who bent martensitic stainless. It's much, much harder material than austenitic stainless like 304 (the tensile strength is almost double). I got it for DU with my last steel order because it was cut-down material from somebody else's order (so it was really cheap). I tested it braced because I don't want to stab myself in the stomach if it snaps early. I very carefully bent it to sub 2", and didn't snap. So ~40 degrees should be fine. It behaves very-very similar to super high-grade bolts like a 12.9, the springback is ridiculous for the diameter. Just from the bent shape, it's obvious that this material means trouble and might snap from aggressive hits. I put it next to the galvanized steel, the shape difference is crazy.Ā 
Ā 

20220926 .jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, matek said:

2022/09/26 short braced bending

- CRS (SS400) 10mm x 203mm (25/64" x 8")
- CRS (SS400) 9.5mm x 190mm (3/8" x 7.5")
- Grade 10.9 bolt 8mm x 180mm (5/16" x 7")

I heard a small pop during the kink, and I just knew it was the threads (but somehow it didn't snap). So I moved the wrap higher, and this resulted in a very imbalanced and harder bend. Still, ~1.9" between the head and the other end, so no problem.
- CRS (SS400) 9mm x 165mm (0.354" x 6.5")
- CRS (SS400) SQUARE 7mm x 140mm (9/32" x 5.5")
- CRS (SS400) HEX 8mm x 165mm (5/16" x 6")

Ā 

Trying out new materials:
- Galvanized steel (SS400) 9mm x 178mm (0.354" x 7")
I got this for DU progression, just wanted to try it out braced first how it feels. I knew it was going to be easier than the normal CRS (that's why I got it), but maybe it was a little bit too easy. Will see how it feels for DU. I only have a few pieces anyway.Ā 
- Stainless (630) 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")
I might be the first one who bent martensitic stainless. It's much, much harder material than austenitic stainless like 304 (the tensile strength is almost double). I got it for DU with my last steel order because it was cut-down material from somebody else's order (so it was really cheap). I tested it braced because I don't want to stab myself in the stomach if it snaps early. I very carefully bent it to sub 2", and didn't snap. So ~40 degrees should be fine. It behaves very-very similar to super high-grade bolts like a 12.9, the springback is ridiculous for the diameter. Just from the bent shape, it's obvious that this material means trouble and might snap from aggressive hits. I put it next to the galvanized steel, the shape difference is crazy.Ā 
Ā 

20220926 .jpg

Yeah be careful. My biggest fear with bending is something snapping prematurely and getting injured. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t like bending up under my neck.Ā 
Ā 

bolts can snap but Iā€™ll take my chances. Ā But I will sacrifice never reaching my full potential with bending if it means not bending dangerous stuff.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah be careful. My biggest fear with bending is something snapping prematurely and getting injured. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t like bending up under my neck.Ā 
Ā 

bolts can snap but Iā€™ll take my chances. Ā But I will sacrifice never reaching my full potential with bending if it means not bending dangerous stuff.

Sure, thanks! I'll only use it for DU so I think it will be just fine. I did that braced bend really slowly and in jeans.

As long as you avoid full threaded bolts, high-grade bolts wrapped 3.5-4.5cm, square high carbon steel, and just weird stuff like I did today you should be okay.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

2022/09/29 DU bending (thicker leather singles)

Ā 

- ECGB drill rod (O-1) 7.9mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7")
My last cert attempt wasn't accepted, because I cut down the rod to 6" and I didn't know you were supposed to bend everything at the original length for the ECGB list (= I haven't read the rules carefully). So original length this time, and in singles (at 6" I did it in doubles).
- 4x CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 178mm (21/64" x 7")
Except for the last one, all one hits. Based on these first five bends, I think I improved a little bit recently.
- 3x Stainless (304L) SQUARE 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")
Mild stainless.
- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 185mm (5/16" x 7.3")
- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 175mm (5/16" x 6.9")
- 3x Stainless (304) HEX 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")

Ā 

Ā 

20220929.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

Damn, smoked that bar! Time for the 1/3x7.5!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, stranger said:

Damn, smoked that bar! Time for the 1/3x7.5!

Thanks a lot! Actually, that was the original plan (in doubles) but I decided not to try it because I have only one 1/3" rod. When I can bend my local stock of "hexabastard" (tougher than the original FBBC one) I'll be ready for sure.Ā 

• Like 4

2022/09/30 Push, Thick bar, Pull

Bodyweight was 105.4kg/232.4lb

Ā 

I was very busy with my job this week (except today), so I had to merge multiple workouts. 3+ hours Friday evening workout haha.Ā 

Ā 

Push:

- 14x20 Adjustable armbar at max resistance, close to body

I did this at home, then went to the gym (it's like a 5 mins walk).

Ā 

Thick bar:

Hands are tired from yesterday's volume bending, so I didn't do anything super intense.

Fat Gripz original (blue, 2.25") double overhand deadlifts

- 10x1 125kg/276lb

Smooth lifts with a small pause at the top.Ā 

Ā 

Fat Gripz Extreme (orange, 2.75") double overhand deadlifts

- 1x 95kg/209.4lb

- 1x 97.5kg/215lb

- 6x1 100kg/220.5lb

FGE was better than expected.Ā 

Ā 

One-handed anvil-type vertical bar lift (2"x1.3"x4.9")

Both hands:

- 1x 60.8kg/134lb

- 2x1 65.8kg/145.1lb

RH:

- 3x1 65.8kg/145.1lb

LH:

- 3x1 70.8kg/156lb

Grip getting tired. But still, it's much more comfortable to do this with my left. Can be the technique.Ā 

Pull:

Weighted neutral grip pullups

I was super hungry at this point, but wanted to do at least a few sets of pullups.

- 8x 21kg/46.3lbĀ 

- 2x4 41kg/90.4lb

- 3x3 51kg/112.4lb

- 3x1 61kg/134.5lb

Last rep was not high enough.Ā 

• Like 7

2022/10/02 Grippers, Blob, Wrist Developer, Forearms-wrist

I went hiking yesterday so I did a longer workout today.Ā 

Ā 

Grippers
RH
- 1x Standard Fe (RGC 134) CCS
I almost never train wide sets with RH, so it was a little bit clumsy. It took me some time till I opened the gripper enough and could finally pass the card between the handles. Btw there are holes in the handles because it had the CPW choker mod (but I removed it a few months ago when it became more useful to me as a normal gripper).
- 3x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMSĀ 
- 4x1 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~163, parallel (20mm) choked
No problem with these.Ā 
LH
- 8x1 GD Iron 90, filed stoppers - handles touching, no extensions, Level 5 at 44mm narrow spread, NS
Failed the last one by a few millimeters.Ā 

Ā 

Blob 40 - 18.7kg (41.2lb)
Both handsĀ 
Assisted liftsĀ 

10x1Ā 
I skipped pinch block and hub training this week.Ā 

Ā 

Wrist Developer 2 (suedes)
Orange spring
Both handsĀ 

- 10x (1-1), (2-2), (3-3), (4-4)

CROM springĀ 
LH frontĀ 

2x Level 10 (2-3)
5x Level 9 (2-2)
10x Level 8 (2-1)
15x Level 7 (1-2)

RH front
3x Level 9 (2-2)
5x Level 8 (2-1)
12x Level 7 (1-2)
20x Level 6 (1-1)

First time trying really high reps with the CROM spring, I liked it.Ā 

Ā 

Forearms-wrists (mainly for recovery)

6x ulnar deviation - radial deviation rolls with Twist Yo Wrist, 10kg/22lb
50x, 40x, 35x wrist curls with bands + rolling pin
30x, 30x, 25x reverse wrist curls with bands

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

20221002.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

Nice workout today... That blob is awesome.Ā  If I was you and maybe you already do it, but i'd do the eccentric part of the blob lift a little slower, really work your grip. Thats what i've been doing with the inch and its really hard but every week the lift gets a little bit cleaner.

Ā 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice workout today... That blob is awesome.Ā  If I was you and maybe you already do it, but i'd do the eccentric part of the blob lift a little slower, really work your grip. Thats what i've been doing with the inch and its really hard but every week the lift gets a little bit cleaner.

Ā 

Thanks! Good idea, I will try that next time I do blobbing. The first milestone is doing the negative phase without assist anywayĀ šŸ‘

• Like 1

Way cool workout .

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool workout .

Thank you!

2022/10/03 Short braced bending

Ā 

- Grade 8.8 bolt (Horrido) 8mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")

This was very easy and I shouldn't waste my cert boltsĀ šŸ˜…
- CRS (SS400) 9.5mm x 160mm (3/8" x 6.3")
- CRS (SS400) 10mm x 178mm (25/64" x 7")

I think it's my first time bending 10mm CRS at 7", but wasn't super hard. Fun bend.Ā 
- Stainless (304H) HEX 8mm x 127mm (5/16" x 5")
This harder stainless is a nightmare to crush, especially at this length. I couldn't do it in 5 mins (I really tried though), stopped at ~2.5". Other bars were sub 2".Ā 

Ā 

No time for more today.

20221003.JPG

• Like 6

2022/10/05 DU bending

Ā 

Thick single leathers

- CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 165mm (9/32" x 6.5")

- CRS (SS400) HEX 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")

- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7")

Ā 

Doubles of corduras + leathers

- CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 152mm (21/64" x 6")

This was harder than expected.

- CRS (SS400) SQUARE 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")

Got it to 35 degrees (edit: more like 31, taking a second look at the picture), multiple hits. This was really hard, at least today.

Ā 

20221005.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

2022/10/06 Thick bar

Ā 

Fat Gripz original (2.25", blue) double overhand deadlift

- 1x 130kg/286.6lb

- 1x 127.5kg/281.1lb

- 5x1 125kg/276.6lb

Ā 

Fat Gripz Extreme (2.75", orange) double overhand deadlift

- 4x1 100kg/220.5lb

Ā 

Fat Gripz Extreme (2.75", orange) thumbless deadlift

- 1x 95kg/209.4lb

- 1x 97.5kg/215lb

- 1x 100kg/220.5lb

- 1x 102.5kg/226lb

I decided to do both normal and thumbless deadlifts with the FGE. Interesting that my thumbless is better than my normal deadlift (at least on really thick handles).Ā 

Ā 

Fat Gripz original (2.4" on db, blue) dumbbell lift - minimizing tilt

Both hands:

- 5x1 59kg/130lb

- 3x1 with 2 sec holds at the top 56.7kg/125lb

A few were completely balanced/leveled, some were uglier but not tilted too much. All were controlled on the way down as well.

Ā 

Fat Gripz original (2.4" on db, blue) thumbless dumbbell lift

- 2x1 52.2kg/115lb

First time trying this. Wow this is harder than expected. I don't think I will do this again because it's difficult to get consistent: the adapter is rolling around the handle a little bit.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4