matek's training log

matek

2022/08/19

Cardio and short braced bending

- 30 mins cardio on stationary bicycle

- 5x CRS (SS400)9.52mm x 178mm (3/8" x 7")

20220819.jpeg

• Like 6

@matek I seen you took the top spot on the DU list for Band Sport Canada. Nice work man! Very strong! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stranger said:

@matek I seen you took the top spot on the DU list for Band Sport Canada. Nice work man! Very strong! 

Thanks a lot! Next on that list is the Nanook. Also the 1/3x7.5 O-1 on the ECGB list, and the FBBC Tall Duke. Then I'm ready for the Horrido 8.8.

• Like 2

2022/08/20 Grippers and Wrist Developer

Grippers
RH:
- 5x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS
- 5x1 Adjustable U gripper (30mm width), RGC ~156

Slightly missed the last two, already tired. 
LH:
- 5x1 CoC #3 (unrated) 24mm choked
- 5x6 CPWxGG4 (RGC 115) NS

I think I will mainly do no set and choked closes with my left hand. I don't like setting grippers, and I don't think I will ever try to certify on anything using my left hand. I still want to improve with my left, but since I'm not chasing any number I will just do whatever is fun for me. It's not like grippers have any significant carryover to any other type of grip feat anyways. 
But still have to get used to no set closes. With this 5x6, I always had to reposition the gripper at rep 4 or 5, because it slips down so much between the reps. Also, because of all the slipping, it's much rougher on the skin compared to MMS or block sets.

Wrist developer 2 (suedes)
Warmup with the Orange spring up to (4-4).
All reps were done in both hand positions.
CROM spring
1x Level 7 (1-2)
1x Level 8 (2-1)
1x Level 9 (2-2)
2x9 Level 6 (1-1)

20220820.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

On 8/18/2022 at 1:05 PM, matek said:

2022/08/18 Pull

BW at 103.8kg/229lbs

Weighted neutral grip pullups
- 10x3 56kg/123lbs

This weight was noticeably easier than last week.  
- 5x5 46kg/101lbs

Seated cable row, wide grip 
- 5x12 113.5kg/250lbs (full stack)

Very strong pullups. That's impressive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Very strong pullups. That's impressive.

Thanks!

I saw your weighted calisthenics are getting really strong as well!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks!

I saw your weighted calisthenics are getting really strong as well!

Thanks but I'm still way off your strength. Keep up the great work. I've been doing all my pull-ups and Chinups on these handles called "Angles 90 grips" because I was getting a bit of elbow tendonitis from weighted pull-ups on a bar so I switched to these handles and the don't effect my tendonitis.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks but I'm still way off your strength.

I think relative to bw, you're pretty strong!

42 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I've been doing all my pull-ups and Chinups on these handles called "Angles 90 grips" because I was getting a bit of elbow tendonitis from weighted pull-ups on a bar so I switched to these handles and the don't effect my tendonitis.

Looks interesting. I guess the main idea is that your forearm/wrist can be in a much more natural position. So similar to ez bar curl vs. straight bar curl. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, matek said:

I think relative to bw, you're pretty strong!

Looks interesting. I guess the main idea is that your forearm/wrist can be in a much more natural position. So similar to ez bar curl vs. straight bar curl. 

Sort of yeah, your hands and arms just follow your natural path so when I do then I start in a pronated Pullup position and as I pull up my arms rotate and I end up in an underhand supinated Chinup position. Very easy on the shoulder and elbow joints. 

• Like 2

2022/08/21

Forearm/wrist recovery

2x3 ulnar deviation rolls with Twist Yo Wrist replica

2x3 radial deviation rolls with Twist Yo Wrist replica

3x36 wrist curls with band + thick rolling pin

3x50 reverse wrist curls with band

First time trying this Twist Yo Wrist tool (not the original Ironmind, but it's a piece of plastic so who cares). Rolling it up is essentially ulnar or radial deviation for a lot of "reps". I liked it a lot. It gives a nice pump and it's actually fun. For my purposes, doing multiple turns without breaks seems the best (with relatively low weights). 

20220821.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, matek said:

2022/08/21

Forearm/wrist recovery

2x3 ulnar deviation rolls with Twist Yo Wrist replica

2x3 radial deviation rolls with Twist Yo Wrist replica

3x36 wrist curls with band + thick rolling pin

3x50 reverse wrist curls with band

First time trying this Twist Yo Wrist tool (not the original Ironmind, but it's a piece of plastic so who cares). Rolling it up is essentially ulnar or radial deviation for a lot of "reps". I liked it a lot. It gives a nice pump and it's actually fun. For my purposes, doing multiple turns without breaks seems the best (with relatively low weights). 

20220821.JPG

great piece of equipment. I haven't used mine in a year. But I love the way it hits the wrists. Try using it with just your fingers.

I  bought the two Sidewinders too, one thats like a wrist roller and one thats like this... Really great for recovery and warming up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Try using it with just your fingers.

Actually I did just that for a set, doing it with my fingers without the pinky! Great stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Really great for recovery and warming up.

Good to hear. Pumping blood/recovery is my main purpose with it.

• Like 1

2022/08/22 DU bending (singles and doubles)

Relatively long warmup; shoulder mobility, wrist curls, pushups, WD2 in DU position, and a few 9/32" bends.

Singles (IMP cordura):
- FBBC "The Square" (CRS) 6.35mm x 178mm (1/4" x 7")
Easy, but bending square in single corduras is painful. If you're lucky enough to hit it by the sides it's fine I guess, but the edges are annoying. I didn't have sensation in my left pinky after the bend for like half a minute. I still have one, so maybe I'll cut it down and make a cert video.

Singles (thicker leather):
- FBBC "Shiny Bastard" (stainless, probably 304?) 7.9mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7")
Cert attempt. Didn't want to cut it down because I never tried stainless FBBC stock before. And depending on which supplier I chose, I had both stupid hard and mild stock in the past... Anyways, this was somewhere between, probably what "normal" stainless should be. I think it would rate around the same as the Golden Bastard I did a few days ago. 
- FBBC "Huge Bastard" (CRS) 7.9mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")
Cert attempt. As expected, no surprises here.

Doubles (cordura + leather):
- Drill rod (SK95) 7.6mm x 190mm (19/64" x 7.5")
- 2x Drill rod (SK95) 7.8mm x 190mm (0.31" x 7.5")
- 5x CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 190mm (21/64" x 7.5")

Getting used to longer bends in doubles. One hits, except the last 2 bars because I was already too tired. 

All bends finished to 40+ degrees.
Here are the cert videos:

20220822.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mikhael said:

@matekwhat do you think about nails bending? 

If you have local access to nails in diameters that allow you to progress, it's a very good and cheap option for bending. 

In the US, 60d nails are very popular among beginner benders. Non-galvanized 70d nails are basically 5/16" CRS and very close to the IM "Red nail" and FBBC "Bastard". I think @stranger used to bend them frequently. 

But depending on the supplier, you might encounter softer or tougher 70ds; a few days ago I bent this (I bought it from the US), and it was harder than a Bastard or Red nail. I'm sure it's the same story with the 60ds; it varies a lot. Btw if you're in a country with the metric system, 6-6.5mm nails are similar to the 60ds, and 7.5-8mm nails are similar to 70ds. 

Where I live, I don't have too many choices with nails. From standard nails, the thickest is way too easy even for a warmup and the big boy construction nail is too much for me at my current level (picture). But it's not a problem for me because a 5/16" CRS bar costs me ~0.4 USD (I cut it myself though). 

nja.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mikhael said:

@matekwhat do you think about nails bending? 

You should get into it.  It builds some serious strength both mentally and physically. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, matek said:

If you have local access to nails in diameters that allow you to progress, it's a very good and cheap option for bending. 

In the US, 60d nails are very popular among beginner benders. Non-galvanized 70d nails are basically 5/16" CRS and very close to the IM "Red nail" and FBBC "Bastard". I think @stranger used to bend them frequently. 

But depending on the supplier, you might encounter softer or tougher 70ds; a few days ago I bent this (I bought it from the US), and it was harder than a Bastard or Red nail. I'm sure it's the same story with the 60ds; it varies a lot. Btw if you're in a country with the metric system, 6-6.5mm nails are similar to the 60ds, and 7.5-8mm nails are similar to 70ds. 

Where I live, I don't have too many choices with nails. From standard nails, the thickest is way too easy even for a warmup and the big boy construction nail is too much for me at my current level (picture). But it's not a problem for me because a 5/16" CRS bar costs me ~0.4 USD (I cut it myself though). 

nja.JPG

Love 70d's! But yea, nails will vary more than most steel so that sucks but they are usually the best bang for your buck. $0.33 per nail if you buy 50lb box

• Like 3

I didn't train today, just cut up some SK95 Japanese high carbon drill rods. SK95 is a bit harder than the O-1 (at least from my supplier), but comes in 0.1mm (~0.004") increments.

So far I tried everything from 7.0mm to 7.9mm (5/16"), but now I bought rods from 8.0mm to 8.5mm. Hopefully, these will help to achieve my goals.

sk9580-85.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 9

2022/08/24 Thick bar and Push

I didn't work out yesterday, so I decided to do both thick bar and push today (both at lower volume than usual).

Fat gripz original one-handed dumbbell lift (2.4" on the dumbbell)
Ok so this time I properly measured the diameter, and it was 61.5mm (2.42"), which is very-very close to the inch (2.38"). This was the first time I didn't do this after thick bar deadlifts, so I performed better. 
- 18x1 135lbs/61kg with 70 sec rests (RH/LH)
The weight was controlled on the way down as well - if dropped, I didn't count the set. In total, I dropped three sets. RH felt harder than LH because of wrist. 

Seated overhead press (elbow sleeves)
- 10x5 80kg/176lbs 
A little bit boring compared to normal OHPs, but good volume. For the last set, I had to take a longer rest, but no failed reps. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

2022/08/25 Pull

Bodyweight was 103.4kg/228lbs. 

Band assisted one arm pullups (both arms)

- 5x1 high assistance

- 5x1 medium assistance

- 1x low assistance

With this last one, right arm was ok, left was ugly. Since I can do a weighted pullup with ~65% of my bw added, the one arm pullup is probably not that far strength-wise. However, one arm pullup is a very skill-based feat, so the movement needs to be practiced. 

Lat pulldown wide grip

- 6x8 146kg/322lbs

I put an additional 10kg plate on the full weight stack. I totally forgot about that tool. 

Compound row machine

- 8x16 110kg/242lbs

• Like 4

1 hour ago, matek said:

2022/08/25 Pull

Bodyweight was 103.4kg/228lbs. 

Band assisted one arm pullups (both arms)

- 5x1 high assistance

- 5x1 medium assistance

- 1x low assistance

With this last one, right arm was ok, left was ugly. Since I can do a weighted pullup with ~65% of my bw added, the one arm pullup is probably not that far strength-wise. However, one arm pullup is a very skill-based feat, so the movement needs to be practiced. 

Lat pulldown wide grip

- 6x8 146kg/322lbs

I put an additional 10kg plate on the full weight stack. I totally forgot about that tool. 

Compound row machine

- 8x16 110kg/242lbs

Beast mode. Just be careful.

something tells me that no matter how strong you are bending and learning how to do 1 arm pull ups can be dangerous if not done carefully. But you clearly have the strength to do both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Beast mode. Just be careful.

something tells me that no matter how strong you are bending and learning how to do 1 arm pull ups can be dangerous if not done carefully. But you clearly have the strength to do both.

You're right of course. With my bw, the strain on the elbows is huge, even with assisted one-arm pullups. 

Fortunately, double underhand bending doesn't bother my elbows at all. I'm super conscious about the WD2 though, and I never go crazy with it. Sometimes it's hard to decide if you can safely ignore a certain kind of pain or not. 

Thanks!

Edited by matek
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, matek said:

You're right of course. With my bw, the strain on the elbows is huge, even with assisted one-arm pullups. 

Fortunately, double underhand bending doesn't bother my elbows at all. I'm super conscious about the WD2 though, and I never go crazy with it. Sometimes it's hard to decide if you can safely ignore a certain kind of pain or not. 

Thanks!

Yup. I’ve more or less and I’m sure you have too, learned what pain you can work though and what you want can’t. But I’ve been wrong before. 

I still feel a little discomfort with the WD. I’m not as strong as most people here so when I bend and lever I think I’m really relying on my wrists. I know you’ll get it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup. I’ve more or less and I’m sure you have too, learned what pain you can work though and what you want can’t. But I’ve been wrong before. 

If I'm being completely honest, I was always bad at this. It got better with age though. 

36 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I still feel a little discomfort with the WD.

I'm also a beginner with the WD2, but this is my opinion: Try to flex your upper body before the "bend". Your shoulders, chest, abs, forearms, and lats. Instead of trying to move your wrist, try to keep it in a neutral position. Your wrist will move anyway, but it's main part will be supporting/enduring your upper body strength. Hope this makes sense. I'm just saying this because it might help with your discomfort, not because you're doing it wrong or smg. 

• Like 1