(3-3) x10
(4-4) x10
Level 6 (1-1) x1

No issues with my elbows so far, so this week I really tried:
Level 8 (2-1) x10 LH front 
Level 8 (2-1) x8 RH front

Happy about these.
Level 9 (2-2) x1 LH front
It was a loong rep, but got it. Didn't attempt with RH front.

Wrist Developer 2 (suedes) in DU position 
Kink practice with the Orange spring. No jumping into it (like I do it with steel), controlled reps.
(1-1) x20
(2-2) x20
(3-2) x20
(3-3) x20
(4-3) x10
(4-4) x10
(4-5) x5
(5-5) 4x5

Never thought of training the kink with the WD... Maybe i've indirectly been doing that though. I tried the G5 yesterday.. 1/4 inchx6.5inches...  I think i bent it very slightly.  But I knew it wasn't happening. I've had a flu  or something all week, still worked and worked out through it. But I was just beat yesterday. I bent one 60d spiral and that was a struggle.  At least I got some iso training. I think fresh I have a shot at it.

Thats all I got to say, this is your training log, not mine.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Never thought of training the kink with the WD... Maybe i've indirectly been doing that though. I tried the G5 yesterday.. 1/4 inchx6.5inches...  I think i bent it very slightly.  But I knew it wasn't happening. I've had a flu  or something all week, still worked and worked out through it. But I was just beat yesterday. I bent one 60d spiral and that was a struggle.  At least I got some iso training. I think fresh I have a shot at it.

Thats all I got to say, this is your training log, not mine.

I would never try it for DO because it doesn't make sense, but for DU it is actually really good for kink practice! Would probably work for Heslep as well but that style is like asking for tendonitis 😅

Nice job! Iso training is still very good, sometimes I do it on purpose with bars I know I cannot possibly bend. I think if you can bend like 4 normal 60ds in succession, you got the 1/4" G5. Hope you'll recover soon from that flu. I haven't been sick for many years but I have seasonal allergies every year... 

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, matek said:

I would never try it for DO because it doesn't make sense, but for DU it is actually really good for kink practice! Would probably work for Heslep as well but that style is like asking for tendonitis 😅

Nice job! Iso training is still very good, sometimes I do it on purpose with bars I know I cannot possibly bend. I think if you can bend like 4 normal 60ds in succession, you got the 1/4" G5. Hope you'll recover soon from that flu. I haven't been sick for many years but I have seasonal allergies every year... 

Thanks....It could be seasonal allergies turned into sinus infection....  I went out with my family for fathers day and sat between two sick nephews in my sisters car... Not quite sure what I got... All I know, is every time I get sick it's from them.

The second time I ever bent, I bent 3 60d's... Thats what gave me the tendonitis that prevented me from bending for a long time.  Before my surgery I bent a couple 60ds like nothing at a party. Bending is funny and very taxing, it seems like it takes a year or two for your body to get used to it.  sometimes its like snapping a tooth pick, other times its just not gonna happen no matter how hard you try.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

All I know, is every time I get sick it's from them.

Haha kids, right. My wife works with kids, so I know what you're talking about. 

36 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

sometimes its like snapping a tooth pick, other times its just not gonna happen no matter how hard you try.

If you try something max effort, you really have to be there mentally. The hard part is that you have to learn how to access that mental state regularly. For me, it is similar to when I did squat or deadlift PRs when I did powerlifting; I'm very intense and aggressive. For some people the exact opposite works (e.g., my favorite bender Don Cummings): just staying calm and extreme focus. 

• Like 1

2022/06/28

DU bending (doubles)

Warmup:
- WD2 in DU position up to  (4-4) with the Orange spring
- 2x CRS (S45C) 0.276" x 7" (7mm x 178mm)
- Drill rod (SK95) 0.287" x 7" (7.3mm x 178mm)

Main:
- FBBC Hexabastard: CRS HEX 5/16" x 7" (8mm x 178mm)
This was a cert attempt, with steel from FBBC. I hope I can submit this one day because I think got it (I hope everything is according to the rules). This is my second cert overall (first was the Horrido A2), and first with FBBC.  
I didn't do any grip related stuff for a few days, but still, this was quite brutal. The bend took almost exactly one minute, bent to ~64 degrees. The bend starts from 05:05 in the video.

I wanted to do a lot more today, but my right wrist started to hurt after the hexabastard so I stopped. If nothing serious, I will do DU in singles on Sunday. 

20220628.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

@matekdamn dude, that's HUGE DU bend!!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, matek said:

2022/06/28

DU bending (doubles)

Warmup:
- WD2 in DU position up to  (4-4) with the Orange spring
- 2x CRS (S45C) 0.276" x 7" (7mm x 178mm)
- Drill rod (SK95) 0.287" x 7" (7.3mm x 178mm)

Main:
- FBBC Hexabastard: CRS HEX 5/16" x 7" (8mm x 178mm)
This was a cert attempt, with steel from FBBC. I hope I can submit this one day because I think got it (I hope everything is according to the rules). This is my second cert overall (first was the Horrido A2), and first with FBBC.  
I didn't do any grip related stuff for a few days, but still, this was quite brutal. The bend took almost exactly one minute, bent to ~64 degrees. The bend starts from 05:05 in the video.

I wanted to do a lot more today, but my right wrist started to hurt after the hexabastard so I stopped. If nothing serious, I will do DU in singles on Sunday. 

20220628.JPG

Impressive.   I took your advice, I mentally put myself there bent one spiral 60d and 2 60ds.... And snapped one lying on my back.  The spiral was harder if you can believe it.  I'm saving the G5 for this weekend, unless I dosome blacksmithing.

Have you done any snapping?  I actually like it more than bending. Its almost like fighting the piece of steel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stranger said:

@matekdamn dude, that's HUGE DU bend!!!

Thanks a lot! Failure wasn't an option yesterday. I hope FBBC certs will reopen and I can submit this.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Impressive.   I took your advice, I mentally put myself there bent one spiral 60d and 2 60ds.... And snapped one lying on my back.  The spiral was harder if you can believe it.  I'm saving the G5 for this weekend, unless I dosome blacksmithing.

Have you done any snapping?  I actually like it more than bending. Its almost like fighting the piece of steel.

Thank you!

Sounds good! Snapping while lying on your back sounds really exhausting. Maybe because of the spiral shape, it keeps its ductility longer. 

I tried snapping only once; I snapped a 9mm (0.354") x 9.5" HRS at the beginning of my bending journey. Probably with very poor technique, not utilizing my bodyweight properly. I agree it's really fun and insanely good cardio. The problem is that I can't fit it in to my current routine. But I can see myself really getting into it in the future. 

• Like 2

2022/07/02

Low resistance recovery workout 

My right wrist still hasn't recovered from the DU hexabastard, so I just did a "recovery" workout.

With bands, low resistance: 

3x24 Wrist curls

3x24 Reverse wrist curls

3x36 Pronation

3x36 Ulnar deviation  

3x36 Radial deviation - This is the movement that hurts, so I did it with extremely low resistance, just pumping blood. 

Gripper:

RH/LH: 5x24 GD Iron 90, level 3, narrow spread, without extension, handles touching

WD2 in DU position:

Up to (3-3) with the Orange spring, high reps of 20-30, relatively slowly. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, matek said:

2022/07/02

Low resistance recovery workout 

My right wrist still hasn't recovered from the DU hexabastard, so I just did a "recovery" workout.

With bands, low resistance: 

3x24 Wrist curls

3x24 Reverse wrist curls

3x36 Pronation

3x36 Ulnar deviation  

3x36 Radial deviation - This is the movement that hurts, so I did it with extremely low resistance, just pumping blood. 

Gripper:

RH/LH: 5x24 GD Iron 90, level 3, narrow spread, without extension, handles touching

WD2 in DU position:

Up to (3-3) with the Orange spring, high reps of 20-30, relatively slowly. 

You have some real strong wrists. I still can’t do volume with the WD. I’m slowly getting there though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You have some real strong wrists. I still can’t do volume with the WD. I’m slowly getting there though.

Thanks, I hope my right wrist recovers in 1-2 weeks and I can do heavy stuff again. 

Good luck, just be careful with your elbows!

• Like 1

2022/07/04

I went to the doctor with my right wrist just to make sure it's not the bone, because then I would have to take a totally different approach to my training. So no, bones are ok and this was clear from the x-ray. According to the doc, based on what happened (and my training history) the tendons are also fine. Most likely, one of the small ligaments in my wrist (between the ulna and pisiform) got "compressed" too much and got injured. 
I'll be patient for two more weeks and not bend DU in doubles, only in singles so I can't apply too much force. If it doesn't get better or even gets worse, I will revise my training. Will see. 

So I just bent some easier stuff and played with the Wrist Developer. Let's see how much it hurts tomorrow. 

DU bending (single corduras):
- 3x CRS (SS400) 9/32" x 7" (7.1mm x 178mm)
- Horrido Stainless A4-70 bolt (SS304) 5/16" x 7" (8mm x 180mm)
- CRS (SS400) HEX 9/32" x 7" (7mm x 178mm)

Mehh this last one kinda hurt. 

WD2 (suedes) in DU position with the Orange spring:
20x each: (1-1), (2-1), (2-2), (3-2), (3-3), (4-3) 
10x each: (4-4), (5-4)
5x (5-5)
This didn't hurt that much. I didn't want to push it more. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

2022/07/09

I was a very good boy and didn't do anything since Monday. My wrist is better, but far from perfect. 

I gave a try to DU bending (single corduras), will see how my wrist feels tomorrow.

Warmup:

- Light grippers, wrist exercises with resistance bands

- WD2 (suedes) in DU position with the Orange spring:

20x each: (1-1), (2-1), (2-2), (3-3)

Main:

- CRS (SCM435) 9/32" x 6.5" (7mm x 165mm)

- 2x CRS (SCM435) 9/32" x 6" (7mm x 153mm)

- CRS (SS400) 9/32" x 6.5" (7.1mm x 165mm)

- CRS (SS400) 9/32" x 6" (7.1mm x 153mm)

The first two hurt, but not too much. Interestingly, the kink didn't hurt, just the sweep. Maybe I should aim for only 40 degrees until my wrist recovers.

- Horrido Stainless A2-70 bolt (303) 5/16" x 7" (8mm x 180mm)

First time I did this in singles. Took a few mins because I couldn't hold the hits long otherwise my wrist hurt... I didn't bend it beyond 40. And I stopped here because maybe even this was too much. 

20220709.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

Glad your wrist is getting better... Like I've said before, when I first started bending it was instant love, so I bought 3 more 60ds and bent them and I couldn't put my Wrist Developer down so I gave my self a bad case of tendonitis...  It took a long time until I could really do any bending again and anytime I tried it just set me back. Mine really only hurt when doing pronation and supination stuff with the sledge.

It sucks but you'll get through it... Its an unfortunate part of the journey.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Glad your wrist is getting better... Like I've said before, when I first started bending it was instant love, so I bought 3 more 60ds and bent them and I couldn't put my Wrist Developer down so I gave my self a bad case of tendonitis...  It took a long time until I could really do any bending again and anytime I tried it just set me back. Mine really only hurt when doing pronation and supination stuff with the sledge.

It sucks but you'll get through it... Its an unfortunate part of the journey.

Thanks for the kind words.

In my case the volume was fine, this is an injury that can be connected with one specific bend when I gave 110%. But as you said, I'll get through it. It already feels much better than on Monday.

• Like 1

2022/07/12 Braced (doubles) and light DU bending (singles)

Braced short bar:

- CRS (SS400) 8.5mm x 178mm (1/3" x 7")

Hmm... first time trying this stock. The material is the same as my usual CRS, but the manufacturer is different. I got it for DU, but not sure how it compares to my usual 21/64". Will see when I can get back DU bending in doubles. 

- CRS (SS400) 9mm x 178mm (23/64" x 7")

- Grade 10.9 bolt 8mm x 190mm (5/16" x 7.5")

All the above were easy and well within one minute. 

- Bolt 11.1mm x 300mm (7/16" x 12") - couldn't finish

Damn this bolt feels so hard. It springs back all the time. 

DU single corduras:

- 2x CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 165mm (9/32" x 6.5")

- CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 140mm (9/32" x 5.5")

- 2x Drill rod (SK95) 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")

- 2x Drill rod (SK95) 7mm x 165mm (9/32" x 6.5")

DU single leathers (not suedes):

- CRS (SS400) HEX 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")

- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 190mm (5/16" x 7.5")

Nothing actually hard, but every bar felt harder than it should. Several possibilities: 1. I peaked really well for the hexabastard 2. I need more general conditioning. I was quite busy with my job lately, and the wrist injury was kinda demotivating. I know I shouldn't be like this because I started bending 4 months ago, but this log is about being honest so I can reflect on my training and mental state. 3. My right wrist is holding me back, both physically and mentally. Obviously, it still hurts but getting better. But maybe subconsciously I'm not giving my best because I'm "afraid" it might get worse. Maybe a good thing for now. 4. My technique is getting worse because I always did a lot a volume but had to take a break because of my wrist. So can be just a practice thing. 5. The combination of 1, 2, 3, 4. 

20220712.jpg

• Like 8

Sounds like you need a little break.  You might not be physically burnt out but mentally, you could be. From what you just posted, thats how I get every few months (right now to be honest), then its a vicious circle of holding yourself back and then being mad at yourself for holding yourself back and that makes it even worse...  I've just being rowing and stretching the past week and i can't wait to get back to it.  

You know your body and what it needs, not me. But it sounds like a week off would do you good.  

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Sounds like you need a little break.  You might not be physically burnt out but mentally, you could be. From what you just posted, thats how I get every few months (right now to be honest), then its a vicious circle of holding yourself back and then being mad at yourself for holding yourself back and that makes it even worse...  I've just being rowing and stretching the past week and i can't wait to get back to it.  

You know your body and what it needs, not me. But it sounds like a week off would do you good.  

I don't feel like I'm burnt out at all, but the other thing you said sounds like me "vicious circle of holding yourself back and then being mad at yourself for holding yourself back".

Besides a recovery workout I didn't do anything for a week after that big bend, and the second week was really light as well. 

A week off from my job would do me good for sure though 😄. But I can't complain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matek said:

I don't feel like I'm burnt out at all, but the other thing you said sounds like me "vicious circle of holding yourself back and then being mad at yourself for holding yourself back".

Besides a recovery workout I didn't do anything for a week after that big bend, and the second week was really light as well. 

A week off from my job would do me good for sure though 😄. But I can't complain. 

I hear you from a break from work. It’s been 12 years since my last vacation, and probably less than a month of sick days in that time. Id kill for one at this point. 

Most of the time I get burnt out I know it’s mental but then that physically makes me tired.

9 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I hear you from a break from work. It’s been 12 years since my last vacation, and probably less than a month of sick days in that time. Id kill for one at this point. 

Most of the time I get burnt out I know it’s mental but then that physically makes me tired.

Well that's a very long time. I don't have long vacations, but I make sure I have some time off a few times a year. 

2022/07/15 DU bending (mainly in doubles)

First time bending in doubles since I messed up my right wrist a few weeks ago. Of course, I'm a little bit weaker, but the biggest difference I noticed was the sweep. My (weaker) left side was more dominant and my right side acted more like support. Also, I didn't close all bars to 80-90 degrees like I would usually do, because that part hurts the most. But everything was beyond 40. 

Warmup:
- Low-intensity high volume Wrist, forearm, shoulder exercises
- WD2 (suedes) in DU position 20x (1-1), (2-2), (3-3), 10x (4-4)
Singles (IMP corduras):
My IMPs arrived, so I had to try it. As I suspected, it's basically the same 1050d cordura I have. Maybe a little bit stiffer. 
- 2x Drill rod (SK95) 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")
- CRS (SCM435) 7mm x 165mm (9/32" x 6.5")
- CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 165mm (9/32" x 6.5")

Main:
Doubles (cordura + leather):
- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 203mm (5/16" x 8")
- 2x CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 178mm (21/64" x 7")
- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 153mm (5/16 x 6")
- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 165mm (5/16" x 6.5")

Doubles (2xleathers, faat pads):
- Stainless (SUS304H) 8mm x 190mm (5/16" x 7.5")
I knew I have to switch to double leathers if I want this down now. I wasn't that tired, and my wrist felt the same as at the beginning of the workout (so not super good, but didn't get worse). But this stock is crazy hard. It has a little bit higher Carbon content than the "normal" 304. If every order from this manufacturer is about this hard, it will be good for progressing towards the 8.8. 

Fun fact: I've bent 36.5kg/80.5lbs steel in 4 months haha 😄

20220715..JPG

st.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

great bending. That is very impressive. like 20lbs a month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

great bending. That is very impressive. like 20lbs a month. 

Thanks! I did a lot of volume in the first two months to practice the technique and experiment with different angles, etc. And I think I will do the same for a while and don't max out. I need to work on my overall technique in singles and from 10 degrees to 40 degrees in doubles. 

2022/07/17

Wrist Developer 2 (single leathers):
All in both positions.
Orange spring:
- 20x (1-1)
- 20x (2-2)
- 20x (3-3)
- 20x (4-4)

CROM spring:
- 5x Level 6 (1-1)
- 5x Level 9 (2-2)

Recently I used the WD2 for DU warmup, but today I wanted to do a few high intensity reps in reverse position. Overall felt good, Level 9 was fairly hard for me now. My stronger side (left hand front) felt weaker today, and this is very obvious from the video. Probably because it was a little bit painful to hold it with my right (back) hand due to my wrist injury. Btw I might missed the first rep with left front, not sure, but oh well other reps were clean. I didn't push it more. 

Edit: I just realized I held the WD2 in a "wrong" position (the springs facing me). But I guess there is no difference in difficulty, just the safety factor.

Grippers:

Feels like it's been ages I did a proper gripper workout. I will definitely do one next week, this is just some maintenance.
- GD Iron 90, level 3, wide spread, without extension, handles touching
RH/LH: 1x30 
- GG4 x CPW (RGC 115) MMS
RH: 1x15
LH: 1x12
- IM CoC #3 (unrated) parallel choked
RH: 4x5

Easy. 
LH: 4x1
Not that easy, just barely missed two.  

Btw my face is the prettiest when I do the WD2. 😉

20220717.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

2022/07/18

Forearms (recovery/conditioning)

5x24 all:

Wrist curls

Reverse wrist curls

Finger curls

3x24 all:

Ulnar deviation

Radial deviation

Nice, relatively long recovery forearm workout and the pump was real 😄. Nothing hard but I enjoyed this one. 

1.png

2.png

Edited by matek
  • Like 6