matek's training log

matek

2 hours ago, matek said:

2022/08/08

Push

Bodyweight: 103.6kg/228lbs

Weighted pushups using pushup stands

- 10x16 with 20kg/44lbs

Had to put down my knees and regroup before the last two reps of the last set. Otherwise fine, I really enjoyed these pushup stands. 

Pushups using pushup stands

- 5x18

Last two sets were not easy above 12 reps, already tired. Breaks needed to be longer. 

Chests/shoulder crushes with adjustable armbar

- 5x12 at the widest position/highest resistance

Triceps pushdowns with bands

- 5x20

20220808.jpeg

That thing is cool. I know we've talked about it before. I have the Chest Krusher and I don't know why but I love that thing. There are plenty other ways to strengthen the upper body but devices like this are really good at it too. Especially because you need to keep a constant tension or the thing will spring back.  I also like holding it against my body and closing it. Good way to train for braced bending.  Its really developed my upper body too.  I might take a spring out/lower resistance and try closing it with my arms extended. Have you ever tried that?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That thing is cool. I know we've talked about it before. I have the Chest Krusher and I don't know why but I love that thing. There are plenty other ways to strengthen the upper body but devices like this are really good at it too. Especially because you need to keep a constant tension or the thing will spring back.  I also like holding it against my body and closing it. Good way to train for braced bending.  Its really developed my upper body too.  I might take a spring out/lower resistance and try closing it with my arms extended. Have you ever tried that?

Yes I did that multiple times! If you would like to isolate your chest more, extending your arms is a good idea. If you do that in a superset with pushups, the chest pump will be crazy. 

I also like the device a lot, and agree with what you said. But the resistance is just not enough on mine 🙁. Maybe one day I'll buy the chest krusher, but for the price with shipping, I could get an inch dumbbell + 50lbs blob...

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

2022/08/09

Thick bar

Fat Gripz Extreme (2.75") double overhand deadlifts

- 5x3 90kg/198lbs

I didn't increase deadlift  weights from last week, but it was noticeably easier this week, even with shorter breaks. 

Fat Gripz original (2.25") double overhand deadlifts

- 2x1 125kg/276lbs 

- 3x3 115kg/254lbs

Fat gripz original one-handed dumbbell lift (~2.48" on the dumbbell)

- RH 5x1 59kg/130lbs

2 released at top, other were controlled on the way down as well. 

- LH 5x1 57kg/125lbs

1 released at top, other were controlled on the way down as well. 

- RH 10x1 57kg/125lbs

1 released at top, other were controlled on the way down as well. 

-LH 10x1 54kg/120lbs

All were controlled on the way down as well. 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, mikhael said:

I also use Fat Gripz in DL, and it is much more tougher to lift more than 90kg from the ground. 

I know, it's a strange feeling because my back tells me I could do this for hours but then the grip... 

My (somewhat short-term) goal now is to reach 110kg on the Fat Gripz extreme (orange) and 140kg on the Fat gripz original (blue). 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, matek said:

I know, it's a strange feeling because my back tells me I could do this for hours but then the grip... 

My (somewhat short-term) goal now is to reach 110kg on the Fat Gripz extreme (orange) and 140kg on the Fat gripz original (blue). 

I similar goal, to lift 120, but I don't use original FG. Nonetheless, they are 2.6 cm. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mikhael said:

I similar goal, to lift 120, but I don't use original FG. Nonetheless, they are 2.6 cm. 

I guess you mean the radius 👍 That's a great goal, good luck getting it!

• Like 1

2022/08/10

Wrist, forearms

- Finger curls both hands 8x14

- Wrist curls 5x20

Had to reduce the resistance for the last reps because wrists just didn't want to move anymore.

- Ulnar deviation 6x20

Forearms almost blew up 😅

(+ did some cardio at the end)

20220810_1.jpeg

20220810_2.jpeg

• Like 10

2022/08/11

Pull

Weighted neutral grip pullups

- 7x3 56kg/124lbs 

I was hoping for 5x4, but I already knew from the warmup that it's not going to happen today.

Band assisted one arm pullups

- 10x1 both arms

This felt easier than the last time I tried it. Shorter rests also. 

Lat pulldown wide grip

- 6x10 120kg/265lbs

Somebody was using the rowing machine I like so did some well-controlled lat pulldowns. 

• Like 6

2022/08/12

Short braced bending

Every bar/bolt were 6"/152mm long. All were bent below 2", although some were suuper close 😅. None of the bends were above 3 mins. Fun session!

CRS (SS400):

- 8mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")

- 8.3mm x 152mm (21/64" x 6")

- 8.5mm x 152mm (1/3" x 6")

- Hex 8mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")

- 9mm x 152mm (23/64" x 6")

The supplier of the 8.5mm bar is different than the others, and that steel is milder. Felt about the same as the 8.3mm bar. These were all done without breaks, just sticking the bars into the wraps. The 9mm bar went really off-center which made it a little bit hard, but no problem. 

Bolts:

- Grade 8.8 bolt 8mm x 150mm (5/16" x 6")

- G5 bolt (mark P) 7.9mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")

- G5 bolt (mark KS) 7.9mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")

The mark P grade 5 was really easy, the mark KS was about the same as the 8.8; much harder on the crush. 

Stainless:

- Square (SUS304) 7mm x 152mm (9/32" x 6")

- Hex (SUS304H) 8mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")

- Round (SUS304H) 8.4mm x 152mm (21/64" x 6")

The normal 304 square was super easy. Actually I got this for unbraced, but wanted to try it braced first. But this cursed higher carbon 304... the hex was about as hard as the harder G5, and the 8.4mm round was undoubtedly even harder. I hit almost exactly 2" then stopped because the skin on top of my hand started to get trashed. 

20220812.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

2022/08/13

DU bending (singles)

Single IMP corduras:

- 5x CRS (SS400) 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7") 

- 5x CRS (SS400) 7mm x 152mm (9/32" x 6") 

- Horrido A2-70 bolt (Stainless 303) 8mm x 180mm (5/16" x 7")

This was for the Horrido 2022 bending competition (1 min time limit, single IMPs). The bend took 58-59 seconds 😅, wasn't measuring the time, have to be more careful next time. I'm not particularly satisfied with my performance, but I had to modify my style a little bit because of my wrist issues. Anyways, it is what it is, and the attempt was accepted. 

Single (but thicker) leathers:

- Bend Sport Canada Moose bar (CRS 1018) 7.9mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")

First time trying this bar. Similar to the normal CRS I buy locally. I will make a cert attempt next time. 

Wrist developer 2 in DU position (single suedes):

- 3x10 (4-4) Orange spring

Tore a beer cap (barehanded) later while watching movies🙃

20220813_1.JPG

20220813_2.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, matek said:

2022/08/13

DU bending (singles)

Single IMP corduras:

- 5x CRS (SS400) 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7") 

- 5x CRS (SS400) 7mm x 152mm (9/32" x 6") 

- Horrido A2-70 bolt (Stainless 303) 8mm x 180mm (5/16" x 7")

This was for the Horrido 2022 bending competition (1 min time limit, single IMPs). The bend took 58-59 seconds 😅, wasn't measuring the time, have to be more careful next time. I'm not particularly satisfied with my performance, but I had to modify my style a little bit because of my wrist issues. Anyways, it is what it is, and the attempt was accepted. 

Single (but thicker) leathers:

First time trying this bar. Similar to the normal CRS I buy locally. I will make a cert attempt next time. 

Wrist developer 2 in DU position (single suedes):

- 3x10 (4-4) Orange spring

Tore a beer cap (barehanded) later while watching movies🙃

20220813_1.JPG

20220813_2.JPG

I Love it...  I try tearing them into at least 4 pieces...  Its actually a great little conditioner for the fingers and it has toughened up my skin.  As the cap weakens try to use your weaker fingers and places in hand with less leverage. 

Be careful....one time after a few rounds, I was tearing another cap when I noticed it started to feel sticky. I had a huge slice in my thumb. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I Love it...  I try tearing them into at least 4 pieces...  Its actually a great little conditioner for the fingers and it has toughened up my skin.  As the cap weakens try to use your weaker fingers and places in hand with less leverage. 

Be careful....one time after a few rounds, I was tearing another cap when I noticed it started to feel sticky. I had a huge slice in my thumb. 

Haha sounds fun!

Yeah I it's mostly a "skin exercise" . I will tear one into four pieces next time!

• Like 2

2022/08/14 Grippers

RH:
- 1x MMS GHP #7
- 2x1 MMS CoC #3

Missed one with the Coc.
- 5x1 26mm choked GoG Elite #6
This was too easy.
- 3x14 GD Iron 90, level 4, narrow spread (44mm), without extension, handles touching (filed stoppers)
I didn't set these.

LH:
- 3x1 MMS Standard Fe as far as it goes
I knew today I'm not going to get these, but got super close on the second try because somehow the set wasn't terrible. 😄
- 5x1 GD Iron 90, level 5, narrow spread (44mm), without extension, handles touching (filed stoppers)
I set it just a little bit. Missed the last one.
- 3x12 GD Iron 90, level 4, narrow spread (44mm), without extension, handles touching (filed stoppers)
I didn't set these.

Grippers are on maintenance for a while now, but that's ok (well, better than getting weaker). For me, one gripper workout per week is just not enough to progress (this may change in the future when I'm more experienced). Also, my CNS is just too tired at this point of the week, and I cannot give my "best".

2022/08/15 Push

Pushups using pushup stands, with 20kg/44lbs weight vest
- 10x17
- 5x14

Chests/shoulder crushes with adjustable armbar
- 5x14 at the widest position/highest resistance

Armbar upside down, close to body, mainly shoulders.
- 5x10 at the widest position/highest resistance
Arms extended to maybe around 130 degrees. I really felt my inner chest. 

Some wrist forearm recovery
- 2x36 ulnar deviation, radial deviation
+ I macgyvered a wrist roller and played with it a little bit using a protein jar of bent steel (~40lbs)

20220814.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

So today was a slow day for me at work and I ended up going through your entire training log lol 😁 I have a bunch of  questions for you Matek if you don't mind. 

You do pushups as a main movement for push days. Why is that? Not doubting you at all just really curious. Why not dips instead? Just overall preferance or do you feel you get more out of weighted pushups vs dips? Or perhaps they're redundant? You used to be a powerlifter but I noticed you don't benchpress, is this just due to your shoulder issues or do you find it's simply not needed for the beastly bending and gripping you do? Do you believe OHP has better carryover to bending and other endevours? 

I recall your squats being very strong. But I noticed for the past couple of months you haven't mentioned training them. Are you still squatting or just taking a break? To be fair you perform some thick bar deadlifts which is some lower body activation but probably not to the extent of squats. Do they just not have as much of a place for your current goals?

I really enjoy reading your training log so I hope my questions don't come off as doubting you in anyway. I'm just seeking to understand. I know you have an experienced background in calisthenics and climbing but really curious about why weighted pushups as opposed to dips and/or benchpress. As a former powerlifter myself I've lost most of my interest in bench and solely do it sparsely out of "obligation" lol. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the observant comment @Bigfoot Grip!

If you don't mind, I would like to go over the topics one-by-one not to miss anything. 

You do pushups as a main movement for push days. Why is that? Not doubting you at all just really curious. Why not dips instead? Just overall preferance or do you feel you get more out of weighted pushups vs dips? Or perhaps they're redundant? You used to be a powerlifter but I noticed you don't benchpress, is this just due to your shoulder issues or do you find it's simply not needed for the beastly bending and gripping you do? Do you believe OHP has better carryover to bending and other endevours? 

For the bending I do, the best is to do overhead press, I have no doubt about it. And I love OHP, and I think I'm decent at it (especially if I do it every week). I love dips as well, I used to do it with really high weights. However, on the long run, it gave me elbow issues (I confirmed this a few months ago, and it was the same again). If I do it with like 20kgs or with higher weights but not full range of motion it's fine, but I don't like to do things suboptimal so I just don't do it anymore. Btw my shoulder issues are only because of flexibility. So when I'm complaining about my shoulders when there is a squat or pullup workout, it's about that. 

As a former powerlifter myself I've lost most of my interest in bench and solely do it sparsely out of "obligation" lol. 

This totally, but since I found grip this year, I started to feel this obligation less and less. 

Man, I just don't like benchpress. I spent so much time "perfecting" my bench technique, squeezing out everything I can, but it just didn't work well for me. I stayed shoulder and triceps dominant, and when I did Smolov Jr. I was able to do 160kg/353lbs which is not very impressive at ~115-117kg bw 😪. Btw this time my max strict OHP was 117.5.kg. If I would've stuck with powerlifting, I'm sure my bench would've improved, but there were some injuries, my interests changed, had to write my PhD dissertation, covid...  I still think bench is a good hypertrophy exercise, and I like doing raised leg benchpress, and supersetting it with pushups. 

Recently I thought about it and just purely from the aesthetics point of view, I still should do some kind of chest stuff besides sometimes playing with my armbar, and what I get from bending. I think pushups (with different variations) can be a really good hypertrophy exercise even on its own. And I can do it at home, I don't have to go to the gym. Btw if I would have the equipment at home, I would do the raised leg-pushup combo. 

I want to do 1 week pushups/1 week OHP for now, but yesterday I decided it's better if I do the pushups at home, because my wrist can stay completely neutral with the pushup stands. As you read my logs you know I have had issues with my right wrist for a while now, and I want to minimize the "damage" on it besides bending. 

I recall your squats being very strong. But I noticed for the past couple of months you haven't mentioned training them. Are you still squatting or just taking a break? To be fair you perform some thick bar deadlifts which is some lower body activation but probably not to the extent of squats. Do they just not have as much of a place for your current goals?

Before those thick bar workouts, I still do some squats but only up to 140kg (3-4 sets). Usually, I don't log these because I count them as warmup (I only log a warmup when I think it was really good and I should do the same in later workouts). So basically yes, I'm taking a break from it besides these warmups. Three reasons: 1. Here, you still must wear a mask (properly) inside gyms, otherwise you're out. I love squats, but you can imagine it's not very fun to do it in a mask. But this is more like an excuse. 2. If I do squats and pullups in the same week, pullups are really painful in my shoulders for the first few sets. And I really want to get better at neutral grip weighted pullups. Maybe lose some weight, be around 95kg and do a full range one arm pullup. 3. And this is the main reason: it is really hard to put it into my current training routine. I might give a try doing an 8 or 9 day routine, but when I do my programming, I consider things like usually how much work I have that day (at my job I mean), usually how I feel about going to the gym vs. workout out at home on a particular day, etc. With an 8 day routine, it is kinda hard to do that. But I should still consider it because I want to start pinching soon. 

I really enjoy reading your training log so I hope my questions don't come off as doubting you in anyway. 

Not at all! And thanks a lot!

Edited by matek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2022/08/16

Thick bar 

Fat Gripz Extreme (2.75") double overhand deadlifts
- 2x3 and 3x2 92.5kg/204lbs

Fat Gripz original (2.25") double overhand deadlifts
- 1x 125kg/276lbs

Probably because I increased the weight with the FGE, I dropped the second set above my knees, so I won't count that. 
- 2x3 115kg/254lbs 
- 2x8 and 2x7 105kg/231lbs

I realized that in case of thick bar, the line between "I can easily rep that", and "nope" is really thin. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, matek said:

Thanks for the observant comment @Bigfoot Grip!

If you don't mind, I would like to go over the topics one-by-one not to miss anything. 

For the bending I do, the best is to do overhead press, I have no doubt about it. And I love OHP, and I think I'm decent at it (especially if I do it every week). I love dips as well, I used to do it with really high weights. However, on the long run, it gave me elbow issues (I confirmed this a few months ago, and it was the same again). If I do it with like 20kgs or with higher weights but not full range of motion it's fine, but I don't like to do things suboptimal so I just don't do it anymore. Btw my shoulder issues are only because of flexibility. So when I'm complaining about my shoulders when there is a squat or pullup workout, it's about that. 

This totally, but since I found grip this year, I started to feel this obligation less and less. 

Man, I just don't like benchpress. I spent so much time "perfecting" my bench technique, squeezing out everything I can, but it just didn't work well for me. I stayed shoulder and triceps dominant, and when I did Smolov Jr. I was able to do 160kg/353lbs which is not very impressive at ~115-117kg bw 😪. Btw this time my max strict OHP was 117.5.kg. If I would've stuck with powerlifting, I'm sure my bench would've improved, but there were some injuries, my interests changed, had to write my PhD dissertation, covid...  I still think bench is a good hypertrophy exercise, and I like doing raised leg benchpress, and supersetting it with pushups. 

Recently I thought about it and just purely from the aesthetics point of view, I still should do some kind of chest stuff besides sometimes playing with my armbar, and what I get from bending. I think pushups (with different variations) can be a really good hypertrophy exercise even on its own. And I can do it at home, I don't have to go to the gym. Btw if I would have the equipment at home, I would do the raised leg-pushup combo. 

I want to do 1 week pushups/1 week OHP for now, but yesterday I decided it's better if I do the pushups at home, because my wrist can stay completely neutral with the pushup stands. As you read my logs you know I have had issues with my right wrist for a while now, and I want to minimize the "damage" on it besides bending. 

Before those thick bar workouts, I still do some squats but only up to 140kg (3-4 sets). Usually, I don't log these because I count them as warmup (I only log a warmup when I think it was really good and I should do the same in later workouts). So basically yes, I'm taking a break from it besides these warmups. Three reasons: 1. Here, you still must wear a mask (properly) inside gyms, otherwise you're out. I love squats, but you can imagine it's not very fun to do it in a mask. But this is more like an excuse. 2. If I do squats and pullups in the same week, pullups are really painful in my shoulders for the first few sets. And I really want to get better at neutral grip weighted pullups. Maybe lose some weight, be around 95kg and do a full range one arm pullup. 3. And this is the main reason: it is really hard to put it into my current training routine. I might give a try doing an 8 or 9 day routine, but when I do my programming, I consider things like usually how much work I have that day (at my job I mean), usually how I feel about going to the gym vs. workout out at home on a particular day, etc. With an 8 day routine, it is kinda hard to do that. But I should still consider it because I want to start pinching soon. 

Not at all! And thanks a lot!

Awesome, thank you very much for the detailed response 👍 

Very interesting observations about ohp to bending carryover. I love watching your hexabastard bends. I'm interested in giving bending a shot maybe sometime in the future. It's nice there are so many resources and super strong benders on the board! 

Wow, it sounds like we would have a very similar wilks formula on the competition bench press. My best result was 175kg@125kg raw. 177.5kg in training. 112.5kg strict ohp. Understandable you would prioritize your PhD over powerlifting endeavours. You must be focused and busy with your academic life and/or career. Off topic a bit here but recently I saw a video of a "zero rom bench press" recently. There is talk in the IPF of making lifters use a flat back in the future(2023). I figure with your background in gymnastics and powerlifting etc. you may be interested in this. 

Thanks for giving me some new ideas on how to incorporate squats with barbell thick bar work. I always trained barbell squats on a seperate day but I can see how they would provide a great warmup for the axle deadlift. Huge thanks again Matek for the detailed reply!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I'm interested in giving bending a shot maybe sometime in the future.

I think you would get very strong fast @Bigfoot Grip!

You must be focused and busy with your academic life and/or career.

Very much so, but in the last ~10 days, I'm having a break. Wanted to go to the beach for a few days with wife, but no luck with the weather..

My best result was 175kg@125kg raw. 177.5kg in training.

Nah that sounds better than mine. Btw just to be transparent: the 160kg was in training for me (although replicated a few times).

Off topic a bit here but recently I saw a video of a "zero rom bench press" recently.

Thanks, very interesting! I've trained powerlifting with Japanese men and women from different weight classes, and they are extremely efficient benchers. I would've never reached even that level I was at without the help of my training partners. Never saw something like this zero rom bench though, crazy. 

There is talk in the IPF of making lifters use a flat back in the future(2023). 

Although I agree that there is too much variation in bench and in general, it makes the sport ridiculous for a "normal" person, this might be very hard to implement. Also, a healthy arch with shoulder blades retracted and pushed down helps  protect the shoulders (I know you know this, just mentioning). 

The other is sumo deadlift. I'm absolutely not against sumo, people who are stronger that way should do that in comp, because it is allowed by the rules. But the lift is just too different. Of course some people are stronger in conventional, but this is entirely irrelevant. I almost only did conventional, but I wouldn't mind if they would make it sumo only. The point is standardization.

I wish the sport of strengthlifting would be more popular (back squat-ohp-conv dead, with weigh-outs).

Edited by matek
  • Thanks 1

2022/08/17

DU bending (singles and doubles)

Finally a good DU workout. Putting the bar/pad lower in my palm helped a lot with my wrist issues. Not perfect, but better.
Made two cert attempts as well (Moose at 6" and Golden bastard). I will update the post (accept/fail) as I get a response. 

Singles (thicker leather):
- Drill rod (SK95) 7.6mm x 185mm (19/64" x 7.3")
I forgot to record this bend, but it was more like a warmup anyway.
Cert attempt. Update: cert was accepted, Josh replied really fast.
- FBBC Golden bastard (Brass) 9.52mm x 178mm (3/8" x 7")
Cert attempt (in hope FBBC certs will resurrect), the stock is from Andrew. First time bending brass. It surprised me at the first hit, but a quick modification of hand position fixed the problem.
- 70d nail (CRS I guess) 7.9mm x 178mm (5/16"x 7")
First time trying this (I can't buy this locally). Honestly, this was obviously harder than the Red nail after. I've heard there is a big variation in nails, this must've been a harder batch. BTW these are from @devinhoo ECGB. Update: I sent the full video to Devin, and he added me to the ECGB unbraced nail roster. 
- IronMind Red nail (CRS) 7.9mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7")
When I bought the IM pads from CPW, I could add a single Red nail to the order while keeping the shipping fee at  minimum. It is what it is - 5/16" CRS, not much to say here.

Doubles (cordura + leather)

I was getting tired at this point, so I switched to doubles.
- Stainless (304) square 7mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7")
This was too easy. This batch of 304 square is pretty mild, very-very ductile. It was a "waste" doing it in doubles, but oh well. I will cut down the rest and bend them in singles.
- 2x CRS (mild steel) 8.5mmm x 178mm (1/3" x 7")
This strange diameter CRS is from a different manufacturer than my usual CRS, and I already knew it's milder. My usual 21/64" feels much-much harder. It felt about the same as my usual 5/16" lol. But it's fun to bend thick stuff!
- 2x CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 178mm (21/64" x 7")
Not gonna lie, these were not easy at this point, so the doubles were justified.

Every bend was 40+ degrees.

All bends:

The certs attempts:

20220817.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 5

One thing i've always wondered, why do people stop at 40 degrees?  Sorry if this is a stupid question. Is it just because you are strengthening the kink and saving your energy?

I also know people but kinks in steel, let it sit and it will be harder to bend.

I know you have to practice certain areas to get stronger to move on to bigger bends but it would drive me crazy to not fully bend a piece of steel.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:24 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

One thing i've always wondered, why do people stop at 40 degrees?  Sorry if this is a stupid question. Is it just because you are strengthening the kink and saving your energy?

I also know people but kinks in steel, let it sit and it will be harder to bend.

I know you have to practice certain areas to get stronger to move on to bigger bends but it would drive me crazy to not fully bend a piece of steel.

It is not astupid question at all. I also thought about it before.

- Why do I bend the steel to 40-90? Because 40 is the requirement for certs in DU (same for reverse btw). Usually I'm satisfied, if the bend is around 75 degrees btw, but this is just personal. That usually feels really good, if this makes sense. But it has nothing to do with hardening the steel or smg like that. Those steel are done.

- Why don't I crush those bends to sub 2" in DO position? I think in the very beginning of my bending journey in March, I did this. But I realized it is not efficient - it won't really improve my DU game, and I'm not really interested in DO for now (ok, my mobility is crap 😄). Let's say I do DO and my crush is weak. Then I would definitely "finish" these bars!

- Why 40 is the requirement for DU? I don't know, but historically it was an extremely wrist oriented bending style relying much less on your upper back and shoulder muscles. So probably 40 made sense (?). I think most of the DU benders nowadays do something which was called "modified DU" on the Gripboard when we were young teenagers (edit: even later, looks like people made a clear distinction even in the early 2010s). Fat doubles or IMPs, I only do modified DU. If you're interested in the conventional DU style, I recommend watching bending videos from Shawn Kapusta (angrybeaver316 on instagram), he is an extremely badass bender.

Edited by matek
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, matek said:

It is not stupid question at all. I also thought about it before.

- Why do I bend the steel to 40-90? Because 40 is the requirement for certs in DU (same for reverse btw). Usually I'm satisfied, if the bend is around 75 degrees btw, but this is just personal. That usually feels really good, if this makes sense . But it has nothing to do with hardening the steel or smg like that. Those steel are done.

- Why don't I crush those bends to sub 2" in DO position? I think in the very beginning of my bending journey in March, I did this. But I realized it is not efficient - it won't really improve my DU game, and I'm not really interested in DO for now (ok, my mobility is crap 😄). Let's say I do DO and my crush is weak. Then I would definitely "finish" these bars!

- Why 40 is the requirement for DU? I don't know, but historically it was an extremely wrist oriented bending style relying much less on your upper back and shoulder muscles. So probably 40 made sense (?). I think most of the DU benders nowadays do something which was called "modified DU" on the Gripboard when we were young teenagers. Fat doubles or IMPs, I only do modified DU. If you're interested in the conventional DU style, I recommend watching bending videos from Shawn Kapusta (angrybeaver316 on instagram), he is an extremely badass bender.

Thanks you answered a lot.  Right now I’m focused on reverse. It feels the most natural to me. Also like how when I go for the crush , it goes from wrist focused to upper body. That explains a lot, I don’t care about certifying. I just love bending steel and the physical and mental strength it takes. 

and peoples reactions when I tell them what i do

• Like 1

2022/08/18 Pull

BW at 103.8kg/229lbs

Weighted neutral grip pullups
- 10x3 56kg/123lbs

This weight was noticeably easier than last week.  
- 5x5 46kg/101lbs

Seated cable row, wide grip 
- 5x12 113.5kg/250lbs (full stack)

• Like 7