matek's training log

matek

Nice work Matek! What does your training routine looks like right now?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Nice work Matek! What does your training routine looks like right now?

Thank you!

Actually, I just changed it this week because by left elbow is completely healed. I think I can do heavy pulling again and will try fat bar and pinch as well once per week. So compared to my routine in the past month; more variety, somewhat less grippers and less bending.

1: heavy grippers

2: gym: squat, fat bar deadlift, ohp (if my shoulders are ok after squat), kettlebell wrist deadlift

3: DU bending in doubles

4: pinch block, weighted pullups, rowing

5: braced bending or/and cardio

6: lighter grippers and chest crushes

7: DU bending in singles

This is the plan, but it's not carved into stone. This week I already switched 4 with 6, and if I try to cert on something I will take a few days off. Also, I'm trying to do high rep wrist/forearms stuff at least 2 times/week because it helps a lot with recovery. 

Also, if I meet my friends or go somewhere with my wife in the evening, I have to work out in the morning. So if I do it, it's gonna be much lighter. I'm really not that good at grip-related stuff in the morning. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, matek said:

Thank you!

Actually, I just changed it this week because by left elbow is completely healed. I think I can do heavy pulling again and will try fat bar and pinch as well once per week. So compared to my routine in the past month; more variety, somewhat less grippers and less bending.

1: heavy grippers

2: gym: squat, fat bar deadlift, ohp (if my shoulders are ok after squat), kettlebell wrist deadlift

3: DU bending in doubles

4: pinch block, weighted pullups, rowing

5: braced bending or/and cardio

6: lighter grippers and chest crushes

7: DU bending in singles

This is the plan, but it's not carved into stone. This week I already switched 4 with 6, and if I try to cert on something I will take a few days off. Also, I'm trying to do high rep wrist/forearms stuff at least 2 times/week because it helps a lot with recovery. 

Also, if I meet my friends or go somewhere with my wife in the evening, I have to work out in the morning. So if I do it, it's gonna be much lighter. I'm really not that good at grip-related stuff in the morning. 

That’s my problem, I’m actually way way better at grip in the evening but I own a construction company. I need to work out in the morning.  I’m tired after work. I do sledgehammer swings and yoga after work but that’s it. 

I’m mostly a home body and home most nights. But I like working out in the morning in case some thing comes up.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s my problem, I’m actually way way better at grip in the evening but I own a construction company. I need to work out in the morning.  I’m tired after work. I do sledgehammer swings and yoga after work but that’s it. 

I’m mostly a home body and home most nights. But I like working out in the morning in case some thing comes up.

Yes I can imagine working out (especially doing grip) after physical labor is completely different. I would choose the morning also.

I can do high rep work in the mornings, but high intensity stuff just doesn't work very well. I never have problems waking up early, but waking up my CNS is another thing...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matek said:

Yes I can imagine working out (especially doing grip) after physical labor is completely different. I would choose the morning also.

I can do high rep work in the mornings, but high intensity stuff just doesn't work very well. I never have problems waking up early, but waking up my CNS is another thing...

For years I lifted MWF and cardio TTS... I recently reversed the days. I love weight day on Saturday now, because I don't typically work Saturdays (i should). But there is no rush, I so I start my workouts about 7am and that extra time to wake up in the morning makes a difference. 

• Like 1

2022/06/03

Short bar braced bending (between thighs with doubles of cordura + leather)

2x CRS HEX 5/16" x 7" (8mm x 180mm)

2x CRS 23/64" x 7.5" (9mm x 190mm)

CRS 25/64" x 8.7" (10mm x 220mm)

This last one was a big boy (picture)! Honestly, I wanted to do some more but the skin already started to come off from the top of my hand. 

20220603.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

2022/06/04

DU bending (single wraps):

Single corduras:

5x CRS (S45C) 9/32" x 7" (7mm x 180mm)

It was ok but I really messed up the skin on my pinkies.

Single leathers:

CRS (SS400) 5/16" x 7" (8mm x 180mm)

CRS (SS400) 5/16" x 7.5" (8mm x 190mm)

I massaged some "horse balm" warming gel to my wrists before the session, and I have to say I really liked it. 

• Like 8

You are strong as hell! Very impressive DU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

You are strong as hell! Very impressive DU

Thank you, I really enjoy it! Want to get at least 5 bars of 8.3mm x 180mm CRS in doubles next week. Also the 8mm x 180mm in single corduras in 2-3 weeks. 

2022/06/05

Pinch block, some rows, wrists/forearms recovery 

I tried pinching like two times a few months ago, but at that time I had elbow and thumb problems so I didn't start training with blocks. Now I'm fine and looking forward to progress on this lift. 
I still don't have plates, so I was using my 20kg weight vest and a protein tub filled with some of the steel I've bent (17.3kg). Put these into one of my hiking backpacks 😄

60mm (2.36") pinch block
RH/LH 21.4kg (47.2lbs) 8x1 with a few seconds hold

60mm (2.36") pinch block two hand hold
38.7kg (85.32lbs) 3x25 sec 
I can't fit both of my hands on the block, so my pinkies were not fully on it. Getting a flask would be cool.

7x16 strict pendlay row with band + rolling pin

2x24 radial deviation
2x24 ulnar deviation
2x36 reverse wrist curls

Just for recovery, light stuff. 

20220605_1.JPG

20220605_2.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

2022/06/06

Grippers

I did some heavier stuff (for me anyway), but low volume because my hands are tired from the bending and pinching in the weekend.

RH: 4x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS

I tried to hold the first one as long as I could. Missed one.

LH: 4x1 Standard Fe RGC 134 MMS

Only got one 😐. Left hand set was really clumsy today. 

U-shaped 1.2"/30mm parallel adjustable gripper RGC ~137

RH/LH: 5x1

Missed one with both hands. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

As I mentioned, my hands were a little bit beat up yesterday but tried the MM0 cert again, because I had to prove myself I can do it on any day. I opened the gripper a little bit wider than parallel just to be sure. I tried to hold it as long as I could so the gripper opened near the end of the hold, but I managed to hold it for a few secs in fully closed position. The cert attempt was accepted, three whites. BW on the day of the close: 100.8kg/222lbs. 

My next gripper goal is the official GHP #7 cert (with the GHP block). 

20220606_1.jpeg

20220606_3.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

2022/06/07

Fat bar, wrist deadlifts, and some squats and shoulders

Kettlebell wrist deadlifts

RH: 40kg (88.2lbs) 3x4

LH: 40kg (88.2lbs) 3x3

RH/LH: 32kg (70.5lbs) 3x12

Releasing it down/back was ugly on some reps. If I'm not careful it loses balance completely and good luck to me supinating it back suddenly 😅

Beltless squats 150kg (330.7lbs) 5x5

With relatively short breaks, of ~2 mins. I don't like this cardio squatting that much, but I want to save my CNS for bending. 

Fat gripz extreme (2.75") double overhand deadlift

95kg (209.4lbs) 3x1

90kg (198.4lbs) 3x2

Last week when I tried this it was a little bit weird, but it felt much better this week.

Fat gripz extreme (2.75") double overhand thumbless deadlift

85kg (187.4lbs) 5x3

The first set hurt a little bit on the top of my hand, but gradually got better. Actually the last one felt the easiest, I held the reps a little bit. 

Some random shoulder press machine 5x10 with the full stack

I wanted to do OHP, but I just can't do it on the same day as squats, it hurts my shoulders. My mobility got better since I started bending, but still pretty bad. 

And my Wrist Developer 2 has arrived! So obviously, I had to try it. I put a nice black soft suede on it and played around with the orange spring. I could quickly see there are two ways to use the WD2: one is for strict wrist development, the other is actually getting good and efficient at the device, and possible reverse bending. I worked my way up to a single with both hand positions using the CROM spring at 1-1 (Level 6). I'm not doing reverse bending, so I think I will use the orange training spring more for slower, controlled reps. But who knows. I can see myself overdoing it because it's so much fun haha. 😄 

20220607.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, matek said:

2022/06/07

Fat bar, wrist deadlifts, and some squats and shoulders

Kettlebell wrist deadlifts

RH: 40kg (88.2lbs) 3x4

LH: 40kg (88.2lbs) 3x3

RH/LH: 32kg (70.5lbs) 3x12

Releasing it down/back was ugly on some reps. If I'm not careful it loses balance completely and good luck to me supinating it back suddenly 😅

Beltless squats 150kg (330.7lbs) 5x5

With relatively short breaks, of ~2 mins. I don't like this cardio squatting that much, but I want to save my CNS for bending. 

Fat gripz extreme (2.75") double overhand deadlift

95kg (209.4lbs) 3x1

90kg (198.4lbs) 3x2

Last week when I tried this it was a little bit weird, but it felt much better this week.

Fat gripz extreme (2.75") double overhand thumbless deadlift

85kg (187.4lbs) 5x3

The first set hurt a little bit on the top of my hand, but gradually got better. Actually the last one felt the easiest, I held the reps a little bit. 

Some random shoulder press machine 5x10 with the full stack

I wanted to do OHP, but I just can't do it on the same day as squats, it hurts my shoulders. My mobility got better since I started bending, but still pretty bad. 

And my Wrist Developer 2 has arrived! So obviously, I had to try it. I put a nice black soft suede on it and played around with the orange spring. I could quickly see there are two ways to use the WD2: one is for strict wrist development, the other is actually getting good and efficient at the device, and possible reverse bending. I worked my way up to a single with both hand positions using the CROM spring at 1-1 (Level 6). I'm not doing reverse bending, so I think I will use the orange training spring more for slower, controlled reps. But who knows. I can see myself overdoing it because it's so much fun haha. 😄 

20220607.jpg

Strong workout and nice work with the KB Wrist DL

12 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Strong workout and nice work with the KB Wrist DL

Thank you! These are so good I wonder why other people don't do it. 

Many of these kettlebell feats look easy in your videos because you're just so strong. 😄 

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, matek said:

Thank you! These are so good I wonder why other people don't do it. 

Many of these kettlebell feats look easy in your videos because you're just so strong. 😄 

I know you are doing great and very bright future in grip. Eastern Europe arm wrestlers have grown up with KB's and utilize them(Wrist specific) to fullest extent. IMO, most American youngsters have grown up with Dumbbells and think of wrist strength as merely flexion and pronation. As you know, all-around wrist strength takes more than flexion, pronation but all angles trained consistently and lot's of heart.

• Like 1

Wanted to share something cool- The KB wrist Deadlift- I got that exercise from a Russian man who had a pet bear, LOL! He is no longer on youtube but was a master at his craft with Kettlebells.

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I know you are doing great and very bright future in grip. Eastern Europe arm wrestlers have grown up with KB's and utilize them(Wrist specific) to fullest extent. IMO, most American youngsters have grown up with Dumbbells and think of wrist strength as merely flexion and pronation. As you know, all-around wrist strength takes more than flexion, pronation but all angles trained consistently and lot's of heart.

Definitely. And I'm learning a lot from your training logs/videos. 

7 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Wanted to share something cool- The KB wrist Deadlift- I got that exercise from a Russian man who had a pet bear, LOL! He is no longer on youtube but was a master at his craft with Kettlebells.

Hahaha what?! Interesting stuff!😄

• Like 1

@matek you are way stronger than me but ease into the WD2. I gave myself some nasty tendinitis and I couldn’t use it for months.  I love the thing though and it’s one of my favorite devices.  Try it for slow reps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

@matek you are way stronger than me but ease into the WD2. I gave myself some nasty tendinitis and I couldn’t use it for months.  I love the thing though and it’s one of my favorite devices.  Try it for slow reps.

Yes you're right of course, I really have to be careful not to overdo it. Slower reps really focusing on the wrist sounds better for my purposes anyway. 

Edited by matek

17 minutes ago, mikhael said:

How exactly is this looks like? 

Scroll down here: 

• Like 1

2022/06/08

DU bending (doubles of cordura + leather)

Warmup:
- 2x CRS (SS400) 9/32" x 7" (7.1mm x 180mm)
- CRS (SS400) 5/16" x 7.9" (8mm x 200mm)

Warmup felt harder than it should. I'm kinda tired and wrists and hands need some rest.

Main:
- CRS (SS400) HEX 5/16" x 7" (8mm x 180mm) - fail
This was too hard for me (today, anyway). I fought it down to ~20 degrees in like 25-30 mins (with long breaks). The first few hits were fine, but then it was mainly just ISO work with the hardened steel. Which is fine but I was completely smoked after this.

- CRS (SS400) 21/64" x 7" (8.3mm x 180mm) 
Last week I put this to ~80 degrees in two hits. This week it took a few mins to bend it to 40 degrees (still within 5 mins though). 
I didn't push it after this. 

Edit: Later I practiced with the WD2 in DU position (single suedes, wrist focused). This felt good, I went up to a few reps at Orange spring level 13 (5-5) well controlled. I know the WD2 is for reverse bending, but I think a lot of wrist movements can be practiced with it if done correctly.

Also note to myself: it may be better to switch the DU double wraps and DU single wraps days. 

20220608.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

2022/06/09

Pullups

I supposed to do pinching as well, but seems like 2 du bending, 2 gripper, 1 fat bar+wrist, and 1 pinch day per week was too ambitious. I have a feeling I would have elbow problems again in a few weeks, especially if I do heavy pullups every week and put in some wrist developer work. So I will ditch pinching (again 😅), because that's the worst for tennis elbow for sure. And if I reach a decent level on fat bar, I will switch to pinching and start it properly. 

Neutral grip weighted pullups, bw was 101kg (223lbs)

- 5x2 51kg (112.4lbs) 

- 5x3 46kg (101.4lbs)

- 5x4 41kg (90.4lbs)

- 5x5 36kg (79.4lbs)

Finally, pullups... I missed this. Seems like I didn't lose too much power. If elbows are ok next week, I will add more sets. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 6