matek's training log

matek

Like Stein said you're a beast! You look like you could pursue competitive bodybuilding and place quite respectively! I recall you saying you live in Japan? Do you get many strange looks from passer-bys given your stature and size?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Like Stein said you're a beast! You look like you could pursue competitive bodybuilding and place quite respectively! I recall you saying you live in Japan? Do you get many strange looks from passer-bys given your stature and size?

Thanks! Once I went down to ~6% bodyfat, but doing this all natural I've lost all my strength, and a really considerable amount of muscle mass. That being said, it was a valuable experience, being my own "sculptor". But I don't feel like I want to do it in the foreseeable future 😄. But I learned; never say never. 

Yes, it happens, but almost never in a rude way 🙂

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, matek said:

Thanks! Once I went down to ~6% bodyfat, but doing this all natural I've lost all my strength, and a really considerable amount of muscle mass. That being said, it was a valuable experience, being my own "sculptor". But I don't feel like I want to do it in the foreseeable future 😄. But I learned; never say never. 

Yes, it happens, but almost never in a rude way 🙂

Please be careful with such low bodyfat levels man.

Dropping below 10% is extremely unhealthy and there is a chance your testosterone might never bounce back.

I have heard stories of people dropping down that low once and they had to go on TRT for life.

A very small group of people feel fine while being at such low levels of bodyfat but even then it could still mess you up.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

Please be careful with such low bodyfat levels man.

Dropping below 10% is extremely unhealthy and  there is a chance your testosterone might never bounce back.

I have heard stories of people dropping down that low once and they had to go on TRT for life.

Thank you!

I know. And naturally, it's not even maintainable for a prolonged period, it's not like I was at 6% for months 😄. I don't regret doing it because it made me stronger mentally, but as I said, it's not something I want to do again. I experienced the other end as well, but I'm between 15-20% now (97-100kg), and this feels the best for me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, matek said:

Thank you!

I know. And naturally, it's not even maintainable for a prolonged period, it's not like I was at 6% for months 😄. I don't regret doing it because it made me stronger mentally, but as I said, it's not something I want to do again. I experienced the other end as well, but I'm between 15-20% now (97-100kg), and this feels the best for me. 

You sometimes just have to experience certain things so I understand where you are coming from.

The fact that it made you stronger mentally is obviously a huge plus.

I personally also feel a lot better at slightly higher bodyfat levels.

I am sitting at around 20% myself and I feel great.

20% is obviously the upper threshold of what's healthy but I don't mind being a bit on the "fluffier" side.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

You sometimes just have to experience certain things so I understand where you are coming from.

The fact that it made you stronger mentally is obviously a huge plus.

I personally also feel a lot better at slightly higher bodyfat levels.

I am sitting at around 20% myself and I feel great.

20% is obviously the upper threshold of what's healthy but I don't mind being a bit on the "fluffier" side.

To be honest, I feel good at even higher percentages. But my knees thank me every time for losing weight when I do hiking. 

20% is good. If I'm around 20% 10 years later (I'm 32 now), I will be happy 😄.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, matek said:

To be honest, I feel good at even higher percentages. But my knees thank me every time for losing weight when I do hiking. 

20% is good. If I'm around 20% 10 years later (I'm 32 now), I will be happy 😄.

I definitely know what it's like to have knee pain due to being overweight.

I used to weigh 148 kg (326 lbs) I then lost 48 kg (105.8) lbs and I now weigh 120 kg (265 lbs).

I cut down to 100 kg and bulked a bit too aggressively lol but it's fine cause I am still not fat because of my height.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

I used to weigh 148 kg (326 lbs) I then lost 48 kg (105.8) lbs and I now weigh 120 kg (265 lbs).

I cut down to 100 kg and bulked a bit too aggressively lol but it's fine cause I am still not fat because of my height.

Oh man 148kg is heavy, good for you on the weight loss. 28 kg difference is still huge, especially if you gained muscle during the process (which I assume you did). 

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, matek said:

Oh man 148kg is heavy, good for you on the weight loss. 28 kg difference is still huge, especially if you gained muscle during the process (which I assume you did). 

Thanks man.

It really is being too heavy sucks I used to have terrible knee pain, was out of breath all the time and I just felt like sh1t.

Yeah I did, I gained A LOT of muscle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I feel that tbh, Recently was bulking to go into a strongman comp, Got up to 155kg before i started having heart palpitations so i cut back down, Currently at 132.5kg myself

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I feel that tbh, Recently was bulking to go into a strongman comp, Got up to 155kg before i started having heart palpitations so i cut back down, Currently at 132.5kg myself

Health is number 1.

Strength and muscle mass don't mean anything if you aren't healthy.

I personally wouldn't trade or even risk my health for any strength goal in the world.

However, I do understand people wanting to compete at the highest level and risking your health is just a necessity at that point.

Having heart palpitations must've been scary as hell.

Edited by DevilErik

4 hours ago, DevilErik said:

thats awesome.. I was 215lbs at age 13..... I lost it over the course of 9th grade and always kept it off. Its crept up a couple times close to 200lbs but i wasn't as fat due to muscle and my body growing... 

Last year I got close to 200lbs again.... I surprising had more energy to work out I found, but it made  my work harder... Also was getting acid reflux...   I cut back on beer consumption and the weight melted off to 175lbs.   I don't care to be real lean, I love food too much.. But I don't want to be bulky... More wear and tear on the body.  There is a happy medium.  I feel better now than I did in high school. 

• Like 2

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

thats awesome.. I was 215lbs at age 13..... I lost it over the course of 9th grade and always kept it off. Its crept up a couple times close to 200lbs but i wasn't as fat due to muscle and my body growing... 

Last year I got close to 200lbs again.... I surprising had more energy to work out I found, but it made  my work harder... Also was getting acid reflux...   I cut back on beer consumption and the weight melted off to 175lbs.   I don't care to be real lean, I love food too much.. But I don't want to be bulky... More wear and tear on the body.  There is a happy medium.  I feel better now than I did in high school. 

Thanks!

Being too heavy while you are still growing isn't that bad carrying muscle mass definitely helps too.

Carrying extra bodyweight definitely gives you more energy but there is a point to where it's just not healthy anymore.

Like you said things get harder, even just moving around can be very taxing.

Acid reflux sucks especially when it's caused by something like being overweight.

Beer can get you fat real fast and the beer itself probably contributed to the acid reflux as well.

I also love food and I don't care about being real lean either there is definitely a happy medium.

I am glad you are doing better than you were back in high school man!

• Like 1

2022/04/23

Chest workout +forearms at home 

15x30 pushups in 20kg/44.1lb weight vest 

First 13 sets were fine, then in the last 2 sets I had to take a 10 sec break at rep 25 and 24. 

15x12 chest crush

I have a relatively cheap chest crusher which actually not that easy on the hardest setting, and works my upper chest really well. The Robert Baraban Chest Krusher would be the best, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend that money just on a chest crusher. 

Random sets x reps of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls

I'm not really doing "normal" wrist curls recently.. nice pump.

Edited by matek
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/04/23

Chest workout +forearms at home 

15x30 pushups in 20kg/44.1lb weight vest 

First 13 sets were fine, then in the last 2 sets I had to take a 10 sec break at rep 25 and 24. 

15x12 chest crush

I have a relatively cheap chest crusher which actually not that easy on the hardest setting, and works my upper chest really well. The Robert Baraban Chest Krusher would be the best, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend that money just on a chest crusher. 

Random sets x reps of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls

I'm not really doing "normal" wrist curls recently.. nice pump.

Thats some great volume on weighed pushups. Good man 👍

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thats some great volume on weighed pushups. Good man 👍

Thanks man, I really like doing them from time-to-time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks man, I really like doing them from time-to-time!

Pushups are gold! A very underated move i think. They are excellent for shoulder and scapular health. Ive been doing them for 23 years and wont ever stop. Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Pushups are gold! A very underated move i think. They are excellent for shoulder and scapular health. Ive been doing them for 23 years and wont ever stop. Keep up the great work.

That's a long time! And besides shoulder health, I think it's a good hypertrophy exercise as well. Sometimes I superset it with raised leg benchpress at the gym. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, matek said:

That's a long time! And besides shoulder health, I think it's a good hypertrophy exercise as well. Sometimes I superset it with raised leg benchpress at the gym. 

Thanks!

Yes i started doing them ages 12 and never stopped lol. I agree there are good for size in used right. I like clapping pushups for getting my CNS apped up before big lifts. In lockdown i was big into Pushups while holding 2 5kg plates in my hands. They were very grip heavy and difficult.

My favourite variation is Chaos pushups, have you ever tried them?

Where you do them with your hands on a resistance band spread over a low rack. They are very hard to control but very effective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Yes i started doing them ages 12 and never stopped lol. I agree there are good for size in used right. I like clapping pushups for getting my CNS apped up before big lifts. In lockdown i was big into Pushups while holding 2 5kg plates in my hands. They were very grip heavy and difficult.

My favourite variation is Chaos pushups, have you ever tried them?

Where you do them with your hands on a resistance band spread over a low rack. They are very hard to control but very effective. 

I also did clapping pushups a lot when I was younger, but I'm not doing them for many years now because my right wrist didn't like the "impact" from every rep. 

I knew pushups with bands were a thing, but never heard of this chaos pushups! Looks/sounds really hard, keeping your balance and everything. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, matek said:

I also did clapping pushups a lot when I was younger, but I'm not doing them for many years now because my right wrist didn't like the "impact" from every rep. 

I knew pushups with bands were a thing, but never heard of this chaos pushups! Looks/sounds really hard, keeping your balance and everything. 

Yes clapping pushups are tough on the wrists so i only use them every so often.

Chaos pushups are very hard but great fun, they will make just about every muscle in your body sore lol. If you have a rack and strong bands have a try. 

20220423_131727.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

every lifting day, 3 days a week.. I warm up with hindu or dive bomber pushups, hindu squats and bridges... plus handstand push up progressions. I'm working on even ladder sets of 20 down to 2.. Great warm up, built some muscle and helps with conditioning.. Now i'm messing around with one legged variations...  I want to learn Jack Lalane pushups... Those are cool.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

every lifting day, 3 days a week.. I warm up with hindu or dive bomber pushups, hindu squats and bridges... plus handstand push up progressions. I'm working on even ladder sets of 20 down to 2.. Great warm up, built some muscle and helps with conditioning.. Now i'm messing around with one legged variations...  I want to learn Jack Lalane pushups... Those are cool.

Good man, (i cant do any more post likes today) hindu pushups are a good variation. I remember back in the day they were very popular when matt furey was on the scene.

Now i mention him i bought his handstand pushup mail order training course lol. Maybe 20 years ago now, handstand pushups are tough as you will know.

Lalane was the man! All pushups are great i think, they all have different benefits.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

2022/04/24

Last week I didn't do pullups, so now it was time to bleed. BW is 98.7kg (217.6 lbs).

Weighted neutral grip pullups

51kg (112.4 lbs) 5x3: Hard. The last reps were not the prettiest at the last 2 sets.

46kg (101.4 lbs) 5x4: Easy. I think because I got warmed up properly.

41kg (90.4 lbs) 5x5: Ok, no problem.

36kg (79.4 lbs) 5x6: Ok, but last reps are getting ugly.

31kg (68.3 lbs) 5x6: No problem, but I didn't increase the rep count for these sets.

26kg (57.3 lbs) 5x7: Fine, but I had to rest more, and had to pump myself up for all sets to do it.

Felt so tired that was all I did.

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/04/24

Last week I didn't do pullups, so now it was time to bleed. BW is 98.7kg (217.6 lbs).

Weighted neutral grip pullups

51kg (112.4 lbs) 5x3: Hard. The last reps were not the prettiest at the last 2 sets.

46kg (101.4 lbs) 5x4: Easy. I think because I got warmed up properly.

41kg (90.4 lbs) 5x5: Ok, no problem.

36kg (79.4 lbs) 5x6: Ok, but last reps are getting ugly.

31kg (68.3 lbs) 5x6: No problem, but I didn't increase the rep count for these sets.

26kg (57.3 lbs) 5x7: Fine, but I had to rest more, and had to pump myself up for all sets to do it.

Felt so tired that was all I did.

Your pull ups are INSANELY strong like absolute mad lad level strong.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1